PDA

View Full Version : Worst EPR/1206 Bullets: The Thread

Zxc
06-20-2013, 04:00 AM
I saw this post over in the "Filling Squares" thread and thought that this would be a fun topic

The best (worst) bullet I've ever seen on an AF Form 1206 was in regards to the annual 4th of July event at RAF Feltwell. Apparently, someone who served chicken wings and nachos & cheese "instilled patriotism/pride in +50k attendees". :uncomfortableness:

What are the best (worst) bullets you've seen in your career? Fake/funny bullets are always welcome, but the bad ones that were actually used on real packages are always better

I remember seeing this one on www.afeprbullets.com a few years ago and it has stuck with my as my all time favorite terrible bullet:
- Studied Dinosaur Brains; focused on coping/dealing with 36 different personalities assigned to Dining Facility
:wtf:

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Just about any bullet that boasts about lives saved. In very relatively few instances have airmen actually saved any lives.

CrustySMSgt
06-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Anything that starts with "Active member of..."
"Pursuing" anything education related with no quantification. If you're not taking classes, you're standing still, you aren't pursuing anything.
Reading books from the CSAF reading list

A stupid bag wearing "enlisted aviator" bullet that started, "--Superman in nomex..."

I'm sure I've got some good ones, but I haven't had coffee yet. :ranger

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-20-2013, 04:32 AM
Just about any bullet that boasts about lives saved. In very relatively few instances have airmen actually saved any lives. AADD bullets come to mind.

tiredretiredE7
06-20-2013, 04:38 AM
I saw this post over in the "Filling Squares" thread and thought that this would be a fun topic

What are the best (worst) bullets you've seen in your career? Fake/funny bullets are always welcome, but the bad ones that were actually used on real packages are always better

I remember seeing this one on www.afeprbullets.com a few years ago and it has stuck with my as my all time favorite terrible bullet:
- Studied Dinosaur Brains; focused on coping/dealing with 36 different personalities assigned to Dining Facility
:wtf:

-Ratee requires continual supervisor to accomplish the simplest of tasks. I have used this bullet on multiple EPRs in my career. It is NOT a negative bullet but is a statement of fact.

CrustySMSgt
06-20-2013, 04:51 AM
-Ratee requires continual supervisor to accomplish the simplest of tasks. I have used this bullet on multiple EPRs in my career. It is NOT a negative bullet but is a statement of fact.

Can't argue with facts! :thumb

Measure Man
06-20-2013, 05:13 AM

I've used similar bullets...it's a way to give a negative impression, without being outright negative, thus requiring a referral report.

One example:

- Works well when directly supervised.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Any bullet making reference to involvement in ANY kind of church. No offense, but when grading a package I will give you ZERO credit for brainwashing (just my opinion) a child in your so-called Sunday School.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Any bullet making reference to coaching, teaching, baking brownies or reading books to classes when your own child is a direct recipient of theses efforts. I don't have kids and don't do these activities, and I suspect you wouldn't either if you were in my shoes. Again, if grading a package I will give you zero credit for baking those cookies for Mary's 2nd Grade class.

fog
06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Read one that said "Has his mouth on the firehose"...still don't know what that means...

RetAF-SF/SP Chief
06-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Bullet that came across my desk on an EPR a few years back.

- True professional and mentor--Not only walks on water but freezes it so others can follow

Sent it forward to see how far it would go before it was caught and sent back. Had to stop it just before signatures went on it.

technomage1
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
1206 Bullet

I won't get into details as it could identify me, but the individual was a firefighter who oversaw a couple of in flight emergencies. All fine and dandy, but the impact was they saved $2.2B in assets. One F-22 is worth $143M. The only way the in flight emergency could destroy $2.2B in assets is if it crashed into a sqaudron of parked aircraft or wiped out half the base on impact Either way having the fire truck there really wouldn't matter.

I beleive in inflating things to the proper pressure, but good grief.

