PDA

View Full Version : Wait....Someone help me out here.

Shaken1976
07-08-2013, 02:29 PM
We have Furlough and Sequestration....but we can still have an LGBT Pride luncheon and fun run? Shouldn't all of these pride events be cancelled until Furlough and Sequestration end? And I am not just talking about this particular one. But it seems every month is a new one.

71Fish
07-08-2013, 02:35 PM
If one is canx'd, all should be canx'd.

Shaken1976
07-08-2013, 02:38 PM
If one is canx'd, all should be canx'd.

That's what I am saying. For the duration of Furlough...shouldn't they all be cancelled. I know we don't "Fund" them per se..... But we all know government time goes into coordinating, attending, and all that. Not to mention government facilities used and on and on.

sandsjames
07-08-2013, 05:12 PM
You guys really had an LGBT function on base?

BOSS302
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
AFN Korea was playing "LGBT Awareness" spots. The approximately 20-second clip involved a purple background with stick figures all holding hands - some were male/male, others were female/female. Then there were flowers that came across the screen and then a rainbow flag background with the words "Respect all of our differences, everyone is equal" and then "LBGT Awareness."

I shit you not and I ask anyone in Korea who catches AFN to either confirm this or check to see if it is still playing. Even a simple call to AFN Korea could confirm it.

Shaken1976
07-08-2013, 06:06 PM
You guys really had an LGBT function on base?

I shit you not. I read it in our daily bulletin. I had to read it twice.

BOSS302
07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
I shit you not. I read it in our daily bulletin. I had to read it twice.

Stop copying me, female.

Pullinteeth
07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Here you go...Obama officially declared June LGBT pride month and mandated its observance by military and civilian members of the DoD...

http://www.jble.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123353782

Odd that he waited until June to do so but...

Pullinteeth
07-08-2013, 06:24 PM
YHGTBFSM;

Feb;
American Heart Month
National Black History Month

March;
Deaf History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month
Mental Retardation Awareness Month
National Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Month
National Multiple Sclerosis Education and Awareness Month
National Women's History Month
Spiritual Wellness Month

April;
Alcohol Awareness Month-I don't know about you but I celebrate this almost daily....
National Autism Awareness Month
National Occupational Therapy Month
National Parkinson's Awareness Month

May;
Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish-American Heritage Month
National Better Hearing and Speech Month
National Mental Health Month
National Older Americans Month
Women's Health Care Month

June;
Childrens Awareness Month
Gay and Lesbian Pride Month

Sept;
National Hispanic Heritage Month (Mexico)
Healthy Aging Month
Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month

Oct;
Diversity Awareness Month
German-American Heritage Month
Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual History Month
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
National Disability Employment Awareness Month
National Italian-American Heritage Month
National Mental Illness Awareness Month
Polish-American Heritage Month

Nov;
American Diabetes Month
Epilepsy Awareness Month
National AIDS Awareness Month
National American Indian Heritage Month
National Long Term Care Awareness Month

Dec;
Universal Human Rights Month

VFFTSGT
07-08-2013, 06:42 PM
We have Furlough and Sequestration....but we can still have an LGBT Pride luncheon and fun run? Shouldn't all of these pride events be cancelled until Furlough and Sequestration end? And I am not just talking about this particular one. But it seems every month is a new one.

We also are still spending $1,000 on award plaques because leadership wants to "take care of the people."

But, back in winter, which wasn't that long ago for some people, when there was money for awards...there was no money available for cold weather gear. It was suggested people should go buy their own cold weather boots, fleece jackets, and other cold gear because you get an annual clothing allowance.

BOSS302
07-08-2013, 06:52 PM
We also are still spending $1,000 on award plaques because leadership wants to "take care of the people."

But, back in winter, which wasn't that long ago for some people, when there was money for awards...there was no money available for cold weather gear. It was suggested people should go buy their own cold weather boots, fleece jackets, and other cold gear because you get an annual clothing allowance.

I always thought the clothing allowance was intended to maintain your required uniform items - ABU blouse/pants, ABU boots, service dress, hats, belts, socks, ribbons, AFSC badges, stripes, etc. A Gortex jacket or fleece zip-up is not "required" unless you consult your latest/greatest deployment mandatory items. Thus, the units provide them, using funds that they are supposed to be good stewards of.

In the UK, they have stopped providing reimbursement for the Vehicle Tax Disc ($351 annual fee) and the TV Tax (approximately $100 annual fee). I was told that we were reimbursed because it is a "tax" levied by a foreign government that we MUST pay or face a decline in QoL. I don't know if that was bullshit, but I can kind of see the rationale - U.S. Embassy workers routinely refuse to pay the London Congestion Charge because the U.S. Embassy says it is a tax; U.S. personnel living on the economy in the UK are exempted from paying Council Tax.

