PDA

View Full Version : Never been deployed?

imported_KnuckleDragger
06-14-2013, 10:43 PM
What percentage of USAF AD Enlisted have never deployed overseas?

What's the percentage for those that make it to retirement?

**In the past 25 years**

gumbo31
06-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Certain AFSCs don't deploy or have very few opportunities to deploy.

LogDog
06-14-2013, 11:54 PM
What percentage of USAF AD Enlisted have never deployed overseas?

What's the percentage for those that make it to retirement?

**In the past 25 years**
My career field didn't deploy very much and it wasn't until my 20th year in that I deployed for 4 months to Croatia during the Balkans crisis.

Airborne
06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
I think I know where your heads at. For every PJ, CCT, or loadmaster thats deploying every other six months there are plenty of other AFSCs that are basically home station type AFSCs or ones that have the whole force to chose from for very small deployable numbers like chaplains assistant or paralegal.

Zxc
06-15-2013, 12:33 AM
I would think that this question would be more for those AFS's that do deploy--obviously, those that have their primary mission in garrison will not/will rarely deploy, and those who only have an expeditionary mission will deploy very frequently. However, there are those who fit into those AFS's that deploy regularly, yet they do not... I know some, always a new excuse. Injury, pregnancy, etc... and they've used the time to be President of Everything and Bake Sale Commanders to work their way up in rank, and they're the ones notified of tasking requirements, and they're the ones that fill those AFS/Skill level requirements with anyone other than themselves

jmb27
06-15-2013, 02:31 AM
I volunteered twice but still haven't gone.

71Fish
06-15-2013, 06:00 AM
I went to Southern Watch in 2000-2001. 23 years and that was it. I volunteered out of cycle for Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom but for one reason or another didn't deploy. I did do 2 tours to Korea though. When a base sends a maintenance package, damn near an entire squadron will deploy, but usually no more than 2 from my AFSC.

FuelShopTech
06-15-2013, 08:21 AM
I never deployed in 8 years.

Most 5-level slots got filled by guys who sucked the most cock and were drinking buddies with the senior NCOs.

I got moved to Staff once I got my 7-level, and Staff weenies don't deploy.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-15-2013, 12:29 PM
The creed states that we're warriors, sentries and avengers. Impossible if you've never deployed. No 5 EPR if you don't fit the Creed's description of a 'real' Airman.

LC-45
06-15-2013, 01:34 PM
They say its over 55% of the Active Duty AF has never deployed. Along AFSC lines it can be much higher.

Since 1991 Ive spent 4 years in SW Asia and another 36 months total in Korea. I have some good friends in AETC and they have Never deployed, one has spent close to 20 years in San Antonio and has never been TDY save the SNCOA.

imported_DannyJ
06-15-2013, 01:50 PM
My AFSC deployed quite often for a while there (d-band) but that has slowed down considerably. Used to be rare to see a TSgt at homestation.

DocBones
06-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Logdog, did you make those people stop balking?

technomage1
06-15-2013, 03:21 PM
We go a lot. I've gone 9 times.

imported_KnuckleDragger
06-15-2013, 03:59 PM
They say its over 55% of the Active Duty AF has never deployed.

This is interesting, if true.

BRUWIN
06-15-2013, 04:28 PM
They say its over 55% of the Active Duty AF has never deployed. Along AFSC lines it can be much higher.

Non-deployers have it harder since they have to do everybody else's work that's deployed.

OtisRNeedleman
06-15-2013, 04:31 PM
I didn't deploy to the sandbox for the first Gulf War. At that time was doing the acquisition management job, one-deep with continual TDYs. When I was actually in the office also pulled mid shifts on the HQ ATC Battle Staff. As can be imagined, things were generally slow. Watched a lot of HBO/Showtime. Helped put together morning intel briefing, actually given by some O-6.

However, had two tours in Korea, one featuring the "tree incident", so had my share of anus-clenching adventures.

imported_chipotleboy
06-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Coming from the "O" side, I've volunteered multiple times for deployments and once for a Korea short tour, but was never selected. I don't feel the least bit guilty.

technomage1
06-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Non-deployers have it harder since they have to do everybody else's work that's deployed.

While getting shot at?

I've stayed home and I've gone. Both have their challenges, but at least when I'm at home people aren't trying to kill me on a regular basis.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-15-2013, 04:45 PM

I agree, plus they get no recognition in the form of campaign medals.

I’m writing my congressman to suggest he introduce a bill that creates a Home Front Medal for non-deploying troops.

OtisRNeedleman
06-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Coming from the "O" side, I've volunteered multiple times for deployments and once for a Korea short tour, but was never selected. I don't feel the least bit guilty.

Hey, if you volunteered and weren't picked there's nothing to feel guilty about. It's the people who keep ducking deployments that deserve scorn.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-15-2013, 05:03 PM
While getting shot at?

I've stayed home and I've gone. Both have their challenges, but at least when I'm at home people aren't trying to kill me on a regular basis.

You obviously haven’t worked an intel job; if you make the mistake of getting in the way of one of our pancake breakfasts or cupcake sales you’ll catch a knife in the back so quick it will make your head spin.

Of course it will be one of those blunt knifes with the wide blade that we use to spread icing on the cupcakes with.

Personally, I prefer to put batter on one of my hands and then pat you on the back and say that you are doing a hell of a job.

efmbman
06-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Since 1991 Ive spent 4 years in SW Asia and another 36 months total in Korea.

Just curious... does the AF track time in Korea as a deployment or a tour?

Absinthe Anecdote
06-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Just curious... does the AF track time in Korea as a deployment or a tour?

It is usually considered OS Short tour; however, there are a lot of command sponsored billets there now so people are doing accompanied tours.

Korea isn’t a deployment or a hardship in my opinion.

TSgt"M"
06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
It is usually considered OS Short tour; however, there are a lot of command sponsored billets there now so people are doing accompanied tours.

Korea isn’t a deployment or a hardship in my opinion.

Ulchi Focus Lens, 81, Tent City, Taegu.....wasn't a dream deployment, but not that bad as you younger folk are doing in the sandbox.

Venus
06-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I think I spent a average of 9 months a year deployed or on TDY's being a Crew Chief then seem to be gone more when I sewed on MSgt and became a Pro Super from 1991 to 2003. Most of it in the desert, Turkey and Somalia. I remember the guys who always got out of deployments were the ones who was supposed to relieve me. I loved those phone calls from home explaining that your relief is code c that it will 4 weeks before somebody heads your way. It was a lot easier to file your taxes then. My ribbon rack looked like a South American General with the campaign ribbons but hardly any for points. I wasn't home enough to be a good SNCO.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Ulchi Focus Lens, 81, Tent City, Taegu.....wasn't a dream deployment, but not that bad as you younger folk are doing in the sandbox.

I’d call that going TDY for an exercise; yeah, ok you lived in a tent for a month. You wouldn’t call living in a tent for a month a hardship would you?

TSgt"M"
06-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Hey now! It was almost 2 1/2 months!

raustin0017
06-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Worst deployment ever was during the 1st Gulf War. Stationed at Elmendorf as a C-130H loadmaster. Deployed to Hickham and stayed downtown on Waikiki beach flying missions to PACAF. Man...did that deployment suck. Bad thing was all other C-130 flight crews and Mx folks were earning Air Medals and other bling. All we got were big bar tabs, some fresh ink, and bronze tans.
Load Clear

BRUWIN
06-15-2013, 08:36 PM

I’m writing my congressman to suggest he introduce a bill that creates a Home Front Medal for non-deploying troops.

I think your trolling but non-deployers do have it way harder than deployers. "Deployed-in-garrison" is the phrase used for non-deployed doing a wartime mission from home station. Those are the real heroes. Many deployers go to the AOR just to avoid doing the real work.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-15-2013, 08:46 PM
I think your trolling but non-deployers do have it way harder than deployers. "Deployed-in-garrison" is the phrase used for non-deployed doing a wartime mission from home station. Those are the real heroes. Many deployers go to the AOR just to avoid doing the real work.

I prefer the term “unspoken professional”.

Yes, I was having a bit of fun except for that stuff about patting my rivals on the back when my hands were dirty. I really used to do that and I only got caught once.

TSgt"M"
06-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I’d call that going TDY for an exercise; yeah, ok you lived in a tent for a month. You wouldn’t call living in a tent for a month a hardship would you?

