PDA

View Full Version : Sick and tired of volunteering, leave me the f*ck alone!

Shadowless
06-25-2013, 05:35 AM
It's been nearly 10 years and I am at my breaking point. Please for the love of god, please stop harassing me with daily emails about volunteering every day weekend. I am so sick and tired of losing my weekends. If I want to volunteer I will do it when I want too, but I am not going to be forced to give up every day weekend. Is anyone sick and tired of this as much as I am? Volunteering once a quarter should be plenty and if you are lucky enough to be able to 'volunteer' during duty hours well then luck you, but I can't so please leave me the f*ck alone on my weekends!

Shadowless
06-25-2013, 06:17 AM
http://www.altus.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123277577

Link doesnt work.

Shadowless
06-25-2013, 07:19 AM
http://www.altus.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123277577

Commentary by CMSgt Robert Austin
Command Chief, 97 Air Mobility Wing

10/29/2011 - ALTUS AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. -- Have you ever heard someone say, "It shouldn't matter if I volunteer for stuff? What's important is that I do my job instead of running around volunteering for everything."
This past week, I had the opportunity to talk to some of our outstanding young Airmen. We found ourselves in a discussion about how some Airmen spend time away from their duty sections volunteering for projects and organizations. A couple of the Airmen said they resented this because it left them with more of a workload to cover. It was also apparent that some had an issue with the emphasis put on volunteer work for quarterly awards and below the zone promotions. Well of course they hold resentment, their co workers get to go fill blocks while they get stuck picking up their slack and they get looked down upon when they don't want to volunteer during their off duty time. Why should they, there co workers can volunteer during their duty day, why can't they?

So, why is volunteering important? Should volunteering be encouraged at all? Many things happen on Air Force bases because of volunteers. Event planners rely on volunteers to help coordinate, setup and run functions. Honor Guard volunteers allow ceremonial honors to be given when appropriate. Not sure what he is talking about, base honor guard is a year long job where you work one month with your job, then one month honor guard. For most, the time with the honor guard is a break from their hectic workplace. Professional organizations afford opportunities for networking and improving conditions thanks to involved volunteers.You mean the top three? top four? AFSA? The same volunteers who leave work after lunch for a 'meeting' and never return? The same ones who have burger burns during their duty day, or have BBQs on Fridays after lunch? I'll bet you will never see them doing this on one of their weekends. Roads, parks and playgrounds are kept clean because of volunteers.Sorry, but I refuse to pay another second picking up some ones trash on adopt a street, just leave the damn streets a mess, trust me they will never stay clean. Many youth activities and sports exist solely because of volunteer Airmen.I disagree, these activities and sports exist because of the kids parents who leave work early to go coach their kids baseball game.

Additionally, volunteers help build relationships with local communities.Yes, because otherwise these same local communities would hate the military I'm sure most of you have heard of Habitat for Humanity and the Special Olympics. Both are extremely worthwhile organizations and are dependent upon volunteer support. I have done both several times, these are perfect examples of volunteer work that can be done ONCE PER QUARTER, not every damn weekend. Air Force members generally donate hundreds of hours to assist with these and other causes.Whats the divorce rate again? Air Force members are often involved in their local communities through school boards, cleanup projects and coaching sports. Of course, as long as its during duty hours.

Because of this relationship, numerous local communities offer various programs for military personnel. I have been to several bases where the downtown community actively supported, appreciated and welcomed Airmen.Have you ever been overseas? They hate us. Various gifts and prizes are donated by local businesses to military awards programs. Really, please tell me where...Discount tickets and special appreciation days are standard fare in some areas. Has nothing to do with volunteering, its the companies trying to look good and bring customers in during down periods or slow days.

Granted, we are not in the military to be professional volunteers, we have a mission to do.Really, because I forgot about that mission, I get ten times the amount of emails about volunteering then I do any sort of mission. But there are many organizations, functions and relationships that would not exist if Airmen didn't volunteer.Well maybe they are not meant to exist then? Hopefully, our supervisors are doing what they can to support those Airmen who desire to volunteer.You mean voluntelling them? Forcing them? Threatening a 3 or 4 EPR? Even if you don't have time to break away from your demanding work schedule, there are plenty of volunteer opportunities on the weekends.Or I can use this time to...relax? Recharge my battery? Watch tv or a movie? Actually I can do whatever I want... If you're concerned about your family time when you are away from work, find an avenue to volunteer where your family can participate as well.Sorry my family doesn't want to volunteer every weekend either. For me, it is all about finding an opportunity to volunteer to fulfill the desire to serve others. It is a passion of mine and if you were to find your passion, volunteering becomes easy. As long as its part of the duty right?

