PDA

View Full Version : Chow Hall or Dining Facility?

jondstewart
06-12-2013, 02:53 AM
I say neither! Chow Hall brings to mind soft, bland, mystery food that is thrown on a metal tray by a cook in an undershirt named Bubba behind the serving line, something like what you see in the Army. And Dining Facility is a politically correct term used by officious, uptight Services troops suggesting the places are run by professionals and serve gourmet food

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-12-2013, 02:58 AM
I joined in 87 and called it a chow hall ever since. I like chow halls, especially midnight chow.

So it's not a DFAC and not a Dining Facility, it's a fricken chow hall. Want to preserve "tradition and heritage?" Dump the stupid ass Creed and insist on calling a chow hall the CHOW HALL!

sandsjames
06-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Chow hall, for sure. And in the right part of the country, it's a Chuck Wagon.

wildman
06-12-2013, 03:26 AM
I joined the Army 1966 - 1969 (those were chow halls) albeit we called them much worse. I joined the U.S.A.F. 1971 - 1988 we referred to them as a dining halls. Pigs ate chow we dined. One of the best was at Sembach AB Germany.

Always,
Wildman

RobotChicken
06-12-2013, 03:45 AM
I joined in 87 and called it a chow hall ever since. I like chow halls, especially midnight chow.

So it's not a DFAC and not a Dining Facility, it's a fricken chow hall. Want to preserve "tradition and heritage?" Dump the stupid ass Creed and insist on calling a chow hall the CHOW HALL!
"WE called it 'DEAD RATS' 'Flaps'! LOL, yours, 'RRC' (It will always be a chow hall, no PC $hit goin to change that)

CrustySMSgt
06-12-2013, 03:54 AM
CHow hall!

jondstewart
06-12-2013, 04:24 AM
Well, whatever people want to call it, it's the same sulphured, processed garbage that comes from the same kind of vendor that supplies foods to school cafeterias. It's just dressed up nicer now.

CrustySMSgt
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
This topic reminded me of when I was a young pup, about 26 years ago... on the nightshift as a cop and had to go pick up the box meals for the WSA (Weapons Storage Area RFD); walked in the back door of the chow hall and said to the TSgt standing there, "I'm here to pick up the box nasties." Needless to say, that didn't go over so well! The rest of the chow hall folks heard me and it looked about something like this! :outtahere:

weathtd
06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Neither! Mess hall is the appropriate term! Hence the term mess sgt., not chow sgt. Enlisted mess and officer's mess. Dining facility was for the squids.

Greg
06-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Neither! Mess hall is the appropriate term! Hence the term mess sgt., not chow sgt. Enlisted mess and officer's mess. Dining facility was for the squids.

Negative! Crew's messdecks, Chief's mess (goat locker), and the Officer's mess (weirdroom).

Chief_KO
06-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Enlisted in 1982, was called a Dining Hall then. In BMTS (Basic Training) you got in trouble for calling in a Chow Hall. For some unknown reason the USAF tried calling it an "Aerospace Dining Facility" in the 90's (McPeak?) now all call it a DFAC as our friends in the Army have called it for the last 10 years or so.

Mr. Happy
06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Since all terms relating to it offends everyone, just call it something real generic like "the food place". When you return to the shop after going there, someone can just ask..."hey, what are they serving at the food place today?".

Sergeant eNYgma
06-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I got used to calling it Dining Facility or D-Fac...that's what I call it nowadays...but usually I bring my lunch daily to work I barely eat there anyways....

imported_Renazance
06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I never understood how the term "chow hall" offends anyone. We eat chow. We don't say "I'm headed out to dine". NO, we say "I'm off to get some chow". We have a chow runner in BMT. For the sake of consistency, I'ma call it what it is, a fricking chow hall.

71Fish
06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Chow Hall unless I'm feeling classy, then it's Dining Hall.

Airborne
06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Joined in 2000 and chow hall is ingrained in my brain. Spent some time with the army so I can do DFAC easily. Spent some time with the navy on shore and would never ever call it a "galley".

MACHINE666
06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Chow Hall...always has been, always will be, in my book.

BISSBOSS
06-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Agreed...

Couldn't have said it ANY better!

-BB-

Battleshort
06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Negative! Crew's messdecks, Chief's mess (goat locker), and the Officer's mess (weirdroom).

