PDA

View Full Version : Some O-5 at DLI is bucking REAL hard for O-6.

OtisRNeedleman
06-05-2013, 04:44 AM
Frank sez, "If you're an IET soldier in language school you'd better be home by 2100 every night!" "No overnight passes!" "No drinking in the barracks!" "Cameras!"

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52101178/ns/local_news-monterey_ca/

Can you imagine how well that's going over with some of the older IET students? Probably not so bad if you're only there 26 weeks, say, for Spanish, but how about 63 weeks as one of Fearless Frank's peons, if you are in Korean, Chinese, or Arabic? Bet this REALLY helps recruiting and retention of linguists.

RobotChicken
06-05-2013, 05:01 AM
:damnit-sign2::fuckyou::spankme::wtf1::loser::shoot::fest3 0:

Measure Man
06-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Damn...I haven't had a 9 pm curfew since I was like, 11.

OtisRNeedleman
06-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Damn...I haven't had a 9 pm curfew since I was like, 11.

Yeah, I bet this battalion "commander's" kids have a later curfew. And EVERY night? Even weekends and holidays? Plus cameras in the barracks? Makes you wonder how many troops will get Article 15s for curfew violations. If I were an IET student there I don't think I'd be real happy, and I don't drink. And I sure as hell wouldn't do any volunteer work downtown. Once the word spreads it makes you wonder how linguist recruiting will be affected. Believe you'd have to want to be a linguist very badly to put up with this shit, and that's what it is...shit.

CrustySMSgt
06-06-2013, 05:14 AM
My daughter started tech school a week ago and from what she says, she moves to "ATP" on MOnday, which means she's pretty much free to do what she wants, to include having her car there. Blows my mind!

garhkal
06-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I bet this battalion "commander's" kids have a later curfew. And EVERY night? Even weekends and holidays? Plus cameras in the barracks? Makes you wonder how many troops will get Article 15s for curfew violations. If I were an IET student there I don't think I'd be real happy, and I don't drink. And I sure as hell wouldn't do any volunteer work downtown. Once the word spreads it makes you wonder how linguist recruiting will be affected. Believe you'd have to want to be a linguist very badly to put up with this shit, and that's what it is...shit.

I'd love to see what hapens to said commander if most of the students 'drop out'.. over this.

OtisRNeedleman
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I'd love to see what hapens to said commander if most of the students 'drop out'.. over this.

Good question. Believe there will be even worse morale problems. Have heard this is apparently Army-wide. Guess the Army has too many troops so they can use curfew violations, etc., to get rid of some. Others may try to get out in other ways. Glad my kids aren't in the Army.

OtisRNeedleman
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
My daughter started tech school a week ago and from what she says, she moves to "ATP" on MOnday, which means she's pretty much free to do what she wants, to include having her car there. Blows my mind!

Is she in the AF? What is ATP?

CrustySMSgt
06-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Is she in the AF? What is ATP?

Yes, she is in AF, in tech school, at Shepperd. I think she said it was "Advanced Training Program." They don't do the "phases" anymore, so I guess after a week or so, they just cut you loose.

Damn, just realized this is in the Army folder... I guess I don't even bother looking, since 99% of the posts are in the AF one lol

Psy
06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
The restriction only applies to IET soldiers, mostly Cryptolinguists who go there straight out of Basic. 2100 curfew and no overnight passes is not really much of a change for most of them unless Basic got WAY softer than when I went through less than 5 years ago. They don't even go to their AIT before language school, the Army wants to make sure they can learn the language first before wasting money on the actual TS training.

The restrictions are petty, but there you go. The only people who are going to have morale problems are the ones who are already there and used to later nights out, and if they want to drop after getting through Basic over a curfiew then I say get rid of them before some poor platoon sergeant has to.

OtisRNeedleman
06-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Yes, she is in AF, in tech school, at Shepperd. I think she said it was "Advanced Training Program." They don't do the "phases" anymore, so I guess after a week or so, they just cut you loose.

Damn, just realized this is in the Army folder... I guess I don't even bother looking, since 99% of the posts are in the AF one lol

Gee, so pretty much like it was for me when I got to DLI in 1974 from Lackland. We had no "phase" program or anything like that. We could go downtown, and did, the next day, since we pulled in late at night.

jody
06-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks for your opinion.

OtisRNeedleman
06-07-2013, 12:24 AM
The restriction only applies to IET soldiers, mostly Cryptolinguists who go there straight out of Basic. 2100 curfew and no overnight passes is not really much of a change for most of them unless Basic got WAY softer than when I went through less than 5 years ago. They don't even go to their AIT before language school, the Army wants to make sure they can learn the language first before wasting money on the actual TS training.

The restrictions are petty, but there you go. The only people who are going to have morale problems are the ones who are already there and used to later nights out, and if they want to drop after getting through Basic over a curfiew then I say get rid of them before some poor platoon sergeant has to.

Have you gone through DLI? I have. Toughest school I have ever attended. Would you like to have a 2100 curfew, no alcohol, and no overnight passes for up to the next 18 months, especially if you are in your late 20's or so? On top of that, you have a grueling language course, study hall, physical training, military training, and forced volunteering downtown. Not a lot of fun to be a DLI student. One reason why linguist retention is so poor. That's why not just the Army, but all the services put so many students through DLI. I have been both a linguist and have commanded linguists.