Calmo70
06-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I was a group sup't and had to review all awards/decs/EPR's for group/CC signature. Saw a bunch of crap. Probably worst was a EPR for a Chief that said - "Promote to E-10 - he is ready for a Command Chief position." It was sent back.

technomage1
06-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I was a group sup't and had to review all awards/decs/EPR's for group/CC signature. Saw a bunch of crap. Probably worst was a EPR for a Chief that said - "Promote to E-10 - he is ready for a Command Chief position." It was sent back.

And it made it to the group? Really?

Quixotic
06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
"... raised $4,000 for the Live Strong Foundation to support doping research."

It was meant as a joke, but it slipped through. LOL

Calmo70
06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
And it made it to the group? Really?

Yea, that bullet was on the Sq/CC's endorsement. I talked to the Chief in question (Supply Chief) and told him about it. He hadn't seen it and was not very happy about it himself.

DWWSWWD
06-20-2013, 03:28 PM
1206 Bullet

.............. but the impact was they saved $2.2B in assets. That specific number was making it's rounds when I was in PACAF. Hmmm. Not on a 1206 but I was on an in-person board recently. At the end I always ask if there is anything else the Airman would like us to know. He said, "In the words of General Welsh... Booyah!" Then he turned and walked out. Nice!

Class5Kayaker
06-20-2013, 04:46 PM
So I went back to my first EPR written in 93 (I entered the AF in 92). Nothing too awful as far as content/wording, but here's a breakdown of how the form looks (and this was a "5" EPR):

Rater's comments:

- Only 5 bullets even though there's 12 lines of text. Two are "3-Liners" and three are "2-Liners."
- TONS of white space. Only one of the 5 bullets gets close to looking how we fill white space these days. In fact, four of the five bullets only have 1-3 words on the last line of the bullet leaving 75-90% white space on that line

-Indorser's [sic] Comments:

- Yep, the official form has "Endorser" spelled incorrectly. How the hell did that get by to an official form??!! (On a side-note, for years, the AF Form 1168 said "Previous Editions Are Osbolete" on the bottom.
- Only 2 bullets even though there are five available lines for text. One is a "3-Liner" and the other is a "2-Liner."
- Same comment as above regarding white space.

This was back when they used a typewriter to fill EPRs out, so it would have taken weeks if we tried to fill white space like we do now (come up with bullet, type it, then come up with different wording, retype it....oops not long enough, retype.....oops too long, retype it, etc.) but I'm surprised at how much white space there was and how there are "3-Liners" in there. Oh, and every word is spelled out. Not a single abreviation or acronym which was nice and easy to read (having sat on base-wide boards, I can tell you it's really hard to read/understand some nominations from other career fields these days). I think there's a happy medium that should be found between the EPR expectations from 20 years ago and what is expected now.

Class5Kayaker
06-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Here's a few extra-lame volunteer bullets that were on EPRs sent to me for review in the past:

- Volunteered two hours in (City Name) "Camp Collie" sanctuary--ensured over 200 dogs were exercised and fed
(Wow...a whopping 2 hours of volunteer time mentioned on an annual report, and it was playing with dogs!)

- Sacrificed off-duty time--collected and donated five bags of clothes/three bags of food for Salvation Army
(This guy just cleaned out his garage)

- Volunteered for Red Cross blood drive obtaining critical blood supplies for victims of Hurricane Katrina
(What he actually did was donate a pint of his own blood during duty hours)

- Compassionate volunteer--Provided comfort to premature babies at Children’s Hospital NICU as a "cuddler”
(Tugs at your heart....until you find out it was her kid in the NICU. Sure, feel compassion for her but don't write it up as a volunteer bullet)

- Donated $60 towards the Combined Federal Campaign--significantly made the AF better as a whole
(Yeah....that whopping 60 bucks "significantly made the AF better as a whole")

- Dedicated to the WARFIT program--devoted 10 hours per week to fitness; significantly increased cardio level
(This guy likes to work out....hey, maybe I've found out who @PTGod is! Naw.....PTGod probably spends 30-40 hours in the gym per week)

- "A man of action"--assisted local area (City Name) citizen renovate weathered and neglected horse corrals
(The openner on this cracks me up...."A man of action" lol. Oh, and he nailed up a few boards that were falling down from his neighbor's horse fence that bordered his property in order to keep the horses from coming on to his property!)

