PDA

View Full Version : Gaming causes child abuse?

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Whoda thunk it?

"Commanders, supervisors and first sergeants are trained to be on the lookout for airmen with gaming addictions that can lead to child neglect and what Collins refers to as “stinky airmen.”

“Stinky airmen come from stinky houses. You walk in and they have elaborate gaming systems, and they are sitting in lawn chairs and sleeping on mattresses on the floor. This is not a safe place for these children,” Collins said."

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130530/NEWS/305300016/Child-maltreatment-up-slightly-2012

MACHINE666
05-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Death by Nintendo!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

(But seriously, parents need to get their shit together by putting down the X-Box controller and picking up their child. Kids need all the attention they can get, and a good parent will never regret the time they invest in their son or daughter. It will pay off exponentially in the end, unlike that Super Mario or Zelda game).

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Here is a picture of a guy with a serious gaming addiction. He even plays at work.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/101117-F-5608L-001.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of a guy with a serious gaming addiction. He even plays at work.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/101117-F-5608L-001.jpg

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 05:13 PM
(But seriously, parents need to get their shit together by putting down the X-Box controller and picking up their child. Kids need all the attention they can get, and a good parent will never regret the time they invest in their son or daughter. It will pay off exponentially in the end, unlike that Super Mario or Zelda game).

I get it...I played the heck out of some PS and some Nintendo 64 when I was single and some PS2 and Wii since I had kids but certianly not as much as I did when I was single and even then, not so much that it interfered with my drinking...

JD2780
05-30-2013, 05:16 PM
What happens when its the Sq sup that has the gaming addiction!!??

CJSmith
05-30-2013, 05:16 PM
WOW

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 05:22 PM

I get it...I played the heck out of some PS and some Nintendo 64 when I was single and some PS2 and Wii since I had kids but certianly not as much as I did when I was single and even then, not so much that it interfered with my drinking...

imported_DannyJ
05-30-2013, 05:25 PM
I know a "stinky" airman or 2. I'd call it an addiction when you spend more than $250 a month on gaming.

technomage1
05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
I know a "stinky" airman or 2. I'd call it an addiction when you spend more than $250 a month on gaming.

Guess I'm addicted then. I buy more than 4 games a month. Gaming is my hobby - but I'm single with no kids, run half marathons and take 2 showers a day. I never miss my responsibilities, though I have been know to take leave to game. My opinion is you can go overboard on anything - games, working on cars, collecting model trains, whatever. Most of the time, for most people, they can do these activities with no impact to their responsibilities but there are some who can't handle it.

Having said that, there is nothing like playing xbox live and hearing some kid wail in the background while clueless parent continues with their multiplayer match. At least mute the mic so the rest of us don't have to hear it....

And before the OUTRAGED replies come in, I'm JOKING on that last bit.

71Fish
05-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Drinking while gaming go hand in hand. How can you let one override the other?

imported_DannyJ
05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Guess I'm addicted then. I buy more than 4 games a month. Gaming is my hobby - but I'm single with no kids, run half marathons and take 2 showers a day. I never miss my responsibilities, though I have been know to take leave to game. My opinion is you can go overboard on anything - games, working on cars, collecting model trains, whatever. Most of the time, for most people, they can do these activities with no impact to their responsibilities but there are some who can't handle it.

Having said that, there is nothing like playing xbox live and hearing some kid wail in the background while clueless parent continues with their multiplayer match. At least mute the mic so the rest of us don't have to hear it....

I suppose I should have qualified the previous. Both guys have 2 kids. When you can't buy diapers cause you just NEED Bioshock Inifinite, you have a problem.

71Fish
05-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Have you ever touched a real boob?

sandsjames
05-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Nothing wrong with gaming at all. I've been through phases of gaming 4-8 hours a day. I don't see how that's any different than watching TV, working in the yard, etc. The problem comes in, with all those situations, when the kids don't get taken care of. Gaming has become a target because the "older" generation, who grew up without it, don't understand it. So whether a guy plays WoW for 40 hours a week or works in his yard or on his car for 40 hours a week I really don't care, as long as they take care of the kids at the same time.

meatbringer
05-30-2013, 06:40 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Every base I have been two has at least one in the shop who is the stinky airman. They are usually video game addicts. Before eveyone jumps down my throat, I also know people who play tons of games who practice good hygiene, but the two seem to go together. I have also worked with gamers who have been in trouble for neglecting their kids. I even work with a stinky and out of shape dude now who is ADDICTED to games. It is all he ever thinks or talks about. I enjoy video games, but this ongoing trend is pathetic.

technomage1
05-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Have you ever touched a real boob?

