PDA

View Full Version : Changing the rules

CommunityEditor
05-31-2013, 04:45 PM
From reflective belts to taking time off, there are some regulations airmen voice their opinions about regularly.

What rules do you think need changing? How would you go about changing them?

Post your responses here, or send them to dsorlie@airforcetimes.com.

Your comments may be used in an upcoming story.

Pullinteeth
05-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Jebus Christos....the problem with the AF is they won't STOP changing. I get it, some things NEED changing but the AF changes just to change. The DoD has a weight standard, AF decides that just isn't good enough and gets an ETP to launch the abomonation that is the FTF program. They can't get THAT right so they change it every six months.
Uniforms? Why they need to be changed constantly too...

What makes it all worse is that the AF is so into change, they always seem to do it half@$$ed. They change before they even come up with the rules for the change. They add fitness to the EPR but don't change the EPR AFI... Same with OPRs.... That took what 4-5 years for them to actually do? They just make changes with no guidance on implementation....

Shadowless
05-31-2013, 06:46 PM
I know this is not a direct rule, but I would love to see a change in the rules for leave. As a shift worker I am sick and tired of Mon-Fri taking leave Mon-Fri and getting their weekends off for free, while I am stuck working the day before I take leave and the day after I come back no matter what. I would love a rule that makes the leave policy fair amongst every career field.

crwchf16
05-31-2013, 06:55 PM
If you want to know what the AF should and shouldn't change, just review the forum posts of the last few months. Everyone on these forums has been more than vocal about their fixes. I think to boil it down though the AF needs to:
1. Ditch the PT test being listed on the EPR/OPR. Making it a career-killer only emphasizes that the AF is less interested in the health of its people as it is in using it as a force-shaping tool. If they insist on keeping it then scrap the waist measurement and mandate providing PT time during the duty day.
2. Lose the ABU, go with multicam. The ABU is hot, uncomfortable and I've yet to figure out what sort of background it’ll hide me in.
3. Bring back unit patches. Allow us to show some pride in our units and what we do.
4. Stop trying to do more with less. You’ve dropped well past rock-bottom manning levels and have dug into the ground underneath yet are still trying to fly the same insane hours you did years ago. It’s wearing badly on both the aircraft and the people who kill themselves maintaining them.
5. Put fighter maintenance back under Ops. As a fighter crew chief, we deploy under Ops and when we worked for Ops the pilots could not so easily ignore how the maintainers were treated. I understand the AMXS concept works well for heavy aircraft so leave it in place for them but for fighters it just doesn’t work.

Mr. Happy
05-31-2013, 08:42 PM
I think reflective belts are a worn out gripe. Personally, being in a flight line career field, I never really had a beef with them. Easy to wear them, no biggie. A lot of the disdain for them I think was driven by the idiotic rules in the AOR concerning them. Lately though, seems reflective belts have taken a back seat to PT. At least at my installation, there doesn't seem to be as much emphasis on them lately.

A rule change I think would be cool is raise the use or lose threshold for leave to 120 days for people with 16 years or more TIS. I realize the intent is for people to actually take the leave to re-energize, but being able to accumulate that much terminal leave time prior to the inevitable retirement date would go a long ways for a smoother transition to civilian life.

I think PT testing with an approved retirement/separation date is silly. Doesn't seem worth the hassle of administering the test or dealing with any potential failures. Putting a person on a mandatory fitness program who is 90 days out from a retirement date is just plain silly. Denying a retirement decoration over a failed fitness test 7 months prior to your retirement date...silly.

Prohibit strat statements from EPRs; too much subjectivity, favoritism and politicking. You only compete against your AFSC peers for promotion, so just because someone is #1 in a unit full of underachievers, ROADs and clowns, doesn't mean they are in the top percentile of SNCOs in the career field.

SomeRandomGuy
05-31-2013, 08:50 PM
I know this is not a direct rule, but I would love to see a change in the rules for leave. As a shift worker I am sick and tired of Mon-Fri taking leave Mon-Fri and getting their weekends off for free, while I am stuck working the day before I take leave and the day after I come back no matter what. I would love a rule that makes the leave policy fair amongst every career field.

I like your suggestion but I hope the AF stays away from this one. There is quite simply no way to accomplish what you are asking. The only fair way to handle the leave program is at the local level. Also FYI last time I checked (it could have changed) a M-F worker is not allowed to "bridge" the weekend. I am not saying that it does not happen but it is actually a violation of the AFI and if orderly rooms still existed people wouldn't be able to do it.

EDIT: After I typed this whole thing out I rememberred what the Army does (some units). If you take leave on a M and then separately on a F they actually require you to come in on the days between and "sign in" at the unit to prove you are in fact in the local area like you are suppsoed to be. That is the only way to prevent people abusing the leave system.

UH1FE
05-31-2013, 09:30 PM
The only tradition and heritage the AF has is CHANGE. If we stop changing things we will lose the only heritage and tradition we have!

SomeRandomGuy
05-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Here is a simple one: Take the social security number (SSN) off the ID card and replace it with the unique ID number already assigned to every common access card. After that please tell every organization that they do not need my SSN. For example if I am on a meal card why in heck does the chow hall need my SSN? Pretty sure if they can find another method of verifying me like I don't know, maybe looking at the picture on my ID.

USAF-Controller
05-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Get rid of EPR bullets. We waste countless man hours a year crafting, scrubbing and rewriting them. As a supervisor, it's supposed to be MY decision what to rate my troop. Rater's raters should still be involved to make sure that personal bias stays out of it as much as possible and probably shirts as well. Beyond that, why are there 10 different people (Most of whom barely know my troop) involved in his EPR? And while we're at, stop asking me why I mark someone down. If he comes to work, does his job and then goes home, thats a 3. He is average, no more, no less. You should be asking me what he did to earn a 4 or a 5, not what he did wrong to be marked down.

RobotChicken
05-31-2013, 10:11 PM
:laughing: F-35A is starting a 'new' tradition! :deal:

Measure Man
06-01-2013, 12:26 AM
I think the AF could reconsider the "rule" that all enlisted AFSCs must have equal promotion opportunity.

Let's face it...some jobs don't need Chiefs and don't effectively grow Chiefs...or SMSgts. Some need more than others...

the career path and rank structure doesn't need to be the same for every job.

RobotChicken
06-01-2013, 12:45 AM
:spy In my rate and a few others, you would have to wait till someone E-6 and above retired,died or got the boot till you advanced, E-5 with 20 was not unheard of; a friend of mine I worked with and met again 20 years later stayed E-6 for 12 years,passed chief every time up and was never selected. :clock

Measure Man
06-01-2013, 12:58 AM
:spy In my rate and a few others, you would have to wait till someone E-6 and above retired,died or got the boot till you advanced, E-5 with 20 was not unheard of; a friend of mine I worked with and met again 20 years later stayed E-6 for 12 years,passed chief every time up and was never selected. :clock

In the Air Force...every AFSC (career field) is promoted equally, whether there are open positions with that career field or not...if the rate is 20%, let's say...20% of the eligible in each career field are promoted.

A career field could be 300% manned in E-9s and they would still get some new ones promoted based on AF-wide vacancies across all career fields....while others are consistently below what they need.

There are a few career fields that get a slight boost in promotion rates, but it doesn't amount to much.

Slyoldawg
06-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Here is a simple one: Take the social security number (SSN) off the ID card and replace it with the unique ID number already assigned to every common access card. After that please tell every organization that they do not need my SSN. For example if I am on a meal card why in heck does the chow hall need my SSN? Pretty sure if they can find another method of verifying me like I don't know, maybe looking at the picture on my ID.

Prior to 1956 all the military used Service Numbers. I joined the LA ANG at 16 and received my Service Number. When I turned 17 and entered the Air Force my Service Number continued being used by the AF. They went to SSAN when they included us in the Social Security program in 1956. I still remember that Service Number because we had to recount it in the pay line to pick up our cash every payday. Most of the other old timers I know all wish they'd have kept the Service Number instead of switching to the SSAN

ChiefB
06-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Prior to 1956 all the military used Service Numbers. I joined the LA ANG at 16 and received my Service Number. When I turned 17 and entered the Air Force my Service Number continued being used by the AF. They went to SSAN when they included us in the Social Security program in 1956. I still remember that Service Number because we had to recount it in the pay line to pick up our cash every payday. Most of the other old timers I know all wish they'd have kept the Service Number instead of switching to the SSAN

I came on board in '61 and had my service nr. until '69 when it was mandatory to use your SSAN in all paperwork.
Guys never forgot their old SN and I still have mine buried in the farthest reaches of my mind... AF19723***, just like the days of standing in the pay line, at the base theater having to sound off with your name, rank, and SN before a butter bar gave you $38.00, cash, every two weeks. (Yes folks, that was our total pay and allowances, every two weeks, as AB)

I remember an old Perry Mason mystery where he broke a murder case where a man had killed and assumed the name and life of a service member. Just when the defendant was about to win the case, Mason asked him to recite his old military Serial Number he had before his SSAN, the guy stuttered and said he couldn't remember it. Mason pointed out that in a study done by some institute that not one old service member still in possession of all his faculties, regardless of age could be found that did not remember his original military service nr. Guilty. Case closed.

I agree with wishing we had stayed with the old Service Nr., methinks it would have prevented a lot of GI ID theft by those who have preyed on the proliferation of the use of the SSAN for most everything in today's cyber world.

RobotChicken
06-01-2013, 04:16 AM
In the Air Force...every AFSC (career field) is promoted equally, whether there are open positions with that career field or not...if the rate is 20%, let's say...20% of the eligible in each career field are promoted.

A career field could be 300% manned in E-9s and they would still get some new ones promoted based on AF-wide vacancies across all career fields....while others are consistently below what they need.

There are a few career fields that get a slight boost in promotion rates, but it doesn't amount to much.
Alot of sailors would leave a hi tech rate and go Bosum mate or some non tech rate to get promoted, talk about a huge chunk of talent and years of experience $$ gone!

CrustySMSgt
06-01-2013, 04:47 AM
A rule change I think would be cool is raise the use or lose threshold for leave to 120 days for people with 16 years or more TIS. I realize the intent is for people to actually take the leave to re-energize, but being able to accumulate that much terminal leave time prior to the inevitable retirement date would go a long ways for a smoother transition to civilian life.

This would be a nightmare. Being a MAJCOM functional I have to work hard enough to overcome folks who have close to 90 days + 20 PTDY, if they let you carry 120, this would put the best case folks at 147.5 days + 20 PTDY. This means there is a body filling a billet that I can't use for 5 months (once you add HHG, outprocessing...). Throw 2-3 folks retiring in a small shop and you're screwed. Great for the retiree, but for those left behind who aren't going to get a backfill for 4-5 months AFTER they start terminal, it sucks.

RobotChicken
06-01-2013, 05:49 AM
:spy Hence the problem 'Do more with less', no extra bodies to take up the slack! God forbid a warship to have a serious defect underway with their optimum manning games...:frusty

bcoco14
06-01-2013, 09:50 AM

They are already doing that.

Drackore
06-01-2013, 11:15 AM
The first change that needs to happen before anything else is the drawdown of the officer corps, starting with Generals. Then we need to reevaluate the civilian workforce, especially as it pertains to them taking old school blue suit jobs. They aren't saving us money, and they aren't productive.

Then we need to get officers to actually listen to what CSAF and CMSAF said about giving us our time back. Time to relook at all our programs and training and see what we can throw away. Not a single program or training requirement "drew down" while we were slashing manning. We increased duties and responsibilities to asinine levels.

Chief_KO
06-01-2013, 12:30 PM
1. Either "legalize" exec positions at the wing, group, squadron level (to include the command chief's exec) by creating a special duty identifier and billet or eliminate them all-together. Currently they are filled "out of hide" by subordinate units (usually on a rotating basis). They are sold as a "career broadening" opportunity, and while I agree to some extent, justify the manpower requirement and make it a funded position.
2. Eliminate stratification statements on SNCO EPRs. Way too much time wasted on this process. Don't the markings on the front side and the ranking on the back provide a method of discriminating the top performer worthy of promotion consideration?
3. Synchronize the EPR cut off to each ranks' respective Promotion Eligibility Cutoff Date (PECD). This single, simple change (which would probably take a few years to implement in stages) would put a huge dent in EPR inflation (easy to rank your Airmen as 3, 4, 5 when they all close out the same time), decrease the overall admin burden (the sheer volume of reports would greatly reduce the amount of wordsmithing and "happy" to "glad" changes), and would eliminate the "CRO EPR" dance (when units change reporting officials to generate a new EPR to improve someone's promotability).
4. Serious review of organizational structure. Do we need this many GOs? Do we need all the NAFs? (Seriously, my last 2 assignments the only time I had to engage my NAF was for annual awards...never once in 4 years received any guidance or information) Do we need both FOAs and MAJCOM A-staffs? (Seems redundant and are often in conflict). Cut out the unneeded overhead, return the $ (manpower, funding, etc.) to the field!

