PDA

View Full Version : Patient Advocate

Shaken1976
05-31-2013, 05:42 PM
After todays visit with my daughters pediatrician....I am seriously considering the patient advocate and a PCM switch for her...possibly off base. Here was todays issue.

My daughter had her 10 year well child appointment. Apparently she has several markers for Neurofibromatosis 1. One of them being several Cafe Au Lait spots on her body. Instead of quietly discussing this with me the doctor discussed it with my daughter including telling her that it sometimes leads to cancer. So now I have a very freaked out 10 year old on my hands until we go through the testing.

In addition, my child is small for her age. She has always been on the low end of the growth chart. She asked my daughter if I fed her and if anyone hit her at home. Seriously? The kid is well fed and is not hit. She is very active and eats healthy foods.

In January, my daughter fell and sprained her wrist. Apparently that was cause for concern.

Same doctor scared my daughter telling her she could have diabetes....she didn't.

I am pretty much over the whole clinic. The blow some stuff out of proportion. Others like her asthma and chronic bronchitis I have to fight to get treatment and usually end up going to urgent care on a Friday night because my kid can't breath.

VFFTSGT
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Wow...yeah, that is ridiculous! I would be visiting the patient advocate!

grimreaper
05-31-2013, 05:51 PM
After todays visit with my daughters pediatrician....I am seriously considering the patient advocate and a PCM switch for her...possibly off base. Here was todays issue.

My daughter had her 10 year well child appointment. Apparently she has several markers for Neurofibromatosis 1. One of them being several Cafe Au Lait spots on her body. Instead of quietly discussing this with me the doctor discussed it with my daughter including telling her that it sometimes leads to cancer. So now I have a very freaked out 10 year old on my hands until we go through the testing.

In addition, my child is small for her age. She has always been on the low end of the growth chart. She asked my daughter if I fed her and if anyone hit her at home. Seriously? The kid is well fed and is not hit. She is very active and eats healthy foods.

In January, my daughter fell and sprained her wrist. Apparently that was cause for concern.

Same doctor scared my daughter telling her she could have diabetes....she didn't.

I am pretty much over the whole clinic. The blow some stuff out of proportion. Others like her asthma and chronic bronchitis I have to fight to get treatment and usually end up going to urgent care on a Friday night because my kid can't breath.

If I had to take a wild guess, she's been seeing a PA and not an actual doctor. Am I right?

Pullinteeth
05-31-2013, 05:59 PM
The whole military medical system is a joke. Had a medical issue a while back. Went to "sick call" four hours later I was finally seen. Took drugs, got better for a while then got worse. Called in to get an apt. Was told I couldn't see a Dr. because I was in a particular group and that group only had one Dr. and she was booked indefinately. I asked if I could see another Dr. answer was no. I was told to call back every day to see if there were any cx's . I hit the friggin roof. I was told they would connect me to the patient advocate...guess what...got vm... I was LIVID. Eventually the pt advocate called me back, referred me to some nurse who gave me a referral off base-was in and out of there in less than an hour...

Shaken1976
05-31-2013, 06:11 PM
If I had to take a wild guess, she's been seeing a PA and not an actual doctor. Am I right?

Supposedly she is a doctor. I think she is a recruit from another country as her name sounds like a sneeze and she has a very thick accent making it very hard to understand her. But my ten year old sure understood the word cancer.

Shaken1976
05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Wow...yeah, that is ridiculous! I would be visiting the patient advocate!

I understand the doctor talking to Hannah about some things but not about something this serious.

grimreaper
05-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Supposedly she is a doctor. I think she is a recruit from another country as her name sounds like a sneeze and she has a very thick accent making it very hard to understand her.

Maybe that has something to do with it, but normally doctors have a little more skills dealing with patients and how to address potentially upsetting topics with better presentation.

Most PA's I've come across in the military are basically doing OJT and many don't have the people skills actual doctors that have been doing it much longer do.

One thing I would do it talk to some of your friends to see if their kids have this same person as their PCM and ask if they like her or not. That's an easy way to tell if it's an isolated incident or if she really does just plain suck.

I did a PCM change at a past assignment because the PCM sucked so bad and everyone else I could find that had the same person had the exact same opinion. You would think that after a certain number of complaints or requests to change PCM's, the MDG would get the hint, but nope.

RobotChicken
05-31-2013, 07:05 PM
:usa2 Where is the late.. 'SG C Everett Koop' when we need him?? :usa

CYBERFX1024
05-31-2013, 07:06 PM
The only big problem I had with a Pediatrician that was when were referred to them by Tricare. My daughter was only about 4-6 months old and we took her in for a check up. The female doctor was looking her over and and said she was perfectly healthy. But then she gave us advice to follow which was "to spread my daughter's female parts, so that they don't grow together". When we (me and my then wife, now ex-wife) heard that we looked at each other like WTF. When we went home and talked about it that night. We both agreed that she was crazy, because if I did that and something happens. who do you think will go to jail? It would be me.

So the next day I called the Patient Advocate and told them we wanted to switch practices. They asked us and and I flat out told them what happened. They agreed with me and quickly sent us to another practice.

jpeters
05-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Yep I think I would pay the patient advocate a visit. But if you have one with the same attitude as I talked to it’s just going to piss you off more. They acted like they were doing me a favor by taking all the information I was giving them and even made the comment “that’s all your calling about”. I agree that the whole military healthcare system is a joke. I just wait until after 4:30 and go to the hospital downtown.

TJMAC77SP
05-31-2013, 07:10 PM
....... her name sounds like a sneeze ..................

Classic.

Had two experiences with doctors like that during my career. Not pleasant. Not this immigrant status but their apparent lack of competency.

Shaken1976
05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Classic.

Had two experiences with doctors like that during my career. Not pleasant. Not this immigrant status but their apparent lack of competency.

I have to wonder if there is that much of a lack of doctors here. My daughter has had several PCMs I couldn't understand. When she was a newborn her PCM was so hard to understand that I had to ask her to write things out for me. She was born with multiple heart issues so it was important I understood what was going on. Now it is that time again....gotta understand what the possible diagnosis is

technomage1
05-31-2013, 07:28 PM
I can understand asking your daughter privately if she was being fed and or abused. In your case, she's just naturally small. Unfortunately, as recent news stories have shown, some people in the Air Force do abuse and/or starve their kids. I'd rather they ask if they have any suspicion vs. letting a kid who is abused fall through the cracks.

As to telling a 10 year old she may have a serious condition without a parent being present - that is unacceptable and should be addressed properly.

OtisRNeedleman
06-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Things have certainly changed, and not for the better, unfortunately. My kids had good military pediatricians and a nurse practicioner, back in the 80's and early 90's. One nice thing about being stationed at Randolph in the late 80's and early 90's...you and your family got medical cards and if your kids got sick on weekends the Brooke Army Medical Center pediatric unit had a walk-in clinic during standard duty hours. Only had to take one of my kids once to a downtown hospital for an acute thing, late at night. And the BAMC emergency room was top-notch. I remember a Dr. Wood doing a great job of sewing up my little son's chin after he fell on his bike. The little guy was trying to be cute and fell right in front of Dad. Saw the blood, grabbed a towel, wrapped it around the chin, bundled him into the vehicle and off we went to BAMC. Took him right in and sewed him right up, damned near a drive-through fix. Minimal scar. So wherever you are, Dr. T. Wood, thanks again. Had my full bird sign a letter of appreciation to the BAMC commander for the care.