PDA

View Full Version : Furlough

Sperry1989
05-29-2013, 06:44 PM
I just received and signed my official furlough notice this morning. Effective 8 Jul 2013, I (and most DoD civilian employees) will be furloughed two days per pay period or one day per week until the last pay period in FY13. I think it works out to be a total of 11 days of pay. Also, since the furlough extends beyond a total of 80hrs, we will lose one pay period's worth of annual and sick leave. I hope everyone comes out of this ok. Some of us are struggling as it is. My heart goes out to the younger employees who have families and are just starting out in life.

VFFTSGT
05-29-2013, 06:49 PM
U.S. Park Police furloughs to end June 1

Furloughs for the U.S. Park Police forced by the budget cuts known as sequestration will end June 1, the National Park Service announced Friday, because the agency was able to find other savings.

Jarvis said his budget experts “took a really deep dive into the line budget” of the police force, “scrubbing every dollar.”

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-24/politics/39500395_1_budget-cuts-furloughs-police-union

The Air Force is too busy letting units spend $1,000 every quarter on award plaques to do something like this that really shows concern for the employees versus some made up plaque that means nothing.

Bunch
05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Sad thing.

We have one civilian that works with us here and she received her notice also. Hopefully not a lot of people get hurt by this.

Sperry1989
05-29-2013, 06:56 PM
I also feel for the active duty folks that are stuck pulling extra duties because of the furlough.

SomeRandomGuy
05-29-2013, 06:56 PM
I just received and signed my official furlough notice this morning. Effective 8 Jul 2013, I (and most DoD civilian employees) will be furloughed two days per pay period or one day per week until the last pay period in FY13. I think it works out to be a total of 11 days of pay. Also, since the furlough extends beyond a total of 80hrs, we will lose one pay period's worth of annual and sick leave. I hope everyone comes out of this ok. Some of us are struggling as it is. My heart goes out to the younger employees who have families and are just starting out in life.

Thought this article was interesting regarding furloughed employees collecting unemployment (which kind of defeats the purpose). The article is mostly talking about a specific state (Pennsylvania) but it does mention the possibility of collecting unemployment benefits. For most people this will not be a reality because of either the state they work in or their organization's policy against lumping the furlough days together.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/29/news/economy/furlough-unemployment-benefits/index.html?source=cnn_bin

Sergeant eNYgma
05-29-2013, 07:00 PM

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-24/politics/39500395_1_budget-cuts-furloughs-police-union

The Air Force is too busy letting units spend $1,000 every quarter on award plaques to do something like this that really shows concern for the employees versus some made up plaque that means nothing.

Was thinking the same thing we give them out for Airman of the year, quarter, century, hour, etc

MACHINE666
05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
I sign my furlough letter tomorrow. When I write my rebuttal, I will attach the following news articles as to why I should not be part of this budget cut:

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-gives-egypt-s-muslim-brotherhood-1-5-billion-without-congress-approval

Obama giving money to the Egyptian Brotherhood, bypassing Congress

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/06/15/pentagon-were-sticking-with-russian-helicopters-for-afghan-air-force

Pentagon buys Afghan Army Russian-made helicopters

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/u-s-to-provide-100-million-in-aid-to-syria-rebels-1.516539

Congress sends $100 million in aid to Syrian rebels

So, I am going to fight fire with fire and tell Congress and the DoD to shove it....it's not us little people's fault for their mismanagement and f*ck ups.

RobotChicken
05-29-2013, 07:25 PM
:spy:yourock::banana::bsflag: You the MAN 'MACHINE666'!! Tell it like it is...is!!:fart:

CYBERFX1024
05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
I got my furlough letter 2 weeks ago from the US Geological Survey. Basically we are looking at 10 days right now maybe more. I am glad I got the GI Bill money coming in right now.

Rainmaker
05-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Not to worry Chitlins. Our Lord and Savior and Commander in Chief AND Robert F. Dorr Boff said this ain't gonna happen. Rainmaker still Blee Dat.