Mr. Happy
06-01-2013, 01:12 PM
This would be a nightmare. Being a MAJCOM functional I have to work hard enough to overcome folks who have close to 90 days + 20 PTDY, if they let you carry 120, this would put the best case folks at 147.5 days + 20 PTDY. This means there is a body filling a billet that I can't use for 5 months (once you add HHG, outprocessing...). Throw 2-3 folks retiring in a small shop and you're screwed. Great for the retiree, but for those left behind who aren't going to get a backfill for 4-5 months AFTER they start terminal, it sucks.

Good point man. Didn't think about the impact that would have on vacant positions over an extended period, and being in the position I'm in, understand completely. But man, it would be nice to check out about 5 months out!

Pullinteeth
06-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Also FYI last time I checked (it could have changed) a M-F worker is not allowed to "bridge" the weekend.

You can take leave M-F and not have to take either weekend but if you take say T-F and M-W, you are supposed to be charged leave for the weekend-even if you stay local;

6.1.7. Leave Begins and Ends in the Local Area. The local area is the place where the member lives and from which he or she commutes to the duty station. Charge leave for duty days and non-duty days (for example, Friday through Monday) when members take leave on the day before and the day after non-duty days. This applies to leave taken in the local area. Exception: When a member‟s leave ends on a day before a non-duty day, the commander may authorize leave on the next duty day for an emergency situation and not charge leave for the non-duty days. If the member knew of the emergency situation before his or her departure on the original leave, charge the member leave for the weekend or other non-duty days.

Mr. Happy
06-01-2013, 01:28 PM
1. Either "legalize" exec positions at the wing, group, squadron level (to include the command chief's exec) by creating a special duty identifier and billet or eliminate them all-together. Currently they are filled "out of hide" by subordinate units (usually on a rotating basis). They are sold as a "career broadening" opportunity, and while I agree to some extent, justify the manpower requirement and make it a funded position.
2. Eliminate stratification statements on SNCO EPRs. Way too much time wasted on this process. Don't the markings on the front side and the ranking on the back provide a method of discriminating the top performer worthy of promotion consideration?
3. Synchronize the EPR cut off to each ranks' respective Promotion Eligibility Cutoff Date (PECD). This single, simple change (which would probably take a few years to implement in stages) would put a huge dent in EPR inflation (easy to rank your Airmen as 3, 4, 5 when they all close out the same time), decrease the overall admin burden (the sheer volume of reports would greatly reduce the amount of wordsmithing and "happy" to "glad" changes), and would eliminate the "CRO EPR" dance (when units change reporting officials to generate a new EPR to improve someone's promotability).
4. Serious review of organizational structure. Do we need this many GOs? Do we need all the NAFs? (Seriously, my last 2 assignments the only time I had to engage my NAF was for annual awards...never once in 4 years received any guidance or information) Do we need both FOAs and MAJCOM A-staffs? (Seems redundant and are often in conflict). Cut out the unneeded overhead, return the $ (manpower, funding, etc.) to the field!

Some of those positions are probably useful and should be funded, but some can go. I think squadron superintendents, which they take a chief out of hide from a flight-level, is sort of a waste. They funded group superintendents, and I definitely think that is a wasted position. All they do is harm the career fields they take them from.

The NAFs can go. I did a stint at 3 AF, and at times we were gainfully employed, but about 60% of the time, I was constantly trying to find productive things to do. I never had dealings with the wings directly unless we were planning an operation concerning their aircraft.

Chief_KO
06-01-2013, 01:56 PM
I think squadron superintendents, which they take a chief out of hide from a flight-level, is sort of a waste. They funded group superintendents, and I definitely think that is a wasted position.

My experience was that each Chief billet is reviewed annually to determine if valid. If a unit had 100 or more enlisted assigned, then a Chief supt billet (in the appropriate AFSC) is assigned (and filled). If a unit is taking someone out of hide it would be as a back fill. As a Chief (and Chief-select) your AFSC changes to the CEM code (example a 3D191 would become a 3D100). Normally a flight would not have CEM assigned (of course unless it was a large flight and the billet was justified). Likewise group supts have a 9G identifier, and are legal funded billets. Each 9G is fed by AFSCs in that group (MDG 9Gs must come from medical, OG from ops, MXG from maint, MSG from support). Unless someone is pulled up as a backfill (been there/done that twice) the Chief is awarded the 9G identifier and the "losing unit" will get a Chief replacement. Of course it is never perfect and there are almost always gaps. Throw the deployments and the 365s into the mix and there is alot of shuffling.... But, if exec duty is a justified manpower requirement...make it so and make it legal (or make it go away never to return!!).