Aboard a ship it is the Messdecks, Chiefs Mess and Wardroom.

Ashore it is the Chow Hall.

Measure Man
06-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Chow Hall...

USMC0341
06-12-2013, 03:54 PM
chow hall.... of course whenever I was aboard an Air Force facility it felt like fine dining.

Rusty Jones
06-12-2013, 04:21 PM
chow hall.... of course whenever I was aboard an Air Force facility it felt like fine dining.

I dunno, dude. My absolute worst military "dining" experience was at the base galley (that's what we call it in the Navy) at Maxwell AFB. The food was shit, and so was the facility.

I actually like Army chow the best. However, for the facility itself, I prefer Navy. Serve Army chow in a Navy galley, and I'd be set!

Never had Marine Corps chow.

SomeRandomGuy
06-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Never had Marine Corps chow.

Never had an MRE? :shrug:

Airborne
06-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Air Force Bases arent ships. You aren't "aboard" Eglin AFB. You are simply on it or at it.

Airborne
06-12-2013, 04:46 PM
All these talks about different chow. It seems to me like the Sysco or Sodexho truck was serving up the same crap no matter where I went. Wrong?

Rusty Jones
All these talks about different chow. It seems to me like the Sysco or Sodexho truck was serving up the same crap no matter where I went. Wrong?

I think that they have more "premium versions" of each kind of food. For example, I can't eat hamburger patties that have soybean fillers in them. In fact, I can't go anywhere near them or I'll hurl. I've noticed that some facilities use them, others will actually use pure beef patties. Some use sesame seed buns, others don't. I'm sure it's all coming from the same place (i.e., Sysco or Sodexho), but that doesn't mean that every facility is buying the same products.

Absinthe Anecdote

Felt like but not tasted like, nice. That’s what I call a backhanded compliment and a very subtle one.

Chow hall is what I always called them and most of the time they weren’t that bad but if they are the only place you have to eat at, well, that’s another story.

The worst thing that I ever saw at a chow hall was at Goodfellow AFB when they had a big fat lady working the grill making omelets and I saw sweat dripping off her face onto the grill. That’s when I started eating cereal for breakfast.

I became addicted to hot sauce during a deployment to PSAB. After the first week you’ve been through the entire menu and there are all those big bottles of Tasbasco, Texas Pete, Crystal’s, and Frank’s Red Hot sitting on every table. Soon you are putting hot sauce on everything and it is hard to stop once you get back home.

I love Texas Pete Garlic flavored hot sauce on spaghetti.

wildman
06-12-2013, 06:00 PM
For years I had my P-38 however lost it when we moved from California to Kansas. Wonder how many of you have a clue as to what I'm referring to. Wonder how many of you ever ate C or K rations also. Never did get to try them MRE's but would be willing to bet they were one hell of an improvement over what I am talking about. Got to admit Navy chow was real good, then again only had it with my father-in-law who was an 0-6 at Waymouth Naval Air Station Mass back in 1971. After three years with the Army and eating their crap Air Force dinning was gourmet food. Every Air Force facility that I ate in was run by Air Force personnel, I understand that they are now run by civilian contractors, is this correct?

Always.
Wildman

Calmo70
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Joined in 1970 - Retired in 1998 - Always was Chow Hall.

BENDER56
06-12-2013, 06:27 PM
For years I had my P-38 however lost it when we moved from California to Kansas. Wonder how many of you have a clue as to what I'm referring to. Wonder how many of you ever ate C or K rations also. Never did get to try them MRE's but would be willing to bet they were one hell of an improvement over what I am talking about. Got to admit Navy chow was real good, then again only had it with my father-in-law who was an 0-6 at Waymouth Naval Air Station Mass back in 1971. After three years with the Army and eating their crap Air Force dinning was gourmet food. Every Air Force facility that I ate in was run by Air Force personnel, I understand that they are now run by civilian contractors, is this correct?

Always.
Wildman

My dad had a bunch of C-rats back in the '60s and we all used the P-38s to open cans.

Thought I had lost my last one a few years ago when some DB TSA agent made me take it off my key ring and surrender it before boarding a flight -- never mind that I had flown dozens of times with it after 9/11. Yeah, I'm gonna bring down the crew with a P-38. Asshole. I was pissed. But later I was cleaning out a junk drawer and found another one. Now I take it off my key ring before I fly.