Actually, I was a one striper, still a hayseed, barely off the farm after growing up in a town of almost a 1000 people. Luckily some crusty NCOs took me under their wing and kept out of trouble (or guided me to the lest of the trouble) Korea was quite interesting then. As I read (here) what it has become I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it then. Bar girls were registered with base medical and wore numbers. Which were readily changed when town patrol came in. If you didn't get too drunk and didn't fight it was quite the playground.

Venus
06-15-2013, 08:55 PM

shhh!!!, had to deploy just so I wouldn't kill mffers who got out of deployments. Jackasses always served hockey pucks during burger burns anyhow. It was always easier when you deploy because we did the mission, didn't worry about the guys too much of what the brought to work since we all lived together than what we had to put up with at homestation.

imported_KnuckleDragger
06-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Interesting. I asked a straight-forward question, and many people had to chime in with various reasons on why they didn't/don't deploy. People get all defensive, when it's not required. I was just looking for service wide statistics. Kind of telling...personality wise. Do you feel guilty for not deploying?

I know different jobs are required at different locations. I never held that against anybody.

Most civilians have no idea what we do. They imagine all of "us" are 'over there' the majority of our career. I wanted a statistic, to see how untrue that is.

Finally, I have enjoyed all of my deployments. The cake ones...and the scary ones. I honestly feel people that haven't had deployments are missing out on some of the most unique things you could ever experience.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-15-2013, 09:19 PM
@ Venus

It was always nice when a new RC-135 rotated into PSAB from Omaha. Even the guys who worked in the Intel squadron that supported the back-end crews got hooked up with Omaha Steaks. I never knew who was paying for them but talk had it was the Wing for the front-end crew who footed the bill.

Did you MX guys get hooked up with steaks?

loadsmith
06-15-2013, 09:49 PM
I volunteered for most of my deployments and could not imagine not having an opportunity to go. I have never heard a good war story start with: "there I was at home station..." I understand that not all AFSCs are deployable and some people must hold down the fort but for me, deploying and getting to do my real (non-training) job and seeing the end result of what we do was worth the time away from home.

Venus
06-15-2013, 09:54 PM
@ Venus

It was always nice when a new RC-135 rotated into PSAB from Omaha. Even the guys who worked in the Intel squadron that supported the back-end crews got hooked up with Omaha Steaks. I never knew who was paying for them but talk had it was the Wing for the front-end crew who footed the bill.

Did you MX guys get hooked up with steaks?

I was with AWACS at PSAB, did all my RC time when I was at Mildenhall. We never got hooked up like that except during the holidays when we fried up some turkeys and got some burgers from the DFAC, some prior AWACers were in RC mx including a Pro Super who's a good friend of mine at that time.

imported_KnuckleDragger
06-15-2013, 09:58 PM

Nice. During my PSAB days, I was on tankers(135s). Lots of space for goodies. We hooked each other up more regularly, so it was less of an 'event'.

We were doing something similar with IqAF Cessnas throughout the sandbox a couple years ago. Usually the mid grade brass payed.

BRUWIN
06-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Interesting. I asked a straight-forward question, and many people had to chime in with various reasons on why they didn't/don't deploy.

I remember when I deployed to Saudi in Desert Storm, they deployed like 15-20 of us from my flight. We were all single with the exception of a few married volunteers. Anyways, when we got home all the non-deployers were presented with AFCMs and AFAMs while us deployers got nothing. We were told it was because we got like 3 ribbons from our deployment and we would get nothing else.

This is why I will always admire non-deployers as the true heroes. They made Desert Storm happen while we were in the desert on a gravy train according to some of them. A few months after I returned I had a non-deployer SMSgt present me a line# for TSgt at a formation and said SSgt Bruwin "made great use of all his spare time while deployed by studying for rank and making TSgt." The funny thing was I took two weeks leave when I got home and crammed the entire time. I corrected the SMSgt right in front of everybody by saying "Thank you SMSgt...however, I would like to correct the assumption that I studied for promotion while deployed since I spent the majority of my time fixing airplanes."

That SMSgt never talked to me again but he did try to have the CC take my line# a few months later. He ended up with a LOC as a result.

BOSS302
06-16-2013, 05:48 AM
I remember when I deployed to Saudi in Desert Storm, they deployed like 15-20 of us from my flight. We were all single with the exception of a few married volunteers. Anyways, when we got home all the non-deployers were presented with AFCMs and AFAMs while us deployers got nothing. We were told it was because we got like 3 ribbons from our deployment and we would get nothing else.