Chief_KO
05-29-2013, 09:21 PM
I sign my furlough letter tomorrow. When I write my rebuttal, I will attach the following news articles as to why I should not be part of this budget cut:
So, I am going to fight fire with fire and tell Congress and the DoD to shove it....it's not us little people's fault for their mismanagement and f*ck ups.

Be careful 666, you don't want the IRS auditing you or the AG subpoenaing your phone records...

RobotChicken
05-29-2013, 09:27 PM
:rocketwhore: They had better double the 'armed guards' around ALL COFFEE POTS then!! :lock1:banana::fart:

Rusty Jones
05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
I signed my furlough letter this morning. Luckily, it won't affect me much. I have a second job as a taxi driver. The cool thing is about the company I drive for is that there are weekly leases, twelve-hour leases, and six-hour leases; and as long as I reserve a cab or there's an unreserved cab sitting on the lot, I can work WHENEVER I damned well please. So on my furlough days; I just grab a taxi and get to work. Depending on the time of the year, and the time of the month; I usually clear between $150-$250 per twelve hour shift. So this is what I'll be doing on my furlough days.

So while my co-workers are praying, I'll still be working and bringing home roughly the same amount of money!

grimreaper
05-30-2013, 01:09 AM

We are led to believe that we can't afford to pay the civilians we currently have, but yet the gov't is trying to hire thousands more?

Makes perfect sense.

Sequester is fed speak for Now Hiring; government posts 27,000 high-paying job openings

The budget cuts known as sequestration were supposed to wreak havoc, forcing the shrinking of critical workforces including airport security officers and food inspectors.

But since sequestration kicked in March 4, the government has posted openings for 4,300 federal job titles to hire some 10,300 people.

The median position has a salary topping out at $76,000, and one-fourth of positions pay $113,000 or more, according to an analysis by The Washington Times of federal job listings.

Altogether, the jobs will pay up to $792 million per year. Including job postings that have been open since before sequestration, the government is in the market for 27,000 employees who will make up to $1.8 billion a year.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/27/in-time-of-sequesters-federal-government-posts-270/

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 01:14 AM
Remember OBAMA is the one who furloughed you. He is the one who went with the "fiscal cliff" idea. This is it.

As for the people being furloughed in the NCR, I feel no sorrow. I can't believe the cars and expensive clothes these people wear. Yea, I might sound like an a-hole but I don't care. It went from 22 days to 11, is it going to hurt, absolutely, but those furloughed had plenty of time to prep. I know many people in the civilian world would LOVE one of these cushier government jobs and would not mind the 22 days of furloughed! It is hard out there and it is only getting worse.

Obama? I was not aware he had a vote in the senate.

RingLeader
05-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Remember OBAMA is the one who furloughed you. He is the one who went with the "fiscal cliff" idea. This is it.

As for the people being furloughed in the NCR, I feel no sorrow. I can't believe the cars and expensive clothes these people wear. Yea, I might sound like an a-hole but I don't care. It went from 22 days to 11, is it going to hurt, absolutely, but those furloughed had plenty of time to prep. I know many people in the civilian world would LOVE one of these cushier government jobs and would not mind the 22 days of furloughed! It is hard out there and it is only getting worse.

tiredretiredE7
05-30-2013, 01:18 AM

Are you still stuck on the facts of Obama came up with the sequester? or that Obama signed the sequester into law?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you still stuck on the facts of Obama came up with the sequester? or that Obama signed the sequester into law?

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 01:22 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Should he have vetoed it? The sequestor was part of the debt ceiling being raised. If Obama did not sign it he would have been blamed for the military (among other things) not being paid. He was basically forced to sign it. I have voted republican all my life and even voted against Obama last election but the facts are still the facts.

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 01:23 AM

Just for fun: http://factcheck.org/2013/02/the-obamaquester/

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 01:23 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Should he have vetoed it? The sequestor was part of the debt ceiling being raised. If Obama did not sign it he would have been blamed for the military (among other things) not being paid. He was basically forced to sign it. I have voted republican all my life and even voted against Obama last election but the facts are still the facts.

