PDA

View Full Version : Torn Menicus

imported_AFKILO7
06-07-2013, 01:50 AM
In April, while playing soccer during PT I injured myself. I planted my left leg and rotated, hearing an audible pop, it hurt like hell eventually but being the competitive person I am, I tried to "walk it off." I continued to hobble around for another 20 minutes and went home. When I got home I iced and elevated my knee and went to bed. The next morning it still hurt so I called the hospital and made my way in to get looked at. Finally after more than a month I had an MRI, I got the call today that my meniscus is torn and the cartilage in my knee is MIA. I'm waiting on the referral to ortho to drop. Have any of you suffered a knee injury similar to mine? If so, did you require surgery? How long was recovery?

Tooltime
06-07-2013, 05:31 AM
Torn meniscus - 3 separate times (2 on Lt Knee/1 on Rt). Doctor normally uses 3 small incisions to scope the knee. In my case, the disconnected meniscus was removed and the remaining area cleaned up to prevent recurrence. You can expect 2 to 6 months of PT/Rehab to get back to normal range of motion and activities, pending any problems.

After my first set of knee surgeries and knee rehab - ran my best 1.5M PT Test (10:40 if I remember correctly). Unfortunately, the condition returned and is now worse. Have had a few knee injections that weren't pleasant experiences, but it helped with the pain for a while. Ortho says next step will probably be knee replacements, but they aren't "that bad" yet.

Start keeping track of your medical records/conditions now - it will make it much easier when you file a VA Claim in the future. Good luck with the knee. After the surgeries, my knees felt great until I resumed my normal lifestyle - that destroyed my knees in the first place.

VFFTSGT
06-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Torn meniscus - 3 separate times (2 on Lt Knee/1 on Rt). Doctor normally uses 3 small incisions to scope the knee. In my case, the disconnected meniscus was removed and the remaining area cleaned up to prevent recurrence. You can expect 2 to 6 months of PT/Rehab to get back to normal range of motion and activities, pending any problems.

After my first set of knee surgeries and knee rehab - ran my best 1.5M PT Test (10:40 if I remember correctly). Unfortunately, the condition returned and is now worse. Have had a few knee injections that weren't pleasant experiences, but it helped with the pain for a while. Ortho says next step will probably be knee replacements, but they aren't "that bad" yet.

Start keeping track of your medical records/conditions now - it will make it much easier when you file a VA Claim in the future. Good luck with the knee. After the surgeries, my knees felt great until I resumed my normal lifestyle - that destroyed my knees in the first place.
AFKILO7....Simply don't return to your "normal" lifestyle after the surgery and you may can prevent yourself from blowing out your knee after surgery like this guy. Find a new "normal." I had to after a hip surgery to keep from tearing cartilage again. I still have fun and enjoy many activities...but you are not going to see me doing certain things that might over extend myself. Never run 'through the pain' either or do any activity through the pain. Occasionally my hip acts funny and I stop doing things for a couple days.

There are many forums out there with people talking about their experiences and recoveries. Recommend you read them, but don't let the horror stories scare you. People complain more than they praise...so you will naturally find more horror stories out there than success stories but they are there.

Don't try to be PTGOD after surgery, do what the doc's and physical therapist tell you, modify your lifestyle a little afterwards, and the odds will be in your favor.

Oh, and don't necessarily trust whatever Ortho they send you to. If you don't feel comfortable with what they say, force your PCM to get you another referral for a second opinion. I went through 4 orthopedic off-base doctors (and many other providers) before they even found anything wrong with me.

Cartilage doesn't really repair itself though, so you will end up needing surgery...find an experienced doctor not some young one with limited experience.

imported_AFKILO7
06-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Thank you for the insight guys. The inevitable is what really bothers me, I enjoy being active and I enjoy my job. Unfortunately I don't see myself (unless I'm told otherwise) funneling dogs anytime soon. That and now it's summer and I just want to go outside and play soccer or jump on the trampoline with my kids.

Sperry1989
06-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the insight guys. The inevitable is what really bothers me, I enjoy being active and I enjoy my job. Unfortunately I don't see myself (unless I'm told otherwise) funneling dogs anytime soon. That and now it's summer and I just want to go outside and play soccer or jump on the trampoline with my kids.

I hope you have a successful and speedy recovery.

