PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas law?

CYBERFX1024
06-14-2013, 07:55 PM
I think it will be challenged in the courts as well. But like Gov. Perry said that "the Constitution gives you Freedom of Religion, not Freedom FROM Religion". The law states that you can have Christmas symbols at school as long as other religious symbols (Menorah) and secular symbols are also reflected.

Pullinteeth
06-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Wanna take bets that this will be challenged in court?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/14/perry-signs-merry-christmas-bill-into-law/?test=latestnews

RobotChicken
06-14-2013, 08:12 PM
:aargh4: "It sure all HELL will be here on 'MTF' for sure!!" :omfg:

Measure Man
06-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Now, if I were a Muslim leader, I'd pick a small to medium sized city in Texas...and see about getting a whole bunch of Muslims to move there, become a majority in a school district, so that we can begin displaying Koran verses and having Muslim prayers at public school...and our cheerleaders could wear "I cheer for Allah" t-shirts.

The terrorism model is outdated...the next wave of Jihadis will be mild-mannered, law-abiding Muslims, who will take over through the ballot box, exploiting the "majority rules" laws we make ourselves.

RobotChicken
06-14-2013, 08:55 PM
"Com'om man! It's only Christmas for heaven's sake! Must we make a 'supreme court case' over everything??"

Measure Man
06-14-2013, 09:02 PM
"Road to Majority"... that has an ominous sound to it. I'll bet these evangelical fundamentalists would be singing a very different tune if Muslims or Hindus had a majority in the state!

They'd be screaming about some separation of church and state, I bet.

CYBERFX1024
06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
They'd be screaming about some separation of church and state, I bet.

I understand that. But we have separation of church and state not separation of church from state. I think everything has gotten alittle carried away here in the last several years between people wanting separation in everything. The bill states that you can have Christmas symbols, Islamic symbols, and Secular symbols. So you can have whatever you want up as long as the others are up too.

Measure Man
06-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I understand that. But we have separation of church and state not separation of church from state. I think everything has gotten alittle carried away here in the last several years between people wanting separation in everything. The bill states that you can have Christmas symbols, Islamic symbols, and Secular symbols. So you can have whatever you want up as long as the others are up too.

Yep...but, I'm betting on an uproar from people who wanted this bill, when some other religion decides to use it.

I just don't get the need to use government institutions to support your faith...

There can be no freedom of religion without freedom from religion

FuelShopTech
06-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Yep...but, I'm betting on an uproar from people who wanted this bill, when some other religion decides to use it.

I just don't get the need to use government institutions to support your faith...

There can be no freedom of religion without freedom from religion

It amazes me the number of people who don't "get" that.

And I'm equally clueless about the need to use government property to broadcast one's religious beliefs.

Are there not enough churches?

sandsjames
06-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Not sure what the complaints are about. This law is about protecting ALL symbols.

edit: Don't be scared. Being around us won't make you turn ga...I mean religious.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-15-2013, 04:40 PM
I just wish they would call it the Saturnalia law since that is really where Christmas comes from.

RobotChicken
06-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Especially considering the tens of billions in lost tax revenue every year because churches are exempt. Don't they have enough special privileges already?

Funny how dedicating your organization to a magic dude up in the sky is enough to make you exempt from taxation.

"I just new 'SCROOGE would show up on this thread damn it!!"
:twak:

sandsjames
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Then I'm sure you will have no problem with the public orgies, or the giant human penis sculpture being displayed at the mall for all the young ladies to throw rose petals on... since after all these are the true "roots" of the Christmas celebration! ;)

Why would anyone ever complain about public orgies? And if women want to throw rose petals on a replica of my genitalia, I'm all for it.

Pullinteeth
06-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Considering how aghast you were at the thought of a female nipple in public, I find this post VERY difficult to believe.

I would be aghast too....who wants to see just a nipple? Let's see the whole boob or better yet, BOTH!!:dance2: