PDA

View Full Version : Too good not to share....

Pullinteeth
07-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Someone sued a CA school for breaching the separation of church and state because the school was teaching yoga....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/02/california-judge-allows-yoga-in-public-schools/?test=latestnews

71Fish
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Too many Buddhist words for them I guess.

Pullinteeth
07-02-2013, 03:42 PM
I guess I can see their point....watching my wife do yoga would make almost any man find religion!!! :couch::clap2:pray

DocBones
07-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Actually, it's more of a Shiva bent, as in Hindi religion, sort of. I teach yoga, for several different establishments out here. As I was told when I went to an ashram to get my teaching certificate, yoga should not be a place to push any religion, although some do.

Hindu/Hindi is, well, all about India. While I was at the ashram, people were allowed to go to other events, rather than the teachers course. All of the other events, classes, etc that had nothing to with teaching were all about Shivaistic principles.

In the classes that I teach, I leave religion out of my teachings.

Hope that this brings a little bit of understanding to this topic.

TJMAC77SP
07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
The article didn't say... but anyone want to take a wild guess as to what religion these parents probably were? ;)

Relevance?

If they are Christians is that more stupid than if they were Jewish?

Pullinteeth
07-03-2013, 01:22 PM
The article didn't say... but anyone want to take a wild guess as to what religion these parents probably were? ;)

I'm betting they were athiests that object to ANY religion simply because it is religion and believe that all religions and religious are evil....

LogDog
07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm betting they were athiests that object to ANY religion simply because it is religion and believe that all religions and religious are evil....
According to the L.A. Times, they are described as devout Christians.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-religious-objections-yoga-public-schools-20130701,0,5619776.story

And, the response from their lawyer was "There is a consistent anti-Christian bias in these cases, and a pro-Eastern or strange religion bias." So I'd say they are Christians.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/yoga-school-religion-_n_3530347.html

I live in the San Diego area about 30 miles from Encinitas and have watched and read the local media concerning this issue. IMO, the parents suing the school districts are religious nuts trying to impose their beliefs on others.

DocBones
07-04-2013, 04:41 PM
There is a difference between those that wrongly attack anything that doesn't hold up to their way too stringent ideas of what being a Christian means, and those that are REAL Christians.

Kind of like the difference between Muslims that attack anything that their mullah says to attack, and a good Koran reading and understanding Muslim.

People that THINK that they are Christians have a bit of explaining to do, before they are consigned to hell.

Any preacher or priest that passes on disinformation about what the Bible says has one hell of an afterlife awaiting them. Any preacher or priest that hides their light under a bushel, that goes online to cause strife by writing anti real Cjristian material is asking for a flaming hot time after death.

garhkal
07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow... so teaching yoga is pushing a certain religion? Guess then any school that has a martial arts course needs to stop as well, since most also have a religious bent (basis)..

DocBones
07-05-2013, 01:12 AM
garkhal, as I have already said, yoga instructors are not supposed to push Hindi beliefs. However, there are some that do.

RobotChicken
07-05-2013, 04:39 AM
"You go..'DocBones' and I hope India has their finger on the 'button' to take out those Pak-full-of-sand-$hit and send them flying back to mecca!"

garhkal
07-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Exactly how is doing yoga pushing a Hindi belief though?

DocBones
07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
garkhal,

With many of the asanas (poses), there are stories that can be connected to them, that have to do with the many different gods that Hindus believe in. Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu...and so on.

Some people do teach with the stories at one time or another. Most, I do believe, teach without instructing on the pantheon.

There is meditation, which can be taught, or not taught. Myself, I don't think that I have a 3rd eye embedded in my forehead. I don't think that having their hands on the knees type has to have my students connecting the thumb with any certain finger because each finger supposedly evokes a different outcome. My students are taught to place the hands on the knees with the fingers relaxed.

A lot of teachers teach their students to say 'ommm.' I take my people into meditation without saying that. 'Om' being what the Hindis say is the sound that was present at creation of the world.

I don't teach hindi religion while I teach yoga, Yoga should be taught as a nice set of stretching exercises, especially to students at high schools and middle schools. It should not be taught with Hindu religion as a part of it.

As I said earlier, upon arriving at an ashram to learn how to teach religion, one of the first things that we heard was that yoga should not be taught along with religion.

Kundalini (tantric) yoga is whole different set of poses and beliefs. That does involve some weird stuff, dude. It is not taught to school children, as far as I know.

Yoga should be taught as yoga, plain and simply, without the religious overtones that some allow into their yoga classes. Instructors of yoga can include some of the hindi belief, if their students know that that is just an explanation of hindi belief. From what I have know, if most instructors are going to be mentioning the stories of those beliefs, those instructors usually qualify those teachings with a statement of the stories being of hindi belief, and those stories are presented as a historical bit of background.

Some of the yoga instructors don't qualify their statements, because they don't see the connection between their teaching and their students getting into a different religion than that they were taught by their parents. Some of the teachers do believe in Hindi religion, and they are a sort of missionary, which the schools never ever thought of checking into who they were hiring to teach yoga.

Lastly, there are some instructors that teach in the high and middle school that realize that yoga should be taught with the whole emphasis on the students learning and practicing the poses, without pushing any sort of religion tied in. This is type that should teach in those surroundings. The schools must check with the instructor on what they will teach, before allowing rhem to teach in the school system.