PDA

View Full Version : JP4 and Benzene and Leukemia

f4mechanic
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I am trying to find out if anyone else has had health issues regarding the subject matter. :thinking5:

Part of my job as an Avionics Instrument Tech (1974-1983) was to enter fuel tanks to replace defective wiring and probes. We did not have protective gear such as respirators etc. All we had were white coveralls and an air hose stuck into the tank access panel.

I was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) in May 2012. The MSDS sheet for JP4 states that it is a cause of leukemia. Something is killing off my red blood cells before they mature and I have to have blood transfusions about every 3 weeks. The light chemo (pill and injections) have not worked. The VA is going to remove my spleen since it has doubled in size and the docs hope this will help. If not, it is on to the heavy duty chemo and then bone marrow transplant.

The VA keeps returning my claim as needing more info which I am out of.

Is anyone else out there going through this crap too? I need some ideas ! Civilian lawyers turn their back as soon as I say I smoke.

Thanks in advance !

raustin0017
07-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Will pray all goes well for you my Brother.

Maggie80
07-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I am an Industrial Hygienist. I will tell you the best option is to walk in to base legal and file of Freedom of Information request for the last 20 years of Industrial Hygiene surveys and any environmental/personal air monitoring conducted. Go back 20 years no matter if they try to tell you DOEHRS doesnt go back that far. Then get a lawyer and stop telling people you smoke. You can not be positive this is the fault of the government but they can not be positive it isnt. You may also want o establish an FB or something looking for others going thru the same thing. Remember-the VA is not there to help you but to protect the Government.

TSgt"M"
07-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Can someone tell me the differences in the fuels used in aircraft? I was at a small outpost where we ran JP-4 in our diesels, jet A in aircraft or any flaver of the month.

Maggie80
07-01-2013, 09:32 PM
I am an Industrial Hygienist. I will tell you the best option is to walk in to base legal and file of Freedom of Information request for the last 20 years of Industrial Hygiene surveys and any environmental/personal air monitoring conducted. Go back 20 years no matter if they try to tell you DOEHRS doesnt go back that far. Then get a lawyer and stop telling people you smoke. You can not be positive this is the fault of the government but they can not be positive it isnt. You may also want o establish an FB or something looking for others going thru the same thing. Remember-the VA is not there to help you but to protect the Government.

Oh and I should of been more clear. You are not looking for personal air sampling done specifically for you. It probably doesnt exist. You are looking for the SEG. Similar Exposure Group. Say refuellers for C130 at Camp X etc.

If you were to call my office for the info, I would not provide it. Remember I work for the Government and the only thing that makes me jump is an FOI. Think Camp Lejuene water. I hope this helps.

f4mechanic
07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
GodFather, Thank you for all the links. I am going to print some of them and take them to my local VSO to add to my file with the VA.

Maggie80, Thank you for the info. I had not thought of that path. Yepper, gots to stop telling them I smoke. I am going to quit before my surgery ! Honest !

raustin0017, Thank you for the prayers Bro !

f4mechanic
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
GodFather, the first link (bob--notes) in your last post is something I started a while back. I had no idea it could be found. :joyous:

imported_Sgt HULK
07-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Terribly sorry to hear you are going through this OP, good luck and god speed in your recovery.

Godfather nice work on the information

hope for the best buddy

f4mechanic
07-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Would you like me to delete your bob link for privacy?
If you want me to dig some more, let me know.
Best of luck brother!

Steve

The link is OK but thanks for asking. Brother, I can use all the shovels available !!! LOL

One of your links showed me a medicine that I have not tried yet! I will talk to my Doc in the morning.

Hulk, thanks for the wishes! I will beat this stuff with all the support I have. Got to keep a positive outlook and keep on rockin !!

efmbman
07-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Yepper, gots to stop telling them I smoke.

First off, I wish you all the best in your fight. I can't imagine what you must be going through. But a word of advice:

Don't try to hide the fact that you smoke / smoked. Those will try to deny your claim have lawyers, too. Hiding something like that would make you look bad should it ever get to the appeals process. Best bet is just to be honest. Smoking in and of itself is very very difficult to link to your condition.

Just my two cents... I mean no offense.

f4mechanic
07-03-2013, 12:53 PM
First off, I wish you all the best in your fight. I can't imagine what you must be going through. But a word of advice:

Don't try to hide the fact that you smoke / smoked. Those will try to deny your claim have lawyers, too. Hiding something like that would make you look bad should it ever get to the appeals process. Best bet is just to be honest. Smoking in and of itself is very very difficult to link to your condition.