This is why I will always admire non-deployers as the true heroes. They made Desert Storm happen while we were in the desert on a gravy train according to some of them. A few months after I returned I had a non-deployer SMSgt present me a line# for TSgt at a formation and said SSgt Bruwin "made great use of all his spare time while deployed by studying for rank and making TSgt." The funny thing was I took two weeks leave when I got home and crammed the entire time. I corrected the SMSgt right in front of everybody by saying "Thank you SMSgt...however, I would like to correct the assumption that I studied for promotion while deployed since I spent the majority of my time fixing airplanes."

That SMSgt never talked to me again but he did try to have the CC take my line# a few months later. He ended up with a LOC as a result.

Is this the same SMSgt at Lakenheath that you locked horns with because, during an exercise, he tried to make you fold the wings of an F-111 or something? You guys went "gas mask-to-gas mask" and when he demanded your name, you ripped the nametape off your helmet and slapped it on his clipboard... I remember you saying that the only thing that saved you from getting in trouble was that the T.O. was on your side, not his.

Drackore
06-16-2013, 08:43 AM
If ya never deploy it isn't a badge of shame because you never got tasked. It's a badge of shame if you did everything possible to dodge it. It's also a badge of shame on the AF for allowing people to get away with it.

If you deploy ALL THE FREAKING TIME, that's the job. If you don't like it - don't reup.

BRUWIN
06-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Is this the same SMSgt at Lakenheath that you locked horns with because, during an exercise, he tried to make you fold the wings of an F-111 or something? You guys went "gas mask-to-gas mask" and when he demanded your name, you ripped the nametape off your helmet and slapped it on his clipboard... I remember you saying that the only thing that saved you from getting in trouble was that the T.O. was on your side, not his.

No...different guy. The one you mention had no idea who I was and I had no idea who he was. He was a SMSgt taken out of QA and put on the flightline for the duration of that exercise. My girlfriend (wife now) went to work in QA with him some months later. I walked in and he never recognized me because I never had my gas mask off the entire time we got into it.

imported_Renazance
06-17-2013, 08:36 AM

So true. At the Air Control Squadron, we deployed as a unit. The ones that stayed behind ended up being busier than the deployers. It's mostly due to the temporary in-garrison commander that's trying to impress his boss and tasks the unit for everything from exercises, DV tours, etc.

Drackore
06-17-2013, 02:31 PM
This is the most factual statement about the Air Force then ever uttered before. ACS is pretty much the single biggest waste of an assignment, time and money ever. Deploy to sit around and do nothing or stay at home and do bullshit to get some shithead Major or Capt their suckup points.

So true. At the Air Control Squadron, we deployed as a unit. The ones that stayed behind ended up being busier than the deployers. It's mostly due to the temporary in-garrison commander that's trying to impress his boss and tasks the unit for everything from exercises, DV tours, etc.

LogDog
06-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I can understand the non-deployers working harder but they can also go home at the end of their shift, go downtown for dinner, a movie or other things that those who are deployed can't do.

In the late 70s, our Medical Squadron deployed a field hospital from Myrtle Beach to Hulbert Field for a 30-day exercise. When the Medical commander flew down (to get his flying time in) the Chief who deployed with us found out that some of the med tech were scheduled to work the night shift the day the day the returned to base. The Chief talked to the commander about it and the commander said there was nothing he could do about it. The logic the people back at base used was those who didn't deploy for the exercise had to work longer. On the following Friday, the Wing Commander flew down (he already had his flying hours for the month completed) and toured our field hospital because as he said back at base he'd see us set it up in the field across from his office and he never really knew what we were doing. The Chief spoke to him and explained about his troops having to work when they got back. The Wing King told him he'll have a word with our commander and that we'll have at least a week off before returning to work. Monday morning the Chief received a call from the medical commander telling him not to worry about anyone having to return to work immediately and that he was giving everyone deployed a week off.

I'll agree that non-deployers have to make up for the work those who have deployed and having been on both sides those who didn't deploy shouldn't complain.

imported_KnuckleDragger
06-17-2013, 09:03 PM
In the late 70s, our Medical Squadron deployed a field hospital from Myrtle Beach to Hulbert Field for a 30-day exercise.

Ohhhh the HUMANITY!

loadsmith
06-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Ohhhh the HUMANITY!