Sure, and I know when I'm talking to one too.

technomage1
05-30-2013, 06:46 PM
I suppose I should have qualified the previous. Both guys have 2 kids. When you can't buy diapers cause you just NEED Bioshock Inifinite, you have a problem.

I agree. You have to take care of your responsibilites first.

20+Years
05-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Sure, and I know when I'm talking to one too.

OH SNAP!!!

garhkal
05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Why just lable it gaming.. Sitting on a computer game is not the same as someone who games around a table doing say battle tech, adnd, axis and allies etc.

sandsjames
05-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm either the biggest gamer or 2nd place in my flight and I'll buy a game MAYBE every couple months. Some I NEED to have them when they come out but I never spend $250 a pop...wife would kill me.

I heard of a case where a kid was neglected becasue of World of Warcraft at this base......

You hear of the kids who were neglected by parents who don't play video games at all? Lot's of them, too.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm either the biggest gamer or 2nd place in my flight and I'll buy a game MAYBE every couple months. Some I NEED to have them when they come out but I never spend $250 a pop...wife would kill me.

I heard of a case where a kid was neglected becasue of World of Warcraft at this base......

You hear of the kids who were neglected by parents who don't play video games at all? Lot's of them, too.

Sergeant eNYgma
05-30-2013, 07:14 PM

sandsjames
05-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Or if you NEED beer, or a bigger TV, or expensive clothes, or a new car, or a restaurant meal, or anything else. I just can't understand why video games are looked at so different than everything else.

Banned
05-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Whoda thunk it?

"Commanders, supervisors and first sergeants are trained to be on the lookout for airmen with gaming addictions that can lead to child neglect and what Collins refers to as “stinky airmen.”

“Stinky airmen come from stinky houses. You walk in and they have elaborate gaming systems, and they are sitting in lawn chairs and sleeping on mattresses on the floor. This is not a safe place for these children,” Collins said."

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130530/NEWS/305300016/Child-maltreatment-up-slightly-2012

Nobody worships Master Chief (yet), so its okay for the Air Force to acknowledge that being overzealous playing Halo can be detrimental to a family.

VFFTSGT
05-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Gaming causes child neglect like guns kill people.

A recent spate of Air Force child deaths has brought the issue to the forefront.

In August, 22-month-old Tamryn Klapheke died at her home on Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, while her father, Senior Airman Thomas Klapheke, was deployed.

Police said she died as a result of long-term neglect and charged her mother, 22-year-old Tiffany Klapheke. Tiffany Klapheke later told a local TV station she’d been overwhelmed caring for three children under the age of 3.

She is scheduled to stand trial July 15. The Air Force charged Senior Airman Christopher Perez with failing to report neglect.

Perez was living at the Klapheke home when the child died. A court-martial date has not been set.

Remember us talking about this case. Looks like the father didn't get charged even though he was only deployed for a short time before this happened and the child died from "long term" neglect.

RobotChicken
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
:usa2Our military is a selection of a wide range of Americans of all race,gender,religious and an assortment of :fest30:!!

Zxc
05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Our NCOIC a couple years back was a big Wolrd of Warcraft gamer. No kids at home, and she was always highly recognized for her work. That never stopped the constant shaming from within the section on her hobby, to a point where it just became secretive when those who didn't know about it were around and even just around our shop she'd never bring it up. If you'd walk into a room when she was chatting with another player, there was this quick hushing and discomfort.

Sucks that a few "stinky Airmen", child abusers, or whatever you call them can drive the sentiment behind this article. Focus on the crime or misbehavior, don't label. If they're not taking care of their kids, hygene, or home then address that, but don't try to link it to other stuff without reason... there maybe be underlying issues with these Airmen that are driving them seek gaming as an outlet such as depression (immersion in another world, being another person, etc).

My wife and I have played video games together as a hobby for years and are going to try for a baby soon. Articles like this certainly make me want to just change the topic or give a bullshit answer whenever someone asks about my hobbies or personal life.

