PDA

View Full Version : Bases You Where At That Are Now Closed

eman_osan
06-04-2013, 06:22 AM
This got me to thinking after seeing Boss 302's thread about a new round of BRAC closures. Here's my list and time on station:
Laredo AFB, TX - 72-73
Chanute AFB, IL - 73 -74
Utapao RTNAB, Thailand 74-75
RAF Bentwaters, UK, 77-79
Brooks AFB, TX, 79-83
Kelly AFB, TX, 85-88

The only bases left over from my time are Langley, Kunsan and Osan.

loggie94
06-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Helped close Reese AFB...Lubbock, TX.

Your_Name_Here
06-06-2013, 03:27 AM
My Tech School at the time was Lowry AFB, between Aurora and Denver, CO. It closed in '94, IIRC.

The family and I drove around the grounds last August. About 4 out of every 5 bldgs are no longer standing, only concrete slabs, overgrown brush...and no fence!
I did find my old dorm bldg--boarded up, and some REALLY nice houses on what was the western side. The HQ Bldg was converted into apartments. Felt interesting being in a place I hadn't seen nor set foot in for the better part of two decades.

RobotChicken
06-06-2013, 04:43 AM
My Tech School at the time was Lowry AFB, between Aurora and Denver, CO. It closed in '94, IIRC.

The family and I drove around the grounds last August. About 4 out of every 5 bldgs are no longer standing, only concrete slabs, overgrown brush...and no fence!
I did find my old dorm bldg--boarded up, and some REALLY nice houses on what was the western side. The HQ Bldg was converted into apartments. Felt interesting being in a place I hadn't seen nor set foot in for the better part of two decades.
I drove around it in 2001 after being there in '75, school&flying out of it and the only thing that looked familiar was the 'Buff' some A$$CLOWN had torched!