When you understand the value of volunteering, the excuses don't seem to hold water. So, the next time you hear someone say that it doesn't matter if they volunteer, just reply "Don't hate...participate. are you serious?"

CJSmith
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/GaR5Iki.jpg

WeaponsTSGT
06-25-2013, 10:25 AM
It's not as if they take roll call at those events, just say you were there and keep your weekends.

ttribe
06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty much in agreement. I was looking at my APR/EPRs through the years and see that I had no vol activity in the 80's and most of the 90's. Volunteerism has been pushed from the top I think to fill in the white spaces on perfomance reports. My last 22 years in the AF I was in flying units that were over half staffed with officers. You almost never saw them in any appreciable numbers at vol events pushed from above.

KC-10 FE
06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I co-sign the bill.

I told my supervisor the same exact thing when I was an A1C back in th day. He then left me alone.

It is really pathetic that the good bullets on an EPR are he ones that are spent away from doing your actual job.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
So glad to rid my life of the utter non-sense I dealt with in the AF. Volunteerism is something you choose to do to help others, and it's a great feeling to do so. That said, you gain employment to make a living for you and your family (yes, it's true). A civilian employer hires you to perform a job that will impact the bottom line, period. If the AF expected commanders to use squadron funds to pay your salary for on-duty time spent volunteering, then any expectations to do so would come to a screeching halt. I guess it's easy to waste someone else's money (taxpayer) when it doesn't impact you, but not so much when it's your own (so to speak)!

As for companies that "support" the troops, they typically do so with the expectation to have their company name highlighted in some form or fashion. This to them is refered to as a Return on Investment, with a tangible return (ie, more business/more money). This shouldn't be confused with the AF's definition of return on investment, commonly using fantasy statements such as "Served funnel cakes at the airshow--reinstilled sense of patriotism for 150k attendees."

Juggs
06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
This is so simple. Either volunteer on don't. It is up to each individual to make the decision. Never in my 30-year career did I see anyone forced to go to the local VA Cemetery and place flags on graves.
Come on...pull you head out and take a look at reality. Education and volunteerism is OPTIONAL. Accomplishing the mission is not.

For those who are Active Duty Enlisted: If you want to position yourself for success in todays AF you must be more than average. The average Amn/NCOs are striving to become a professional in their primary duties. Those professionals can compete for awards within their AFSC without off-duty education/volunteering. If those same Amn/NCOs want to position themselves for recognition for Quarterly/Annual awards at the Sq/Gp/Wg level and above...they have to do more than their primary duty. It has always been that way and always will be. Take a look at last years 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year. Those professionals were more than just good at their jobs. They were great at their jobs, involved with education and they volunteer. Funny how that works out?

The AF has guidelines to be able to compete for recognition. Not my rules...they are the AF rules. It was my job to position my Airmen to be successful using the rules provided.

For those who are against education/volunteering: You are setting the example for your Airmen to follow. One way or another...they will follow you.

Yet the AF generally recognizes those that are good at PT volunteer a lot, get school knocked out and are mediocre at their job. I didn't imagine it, I witnessed it.

raustin0017
06-25-2013, 02:28 PM
This is so simple. Either volunteer on don't. It is up to each individual to make the decision. Never in my 30-year career did I see anyone forced to go to the local VA Cemetery and place flags on graves.
Come on...pull you head out and take a look at reality. Education and volunteerism is OPTIONAL. Accomplishing the mission is not.

For those who are Active Duty Enlisted: If you want to position yourself for success in todays AF you must be more than average. The average Amn/NCOs are striving to become a professional in their primary duties. Those professionals can compete for awards within their AFSC without off-duty education/volunteering. If those same Amn/NCOs want to position themselves for recognition for Quarterly/Annual awards at the Sq/Gp/Wg level and above...they have to do more than their primary duty. It has always been that way and always will be. Take a look at last years 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year. Those professionals were more than just good at their jobs. They were great at their jobs, involved with education and they volunteer. Funny how that works out?

