PDA

View Full Version : WWII Bataan Escape

pubfarm
06-05-2013, 05:06 AM
I am helping my friend, the daughter of Col. William L. Osborne, Commander of the 1st Battalion Red and White Combat Teams of the Merrill's Marauders, publish a book written by her father about his escape from Bataan. This is an amazing story of his escape, along with another American officer, on a 22-foot boat to Australia, where they were awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by Gen. MacArthur. After his escape, he then volunteered for Merrill’s Marauders, a special force organized to conduct combat missions behind Japanese lines in the China-Burma-India theater. He was Commander of the First Battalion Red and White combat teams, and distinguished himself with his leadership during the long campaign, leading to the capture of the airfield and City of Myitkyina. He was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame in 1998 for outstanding service as a Ranger Officer.

The ebook is available for Kindle and Nook. A print version will be available in a couple of weeks.

http://www.voyageintothewind.com/

Bourne
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
To our members,

We felt this was a worthy item for announcement on MTF. Pubfarm requested permission to post this before hand.
Though we do not endorse the book, nor make any claim as to the accuracy of its contents, we do feel a Veteran's WWII experience, as written by the Veteran him or herself, is highly relevant to this community and a valuable addition to American literature.

As a reminder, here is our policy:
Advertising and solicitation
Posts that include advertising, solicitation or promotions may be removed. Members intent on spamming our communities may find their posting privileges revoked without additional warning.

RobotChicken
06-07-2013, 04:45 AM
My father's ship, DD-103 Schley (conv APD-14) delivered those guys pre-invasion during WW-II. And 7 battle stars to prove it.The Ward (sister ship and at Pearl with her had the duty that day sunk that midget sub) The kamakazi was going to take out his ship but suddenly and unexplained veered off at the last second for a sure kill and took out the Ward! Dad thought it was for retaliation for their subs demise at Pearl and targeted the Ward! The skipper of the US Destroyer that had to finish her off after ALL crewmen had been rescued was...The skipper of the Ward at the time of Dec 07 1941!

sandsjames
06-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I swear I thought this said "batman escape".

RobotChicken
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Yes it does,had a few of them on active duty under my dads command,they looked 20 years older then their age and 'slim' by today's standard and a 'certain way' they would stare or not and walk. You would have to Really know them if you were lucky enough.

raustin0017
06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Great cause and good luck with the search!