BENDER56
06-07-2013, 01:24 PM
I was having pain in my right knee back in '04 which only slightly improved after a few weeks of rest and NSAIDs. MRI revealed a torn medial meniscus. (Unsure what caused it, but that knee had been giving me problems off-and-on for years.) Civilian doc said he could schedule me for arthroscopic surgery and I'd be back to running in a couple of weeks, but I balked because I had a deployment coming up and I didn't want to risk missing it.

While deployed I gradually resumed low-impact workouts (swimming and elliptical cross trainer) and eventually started running again. I never did have the surgery and today I bike and jog without any problems. But I no longer engage in high-stress stuff like racquetball, basketball or floor hockey -- you gotta make concessions.

Tooltime
06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
AFKILO7....Simply don't return to your "normal" lifestyle after the surgery and you may can prevent yourself from blowing out your knee after surgery like this guy. Find a new "normal." I had to after a hip surgery to keep from tearing cartilage again. I still have fun and enjoy many activities...but you are not going to see me doing certain things that might over extend myself. Never run 'through the pain' either or do any activity through the pain. Occasionally my hip acts funny and I stop doing things for a couple days.

There are many forums out there with people talking about their experiences and recoveries. Recommend you read them, but don't let the horror stories scare you. People complain more than they praise...so you will naturally find more horror stories out there than success stories but they are there.

Don't try to be PTGOD after surgery, do what the doc's and physical therapist tell you, modify your lifestyle a little afterwards, and the odds will be in your favor.

Oh, and don't necessarily trust whatever Ortho they send you to. If you don't feel comfortable with what they say, force your PCM to get you another referral for a second opinion. I went through 4 orthopedic off-base doctors (and many other providers) before they even found anything wrong with me.

Cartilage doesn't really repair itself though, so you will end up needing surgery...find an experienced doctor not some young one with limited experience.

Just to clarify - returning to "normal" was working on the flight line (constant climbing, squatting, kneeling, etc.), complying with the AF PT program and playing occasional softball. By no means was I in the same realm as PT God.

VFFTSGT
06-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Just to clarify - returning to "normal" was working on the flight line (constant climbing, squatting, kneeling, etc.), complying with the AF PT program and playing occasional softball. By no means was I in the same realm as PT God.

PTGOD reference was for some units who do outrageous things for unit PT.

Chief_KO
06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I have worn, not torn meniscus both knees, almost bone on bone along with osteoarthritis. Did the series of three synvisc injections to lubricate the knees, worked good first time for about six months. I even started back running! Second time around, no change. Was on a permanent no running profile from the Army docs, did the 3 mile and new 1 mile walk tests for my last 3 years. Now I’m waiting for daily pain to reach the threshold for partial replacement surgery.

I would strongly advise those still on AD to wear good quality knee braces (the ones with the metal hinges) when doing any activities that involve side to side, twisting running etc. Big problem with most fields on base…lots of holes and bumps. Even after surgery, never quite the same…just like after a car comes back from the body shop.

imported_AFKILO7
06-14-2013, 01:41 AM
I had my follow up with Orthopedics today...the doc explained the injury as seen on the MRI. Looks like I will be having surgery along with at least six weeks of no moving.

VFFTSGT
06-14-2013, 06:09 AM
I had my follow up with Orthopedics today...the doc explained the injury as seen on the MRI. Looks like I will be having surgery along with at least six weeks of no moving.

It will be difficult, but eat less while you are not moving...you will put on a few pounds - I speak from experience. lol

Chief_KO
06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Totally agree w/VFFTSGT. Also, the stationary bike will be your best friend for a while. Phys therapy...not fun...but vital!
Best wishes AFKILO7 for a quick and full recovery!!

imported_AFKILO7
12-17-2013, 02:08 AM
FrankII,
I did in fact have surgery. My surgery was conducted July 17, the doctor repaired the torn meniscus, reattached it and cleaned out the remaining cartilage. He then performed the micro fracture portion where he drilled a bunch of holes into the bone to make it bleed. Apparently by doing this it creates a substance similar to cartilage? I was in an immobilizer for three months, two of which I couldn't put ANY weight on my leg. The medical hobby shop/physical therapy division here had a guy that liked to push the envelope regarding recovery and had me putting weight on it before I was supposed to be, fortunately it only occurred during the one session before I had my follow up with my surgeon. He nipped that in the bud immediately and called to Lackland.
I attend physical therapy 3 days a week and I also do many of the same exercises at home. Your son will have at-home exercises as well as those conducted at PT. I haven't pushed too hard and I am now in the phase where I can begin running again. Ironically I was planning on posting here tonight because I am close to hitting a year on a profile...and with the impending cuts I'm worried. Can anyone give me an angle as far as where I should begin looking for answers regarding when I could be eligible for a MEB? What I could do to curtail the process?