The AF has guidelines to be able to compete for recognition. Not my rules...they are the AF rules. It was my job to position my Airmen to be successful using the rules provided.

For those who are against education/volunteering: You are setting the example for your Airmen to follow. One way or another...they will follow you.

Juggs
06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Yet the AF generally recognizes those that are good at PT volunteer a lot, get school knocked out and are mediocre at their job. I didn't imagine it, I witnessed it.

20+Years
06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Don't hate, participate!

SomeRandomGuy
06-25-2013, 02:36 PM

I am not sure what squadrons you have been a part of. I have never been part of a unit where someone who sucked at their primary duty has won an award. I am not saying it never happens but it is a flat out lie to say that the AF normally recognizes these people. If these people are winning awards it is because everyone else sucks at the job too so they picked someone based on the things you mentioned. The closest thing I have ever seen is when I was part of a unit where our only two officers were the commander and a Lt. Every now and then the commander would put the Lt in for CGO of the Quarter but he made sure the Lt did something to deserve it. Some quarters we simply had no one win CGO for the quarter for the squadron.

Juggs
06-25-2013, 02:49 PM
I am not sure what squadrons you have been a part of. I have never been part of a unit where someone who sucked at their primary duty has won an award. I am not saying it never happens but it is a flat out lie to say that the AF normally recognizes these people. If these people are winning awards it is because everyone else sucks at the job too so they picked someone based on the things you mentioned. The closest thing I have ever seen is when I was part of a unit where our only two officers were the commander and a Lt. Every now and then the commander would put the Lt in for CGO of the Quarter but he made sure the Lt did something to deserve it. Some quarters we simply had no one win CGO for the quarter for the squadron.

I said mediocre. Didn't say sucked.

When I joined the AF it was to be part of career field that deployed, engaged with and killed the enemy. Not do bake sales or volunteer to cook at an airshow when I was going tdy the next day.

20+Years
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
There is a difference between doing your job well and an awards package saying you did. A TOP III pres that spent the qtr neck deep in a BBQ and SNCO induction ceremony will most likely have job bullets that were performed by subordinates while they were out of the office. "Oversaw 14K workorders...blah, blah, blah....#1 in ACC".

You know it happens, don't deny it.

technomage1
06-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Same here. I've seen people who didn't do their primary duties worth a darn win the quarterly and yearly awards at unit after unit. When you're left holding the bag work wise and then not getting any recognition besides, it gets old after a while.

SomeRandomGuy
06-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Same here. I've seen people who didn't do their primary duties worth a darn win the quarterly and yearly awards at unit after unit. When you're left holding the bag work wise and then not getting any recognition besides, it gets old after a while.

I guess maybe I was just lucky and was at units where supervisors did a better job of limiting on duty volunteering. As a supervisor I know that I very rarely allowed people to leave the duty section for volunteer work unless we were very slow. I suppose this is maybe a problem when the SNCOs are leaving the shop but this seems like a very easy probelm for supervisors to solve when it comes to Amn asking to volunteer during duty hours.

imnohero
06-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't think the objection is to volunteering. I believe it is to being coerced into it with threats about career impacts and being "volun-told"

BOSS302
06-25-2013, 03:43 PM

There simply isn't time for the fluff anymore. As said by General Breedlove in 2012, the Air Force will be the smallest it has been since its birth in 1947. The ranks are thin. Our mentality is "war" yet our budget is "peace." We refuel 30 year old fighter jets with 50 year old tanker aircraft. The expertise pool in the active duty military is shrinking rapidly and the ranks are fast becoming generalists who rely on contractors.

There simply isn't time anymore for the stupidity and the fluff. The A1Cs, the Technical Sergeants, and the Lieutenants are having to deal with enough "stupid" as it is without worrying about "filling squares" and "filling voids with spaces."

The act of volunteering on one's own time - own time, not duty time - is admirable. The emphasis placed on volunteering by "leaders" within the ranks of the Air Force is laughable. There is absolutely no reason I should have to let three airmen go at 10am during the duty day so they can "plan/organize" the squadron BBQ on Friday; they have jobs to do and training to accomplish.