71Fish
05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Our NCOIC a couple years back was a big Wolrd of Warcraft gamer. No kids at home, and she was always highly recognized for her work. That never stopped the constant shaming from within the section on her hobby, to a point where it just became secretive when those who didn't know about it were around and even just around our shop she'd never bring it up. If you'd walk into a room when she was chatting with another player, there was this quick hushing and discomfort.

Sucks that a few "stinky Airmen", child abusers, or whatever you call them can drive the sentiment behind this article. Focus on the crime or misbehavior, don't label. If they're not taking care of their kids, hygene, or home then address that, but don't try to link it to other stuff without reason... there maybe be underlying issues with these Airmen that are driving them seek gaming as an outlet such as depression (immersion in another world, being another person, etc).

My wife and I have played video games together as a hobby for years and are going to try for a baby soon. Articles like this certainly make me want to just change the topic or give a bullshit answer whenever someone asks about my hobbies or personal life.

Sounds like someone I knew at Kunsan.

When I was there (Kunsan) the entire office down the hall play WOW.

meatbringer
05-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I think someone needs to actually do a study about the link between hours logged in a game like WOW and the effects it has on their overall health/hygiene. Hey, I play video games too, but I definitely feel that there is some sort of connection. Of course people will blow it out of proportion, but that just goes with everything. It all comes down to stupid people letting something like a hobby turn into a lifestyle.

Measure Man
05-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Whoda thunk it?

Yeah, I knew a couple Airmen like that.

As for me, any game better be over with me winning within an hour or I'm not interested.

Except chess...I can play chess longer than that.

VFFTSGT
05-30-2013, 10:26 PM

It's kind of like the Medical Group asking in the PHA questionaire if you have loaded guns in the house and then generated the report and told you, you were high risk individual, blah, blah, blah.

Thankfully, we got that question off the PHA.

Hopefully, you all don't see "Do you play video games" on next year's PHA.

omertalifestyle
05-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I think someone needs to actually do a study about the link between hours logged in a game like WOW and the effects it has on their overall health/hygiene. Hey, I play video games too, but I definitely feel that there is some sort of connection. Of course people will blow it out of proportion, but that just goes with everything. It all comes down to stupid people letting something like a hobby turn into a lifestyle.

I play the occasional game. I did get sucked into WOW a few years ago and that was like kicking a meth addiction when I quit. However I find myself not able to play games at the length that I used to, I'm usually done after an hour or so because I just can't stay focused on it. However I will say that I do have an addiction to certain TV shows...Game of Thrones specifically. I actually like the shows, books, reading the Wiki, I find it to be so historical (in the fake sense) that I just want to learn as much as I can.

Bunch
05-30-2013, 11:33 PM
I couldn't read the article because the link is broken for some reason but if the article implies that gaming itself is the cause for child neglect that's a lot of BS! The problem like with anything else is people! You will find child neglect/abuse in all types of family environments. Just a quick google search will make you notice that child neglect appears in educated families, non educated ones, religious families, non religious ones, gaming families and non gamers. I'm not a gamer but I know plenty people who are and have kids and they are great parents.

Measure Man
05-31-2013, 04:46 AM
In 2 of the IT shops i worked in, an average of 60% of them were in the same "Guild" on wow. 1 even had an alternate guild for starwars galaxies..

Too weird for me, bro

garhkal
05-31-2013, 04:46 AM
Sounds like someone I knew at Kunsan.

When I was there (Kunsan) the entire office down the hall play WOW.

In 2 of the IT shops i worked in, an average of 60% of them were in the same "Guild" on wow. 1 even had an alternate guild for starwars galaxies..

Measure Man
05-31-2013, 04:54 AM

Too weird for me, bro

Drackore
05-31-2013, 05:17 AM
It's only going to get worse folks. This is the first wave of people that grew up INSIDE, because it isn't safe to be OUTSIDE.

meatbringer
05-31-2013, 06:18 AM
I play the occasional game. I did get sucked into WOW a few years ago and that was like kicking a meth addiction when I quit. However I find myself not able to play games at the length that I used to, I'm usually done after an hour or so because I just can't stay focused on it. However I will say that I do have an addiction to certain TV shows...Game of Thrones specifically. I actually like the shows, books, reading the Wiki, I find it to be so historical (in the fake sense) that I just want to learn as much as I can.