RingLeader
05-30-2013, 01:32 AM

Oh that's right because it is on the Internet it is TRUE!!! Please Factcheck? Really? A liberal university is going to be fair?

BO is the top dog, he is responsible for it as much as the Benghazi, IRS, and attacking journalist… It gets worse every day. His 2nd term is dead. BO might get out of any of the blame but a TRUE Leader knows it is his fault and falls on his sword.

Didn’t he say the buck stops at him? Right!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have voted republican all my life and even voted against Obama last election but the facts are still the facts.

You are a liar... If he had balls, and been involved in the process of anything this shit wouldn't happen, Ben, IRS, spying on reporters... In the end, he is going to surpass Carter as the worse POTUS EVER!!!

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Obama and the Senate could have passed a budget the previous three years which would have avoided the sequester all together.

Ok. So if they passed a budget what would have been cut? The sequester was a $10B cut over 10 years with half from discretionary (democrats bread and butter) and half from defense (republicans cash cow). Who would have compromised in order to pass a budget? It ended up like a fight between an 8 year old and a 10 year old over a stuffed animal. Mom and dad got tired of it and cut the toy in half. Sadly both sides seem ok with just picking up the pieces of cotton and blaming the other while the rest of us are hemorrhaging stuffed cotton.

- - - Updated - - -

Obama and the Senate could have passed a budget the previous three years which would have avoided the sequester all together.

Ok. So if they passed a budget what would have been cut? The sequester was a $10B cut over 10 years with half from discretionary (democrats bread and butter) and half from defense (republicans cash cow). Who would have compromised in order to pass a budget? It ended up like a fight between an 8 year old and a 10 year old over a stuffed animal. Mom and dad got tired of it and cut the toy in half. Sadly both sides seem ok with just picking up the pieces of cotton and blaming the other while the rest of us are hemorrhaging stuffed cotton.

grimreaper
05-30-2013, 01:37 AM

Nice article. Politicians blaming the President for something they voted for. Hmmm....sounds eerily similar to a certain bunch of politicians of the Democrat persuasion who voted for the Iraq war but yet blame Bush at every opportunity...but I guess that's different.

tiredretiredE7
05-30-2013, 01:37 AM

grimreaper
05-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Since we are talking about the Republicans blaming Obama, it looks like some refresher training is in order since it was, in fact, Obama that blamed the Congress to begin with.

“The sequester is not something that I've proposed. It is something that Congress has proposed.”

— President Obama, in the third presidential debate, Oct. 22, 2012

Four Pinocchios from that very Conservative paper known as the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/obamas-fanciful-claim-that-congress-proposed-the-sequester/2012/10/25/8651dc6a-1eed-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_blog.html

tiredretiredE7
05-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Oh that's right because it is on the Internet it is TRUE!!! Please Factcheck? Really? A liberal university is going to be fair?

BO is the top dog, he is responsible for it as much as the Benghazi, IRS, and attacking journalist… It gets worse every day. His 2nd term is dead. BO might get out of any of the blame but a TRUE Leader knows it is his fault and falls on his sword.

Didn’t he say the buck stops at him? Right!!!

Obama said he wanted to diminish American influence in the world. RFD got very POed at me when I said Obama has surrounded himself with idiots in his administration. So lets name some names; Hillary Clinton (idiot) did more damage in the State department then all other pervious people in the seat, Charlene Lamb (idiot), Eric Holder DOJ (idiot), Secretary Chu DOE (idiot, $8 gallon/gas),anybody else have some names of idiots in this administration?

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 01:52 AM
You are a liar... If he had balls, and been involved in the process of anything this shit wouldn't happen, Ben, IRS, spying on reporters... In the end, he is going to surpass Carter as the worse POTUS EVER!!!