They stopped providing reimbursement because they said that, "Your COLA should cover these costs." Never mind that the COLA is an ever-fluctuating allowance based upon currency relationships and buying power/habits, whereas these "Vehicle Tax Discs" and "TV Taxes" are constant taxes that do nothing but rise in cost. It is also interesting that this announcement came after "Sequestration."

VFFTSGT
07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I always thought the clothing allowance was intended to maintain your required uniform items - ABU blouse/pants, ABU boots, service dress, hats, belts, socks, ribbons, AFSC badges, stripes, etc. A Gortex jacket or fleece zip-up is not "required" unless you consult your latest/greatest deployment mandatory items. Thus, the units provide them, using funds that they are supposed to be good stewards of.

In the UK, they have stopped providing reimbursement for the Vehicle Tax Disc ($351 annual fee) and the TV Tax (approximately $100 annual fee). I was told that we were reimbursed because it is a "tax" levied by a foreign government that we MUST pay or face a decline in QoL. I don't know if that was bullshit, but I can kind of see the rationale - U.S. Embassy workers routinely refuse to pay the London Congestion Charge because the U.S. Embassy says it is a tax; U.S. personnel living on the economy in the UK are exempted from paying Council Tax.

They stopped providing reimbursement because they said that, "Your COLA should cover these costs." Never mind that the COLA is an ever-fluctuating allowance based upon currency relationships and buying power/habits, whereas these "Vehicle Tax Discs" and "TV Taxes" are constant taxes that do nothing but rise in cost. It is also interesting that this announcement came after "Sequestration."

Oh it is; that is what the allowance is for...but apparently not everyone in leadership positions knows this or cares. But hey, they are taking care of the Airmen with awards so that is all that matters...

71Fish
07-08-2013, 07:16 PM
YHGTBFSM;

Feb;
American Heart Month

March;
Deaf History Month
Spiritual Wellness Month

April;
Alcohol Awareness Month-I don't know about you but I celebrate this almost daily....

May;

June;

Sept;
Healthy Aging Month

Oct;

Nov;
American Diabetes Month
Epilepsy Awareness Month

Dec;

I didn't fact check your list so I will assume it is true. That being the case, how did the gays swindle two months, Jun and Oct? A case could be made that they have Nov as well.

imported_DannyJ
07-08-2013, 07:24 PM
I declare July National Bacon Consumption and Appreciation Month.

BOSS302
07-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I didn't fact check your list so I will assume it is true. That being the case, how did the gays swindle two months, Jun and Oct? A case could be made that they have Nov as well.

It is plausible to merge "Irish-American Awareness" and "Alcohol Awareness."

imported_KnuckleDragger
07-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm taking August. Dibs.

imported_oih82w8
07-09-2013, 01:37 PM
If costs need to be cut...let's get serious about EVERYTHING. Handing out or observing anything that is not mission related should be thrown onto the table.

Roto
07-09-2013, 01:55 PM
But if they do that, how will SNCOs and Commanders look good by volunteering at all the events and functions?

Shaken1976
07-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm taking August. Dibs.

You can't have August....It is National Celebrate Shakens Birthday month

oldgrndr@
07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I didn't fact check your list so I will assume it is true. That being the case...

Ditto. Looks like "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is so bad they need two sequential months to recognize it. They must be exhausted after all that recognition.

KellyinAvon
07-09-2013, 04:21 PM
It is plausible to merge "Irish-American Awareness" and "Alcohol Awareness."

HEY!!

I'm not disagreeing, you just beat me to it.

garhkal
07-09-2013, 07:05 PM
That's what I am saying. For the duration of Furlough...shouldn't they all be cancelled. I know we don't "Fund" them per se..... But we all know government time goes into coordinating, attending, and all that. Not to mention government facilities used and on and on.

But that would be using common sense.. and we all now how our beloved govt like common sense.. NOT!

Here you go...Obama officially declared June LGBT pride month and mandated its observance by military and civilian members of the DoD...

What used to be in the june month slot for "heritage awareness observances?

YHGTBFSM;

Feb;
American Heart Month

March;
Deaf History Month
Spiritual Wellness Month

April;

May;

June;

Sept;
Healthy Aging Month

Oct;

Nov;
American Diabetes Month
Epilepsy Awareness Month

Dec;

HOLY S*(& batman that's a lot of awareness's each month. And why the duplication of all these separate groups when we have a universal human rights month, diversity month etc? WTF over..

But if they do that, how will SNCOs and Commanders look good by volunteering at all the events and functions?

maybe they will now actually have to get their fat asses out and volunteer in the community.. What a concept!

What gets me is i see there is an Irish American, Polish America, German American months, but i have NEVER seen the 'diversity' council on base ever celebrate those groups for military heritage. Why not?

Shaken1976
07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
But that would be using common sense.. and we all now how our beloved govt like common sense.. NOT!

What used to be in the june month slot for "heritage awareness observances?