ChiefB
06-02-2013, 12:11 AM
---Quote (Originally by ChiefB)---
"Why can't the AF put a dent in suicides, slow them down... convene a Human Resources committee of all ranks, all AFSCs,personnel reps, school reps, boot reps, wives reps, psychologists,psychiatrists via Internet... thrash this out, get some real no-shyt players from the AOR and forbid the results to be converted into an AFI and make the results actionable by Air Staff and AFPC on their acts that are found to be contributing. This can be done... this is not Rocket Surgery!

Additionally, remove the PT program punitive emphasis from the EPR and instead prohibit non-combat decorations for performance (AFCM,MSM, etc.,) for those that fail the program. Split the PT program into two rated, separate levels; performance and weight control. Failure at either would require mandatory performance or weight-control training, (on duty) overseen by trained fitness trainers assigned to every base gym. Successful rehabilitation responsibility should be shared by trainers, the individual and medical community. Commanders should be required to accept medical diagnosis and evaluations on each subject individual. Assignment curtailment/cancellation and separation should await continued *_unjustified_* failure.

AF to other services ILO deployments should be prohibited and the needing service should be required to cross-train or TDY their own resources or use Guard or Reserve forces.

1st Sergeants should be given an anonymous program for people to self-identify areas they are experiencing stress, turmoil and conflict that are contributing to their mental health and well-being. Once notified, the 1st Sgt along with any other resources needed, should be responsible for managing the successful deconfliction of the individual's concern. EPR notice of any aspect of these contacts should be prohibited. Command Chiefs should be responsible for the success of this program.

12 hr shifts and any extended duty days must be the exception and need special application and study before approval and for only very specific instances or job position. AF should be manned for 8 hr duty days during peacetime. Command Chiefs should oversee compliance.

All service agencies should have a designated ombudsman,on duty, that can quickly resolve conflicts with service agents and their customers. He/she must be a very experienced senior person in the workplace and should be responsible to solve or provide alternate avenues for the customers dilemma. Command Chiefs should oversee compliance.

No service agency should be allowed to close during normal duty hours, for any convenient reason, (training or meals). At least one individual must be assigned to enable the agency to remain open and attendant throughout the duty day. Command Chiefs should oversee compliance.

All Doctor's/Dentists should be required to attend to their appointment patients within 20 minutes of their appointment time or the individual should be notified of the possible delay and have the option to reschedule at the top of the list. Late arrival of appointees should be cause for bottom of the list rescheduling. The hospital/clinic must have a designated ombudsman for conflict resolution of service-member and family difficulties with hospital personnel/practices. Command Chiefs should oversee compliance.

Aircraft/Aircrew training sorties should be strictly controlled and managed by Ops and MX to ensure sufficient maintenance personnel are available without having to extend duty days or resort to 12hr shifts, with very few exceptions. Sortie rates need to take a back seat to personnel availability and welfare.

The phrase "do more with less" needs to be an eliminated watch phrase by AF Staff. Replaced with "Doing our best with less" is the real solution,meaning when the force is cut, so should the mission be streamlined/reduced to account for less manning, less resources and less support and enable the Airmen to cope.. "Doing more with less" is an asinine assumption to all that currently carry the load.

Commanders should be allowed to devote some discretionary funds to each squadron for morale and welfare activities of the Squadron's choice. I would also suggest that a portion of the BX and Commissary profits be dedicated to individual Squadron,section, personal accounts for their use as they deem appropriate. Beer/BBQ busts on Fridays should not be prohibited for any section. Reasonable policing of these activities should fall to the assigned Chiefs/SNCOs.

EPRs should be on an 18 month/2 year cycle depending on circumstances, member PCS, etc. Revise to no number ratings, just "Minimally qualified, Qualified, Exceptionally well qualified","Promotable, Not ready for promotion". Non-military volunteerism notations should be prohibited and therefore allowable subjects in merit awards.

ALS should be a CCAF course. NCO academies should be revised and consolidated with heavy emphasis on leadership techniques, EPR comprehension and writing, comprehensive classes in awards & decs writing and counseling techniques. Additionally, programs such as families with special needs members, assignment policies and writing of punitive/corrective paperwork and UCMJ actions should be a focus. Speeches and presentations should be minimized.

SNCOA should continue to be attended upon promotion selection to E-7, the first step as a SNCO....

1Sgts should be able to recommend and supervise approved extra duty for bad actors. Commanders should have ED assignment authority, as appropriate, in lieu of career destroying Art 15s.

There is more, but you get my drift."