UH1FE
06-07-2013, 01:59 AM
If you restrict any troop from any service like that you just end up with more discipline problems. People need breaks in the grind to let off some steam and re-energize.

OtisRNeedleman
06-07-2013, 03:22 AM
If you restrict any troop from any service like that you just end up with more discipline problems. People need breaks in the grind to let off some steam and re-energize.

Absolutely. When I was a young punk E-1 starting DLI our first shirt said after we'd been there a while and felt like we were getting ready to go apeshit come see him for a 3-day pass. The pass covered Fri/Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun/Mon. A welcome break. Got a few over my year there. DLI turns three-day weekends into four-day weekends but if you can't go on pass and have to be back in quarters by 2100 I have to ask just how much of a break one gets.

I can imagine the mental health clinic at DLI, probably already busy, will get even busier.

garhkal
06-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I wonder if they are going to require all students hand over the keys to their cars/vehicles, and if the student wants it back,, they have to "ask daddy"...

Banned
06-08-2013, 01:34 AM

Agreed. Also notice how the article stated that you can get written permission to go past curfew. That means you can still apply for weekend passes (and probably get it if you've got good grades and no disciplinary problems)

Let's give them a straw... so they can suck it the fuck up. a 2100 curfew for junior Soldiers isn't that bad. Yeah I know they're "geniuses" and all that shit and should get special treatment... but they can put up with it along with the rest of us.

If someone complains, put him in a combat arms school for a few days, see how he likes it.

Comrade
06-08-2013, 01:56 AM
The policy sounds a lot like the current policy for USFJ... As I recall, most of those people are assigned there for 3-4 full years.

OtisRNeedleman
06-08-2013, 03:13 AM
The policy sounds a lot like the current policy for USFJ... As I recall, most of those people are assigned there for 3-4 full years.

And you have the same lack of leadership in USFJ. Instead of punishing the miscreants, punish everyone. REAL (sarcastic) smart.

RobotChicken
06-08-2013, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't be surprised. Already believe they have to do a bunch of "force protection" or "risk management" stuff if going further than a certain distance. Treating troops like children is always counterproductive, and, frankly, contemptible.
Just like the Naval Academy, had to be in your senior year before u got a car, garages all over town were full of midshipman's cars, LOL!

OtisRNeedleman
06-08-2013, 03:21 AM
I wonder if they are going to require all students hand over the keys to their cars/vehicles, and if the student wants it back,, they have to "ask daddy"...

I wouldn't be surprised. Already believe they have to do a bunch of "force protection" or "risk management" stuff if going further than a certain distance. Treating troops like children is always counterproductive, and, frankly, contemptible.

RobotChicken
06-08-2013, 03:29 AM
#20 after #21

garhkal
06-08-2013, 06:22 AM

That's one of the things i always hated when navy ships do cruises..
E6+ overnight
E5 and below need 'mommies permission'..

Creaminess
06-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Hey, the best way to deal with the sexual assault problem in the military is by punishing EVERYBODY, regardless of whether you're doing anything wrong. Right?

(Note: That was sarcasm, for those of you not familiar with it.)

garhkal
06-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Well they do that when an E6 or below gets a DUI. punish all the E6 ad below..

Pullinteeth
07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
At least one Soldier has his head screwed on straight;

“This represents the military’s simplistic approach to solving a complex issue that it has ignored for years,” Army Spc. Sam Ellison, a 28-year-old soldier at Texas’ Goodfellow Air Force Base, which has a 9 p.m. curfew for new troops, wrote in an email to the Army Times newspaper.
Ellison said the misguided thinking is, “If we treat all of the soldiers like criminals, they can’t commit crimes.”
“Big Brother would be proud,” he wrote.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130714/NEWS05/307140012/Military-works-change-culture-combat-rape

Creaminess
07-16-2013, 04:20 PM
At least one Soldier has his head screwed on straight;

“This represents the military’s simplistic approach to solving a complex issue that it has ignored for years,” Army Spc. Sam Ellison, a 28-year-old soldier at Texas’ Goodfellow Air Force Base, which has a 9 p.m. curfew for new troops, wrote in an email to the Army Times newspaper.
Ellison said the misguided thinking is, “If we treat all of the soldiers like criminals, they can’t commit crimes.”
“Big Brother would be proud,” he wrote.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130714/NEWS05/307140012/Military-works-change-culture-combat-rape

The John Lennon quote in your signature is incomplete.

Pullinteeth
07-16-2013, 04:43 PM
The John Lennon quote in your signature is incomplete.

May I make a movie reccomendation to you?

Dinner for Schmucks...

Barry: In the words of John Lennon; you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not...
Tim: The only one...
Barry: What?
Tim: You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... that's the lyric...
Barry: Yeah. Okay, Tim...

Creaminess
07-17-2013, 02:01 PM
May I make a movie reccomendation to you?

Dinner for Schmucks...

Barry: In the words of John Lennon; you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not...
Tim: The only one...
Barry: What?
Tim: You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... that's the lyric...
Barry: Yeah. Okay, Tim...

Ah, no, I haven't seen that one; I'm not much of a movie fan.