Rusty Jones
06-12-2013, 06:38 PM
My dad had a bunch of C-rats back in the '60s and we all used the P-38s to open cans.

Thought I had lost my last one a few years ago when some DB TSA agent made me take it off my key ring and surrender it before boarding a flight -- never mind that I had flown dozens of times with it after 9/11. Yeah, I'm gonna bring down the crew with a P-38. Asshole. I was pissed. But later I was cleaning out a junk drawer and found another one. Now I take it off my key ring before I fly.

You opened your cans with one of these?

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/germany/hg68/1287734278.jpg

raustin0017
06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
All this talk about chow has made me hungry. Best Chow Hall in the AF is at the Deid. "Can I please have more oil with my eggs?"

Absinthe Anecdote
06-12-2013, 06:54 PM

I think he means this P-38.http://0.tqn.com/d/militaryhistory/1/0/t/B/-/-/P-38-Lightning.jpg

Absinthe Anecdote
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Certainly not one of these.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/P-38_can_opener.jpg

TJMAC77SP
06-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Always.
Wildman

South Weymouth Naval Air Station

TJMAC77SP
06-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Ever seen the large version? We called that the B-52

technomage1
06-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Chow hall. Services needs to realize that it doesn't matter what they are called. Flipping burgers is darn important. First, everyone is miserable if the food isn't good. Second, if you don't cook it properly you can make a lot of people really sick or even kill them. Third, I have to imagine it's tough to coordinate the proper feeding of the numbers of people that they do.

Everyone should have pride in their work. It's a compliment if someone says the chow hall is good. Take it.

RobotChicken
06-13-2013, 06:58 AM

"Use to have ops at A.P. Hill,still have a bunch of 'em, but I'd go out and bag a few doe so we would eat Venison all week! F**K c-rats!" LOL

RobotChicken
06-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Certainly not one of these.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/P-38_can_opener.jpg

"Yea, but in better shape!"

RobotChicken
06-13-2013, 07:26 AM

"Only with a 'Rusty' one!!"

wildman
06-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Used one of these.

http://i.imgur.com/MaQXIaK.jpg

Always,
Wildman

SENDBILLMONEY
06-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Chow hall. End of story.

Pullinteeth
06-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Yak Shack?

Dickie
06-14-2013, 07:15 PM
It is a Chow Hall

B1k3rBoi
06-14-2013, 10:36 PM
We used to call it the "Choke and Puke" and the box lunches were "Box Nasty's". It's just what we called them, I actually liked the food and I will always call it the Chow Hall!

wildman
06-15-2013, 02:04 AM
After three years in the Army and then seventeen in the Air Force it was a dining hall. Still to this day I like the S.O.S (Air Force style). Sort of make my own version of it. Had friends who were Air Force cooks give me the recipe, basic white sausage gravy add some strong black coffee and add a dash of liquid smoke. I like to eat it over butter milk biscuits.

Always,
Wildman

RobotChicken
06-15-2013, 02:59 AM
:omfg::puke

OtisRNeedleman
06-15-2013, 04:27 AM
Chow hall. My yap about food in the service. Basic training food was great, back in the 1970's. Went to DLI, Army base, Army cooks, Army food. Overall not that great. Plenty of other food options, this being Monterey. Then Goodfellow. MUCH better, including the midnight chow, great on a Friday night. Then Osan. Food wasn't bad. But after getting married I usually brought my lunch. Fast-forward a few years. During SIGINT officer school ate anywhere but the chow hall. Back to Osan, usually paid my bit and ate whatever the chow hall sent us. But usually during the mid shifts of the cycle we'd all have a potluck. Either you brought something or you chipped in. Back to Goodbuddy, generally went home (next to the base) for lunch or ate at the desk, but there was a period when officers and SNCOs could eat in the chow hall without paying a surcharge, so sometimes we'd eat there. Mighty good food. Never ate in a chow hall at Randolph. Brought lunch, ate downtown, ate at the O Club maybe two-three times a year. Heck, I had no idea where the chow hall was at Randolph. At Fort Meade ate a holiday dinner with my kids - believe Thanksgiving 92 - at the chow hall serving NSA troops. This was just after my kids' mother left us and I wasn't up to cooking. Finishing up at DLI, since I lived on the Presidio usually went home for lunch or ate at the almost-weekly class picnics the Arabic classes had, when I worked in an Arabic school. Part of the associate dean's job. Represented school leadership. Periodically ate lunch at the DLI chow halls, which was a quantum leap improved from the DLI chow halls of the mid '70s.