Last election I voted Libertarian. I should have clarified that. I have been a republican all my life but last election I had to vote Libertarian because that was the only party with any sort of common sense. With that being said I doubt Obama goes down as the worse (shouldn't it be worst?) President since Carter. Admittedly, Obama has done almost nothing except Obamacare but he has not had much to work with in congress either.

RingLeader
05-30-2013, 01:57 AM
he has not had much to work with in congress either.

he has not had much to work with in congress either.

American's LOVE the middle of the road. If you go too far right or left, your Presidency is going to go nowhere. Clinton learned this quickly he was pretty right but wanted to accomplish things, when he went to the middle more people were on his side… Growing pains… When you think you are still in Chicago and not willing to work with anyone or continue to be cocky and NOT listening to the people you get where we are today. All sides need to compromise, it is simple as that! Plus kick some out of the Senate and Congress for “shady dealings”…

RingLeader
05-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Obama said he wanted to diminish American influence in the world. RFD got very POed at me when I said Obama has surrounded himself with idiots in his administration. So lets name some names; Hillary Clinton (idiot) did more damage in the State department then all other pervious people in the seat, Charlene Lamb (idiot), Eric Holder DOJ (idiot), Secretary Chu DOE (idiot, $8 gallon/gas),anybody else have some names of idiots in this administration?

Right on target!!!

VFFTSGT
05-30-2013, 01:58 AM

When the idea of sequestration was first proposed and included in the Budget Control Act of 2011 to encourage Congress to reduce the federal deficit by $1.2 trillion by the end of 2012, the White House and Republican lawmakers alike praised the mechanism.

Even though Republicans and Democrats blamed each other and tried to distance themselves from the sequestration cuts in 2013, leaders of both parties initially praised the idea of mandatory spending cuts when they were initially proposed and signed into law.

The Obama White House, for example, described the bipartisan debt deal that included sequestration as "a win for the economy and budget discipline." The Obama administration described sequestration specifically as a "strong enforcement mechanism to make all sides come together."

link comin

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Oh that's right because it is on the Internet it is TRUE!!! Please Factcheck? Really?

Which part of the article is factually incorrect? If you want I can find a link to all the sentors who voted for sequestor. I never denied it was Obama's idea but how can any senator vote for a law written in the senate then criticize the president who signs it? That just isn't logical.

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 02:07 AM
American's LOVE the middle of the road. If you go too far right or left, your Presidency is going to go nowhere. Clinton learned this quickly he was pretty right but wanted to accomplish things, when he went to the middle more people were on his side… Growing pains… When you think you are still in Chicago and not willing to work with anyone or continue to be cocky and NOT listening to the people you get where we are today. All sides need to compromise, it is simple as that! Plus kick some out of the Senate and Congress for “shady dealings”…

I agree with you here. The problem is how do I vote for someone because I support his beliefs when I know he will end up voting in congress however his party whip tells him to? I emaled my state rep here in ohio a few weeks ago about banning traffic cameras. He emailed me back and would not even pick a side. Now I am voting against him. I didn't elect him to listen to lobbyists I elected him to listen to the people of his district who overwhelmingly want to get rid of red light cameras (whole different issue).

VFFTSGT
05-30-2013, 02:08 AM

When the idea of sequestration was first proposed and included in the Budget Control Act of 2011 to encourage Congress to reduce the federal deficit by $1.2 trillion by the end of 2012, the White House and Republican lawmakers alike praised the mechanism.

Even though Republicans and Democrats blamed each other and tried to distance themselves from the sequestration cuts in 2013, leaders of both parties initially praised the idea of mandatory spending cuts when they were initially proposed and signed into law.

