PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best supervisors, chiefs, and shirts?

Shaken1976
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
A few friends and I were discussing who makes the best supervisors, chiefs, and shirts. One thing we all agreed on is that they weren't perfect as airman. They probably got in a bit of trouble. I think the best shirt I ran across admitted to getting a DUI when he was a SrA. He also said he probably should have been kicked out a few times.

CJSmith
06-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Those are usually the best candidates for shirt duty. They've been through it all to know the processes. Mx should have the most shirts.

Cold Hard Facts
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I agree with the other posts WRT having had a hiccup or two makes good bosses. Best sup I had was a MSgt who admitted he'd had a ton if money issues as a SrA and had gotten an Art 15. It was back in the early 80s, but he was a great flight chief in 2003. More importantly than that I think, was that he just gave a damn. He wasn’t always craning his neck to kiss the Chief's butt when he wandered in. Not an anti-authority guy; just someone who gave you his no-kidding attention when you were talking with him. Good guy and when I think "good boss" or "effective leader" -- I instantly see him in my mind's eye.

BRUWIN
06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
He wasn’t always craning his neck to kiss the Chief's butt when he wandered in.

I would have had him force shaped.

Cold Hard Facts
06-03-2013, 07:52 PM
On an odd/coincidental note, he was sort of force-shaped out, err .. rather his shape force him out. He was a good 'un ... but he was also a BIG-'un. A real big 'un! He's a GS-12 w/retired MSgt pay now. Same size; just not sweating the waist measurement anymore!

Cold Hard Facts
06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Now that I think about ... he was the jolliest bastard I ever worked for.

RobotChicken
06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
:ponder: Now I picture him as a 'Santa' for Christmas at the base Youth services; I did it every year (with a pillow) arriving on a German fire truck 'red lights and siren' (of course) to bring the American style to them.

20+Years
06-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I tell folks all the time, and I mean it, I never thought I could get to 20 years before being kicked out for something.

Heres to all the times I never should have made it past. :very_drunk:

Chief_KO
06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
What saved most of us was the lack of digital cameras/smart phones & social media. We did many of the same things, just never put it out there for all to see.

technomage1
06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
A great supervisor, shirt or chief has to give a crap about their people. They need to pick them up when they're down, kick them in the butt when they need it, be honest with and give feedback, and generally use their powers to the benefit of their troops and not themselves. They need to give people latitude to make mistakes and to learn and grow from them.

We've become the one mistake, political NCO corps and it is not to the benefit of the organization or the people in it.

Measure Man
06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
A few friends and I were discussing who makes the best supervisors, chiefs, and shirts. One thing we all agreed on is that they weren't perfect as airman. They probably got in a bit of trouble. I think the best shirt I ran across admitted to getting a DUI when he was a SrA. He also said he probably should have been kicked out a few times.

I definitely think there is something to that...some personal experience getting in trouble puts things in perspective a little

DWWSWWD
06-03-2013, 10:57 PM
So, I was TDY to a school and notified there that I was selected for SrA BTZ. It was a Friday and I spent the majority of that night in jail, in Biloxi MS. Nice. It was harmless and not criminal, but i made the blotter and got the attention of the folks back home. I'm a pretty good egg so I survived that and several other learning opportunities. I'm not sure how much bearing that has on the decisions or recommendations that I make today. On paper, I am all for learning opportunities. I don't think we should be a one mistake Air Force. But until we start doing the right thing with our rating system, I have no basis for discriminating among Airmen. We can't keep everyone, we're shooting for about 40% retention of our first term Airmen. If my choices are firewall 5, firewall 5, firewall 5 and a failed PT test, what conclusion should I come to? Folks will bitch about the Chief not taking care of his guy but who should I be taking care of? The guys that you are telling me absolutely walk on water or the guy that doesn't meet standards? I do value work performance over bake sales but you have to give me something that shows me the difference.

CJSmith
06-04-2013, 03:28 AM
What saved most of us was the lack of digital cameras/smart phones & social media. We did many of the same things, just never put it out there for all to see.

This! A few of us in the office have said we are so glad Facebook wasn't around when we were airmen. People are dumb with FB.

MACHINE666
06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Best supervisors - Angry Black Females who just sew on Staff and feel like they have to prove they can do the job by being extremely overbearing

Best Shirts - Fat balding white guys who barely fit in their uniforms and feel like they have to prove they can do the job by being extremely overbearing

Best Chiefs - Clueless former hot chicks who make it to the top based on their looks, but can't manage their way out of a wet paper bag.

:D :D :D :D :D

RobotChicken
06-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Best supervisors - Angry Black Females who just sew on Staff and feel like they have to prove they can do the job by being extremely overbearing

Best Shirts - Fat balding white guys who barely fit in their uniforms and feel like they have to prove they can do the job by being extremely overbearing

Best Chiefs - Clueless former hot chicks who make it to the top based on their looks, but can't manage their way out of a wet paper bag.

:D :D :D :D :D
:lock1 You the MAN 'Machine666'!! :yourock::banana:

Pullinteeth
06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Isn't it interesting that there are a LOT of AFSCs/SDIs/RIs that have a ton of requirements but for a shirt?

3.5.1.1. Ability to speak distinctly.
3.5.1.2. Be an E-7 or above.

Chief_KO
06-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Isn't it interesting that there are a LOT of AFSCs/SDIs/RIs that have a ton of requirements but for a shirt?

That's what gives some command chiefs the juice to come up with their own list of requirements (PT=85, CCAF, etc.) along with the interview process. And they wonder why so many who would do good don't volunteer...

20+Years
06-04-2013, 09:06 PM
No worries, I hear its about to go back to non-vol basis.

SENDBILLMONEY
06-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Time to develop those strong regional accents so you don't get drafted for shirt duty.

imported_DannyJ
06-05-2013, 12:41 AM
No worries, I hear its about to go back to non-vol basis.

There's a great idea, make the job that's in charge of a unit's morale/wellfare a person that doesn't want to be there to begin with.

Alternate solution? Offer WAPS points!

Jamethon
06-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Shirt duty should only be two years, then back to the field. When you allow them in the field too long they begin to become over-versed in the legal aspect and turn from helping the people (even if it means bending the rules), into "this is what the AFI says in black in white." I have also had a shirt who ignored my problem because he knew someone at the base agency I was having an issue with and immediately took that person's side before even listening to what I had to say. I think shorter tours would make them less likely to turn into the shirt that no one can wait to leave (just to go to another squadron and f it up).

Who makes the best shirt? The maintenance guy who doesn't hate the world, or a flyer.

Chief? The ROAD kind...

Supervisor? 8 year Staff or 15 year Tech.. Been around long enough for their respective ranks to not be out of touch with those they are supervising, but not fast burner enough to be too much about their own agenda.