USMC0341
12-17-2013, 09:43 AM
In April, while playing soccer during PT I injured myself. I planted my left leg and rotated, hearing an audible pop, it hurt like hell eventually but being the competitive person I am, I tried to "walk it off." I continued to hobble around for another 20 minutes and went home. When I got home I iced and elevated my knee and went to bed. The next morning it still hurt so I called the hospital and made my way in to get looked at. Finally after more than a month I had an MRI, I got the call today that my meniscus is torn and the cartilage in my knee is MIA. I'm waiting on the referral to ortho to drop. Have any of you suffered a knee injury similar to mine? If so, did you require surgery? How long was recovery?

Best advice I can give is DO NOT OVER DO IT. I was entirely to aggressive with pt after my surgeries since the knee was feeling good and my therapist recommended pushing it, and as a result tore my knee up even worse, since it was still trying to heal. Bike, bike and bike some more. Only run if/when needed, to prolong your knee's life. Like others, I'm getting synvisc and cortisone to try and push off a replacement for another 7 years.

imported_AFKILO7
12-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Mods must'be missed this thread during their initial push a couple of no.the back.

DocBones
12-17-2013, 04:13 PM
I injured my medial meniscus cartilage, and I had tp spend 6 weeks in a cast. 6 months later, I was sent to Drill Instructor School at Parris Island MCRD, SC, after which I did my bit as a DI.

'Getting back on your feet' is a bit different for everybody. At the end of DI school, I had to do a 15 mile run, fully clothed, with a ruck sack loaded with 40 pounds, fully loaded cartridge belt, my rifle, and a steel pot helmet. I finished that run gasping, but I was awarded with my first assignment as a Drill Instructor (other than the time we had to spend with a platoon of recruits, as a student DI).

Anyway, anything IS possible, if you rehab that knee correctly. Don't think that once the surgery is finished, that you can just resume everything, as if nothing had taken place.

And ... this is an old thread. I guess my advice is to anyone undergoing treatment, right now. Good luck!

imported_AFKILO7
12-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I injured my medial meniscus cartilage, and I had tp spend 6 weeks in a cast. 6 months later, I was sent to Drill Instructor School at Parris Island MCRD, SC, after which I did my bit as a DI.

'Getting back on your feet' is a bit different for everybody. At the end of DI school, I had to do a 15 mile run, fully clothed, with a ruck sack loaded with 40 pounds, fully loaded cartridge belt, my rifle, and a steel pot helmet. I finished that run gasping, but I was awarded with my first assignment as a Drill Instructor (other than the time we had to spend with a platoon of recruits, as a student DI).

Anyway, anything IS possible, if you rehab that knee correctly. Don't think that once the surgery is finished, that you can just resume everything, as if nothing had taken place.

And ... this is an old thread. I guess my advice is to anyone undergoing treatment, right now. Good luck!

DocBones,
That is awesome! I'm doing what they ask me to do and I'm working hard to get back into the swing of things. With the direction the AF is taking I am just trying to get to MSgt this year. After that I'm retiring...if I make it past the new "hunger games" AF. My goal is to be healthy enough to be a LEO when I retire. It is a job that I've wanted to do since...forever.

sandsjames
12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Bad knees? You'll never make rank now.

AFKILO7
09-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Today I ran the Wounded Warrior 8K. It was the first time I have run 5 miles since BEFORE my knee surgery. I am happy with my time, 1:00:15. One of my coworkers is a Pose Running instructor and I have been attending classes mon, wed, and fri mornings for about a month. My 1-mile time went from 9:00 to 7:12. My first full PT test is due in November, my goal is to get a 90%.

BENDER56
09-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Today I ran the Wounded Warrior 8K. It was the first time I have run 5 miles since BEFORE my knee surgery. I am happy with my time, 1:00:15. One of my coworkers is a Pose Running instructor and I have been attending classes mon, wed, and fri mornings for about a month. My 1-mile time went from 9:00 to 7:12. My first full PT test is due in November, my goal is to get a 90%.

Good on ya, man. No snark here -- that's awesome.

FWIW, I retired in 2010 and my 1.5-mile time has gone from the mid-11s to infinity.