The Obama White House, for example, described the bipartisan debt deal that included sequestration as "a win for the economy and budget discipline." The Obama administration described sequestration specifically as a "strong enforcement mechanism to make all sides come together."
http://uspolitics.about.com/od/thefederalbudget/a/Whose-Idea-Was-Sequestration.htm

Bipartisan Debt Deal: A Win for the Economy and Budget Discipline
http://www.whitehouse.gov/fact-sheet-victory-bipartisan-compromise-economy-american-people

RS6405
05-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Last election I voted Libertarian. I should have clarified that. I have been a republican all my life but last election I had to vote Libertarian because that was the only party with any sort of common sense. With that being said I doubt Obama goes down as the worse (shouldn't it be worst?) President since Carter. Admittedly, Obama has done almost nothing except Obamacare but he has not had much to work with in congress either.

That is not a bragging point.

BRUWIN
05-30-2013, 02:25 AM
I got my notice as well but I already have a few things lined up to help kill the time while making some money. I'm kinda looking forward to it. However, those without a military retirement to fall back on don't deserve this.

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Stupid CDC is now going to be closed every Friday.....

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Stupid CDC is now going to be closed every Friday.....

Are you serious? That is freaking ridiculous. Is it not possible for them to stagger the furlough days like every other organization?

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Dead serious....WTF am I supposed to do every Friday? Bring your kid to work day?

Maybe your kid can do some of the work that the furloughed civilians in your office would have done. Who knows? They may actually get more work accomplished.

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Are you serious? That is freaking ridiculous. Is it not possible for them to stagger the furlough days like every other organization?

Dead serious....WTF am I supposed to do every Friday? Bring your kid to work day?

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Maybe your kid can do some of the work that the furloughed civilians in your office would have done. Who knows? They may actually get more work accomplished.

Rainmaker
05-30-2013, 02:49 PM
I got my notice as well but I already have a few things lined up to help kill the time while making some money. I'm kinda looking forward to it. However, those without a military retirement to fall back on don't deserve this.

Das Raciss.

71Fish
05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Does anyone remember during the debates BHO said furloughs and sequestration "isn't going to happen"?

sandsjames
05-30-2013, 02:55 PM
I got my notice as well but I already have a few things lined up to help kill the time while making some money.

Like fishing/golfing on a Chief's retirement? Sounds perfect for a furlough.

CrustySMSgt
05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
I know it is :offtopic:, but interesting... just got an email in my home station email letting everyone know the chow hall, due to budget cuts, will no longer provide to go materials (containers, plasticwear...). And of course it isn't sanitary for AIrmen to bring their own tupperwear in, so they won't let them take that to the line to get served in. The "compromise" is they have to go through the line and get served on plates and then take their meal to the dining area to transload it to their own containers.

I signed my furlough letter this morning. Luckily, it won't affect me much. I have a second job as a taxi driver. The cool thing is about the company I drive for is that there are weekly leases, twelve-hour leases, and six-hour leases; and as long as I reserve a cab or there's an unreserved cab sitting on the lot, I can work WHENEVER I damned well please. So on my furlough days; I just grab a taxi and get to work. Depending on the time of the year, and the time of the month; I usually clear between $150-$250 per twelve hour shift. So this is what I'll be doing on my furlough days.

So while my co-workers are praying, I'll still be working and bringing home roughly the same amount of money!

Interesting! I like to drive, maybe when I retire I'll check out our local companies to see what the scoop is. Since I have zero plans to start a second career, this'd be a great way to kill time when I get bored!

BOSS302
05-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I know it is :offtopic:, but interesting... just got an email in my home station email letting everyone know the chow hall, due to budget cuts, will no longer provide to go materials (containers, plasticwear...). And of course it isn't sanitary for AIrmen to bring their own tupperwear in, so they won't let them take that to the line to get served in. The "compromise" is they have to go through the line and get served on plates and then take their meal to the dining area to transload it to their own containers.

Due to "budget cuts", we recently had to furlough thirty-eight of our squadron vehicles as part of a installation-wide "Vehicle Parking Plan". However, while walking to work one morning this week, I witnessed two vehicle transport trucks bringing brand new Chevrolet Malibus (or whatever they are, all of GMs vehicles look the same these days) on base.