I hear you on that one. I think "deployed" as being somewhere where $3.50 a day is the norm, the food sucks, there is a threat to your life, whether on base or off and the list can go on.

Guam, Honduras, Curacao or back filling someone at MacDill = not deployed, rather an extended TDY of the sorts :wall:

imported_Renazance
06-18-2013, 05:21 AM
I hear you on that one. I think "deployed" as being somewhere where $3.50 a day is the norm, the food sucks, there is a threat to your life, whether on base or off and the list can go on.

Guam, Honduras, Curacao or back filling someone at MacDill = not deployed, rather an extended TDY of the sorts :wall:

Yeah I know a few folks who "deployed" to Okinawa and Germany for 6 months. Such a tough life. I wish the AF would stop using the word "deployed" for any TDY that's not in Afghanistan or the Middle East and also stop treating every TDY in support of OEF as an actual deployment. For example, had a friend get tapped to go to DC to work at the JADOC and the med group had him outprocess using the same checklist as actual deployers.

Chief_KO
06-18-2013, 12:08 PM
We will always split hairs over "deployments"...when the a/c package deploys to the Died (which has more on base comforts than home station) vs. when the "nonners" deploy in small teams (or individually) to parts unknown in Iraq or the Stans. One leaves and returns with pomp & circumstance...the other quietly leaves and returns via the local airport.
WRT to CONUS and other deployments: They are considered deployments because they are on CED orders, which always include "variations authorized" meaning that member could be forward deployed to the AOR or other locations during the duration. It does happen sometimes.

LogDog
06-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Ohhhh the HUMANITY!
Ohhhh the HILARITY! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/laughing-007.gif

Johca
06-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I volunteered for most of my deployments and could not imagine not having an opportunity to go. I have never heard a good war story start with: "there I was at home station..." .There I was at home station on Christmas eve with wife 6 month pregnant with our first child just four hours after returning to home station from a three month deployment. Command post calls that a rescue needed to be done in the North Atlantic and I was the only available Team Leader. Never got to do that jump mission as me and team were diverted for another crisis for the next eight weeks. True story and its documented both in my EPR and in my end of tour MSM. What happened is a long story, but the point is it starts with "there I was at home station" and it includes my pregnant wife throwing the Christmas tree out the door fifteen minutes after I left. This is the story of my and wife's almost first Christmas together after getting married.

loadsmith
06-19-2013, 12:40 AM
There I was at home station on Christmas.....

Well I stand corrected :sad6:

I am sure you have some awesome stories from your time in. Thanks for your service and I am also thankful for what you guys do as well.

Johca
06-19-2013, 01:06 AM
No need to be sorry. I was more amused and entertained by having the opportunity to give a there I was at home station war story example. Here's a little video I put together for the 2014 Pararescue Association Reunion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNt0UC-qml4&feature=youtu.be

GoatDriver57
06-19-2013, 04:28 AM
No need to be sorry. I was more amused and entertained by having the opportunity to give a there I was at home station war story example. Here's a little video I put together for the 2014 Pararescue Association Reunion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNt0UC-qml4&feature=youtu.be

Super vid. SSgt Pits would have loved it.

commguy228
06-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Been in for 15 years and will be going on my first deployment end of this year. I may get quite stressed out in the Died with the way you guys are talking.

RetC141BFCC
06-21-2013, 05:20 PM

You got one its call the GWOT medal

LogDog
06-21-2013, 06:45 PM
You got one its call the GWOT medal
Let's write our Congressmen and request the GWOT medal be renamed the WillsPower medal.

Bkral93
06-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Some jobs just don't have a place down range. The exceptions being when they pick somebody up to fill a spot that they couldn't fill, or people volunteering. Also, a lot of people being deployed won't do anything related to their actual job experience or current PAFSC.

imported_KnuckleDragger
06-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Some jobs just don't have a place down range. The exceptions being when they pick somebody up to fill a spot that they couldn't fill, or people volunteering. Also, a lot of people being deployed won't do anything related to their actual job experience or current PAFSC.

Please tell me more.:pat:

I'm sure you read the entire post, and didn't just post your emotional response to the subject line:boink

BRUWIN
06-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Some jobs just don't have a place down range.

Which begs the question....why is that AFSC needed as a military position at all? The bottom line to me is a military position should be a deployment position. If not than make it a civilian position...or not a position at all.