Everyone knows the type that ditches their work center so that they can "execute" a volunteer bullet during duty hours. Everyone knows the type of SNCOs and officers who hold this type in high regard simply because they are more "visible."

Yes, they are as visible as the damn prom queen, but prom queens will not win the next war.

Juggs
06-25-2013, 04:05 PM
I was lucky enough to be in a unit where there wasn't much volunteerism. We were busy deploying and going tdy constantly. However, units I've had buddy's and my wife's units have repeatedly hosed folks for that exact thing. Med group for example, I've had horrible techs get repeat awards.

20+Years
06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Yes, they are as visible as the damn prom queen, but prom queens will not win the next war.

They won't win the war... but the prom queen gets promoted. And there is the problem. The prom queen sets the bar for the "triple threat".

BRUWIN
06-25-2013, 06:32 PM
It's been nearly 10 years and I am at my breaking point. Please for the love of god, please stop harassing me with daily emails about volunteering every day weekend. I am so sick and tired of losing my weekends. If I want to volunteer I will do it when I want too, but I am not going to be forced to give up every day weekend. Is anyone sick and tired of this as much as I am? Volunteering once a quarter should be plenty and if you are lucky enough to be able to 'volunteer' during duty hours well then luck you, but I can't so please leave me the f*ck alone on my weekends!

Maybe you're not volunteering for the things that suit you as a person. If you found something you were truly dedicated to you wouldn't mind volunteering at least 3-4 days a month. 3-4 full days a month is not much and is the minimum I think every Airman should be volunteering.

I can e-mail you some alternative volunteer opportunities if you like...just PM me your e-mail address.

Drackore
07-08-2013, 07:19 AM
I am hoping that I really sense sarcasm. If I was losing an Amn 3-4 days a month to volunteer crap, I'd slam them.

I don't have time most weeks to lose an Amn for 3-4 hrs much less an average of an entire day a week. Eliminate some of the bullcrap busy work that means nothing to the mission and then, possibly, I can. Til then...they are in the shop doing that bullcrap busy work and awards be damned.

Maybe you're not volunteering for the things that suit you as a person. If you found something you were truly dedicated to you wouldn't mind volunteering at least 3-4 days a month. 3-4 full days a month is not much and is the minimum I think every Airman should be volunteering.

I can e-mail you some alternative volunteer opportunities if you like...just PM me your e-mail address.

VFFTSGT
07-08-2013, 06:25 PM

Setup up Outlook rules to permanently delete emails containing your choice of key words, then you never see the emails.

Mine is setup for things like: 5/6, 56, Top 3, Top III, Volunteer, Prayer, Booster, Club, and a few others. Anytime I get junk mail I don't like I add a key word to the list.

My last 2 EPR's are firewall 5's and not one volunteer statement on them except cooking at the squadron picnic during duty hours. I also got the same paycheck on the 1st and 15th as every other TSgt...well actually, prob a little more b/c of location but you get the drift.

ttribe
07-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Setup up Outlook rules to permanently delete emails containing your choice of key words, then you never see the emails.

Mine is setup for things like: 5/6, 56, Top 3, Top III, Volunteer, Prayer, Booster, Club, and a few others. Anytime I get junk mail I don't like I add a key word to the list.

My last 2 EPR's are firewall 5's and not one volunteer statement on them except cooking at the squadron picnic during duty hours. I also got the same paycheck on the 1st and 15th as every other TSgt...well actually, prob a little more b/c of location but you get the drift.

you might also add the words "PME, of the quarter, of the month, EPR, award, Dining in, Dining Out, General, First Sgt., CBT, Safey, & training" I found my email fairly light and stress free with a few simple Out Look rules.

Any other good words to add out there????

BOSS302
07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
you might also add the words "PME, of the quarter, of the month, EPR, award, Dining in, Dining Out, General, First Sgt., CBT, Safey, & training" I found my email fairly light and stress free with a few simple Out Look rules.

Any other good words to add out there????

"Awareness, motorcycle, DUI, sexual assault, BRUWIN"

20+Years
07-08-2013, 07:19 PM
picnic, committee, graduation, suicide, food drive, bowl-a-thon, african-american, asian-pacific - that last one backfired though. I missed the lumpia sale!