Game of Thrones f*cking rules, and yes, the books are addicting. When you start neglecting your hygiene from the book series, then reevaluate your life.

sandsjames
05-31-2013, 02:45 PM
It's kind of like the Medical Group asking in the PHA questionaire if you have loaded guns in the house and then generated the report and told you, you were high risk individual, blah, blah, blah.

It'll be there. It's the new "fad" for leadership to look out for. Another one of the "preemptive" strikes that shows they know what's best for us.

- - - Updated - - -

Game of Thrones f*cking rules, and yes, the books are addicting. When you start neglecting your hygiene from the book series, then reevaluate your life.

So true......

Sergeant eNYgma
05-31-2013, 02:48 PM

And it'll be a "No" like 99% of the other questions...

VFFTSGT
05-31-2013, 03:08 PM

We are? :confused1:

Was that one of those 694 annual CBT's we have to do 4 times a year? :noidea

sandsjames
05-31-2013, 03:23 PM
We are? :confused1:

Was tha one of those 694 annual CBT's we have to do 4 times a year? :noidea

If I remember right there was an email that came out about 6 months ago or so that mentioned it. I do work in a Comm/Intel Group so I'm sure there's quite a bit more of it going on here than in other squadrons. Just from hearing these guys talk I feel a little nerdier. In CE they usually just brief about drinking and warming up before sports. Come to think of it, I've never heard one single briefing about sports related injuries in my current job. Other than bowling, I'm not sure if these guys play any sports. We've got a squadron of over 200 people and can't get two 9 person teams together for a softball game at our pickinick Booboo.

Zxc
05-31-2013, 04:50 PM

Ya, no... I wouldn't even be comfortable being facebook friends with coworkers let alone playing in a "guild" with others, on WoW or any other game. (Hell, my wife and I weren't even guilded when we played that one).

I also think that supervisors need to be careful how they interact with their Airmen even in 'digital worlds'. If an NCO has four Airmen, but plays WoW with one of them in the evenings, to me that is no different than hanging out with that one guy and not the others. Though not physically together, they're sharing an activity, talking, and doing something that they'll likely continue the conversation on while at work, and the perceptions will be just the same whether any favoritism develops or not. We always hear these scenarios and examples about how Sgt X and Airman Y like to go golfing, but none of their other coworkers do so they always go together on the weekends, yada yada yada, unprofessional relationship. People seem to GET that and do better at avoiding it, but I see it more often now with activities such as online games, where it may not initially feel like you're spending that one-on-one time with one subordinate and not others.

I have a small section, 8 people including non-military. Of those, 5 are gamers. Of the 3 that aren't, one has a husband who's a huge gamer... People talk games all the time in the shop and sometimes people are playing the same ones. Personally, when people bring up games that I play, I may join in the conversation but never will I suggest or accept invitations to play together

garhkal
05-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Too weird for me, bro

That's why MY gaming revolves around me using character sheets, books and dice for actual Role playing games..

Though thinking about it i laugh at the idea of smacking gamers, when on every ship i have been on, many shops had internal "Lans" up and running for those in the shop to do call of duty etc..
Heck my last ship, our shop was called on to set up 2 of those lans, one in the WARDROOM!

coloringoutsidethelines
05-31-2013, 08:25 PM
I think a lifetime of being a gamer has left me numb to this kind of crap.

Anytime there is a violent crime and it happens to be done by a gamer there is an outcry about banning games and how they rot your mind.

It is just a bunch of lazy deduction and rushing to conclusions.

Measure Man
05-31-2013, 08:31 PM
That's why MY gaming revolves around me using character sheets, books and dice for actual Role playing games..

Though thinking about it i laugh at the idea of smacking gamers, when on every ship i have been on, many shops had internal "Lans" up and running for those in the shop to do call of duty etc..
Heck my last ship, our shop was called on to set up 2 of those lans, one in the WARDROOM!

The extent of my "gaming" is playing Age of Empires II, set to EASY against two computer opponents. I can almost always win within an hour, it's not complicated, not stressful...I can save and pause the game if need be, too.

That and I play a lot of chess...10 minute games or correspondence games where you get 3 days to move. I really don't the fascination with these complicated level games, etc...way too much work for a leisure activity.