PDA

View Full Version : Kyrgyz government votes to end lease for Manas

RFScott
06-20-2013, 12:46 PM
From Stars and Stripes:

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan -- Kyrgyzstan has voted to end the United States' lease on an airbase key to supplying military operations in nearby Afghanistan.

Lawmakers in the mountainous Central Asian republic voted 91-5 Thursday in favor of ending the agreement in June 2014 to lease the Manas Transit Center. The bill will come into force when it is signed by President Almazbek Atambayev, who has repeatedly pledged to end the lease.

The move comes despite U.S. expectations that the base would remain in exchange for higher rent. The United States pays $60 million annually for the base.

Some U.S. troops moving in and out of Afghanistan travel through Manas. Large numbers of troops are set to flow through the facility as part of the withdrawal of most international troops next year.

Link: http://www.stripes.com/news/kyrgyzstan-votes-to-end-us-lease-of-airbase-1.226740

technomage1
06-20-2013, 08:51 PM
They pulled this crap back in '09 too. Since we're pulling out of Afghanistan I think we should tell them where to stick it this time instead of simply doubling the amount of the lease.

fufu
06-20-2013, 09:09 PM
I seee $60 million we can save for other projects back home. Shut it down.

Zxc
06-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Lawmakers in the mountainous Central Asian republic voted 91-5 Thursday in favor of ending the agreement in June 2014 to lease the Manas Transit Center. The bill will come into force when it is signed by President Almazbek Atambayev, who has repeatedly pledged to end the lease.

As an American, I find these numbers astonishing, regardless of the topic... and that's kind of sad.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
If we leave we need to restore that property back to its pre- 9/11 condition.

technomage1
06-20-2013, 11:26 PM
If we leave we need to restore that property back to its pre- 9/11 condition.

I'm sure we can find some trash and empty vodka bottles to scatter around.

The rest of the base isn't exactly in pristine condition. Nor is the country, for that matter. I'm not saying we shouldn't clean up after ourselves, mind.

The Cooler
06-21-2013, 12:38 AM
no matter how good we are to people.. this is what we get.

OtisRNeedleman
06-21-2013, 01:10 AM
And all those charitable activities to build rapport with the local population......hmmmm....

DWWSWWD
06-21-2013, 03:25 PM
And all those charitable activities to build rapport with the local population......hmmmm....

By which you mean a donation to the local Family Planning clinic? Sorry folks. Someone was going to do it.

Juggs
06-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Take our money, and our jobs and get home. Fine by me. Ill miss that big boobed redhead that worked in the north face store though.