Just my two cents... I mean no offense.

efmbman,

You are correct. I can not hide what is in my medical records and I suck at lying anyways. No offense taken because I can use all the advice I can get too. Sometimes, this stuff makes my thinking process difficult and my wife tells me I am not tracking very well. Thank you for your help.

GodFather,

Sheesh, I gots lots of reading to do now!

"Did you contact your local va rep or dav rep to help?"

I contacted my local VSO when I moved here and we forwarded my file to the American Legion. No word from them since the last time the VA said they needed more info.

"Did you request your military record on file, maybe things mention work
And exposure in aprs, decs, OSHA training, etc."

There is nothing in my military record, medical records or APRs indicating anything. I rarely went to the doctor and when I did, it was because of my back pain.

"Were you ever in the Gulf? "

The Gulf is one place I never got to visit.

I really appreciate all the work you are doing. :yourock:

Mr. Happy
07-05-2013, 04:41 AM
Can someone tell me the differences in the fuels used in aircraft? I was at a small outpost where we ran JP-4 in our diesels, jet A in aircraft or any flaver of the month.

It's based on the cut during the refining process. The US military phased out JP-4 in the early 1990's. It was a nasty and volatile grade. Today we use JP-8 which is a more refined grade than JP-4, but regardless, all petroleum products are toxic to humans. Soon, the AF will convert to commercial Jet A with additives. All the different grades have differences in properties such as density, flash point, freeze point etc. Aircraft can burn a wide range of kerosene based fuels. I wouldn't want any grade absorbed into my body.

RobotChicken
07-05-2013, 04:54 AM
"On a med cruise the ship discharged JP-4/5 with the desalination intakes engaged! Needless to say; everything smelled,tasted like AV-Gas for a month! We would lite the sheen off our coffee with our zippo's!! True sea story.."

VFFTSGT
07-18-2013, 06:14 PM
http://www.va.gov/vetapp99/files2/9915488.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files5/0633764.txt

What is pathetic is VA denying claims when similar claims have already gone through the system up to appeals and awarded. This just shows the VA does not care about veterans. If they did, they wouldn't make every single veteran fight the same fight over and over again when the VA already has all the information.

f4mechanic
07-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Got the VA look into the new med I found in one of your links, finally. Had to get a top off of life fuel on the 18th. I was down to 6.9 for hemoglobin and I usually get topped off at around 8. Hard to type cause joints in hands and arms are swollen and hurt. grrrrrrrrr. going back thru all APRs too. just in case I missed something. Later:peep

RobotChicken
08-16-2013, 09:04 AM
GodFather, Thank you for all the links. I am going to print some of them and take them to my local VSO to add to my file with the VA.

Maggie80, Thank you for the info. I had not thought of that path. Yepper, gots to stop telling them I smoke. I am going to quit before my surgery ! Honest !

raustin0017, Thank you for the prayers Bro !

"We all thank you for all the links you post for reliable information 'Tak'."

f4mechanic
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I hate to see that Godfather has left the forum for whatever reason.

I filed my latest appeal for my claim through my VSO. I included some new information/evidence such as my training record for Avionics Instruments which showed "In tank maintenance" for the Liquid Quantity Indicating Systems. Also, I finally got a letter from my Oncologist stating that my exposure to benzene was most likely the cause of my cancer. The VSO said that this letter should be the thing to get my claim approved. I will have a face to face meeting with the Disability Review Officer (DRO) along with my American Legion disability representative. No telling when this will happen but at least it is a step in the right direction.

VFFTSGT said "What is pathetic is VA denying claims when similar claims have already gone through the system up to appeals and awarded. This just shows the VA does not care about veterans. If they did, they wouldn't make every single veteran fight the same fight over and over again when the VA already has all the information. "

So true ! It is like we are guilty until we can prove ourselves innocent ! I have come to the conclusion that the folks that process the claims do not even read the evidence we provide and do not use any logic in making their decisions. Seems like it is just rubber stamp job to keep the process going back and forth until it comes time to forward the case to the DRO or Appeals Board or Court.

I just hope that the stuff I am going through and the information all of you have given me will help someone else going through this crap.

Thanks again to all of you ! :beerchug: http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q450/tisdale_qe/smileys/smileys%202/19492209_320X240.jpg (http://s351.photobucket.com/user/tisdale_qe/media/smileys/smileys%202/19492209_320X240.jpg.html)

f4mechanic
10-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Update.
VA is removing my spleen this coming Tuesday, 29 Oct. My Iron count is getting too high to continue blood transfusions. If this does not help, then the next steps are chemo and then bone marrow transplant.

Still waiting to have a face to face with my DRO and American Legion Rep.

Keep a prayin for me ! Thanks !:thumb