- Mentored 20 young children at church--read to and helped with crafts; provided positive community relations
(It failed to mention it was during her own kids' bible study group)

- Flight fund monitor--directly responsible for collecting and accounting for donations from flight personnel
(For the monthly BBQ/Keggers)

- Performed as a volunteer basketball coach for Malmstrom youth center--promoted safety and physical fitness
(Yep, their kid was on the team)

SENDBILLMONEY
06-20-2013, 05:25 PM
We had one of those cute senior airmen who was Big Blue's answer to Mother Teresa, always volunteering during duty hours and making other people pick up the slack. We tried to rein it in, but she was untouchable. The commander/O chain supported her even though everyone else picked up her slack and her own qualification training suffered.

One bullet began with the words "Unqualified success ..."

71Fish
06-20-2013, 05:32 PM
"... raised $4,000 for the Live Strong Foundation to support doping research."

It was meant as a joke, but it slipped through. LOL

Brilliant :laugh2:

SomeRandomGuy
06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Here's a few extra-lame volunteer bullets that were on EPRs sent to me for review in the past:

- Volunteered two hours in (City Name) "Camp Collie" sanctuary--ensured over 200 dogs were exercised and fed
(Wow...a whopping 2 hours of volunteer time mentioned on an annual report, and it was playing with dogs!)

This bullet is an example of what annoys me about the impact statement in bullets. The first part very clearly says he only volunteered 2 hours (even that is probably rounded up). So he did he ensure that 200 dogs were walked in only two hours? There are 120 minutes in two hours so if he ensured 200 dogs were walked that means he walked each dog for 36 seconds. Either that or he walked them like this.....

http://asq4.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dscn0873.jpg

technomage1
06-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Bullet that came across my desk on an EPR a few years back.

- True professional and mentor--Not only walks on water but freezes it so others can follow

Sent it forward to see how far it would go before it was caught and sent back. Had to stop it just before signatures went on it.

Unless his name was Bobby Drake, this shouldn't have gone that far.

Chief_KO
06-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Typos that spell check catches...talk about lazy!
"Outstanding in NCO roll" meant to say "role"...but did get me thinking about pastry.

AF-level functional awards, "Single point of failure for xxx system maintenance"...so you're saying this is the guy that will break the system everytime??? And this made it through the unit, wing, NAF, MAJCOM level reviews (since each level needs 1 week to do their "majik" (spelling intentional).

Bumble78
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
- Coxswained crew with conviction; corrected confusing conundrum calmly--completed commission cursorily

Sancho
06-20-2013, 11:43 PM
The worst EPR bullets are those where your supervisor copies/pastes all bullets from your EPR to his and puts "Led" or "Managed" in front of them.

B1k3rBoi
06-21-2013, 12:09 AM
http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1592937-Is-that-a-real-EPR-bullet

Another related thread...

CJSmith
06-21-2013, 05:11 AM
I was cruising through one of our occifers OPRs and one lead in bullet cracked me up with - 'Cracked the nut......'

Another simply started off with 'WOW'. Not sure if that meant awesome or the guy was secretly a World of Warcraft freak.

OPRs are hilarious to read.

imported_Renazance
06-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Can't think of any bullets at this time but I recall a couple decoration citations that just made me and everyone around shake their heads in disbelief:

On a deployment AFAM: ...single handedly twarted terrorism.

