PDA

View Full Version : What has become of Air Force food service?

jondstewart
06-03-2013, 04:47 AM
I retired 3 years ago and that most cooks on Air Force installations were employing private contractors, aka cheap labor, especially the shady Aramark and Sodexo giants. Is this still the case?

Measure Man
06-03-2013, 05:43 AM
I retired 3 years ago and that most cooks on Air Force installations were employing private contractors, aka cheap labor, especially the shady Aramark and Sodexo giants. Is this still the case?

Sodexo just took over all the food service on our base...

VFFTSGT
06-03-2013, 06:00 AM
The Air Force might as well shut down except the UAV pilots...they can become warrant officers under the Army.

We pay millions to keep computers under warranty so Comm doesn't have to do any work. We aren't flying, so we don't need an Airfield. And even if we had money to fly, the paperweights are undergoing the latest billion dollar upgrade/fix. We don't have GOV's anymore that LRS maintains...we have GSA vehicles that get rotated out more often than tires need to be changed. FedEx and UPS deliver everything to us now from X Contractor to our work center...supply only serves as a delay in the process. We have disabled people cleaning toilets, taking out the trash, and lawn care. MPS does nothing but say call AFPC. Finance does nothing but say go see your OTDA. The clinic says call back tomorrow for another chance at the medical lottery. Security Forces is too busy to respond to wrecks but you just saw 12 of them sitting at the gate BS'ing. And everyone else is doing PT.

It's flipping retarded out there these days.

BURAWSKI
06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
The Air Force might as well shut down except the UAV pilots...they can become warrant officers under the Army.

We pay millions to keep computers under warranty so Comm doesn't have to do any work. We aren't flying, so we don't need an Airfield. And even if we had money to fly, the paperweights are undergoing the latest billion dollar upgrade/fix. We don't have GOV's anymore that LRS maintains...we have GSA vehicles that get rotated out more often than tires need to be changed. FedEx and UPS deliver everything to us now from X Contractor to our work center...supply only serves as a delay in the process. We have disabled people cleaning toilets, taking out the trash, and lawn care. MPS does nothing but say call AFPC. Finance does nothing but say go see your OTDA. The clinic says call back tomorrow for another chance at the medical lottery. Security Forces is too busy to respond to wrecks but you just saw 12 of them sitting at the gate BS'ing. And everyone else is doing PT.

Being in the Navy, I can't comment too much on what goes on in the Air Force except to say I see many of the same problems you guys are experiencing. There doesn't appear to be any real direction to focus on, or any creditable strategy with regard to actually fighting a war. The services should be training for war in peacetime. It doesn't seem to me that this is happening. To cut to the chase I just think that the whole military is run like a corporation rather than a military organization. That is the problem right there. The military was never set up to run like a civilian organization, nor was it intended to be a testing ground for social experiments. I think many would agree that our entire military has already become a hollow force of what it once was. Things work in cycles I suppose. Just after Vietnam the military became a hollow force in the 1970's, and didn't change until President Reagan became the Commander In Chief. The other problems I see are that the military may be too large for peactime. It doesn't help that these "wars" are not driven by national interest or for defending our freedoms. The last justifiable war that I can discern was WWII.

crwchf16
06-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Being in the Navy, I can't comment too much on what goes on in the Air Force except to say I see many of the same problems you guys are experiencing. There doesn't appear to be any real direction to focus on, or any creditable strategy with regard to actually fighting a war. The services should be training for war in peacetime. It doesn't seem to me that this is happening. To cut to the chase I just think that the whole military is run like a corporation rather than a military organization. That is the problem right there. The military was never set up to run like a civilian organization, nor was it intended to be a testing ground for social experiments. I think many would agree that our entire military has already become a hollow force of what it once was. Things work in cycles I suppose. Just after Vietnam the military became a hollow force in the 1970's, and didn't change until President Reagan became the Commander In Chief. The other problems I see are that the military may be too large for peactime. It doesn't help that these "wars" are not driven by national interest or for defending our freedoms. The last justifiable war that I can discern was WWII.

Well said Squid, though I think Korea was and is still worth protecting and there was no way we were going to let 9-11 pass without one hell of a fight. Otherwise I think you nailed it: the military's biggest single problem now (aside from idiot politicians) is a lack of a credible enemy to plan around.

VFFTSGT
06-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Well said Squid, though I think Korea was and is still worth protecting and there was no way we were going to let 9-11 pass without one hell of a fight. Otherwise I think you nailed it: the military's biggest single problem now (aside from idiot politicians) is a lack of a credible enemy to plan around.

Maybe if we hadn't overthrown the democratically elected government in Iran in 1953 we wouldn't have started a sh!t storm over there...all for oil.

And then there was that whole thing with creating Al Qaeda to fight Russia thing...

The sad thing is we as a government and country haven't learned anything or we have and don't care because oil is more important.

jondstewart
06-03-2013, 11:51 PM

Yep, you got it right there! You have seemingly fine SNCO's that have been Services their whole careers that barely know how to, if at all, flip eggs or boil oatmeal! All a matter of who's connected to what, president of the booster club, or someone whose charismatic personality or leadership easily influences people, but you find out soon enough it's a lot of hot air.

Yep, about the disabled folks doing all that dirty work, you have Airmen doing additional duties just come to the dining hall and do stuff in 2-4 hours that could easily be done in 30 minutes by any half-efficient person.

How about doctor appointments? You have problems with your hearing. Okay, first schedule an appointment about 2 weeks ahead of time to see your Primary Caregiver. Then he/she will give you a referral to ears, nose, and throat that takes maybe another week or two. Then they discover your hearing is off. Then you have an appointment made another week or two to have an MRI done or get hearing aids!