HOLY S*(& batman that's a lot of awareness's each month. And why the duplication of all these separate groups when we have a universal human rights month, diversity month etc? WTF over..

maybe they will now actually have to get their fat asses out and volunteer in the community.. What a concept!

What gets me is i see there is an Irish American, Polish America, German American months, but i have NEVER seen the 'diversity' council on base ever celebrate those groups for military heritage. Why not?

Many years ago a friend and I were joking about an Irish-American Heritage committee meeting at the club.... We set it for March 17th. Funny to see that March is actually the awareness month.

Rusty Jones
07-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Three white men, born and raised in the US just like their parents and grandparents before them, are neighbors. Their names are Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Kowalski, and Mr. DiBiase.

Other than their names, culturally speaking, what's the difference between the three men? They likely have similar taste in fashion, music, and food; they speak the same language with no ethnic based dialect. And any variations in taste among these men are based on personal preference, not an ethnic one.

THAT'S why there's no celebration for these groups. A better argument could be made for "White American" month.

VFFTSGT
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Three white men, born and raised in the US just like their parents and grandparents before them, are neighbors. Their names are Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Kowalski, and Mr. DiBiase.

Other than their names, culturally speaking, what's the difference between the three men? They likely have similar taste in fashion, music, and food; they speak the same language with no ethnic based dialect. And any variations in taste among these men are based on personal preference, not an ethnic one.
THAT'S why there's no celebration for these groups. A better argument could be made for "White American" month.

Variations in culture are based on nothing but personal preferences. Over time, personal preferences were passed down and down and down the line...becoming part of the culture or ethnic group.

imported_Renazance
07-10-2013, 05:58 AM
We are a nation of immigrants. Every American's ancestors (besides Native) were immigrants at some point in time. Our differences are what make this nation great. It's not the Asian-American or Irish-American culture alone that makes our country so great; it's the culmination of all races and heritages that makes us who we are. We shouldn't celebrate being Polish-American, German-American, African-American, Filipino-American, Mexican-American, LGBT-American, Canadian-American, and so on. We should celebrate being American-American. American-American Awareness should be celebrated from 1 Jan to 31 Dec every year. No fancy luncheon, guest speaker, or parade needed. Simply celebrate by practicing your freedom to be who you are, eat whatever you want, wherever you want, speak your mind without fear of reprisal, gather and march to celebrate openly and freely, and to freely enjoy your basic human rights. That's how you celebrate, no money or man-hours required. 'MERICA!

Drackore
07-10-2013, 07:06 AM
How about a: "You are not fucking special and stop trying to push your agenda on other people" month?

imported_Renazance
07-10-2013, 07:14 AM
How about a: "You are not fucking special and stop trying to push your agenda on other people" month?

Which makes me wonder why there's not an Atheism Awareness month.

On another note, October is Diversity Awareness month. So why have all the other (insert culture/heritage/special condition) Awarenes months if Diversity Awareness is all inclusive? Seems redundant to me.

VFFTSGT
07-10-2013, 07:18 AM
We are a nation of immigrants. Every American's ancestors (besides Native) were immigrants at some point in time. Our differences are what make this nation great. It's not the Asian-American or Irish-American culture alone that makes our country so great; it's the culmination of all races and heritages that makes us who we are. We shouldn't celebrate being Polish-American, German-American, African-American, Filipino-American, Mexican-American, LGBT-American, Canadian-American, and so on. We should celebrate being American-American. American-American Awareness should be celebrated from 1 Jan to 31 Dec every year. No fancy luncheon, guest speaker, or parade needed. Simply celebrate by practicing your freedom to be who you are, eat whatever you want, wherever you want, speak your mind without fear of reprisal, gather and march to celebrate openly and freely, and to freely enjoy your basic human rights. That's how you celebrate, no money or man-hours required. 'MERICA!

Technically, even natives were immigrants to this land at one point...a very long time ago.

StuporFly
07-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Just cancel all luncheons, quarterly award or otherwise, if they require unit funds. Cancel the Air Force and other services annual balls. I hate getting pushed to help organize and fund-raise for these things anyway. We could also not fly some of the wasteful missions in Afghanistan, i.e. US and NATO AWACS don't do much of anything other than waste gas. Stand those down for a month or cut down the 24 hour coverage.

imported_Renazance
07-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Technically, even natives were immigrants to this land at one point...a very long time ago.

Touche, but I was referring to anyone who came to the US after the first settlers from Europe arrived.

Pullinteeth
07-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Here you are....

http://oeodm.od.nih.gov/diversity-calendar.htm

garhkal
07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Which makes me wonder why there's not an Atheism Awareness month.

On another note, October is Diversity Awareness month. So why have all the other (insert culture/heritage/special condition) Awarenes months if Diversity Awareness is all inclusive? Seems redundant to me.

Exactly.. Why have all the separate awareness months, but NOT have something equal for us "white folk" but you also have a special month just for diversity?