PDA

View Full Version : No More Base Stickers

Rusty Jones
05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2013/NAV13146.txt

RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN promulgates Navy policy eliminating the requirement for vehicle decals (DD
FORM 2220) for base access, effective 1 July 2013.

2. Background: Refs A through D state access to property and installations shall be accomplished by
vetting personal identity information to determine the eligibility of an individual requesting and
requiring access to Department of Defense facilities, thereby eliminating the decal (DD FORM 2220)
requirement for access. Ref A further states that vehicles on a Navy installation must continue to be
licensed, registered, inspected, and insured in accordance with state and local laws. Rental vehicles are
considered privately-owned vehicles for purposes of base entry and access control. The vehicle rental
contract will suffice as proper licensing, registration, and proof of insurance for base access.

3. Implementation: CNIC will provide an implementation plan via a NAVSHORE message for decal
elimination to include the following:
A. Concept of Operations (CONOPS): Activity parking plans; motorcycle safety training (that is not
dependant on display of the decal); barment control; enforcement of state licensing, registration,
insurance, and safety requirements through random anti-terrorism measures; CLEOC registration
process ensuring compliance with the Clean Air Act, etc.
B. A standard communications package will includes FAQs, briefing cards, and other associated
communication products for installations to provide information to tenant activities in preparation for
decal elimination. CNIC PAO will coordinate with CHINFO AND Region PAOs to disseminate.
C. A POA&M defining the phased implementation.

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping that the day would come, where we would return back to the gate guard waving you on base just by looking at you sticker, and not your ID card. Almost 12 years after 9/11, I was still waiting. Well, I guess I can stop waiting...

SENDBILLMONEY
05-30-2013, 01:26 PM
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2013/NAV13146.txt

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping that the day would come, where we would return back to the gate guard waving you on base just by looking at you sticker, and not your ID card. Almost 12 years after 9/11, I was still waiting. Well, I guess I can stop waiting...

But without the decals, how are officers' spouses supposed to get their salute?

*runs*

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank goodness....it is such a pain in the @$$ to go on some Naval installations without a sticker...

CrustySMSgt
The Air Force did away with them 5 (?) years ago... unfortunately at Peterson, Ft Carson is part of the medical treatment system and the Army still REQUIRES them (and it is a pain in the ass to get on base without them, even for AD personnel), so folks are still stuck getting them.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
As an AF guy with no sticker I remember that day I had to stand in line for 1.5 hours at the Norfolk Naval Station visitor center to get my pass. When I finally got to the gate the guard gave me crap because the date on the pass was written in the wrong color magic marker. I'm glad this wasteful, pointless practice of using stickers has come to an end!

JD2780
05-30-2013, 01:35 PM
The Air Force did away with them 5 (?) years ago... unfortunately at Peterson, Ft Carson is part of the medical treatment system and the Army still REQUIRES them (and it is a pain in the ass to get on base without them, even for AD personnel), so folks are still stuck getting them.

We had the issue at McChord and Ft Lewis as well. I'm assuming there were issues at many places. Elmendorf/Richardson, Wainwright/Eilson. The guys that had to go from Hickam to Wheeler. It was a pain, but you just got a post decal and dealt with it. It wasnt a big. When you go on a different services post you tend to go by their entry rules.

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Thank goodness....it is such a pain in the @$$ to go on some Naval installations without a sticker...

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 01:41 PM
The sticker is rather redundant in the era of 100% ID Card checks.

But the Navy didn't see it that way....and they weren't even consistant...some would say "oh, you're AF, welcome aboard" and others said even if EVERYONE in the vehicle had a valid ID, you would still have to go to the visitor's center to get a pass to get on base...

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
05-30-2013, 01:42 PM

And the ability to run someone's plate vs their decal registration number.

Stalwart
05-30-2013, 01:46 PM

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 01:55 PM

*runs*

Same way they have been geting them for the last 8-9 years on AF installations...the guard checks the ID and renders a salute...

forcedj
05-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Now I can park in the flag officer spots and no one will ever know.

Dan

RobotChicken
05-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Dan
:twak: They will detail some E-2 for 'parking lot security' for those spaces,mostly for spouses use ya know..:car

imported_WINTHORP1
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm so glad that they are going away. They kind of make us an easy target.

navyskcs
06-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Now motorcycle riders will no longer have to attend a motorcycle safety course because they really only attended so that they could get a base decal.

Now all of those sailors who were banned from driving on base because they were denied a decal due to lack of insurance, smog, etc, will be able to get on base again instead of parking in the lot across the street.

Now it will be up to the commands to have to spend time to enforce the above actions where as a simple decal issued at pass and ID did all that for them.

I hope the Navy has thought through all of this.....

RobotChicken
06-05-2013, 04:31 AM
Now motorcycle riders will no longer have to attend a motorcycle safety course because they really only attended so that they could get a base decal.

Now all of those sailors who were banned from driving on base because they were denied a decal due to lack of insurance, smog, etc, will be able to get on base again instead of parking in the lot across the street.