On a deployment MSM: ...had his reenlistment oath administered by the CSAF, which further affirmed his dedication to his country. (What's even sadder than this "accomplishment" is that it was the closing statement on the citation.

Chief_KO
06-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Anyone who thinks EPRs are bad...take a gander at OPRs and PRFs!! (Great examples CJ)

Those deployment dec examples are horrid...CoC should be castrated

imported_Renazance
06-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Anyone who thinks EPRs are bad...take a gander at OPRs and PRFs!! (Great examples CJ)

Yeah, the CoC was pretty spineless to let those get by. On another note, I sat in on an A-Staff meeting and saw that all directors (Cols) are put in for BSMs for completing their 365-day tour. No wonder the decoration program is watered down, it comes from the top.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-21-2013, 01:57 PM

PRFs are a bad example, as you're forced to cram an ENTIRE career into a few bullets. Then you have to create a separate document that identifies exactly where on the person's OPRs, DECs or training reports that achievement stated in the PRF was originally referenced, to include the section, para # and line the bullet/statement is listed. NOT an easy task.

AFbiatch
06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Unless the bullet has "Ram-rodded" in it, it should be sent back!

crustybfv
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
My "bottom line" bullet on a SNCO package in 2002: "If MSgt CrustyBFV was in the Army, they'd only need to be an Army of one!" (Yeah, I wrote it, meaning to be tongue-in-cheek, but it went through).
Had one 1206 I scored that was so full of acronmyms and abbreviations that we (the board) gave it a ?? rating. Best bullet off that one:
"Exf'ld 3K USA trps fm cmbt; timely acts ++d moral/svd lives!"
(Had to call the author for clarification. Evidently, this particular C-130 loadmaster participated in flying soldiers (not casualties) from Afghanistan to Incirlik for a "morale break". "Exfl'd" = "exfiltrated;" "++d" = "boosted," etc.

Bumble78
06-25-2013, 01:16 PM
My "bottom line" bullet on a SNCO package in 2002: "If MSgt CrustyBFV was in the Army, they'd only need to be an Army of one!" (Yeah, I wrote it, meaning to be tongue-in-cheek, but it went through).
Had one 1206 I scored that was so full of acronmyms and abbreviations that we (the board) gave it a ?? rating. Best bullet off that one:
"Exf'ld 3K USA trps fm cmbt; timely acts ++d moral/svd lives!"
(Had to call the author for clarification. Evidently, this particular C-130 loadmaster participated in flying soldiers (not casualties) from Afghanistan to Incirlik for a "morale break". "Exfl'd" = "exfiltrated;" "++d" = "boosted," etc.

I was reading the ++d as double plus good, and are you sure it was not a flight from Eurasia to Oceania?

raustin0017
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
One that came across my desk:
"My fire and forget missile; always on target with lazar accuracy...promote to SSgt now!"

This was for a SRA C-17 loadmaster who did an average job.

BOSS302
06-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Is that really how they spelled laser?

It amazes me how many people never click the spell-check button before sending an EPR/OPR/1206 for review and then they fly through all the way to final versions.

I have seen so many "aircraft hangers" on EPRs and 1206s in CE that I wonder if we should become a laundromat.

Class5Kayaker
06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
One that came across my desk:
"My fire and forget missile; always on target with lazar accuracy...promote to SSgt now!"

This was for a SRA C-17 loadmaster who did an average job.

It amazes me how many people never click the spell-check button before sending an EPR/OPR/1206 for review and then they fly through all the way to final versions.

BOSS302
06-25-2013, 03:47 PM

I have seen so many "aircraft hangers" on EPRs and 1206s in CE that I wonder if we should become a laundromat.

BENDER56
06-25-2013, 04:54 PM
I was always tempted to slip one of these (see link) into an APR/EPR, but I didn't have the 'nads.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/british-officer-evaluation-statements-t1853.html

Disclaimer: I can't vouch for the veracity of the statements listed -- fact is, I suspect they're all made up.