Chief_KO
06-15-2013, 06:06 PM
No matter the name...receiving BAS and no longer having a meal card...is a great great great thing!!!!

LC-45
06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Its the Chow Hall and always will be. Dont care for the Army Lingo from the Kool-Aide Command Clowns. Having said that, I actually appriciate the Chow Hall. As a general rule, the food is good with a decent selection. My gripe is that they are so inconsistant from one base to the next.

The Best Chow Halls are probably Hill & Eglin & Maxwell. Worst are Kunsan, Nellis and tied for worst of the worst is Sheppard and Cannon...

Airborne
06-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Its the Chow Hall and always will be. Dont care for the Army Lingo from the Kool-Aide Command Clowns. Having said that, I actually appriciate the Chow Hall. As a general rule, the food is good with a decent selection. My gripe is that they are so inconsistant from one base to the next.

The Best Chow Halls are probably Hill & Eglin & Maxwell. Worst are Kunsan, Nellis and tied for worst of the worst is Sheppard and Cannon...

I agree that it's always edible. Not the green goo and mystery meat that's portrayed in media. However, I would be willing to pay a little more to not have lowest bidder Sysco truck food. Having had many other nations mess halls, ours is usually the worst. Even the UK army's was better than ours.

Chief_KO
06-16-2013, 07:43 PM
True story:
Large CENTCOM training deployment (Gallant Knight/Gallant Shield) March AFB, CA circa 1988. AF was in charge of main base set up. Two dining tents (chow tents) were erected...one enlisted...one officer. E tent: standard folding chairs, folding tables, etc. with standard line (we used the mess kits back then, complete with the trash cans/immersion heaters for washing, rinsing, sanitation). O tent: padded folding chairs, tablecloths, chafing dishes (the nice shiny metal with the little sterno cans underneath), and of course standard plates, cups, silverware...now wait for it...here's the kicker...staffed by female SrA and below...

USMC General arrived as the exercise commander...ordered the O-tent closed "We fight as one...we eat as one". All the female SrA returned to their normal duties. He also had all the "comfort furniture" (real beds, dressers, night stands, carpet, etc. removed from the O-6 (and his) tents.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-16-2013, 07:47 PM
True story:
Large CENTCOM training deployment (Gallant Knight/Gallant Shield) March AFB, CA circa 1988. AF was in charge of main base set up. Two dining tents (chow tents) were erected...one enlisted...one officer. E tent: standard folding chairs, folding tables, etc. with standard line (we used the mess kits back then, complete with the trash cans/immersion heaters for washing, rinsing, sanitation). O tent: padded folding chairs, tablecloths, chafing dishes (the nice shiny metal with the little sterno cans underneath), and of course standard plates, cups, silverware...now wait for it...here's the kicker...staffed by female SrA and below...

USMC General arrived as the exercise commander...ordered the O-tent closed "We fight as one...we eat as one". All the female SrA returned to their normal duties. He also had all the "comfort furniture" (real beds, dressers, night stands, carpet, etc. removed from the O-6 (and his) tents.

Do you remember the General's name?

Chief_KO
06-16-2013, 10:36 PM
I see the CENTCOM Commander at that time was USMC Gen George Crist. I don't recall any 4 stars during the exercise...of course this was 25 years ago. I would guess it would have been a Brigadier General or maybe a Major General.
He also wanted to close down the outdoor theater (wooden benches in front of a sheet of plywood painted white)...but he was talked out of that one.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-16-2013, 10:40 PM
I see the CENTCOM Commander at that time was USMC Gen George Crist. I don't recall any 4 stars during the exercise...of course this was 25 years ago. I would guess it would have been a Brigadier General or maybe a Major General.
He also wanted to close down the outdoor theater (wooden benches in front of a sheet of plywood painted white)...but he was talked out of that one.

Cool story!

man
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
If we wear a uniform oficially called "Mess Dress", why can't we say chow hall?