PDA

View Full Version : Athiest monument unveiled in Fl at court house.

garhkal
06-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Was watching the news at lunch and saw they had a piece on this story of a monument for the Atheists out there, getting unveiled in Florida outside a court house.

I always thought that atheists believe in nothing, therefore how could they really have a monument?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/29/atheists-unveil-monument-in-florida-and-promise-to-build-50-more/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/atheists-install-monument-beside-ten-commandments-in-front-of-north-florida-courthouse/2013/06/29/32f59b26-e0f1-11e2-a0de-145598a7b2b7_story.html

http://news.yahoo.com/atheists-unveil-monument-ten-commandments-191931088.html

Measure Man
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Definition of MONUMENT

1 obsolete : a burial vault : sepulchre

2 a written legal document or record : treatise

3 (1) : a lasting evidence, reminder, or example of someone or something notable or great (2) : a distinguished person a memorial stone or a building erected in remembrance of a person or event

4 archaic : an identifying mark : evidence; also : portent, sign

5 obsolete : a carved statue : effigy

6 a boundary or position marker (as a stone)

7 national monument

8 a written tribute

Banned
06-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Was watching the news at lunch and saw they had a piece on this story of a monument for the Atheists out there, getting unveiled in Florida outside a court house.

I always thought that atheists believe in nothing, therefore how could they really have a monument?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/29/atheists-unveil-monument-in-florida-and-promise-to-build-50-more/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/atheists-install-monument-beside-ten-commandments-in-front-of-north-florida-courthouse/2013/06/29/32f59b26-e0f1-11e2-a0de-145598a7b2b7_story.html

http://news.yahoo.com/atheists-unveil-monument-ten-commandments-191931088.html

Of course humans deserve a monument - we've accomplished so much. EVERY monument should be dedicated to humans (or dogs, dolphins, etc), not imaginary beings.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Of course humans deserve a monument - we've accomplished so much. EVERY monument should be dedicated to humans (or dogs, dolphins, etc), not imaginary beings.

According to YOU...

Banned
06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
According to YOU...

If an imaginary being disagrees with me, he is welcome to chime in.

How come God needs Christians to speak for him? Why can't he speak for himself? Why is he dependent on you to build monuments and worship him? Does he have adequacy issues?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-30-2013, 04:22 PM
If an imaginary being disagrees with me, he is welcome to chime in.

How come God needs Christians to speak for him? Why can't he speak for himself? Why is he dependent on you to build monuments and worship him? Does he have adequacy issues?

These are great questions, but more importantly why do you insult other people's beliefs? It's safe to say that most of the people reading MTF are Christian and good people, so again, why do you insult them?

On another note, don't the rules on this thread forbid out-right insults to any one religion?

FA- what say you? Slam Islam get banned, slam Christianity get a free pass?

Banned
07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
These are great questions, but more importantly why do you insult other people's beliefs? It's safe to say that most of the people reading MTF are Christian and good people, so again, why do you insult them?

If they're great questions, why are you dodging them? Why does this "god" need a monument? What has this god done for us? Why does he deserve recognition?

Save the monuments for the scientists, war heroes, philantropists, etc. Some needy attention-whoring fuck-stick up in the sky doesn't need any more recognition.

On another note, don't the rules on this thread forbid out-right insults to any one religion?

FA- what say you? Slam Islam get banned, slam Christianity get a free pass?

Don't worry bud, I'm not singling out any one religion. All religions are false, all imaginary friends are childish.

And the fact that your only response is to whine to the admins to delete my posts and/or ban me just shows that you have no argument, and you yourself know your beliefs are foolish.

Pullinteeth
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM

It isn't a monument to a diety or even to athiesm per se...it is more a counter to the religious monument in the "free speech zone." If a religion gets to advertize on public ground, their stance is that everyone should be able to do so (or the religious one should be removed). I have no problem with a bench with quotes by Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams etc... Of course the man responsible for the bench is kinda like 'ol Joe-doesn't just want people to leave him alone, goes out of his way to bash religion and the religious....

Pullinteeth
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1011315_324755310992920_488771149_n.jpg

Is that her quote on the bench?

Banned
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1011315_324755310992920_488771149_n.jpg

raustin0017
07-01-2013, 06:48 PM
If they're great questions, why are you dodging them? Why does this "god" need a monument? What has this god done for us? Why does he deserve recognition?

Save the monuments for the scientists, war heroes, philantropists, etc. Some needy attention-whoring fuck-stick up in the sky doesn't need any more recognition.

Don't worry bud, I'm not singling out any one religion. All religions are false, all imaginary friends are childish.

And the fact that your only response is to whine to the admins to delete my posts and/or ban me just shows that you have no argument, and you yourself know your beliefs are foolish.

My 2-cents. The fact that every culture in the world, every country in the world and every person in the world has a calendar which is centered around one single event....the birth of Jesus Christ...should bring up a few questions on why? This is 2013 which is 2,013 years past the birth of Jesus. All events before His birth and after His birth on Earth...have centered around this single event. God is alive and well.

Pullinteeth
07-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I really really hope this post was sarcasm....

Comedy? Hell just the country of China says it is three different years (4711, 4710, or 4650) and NONE of them have anything to do wit JC.... Islamic calendar has it as 1434... Nevermind that AD stands for After Death NOT Afterbirth.... Or the fact that there are what? 30? 40 different calendars currently in use today...

Banned
07-01-2013, 07:02 PM
The Christian Calendar is the Global standard.

And you believe that's the only calendar in existence?

Pullinteeth
07-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Actually AD mean Anno Domini (year of our lord).

I do agree however that our calendar doesn't serve to prove or disprove anything

I stand corrected. TY!

Banned
07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
My 2-cents. The fact that every culture in the world, every country in the world and every person in the world has a calendar which is centered around one single event....the birth of Jesus Christ...should bring up a few questions on why? This is 2013 which is 2,013 years past the birth of Jesus. All events before His birth and after His birth on Earth...have centered around this single event. God is alive and well.

I really really hope this post was sarcasm....

raustin0017
07-01-2013, 07:12 PM

Banned
07-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Pullinteeth
The Christian Calendar isn't the Global standard.

There you go....fixed it for you.

71Fish
Why is it that athiests are so much more annoying than christians? If a christian is bothering you, you can walk away or tell the to get bent. But athiest will keep coming back, like an annoying vegan or pesky fly. Athiests are by far the most annoying.

In my experience, Jews are much less annoying that athiest and christians. Muslims are pretty annoying as well with the killing and all. Plus your white guilt being offended by everything anti-muslim only furthers their cause.

TJMAC77SP
07-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Tell you what...I'm out of this topic and will say a prayer for all non-believers.

Thanks for that but don't be upset. You proved a universal use of a Christian standard. Not worth falling on the sword.

TJMAC77SP
Tell you what...I'm out of this topic and will say a prayer for all non-believers.

Thanks for that but don't be upset. You proved a universal use of a Christian standard. Not worth falling on the sword.

TJMAC77SP
Comedy? Hell just the country of China says it is three different years (4711, 4710, or 4650) and NONE of them have anything to do wit JC.... Nevermind that AD stands for After Death NOT Afterbirth.... Or the fact that there are what? 30? 40 different calendars currently in use today...

I do agree however that our calendar doesn't serve to prove or disprove anything

raustin0017
07-01-2013, 07:22 PM

Nope...does not prove anything...it is just one of those things that is hard to explain.

Measure Man
07-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Nevermind that AD stands for After Death NOT Afterbirth....

The term Anno Domini is Medieval Latin, translated as In the year of the Lord, and as in the year of Our Lord. It is sometimes specified more fully as Anno Domini Nostri Iesu (Jesu) Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ"). This calendar era is based on the traditionally reckoned year of the conception or birth of Jesus of Nazareth, with AD counting years from the start of this epoch, and BC denoting years before the start of the era. There is no year zero in this scheme, so the year AD 1 immediately follows the year 1 BC. This dating system was devised in 525, but was not widely used until after 800.

Pullinteeth
07-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Nope...does not prove anything...it is just one of those things that is hard to explain.

How exactly is that? Colonialism played a large role and the fact that the U.S. and Europe were the dominant economic powers for centuries influenced even some non-christian countries to adopt that calendar-but not ALL.

See? Pretty easy to explain.

raustin0017
07-01-2013, 07:25 PM

It is the calendar you use. Unless you don't keep track of the date. I know...there are other calendars out there...but the Global Standard for all mankind is the Christian Calendar. Ask a Buddhist, Muslim, atheist what day it is and see what they tell you. Funny how all will tell you the same info.

TJMAC77SP
07-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Predomiantly Christian countries use the Gregorian calendar (AD/BC). Pretty simple really. Adopted by the UN which made it an unofficial standard. In Israel today is 23rd of Tamuz in the year 5773 (although I don't know of one Israeli who doesn't also know it's the 1st of July, 2013 (AD)

raustin0017
07-01-2013, 07:28 PM

garhkal
07-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Why is it that athiests are so much more annoying than christians? If a christian is bothering you, you can walk away or tell the to get bent. But athiest will keep coming back, like an annoying vegan or pesky fly. Athiests are by far the most annoying.

I've known several christians who would continue to bug you just as much as athiests.. but in general i agree, they are the more annoying.

71Fish
07-01-2013, 08:12 PM
I've known several christians who would continue to bug you just as much as athiests.. but in general i agree, they are the more annoying.

Usually I just say something offensive and they avoid me after that.

Banned
07-01-2013, 08:45 PM

In my experience, Jews are much less annoying that athiest and christians. Muslims are pretty annoying as well with the killing and all. Plus your white guilt being offended by everything anti-muslim only furthers their cause.

What a rambling and bitter post!

71Fish
07-01-2013, 10:46 PM

This is how you call someone bitter? Do you need a hug?

CYBERFX1024
07-01-2013, 11:50 PM

Hello.... That's the pot calling the kettle black.

Almost everything you post is rambling and bitter. It's like you got a green weenie up your butt and you don't know how to get it out.

Banned
07-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Hello.... That's the pot calling the kettle black.

Almost everything you post is rambling and bitter. It's like you got a green weenie up your butt and you don't know how to get it out.

I think its fair to call my posts bitter - it is bitter for me to see religious zealots taking over the country. I do think however I'm more concise, not "rambling".

Frank Castle
07-25-2013, 12:23 AM
I think its fair to call my posts bitter - it is bitter for me to see religious zealots taking over the country. I do think however I'm more concise, not "rambling".

I've been off here for about a year but I bet I can still guess who this person was.