PDA

View Full Version : Follow-on assignment after COT

Shadowless
05-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Simple question, I am currently serving a short tour assignment, if I pick another short tour assignment after this one (at a different base) would I be eligible for a follow-on assignment after my second short tour assignment? I am unaccompanied.

Thank you very much for your time.

SomeRandomGuy
05-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Simple question, I am currently serving a short tour assignment, if I pick another short tour assignment after this one (at a different base) would I be eligible for a follow-on assignment after my second short tour assignment? I am unaccompanied.

Haven't you posted this exact same question like every other week for the last 3 months?

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1595747-Two-short-tour-assignments-in-a-row

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1595616-The-needs-of-the-Air-Force&p=616083&highlight=#post616083

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1595535-Osan-AFB&p=612154&highlight=#post612154

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1595445-Canceling-a-follow-on-assignment&p=609128&highlight=#post609128

Shadowless
05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Yes, I have posted this question but even after all those threads I have yet to get an answer. The threads always get over taken and spammed lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, once you get your assignment notification, you will be given an opportunity to apply for follow-on.

Thank you.

Measure Man
05-31-2013, 08:44 PM

Yes, once you get your assignment notification, you will be given an opportunity to apply for follow-on.

SomeRandomGuy
05-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, I have posted this question but even after all those threads I have yet to get an answer. The threads always get over taken and spammed lol.

Sorry I was not trying to be a dick. It just seems like the kind of question you could easily ask your supervisor. I know getting an answer from your supervisor is not always quick but I am sure it would have been quicker than posting 4 different threads here. Also just FYI the follow-on application you will fill out is the exact same aas the one you filled out when you were approved for (and then cancelled) your last follow on. If you were paying attention then you would already know that a follow on is on slightly better than a Base of Preference Application. The AF will try to match you but nothing is ever guaranteed. For some reason people think that a short tour (or even two) guarantees your #1 assignment choice afterwards. That is simply not true but I like that people believe it because it keeps Korea full of people who think they are getting florida after that.

Shadowless
05-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Sorry I was not trying to be a dick. It just seems like the kind of question you could easily ask your supervisor. I know getting an answer from your supervisor is not always quick but I am sure it would have been quicker than posting 4 different threads here. Also just FYI the follow-on application you will fill out is the exact same aas the one you filled out when you were approved for (and then cancelled) your last follow on. If you were paying attention then you would already know that a follow on is on slightly better than a Base of Preference Application. The AF will try to match you but nothing is ever guaranteed. For some reason people think that a short tour (or even two) guarantees your #1 assignment choice afterwards. That is simply not true but I like that people believe it because it keeps Korea full of people who think they are getting florida after that.

No worries, and honestly I have asked my supervisor and several others in my shop and have been told both answers. I have been told you can not do COT follow ons back to the states, that a follow on is only for your first follow on assignment and by doing back to back short tours I give up a follow on opportunity. I have also been told you have to move to another country not just another base to get a follow on. I have been told several different things by leadership and even personal when I called out bound. I apologize for the question but I was hoping someone here may have done back to back short tours and would know better then my supervisor or leadership who is just going off what they think or have heard in the past.

VFFTSGT
05-31-2013, 10:46 PM
You could end up with the same multiple answers from an online forum.

The best option would be call AFPC and ask them and then ask for the reference that says you do or don't.

They also email you with whatever response they give you on the phone so you then have it in writing.

technomage1
05-31-2013, 10:52 PM
The my myPERS website has info plus a ask a question feature.

Deploy Me Please
05-31-2013, 11:02 PM
The my myPERS website has info plus a ask a question feature.

I've used myPERS quite a bit and it has worked well. I've used it to correct an ADSC, get medals updated, etc.

technomage1
05-31-2013, 11:07 PM
I've used myPERS quite a bit and it has worked well. I've used it to correct an ADSC, get medals updated, etc.

Ive used them too. They are the only ones who can give you a straight answer anymore. The get back to you quickly as well.

UH1FE
06-01-2013, 01:31 PM
The only way I have ever been able to get an answer is to look at the AFI my self. Call outbound assignments and ask them which AFI covers it then do the research.

Max Power
06-01-2013, 07:38 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXmcQyZee6P1VdJKybMoDqNYSg88SEQ RGf5kjAxLucnm1-vcpU