Now it will be up to the commands to have to spend time to enforce the above actions where as a simple decal issued at pass and ID did all that for them.

:damnit-sign2::lol:spy "Are you serious???" :wtf2:

imported_WINTHORP1
06-05-2013, 04:36 AM
You couldn't register your car if you didn't have it smog checked, so they still won't be able to drive there car on base. You still need insurance and go through the safety course, because that is mandated by the Navy. If you don't, the you go to NJP for failure to follow orders. It's not hard for the command to enforce the rules.

JD2780
06-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm so glad that they are going away. They kind of make us an easy target.

Or it could be the bad haircuts, entitled attitudes, military stickers all over folks car windows. Nah, it was those decals that did it.

JD2780
06-05-2013, 12:50 PM

In the AF we still had to attend and they gave us this tiny little sticker, they never looked for it at the gate. If they asked for it I had it in my wallet.

imported_WINTHORP1
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Or it could be the bad haircuts, entitled attitudes, military stickers all over folks car windows. Nah, it was those decals that did it.
Ok, there is that as well.

LogDog
06-05-2013, 11:06 PM
As an AF guy with no sticker I remember that day I had to stand in line for 1.5 hours at the Norfolk Naval Station visitor center to get my pass. When I finally got to the gate the guard gave me crap because the date on the pass was written in the wrong color magic marker. I'm glad this wasteful, pointless practice of using stickers has come to an end!
I'm glad this ended too. It was a waste of my time getting a sticker and a waste of money employing people (military and civilians) just to issue a sticker. When I asked the people at Pass and ID why they stilled used the base decals they said it was to ensure drivers had insurance. I didn't say anything because I knew it was BS since I could get car insurance and register my vehicle and the next day cancel the insurance.

I live in the San Diego area and it is sometimes fun when I enter a Navy base and show them my AF ID card with my rank on it. I know they're trying to figure out what rank I am from the glazed look in the eyes.

RobotChicken
06-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Let me tell you about that office, I went there for my stickers they were having a pizza party and screw us waiting....god was i pissed! Called a friend of the Co of NOB....party over!! (know how you felt 'Flaps)

LogDog
06-06-2013, 03:09 AM
There's a retired Navy LtCdr who is a prolific letter writer who has the answers to all the problems but takes no initiative to implement them. I'm sure every town has one of these characters. I had to laugh when he wrote a letter to the local paper or blog a year or two ago complaining about how he borrowed a car from a civilian friend of his and tried to drive onto the Navy the Navy base. He pulled up to the gate and showed the guard his retiree ID card but the guard wouldn't let him onto the base because he didn't have a decal or a pass for the car. In his letter, He went off on a rant about his being a retired LtCdr should have been enough to let him drive on base. From the tone of his letter you could tell he thought the guard and the Navy were out to get him. When I read his letter I could hardly keep from laughing or shaking my head thinking this retired LtCdr was making such a big deal out of it.

RobotChicken
06-06-2013, 03:53 AM
It was those USA plates in Europe with the black paint top and bottom to make 'em look euro that saved us!!LOL

RobotChicken
06-06-2013, 04:07 AM
There's a retired Navy LtCdr who is a prolific letter writer who has the answers to all the problems but takes no initiative to implement them. I'm sure every town has one of these characters. I had to laugh when he wrote a letter to the local paper or blog a year or two ago complaining about how he borrowed a car from a civilian friend of his and tried to drive onto the Navy the Navy base. He pulled up to the gate and showed the guard his retiree ID card but the guard wouldn't let him onto the base because he didn't have a decal or a pass for the car. In his letter, He went off on a rant about his being a retired LtCdr should have been enough to let him drive on base. From the tone of his letter you could tell he thought the guard and the Navy were out to get him. When I read his letter I could hardly keep from laughing or shaking my head thinking this retired LtCdr was making such a big deal out of it.
He has a E-3 guarding his parking space no doubt..............

Salty Old Dog
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM

*runs*

I gotcha one better. How are we now supposed to keep the females, who are removed from the ship because of their pregnancy, gainfully employed?? That's all I ever saw, at most Navy security offices, handing out decals. :rolleyes:

CrustySMSgt
06-17-2013, 10:39 AM
American Police Officer Converts to Islam youtube

spammer reported to ForumAdmin

Pullinteeth
06-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Dan

Nope...they get a sticker (base specific not-DoD) or a thingie to hang in their mirror...

Ever heard of DBIDS? The sticker never prevented anyone from getting on base... EVER.

Navy Mustang
07-16-2013, 07:23 PM

*runs*

During my earlier years as an MA, I recall a retired captain's wife who would rip the sentry a new one if he didn't salute her. Well we had one smart alec on our shift that didn't want to play her game. He made her get out of the car and step away from it, then he saluted the decal and told her she should return to her car and proceed. We were laughing until her hubby called the Skipper!

Navy Mustang
07-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Not to mention costly. 99 percent of the time it comes out of the SECO's budget, which is never enough to fund all the AT/FP requirements anyway. So every bit helps!