I really do wonder, when the wing here has cut-off hot water to non-essential and non-residential facilities, has furloughed 1/3 of the wing vehicle fleet, and is limiting the use of "comfort cooling" (air conditioning) this summer....who decided that six brand new Chevy passenger cars were that essential? It is understood that these vehicles were probably purchased months ago before this budget debacle, but perhaps there would not be a budget debacle if there weren't 2013 Chevy Malibus being purchased in order to replace the ones bought in 2011? :target

Rusty Jones
05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Interesting! I like to drive, maybe when I retire I'll check out our local companies to see what the scoop is. Since I have zero plans to start a second career, this'd be a great way to kill time when I get bored!

Make sure you drive in the city in your area that has that has the most complete infrastructure (I drive in Norfolk, which is better than Virginia Beach, because Norfolk has a more complete infrastructure); or whichever is the largest. Infrastructure is more important than size, because there are more places for people to go to and from.

Whichever the largest cab company is in your city is, will be the best. They're the ones that people call; so you'll get most of your fares through dispatch. Smaller companies have to rely on flaggers and sitting around at bars and airports. Smaller companies tend to only do weekly leases as well.

Most of the people who lease cabs from the same company I do are military retirees. It's a cake job where you come and go as you please, you've got less stress and responsibility than a fry cook at McDonald's, and the money is great!

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Due to "budget cuts", we recently had to furlough thirty-eight of our squadron vehicles as part of a installation-wide "Vehicle Parking Plan". However, while walking to work one morning this week, I witnessed two vehicle transport trucks bringing brand new Chevrolet Malibus (or whatever they are, all of GMs vehicles look the same these days) on base.

I really do wonder, when the wing here has cut-off hot water to non-essential and non-residential facilities, has furloughed 1/3 of the wing vehicle fleet, and is limiting the use of "comfort cooling" (air conditioning) this summer....who decided that six brand new Chevy passenger cars were that essential? It is understood that these vehicles were probably purchased months ago before this budget debacle, but perhaps there would not be a budget debacle if there weren't 2013 Chevy Malibus being purchased in order to replace the ones bought in 2011? :target

As a general rule, the vehicles are not purchased, they are under a long term lease through GSA and when they hit a certian milage threshold, GSA cycles them out automatically. It is possible to reduce your fleet size but it isn't something you can do overnight....

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Make sure you drive in the city in your area that has that has the most complete infrastructure (I drive in Norfolk, which is better than Virginia Beach, because Norfolk has a more complete infrastructure); or whichever is the largest. Infrastructure is more important than size, because there are more places for people to go to and from.

Whichever the largest cab company is in your city is, will be the best. They're the ones that people call; so you'll get most of your fares through dispatch. Smaller companies have to rely on flaggers and sitting around at bars and airports. Smaller companies tend to only do weekly leases as well.

Most of the people who lease cabs from the same company I do are military retirees. It's a cake job where you come and go as you please, you've got less stress and responsibility than a fry cook at McDonald's, and the money is great!

Some places have weird laws on cabs. I am sure the company probably provides that information when you lease the vehicle though. I was in Vegas a few months ago and learned that cab drivers cannot pick up people who flag them down on the roads. They are only allowed to pick people up at authorized locations which are mostly hotel or business entrances. It actually makes a lot of sense anyways though because it keeps the flow of traffic going if you do not have randoms cabs stopping to get people.

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 03:38 PM

The problem is not so much the amount of money avaliable it is the flexibility to move the money around. In the finance world it is referred to as the "color of money" (don't even get me started on that phrase). The problem that every base has is that they are being forced to cut O&M (operations and maintenance) funds. O&M is the largest pot of money most bases get. Basically it would be like if you were retired and now working as a civilian. Since you get two seperate paychecks you use the civilian paycheck for your bills and the retirement check you waste on frivelous shit just because you can. Suddenly, they decide to furlough you and you are taking a 20% cut from your bills check. Any logical person would borrow money from the "fun money" but that is not the way the government works. Instead if the government were this person they would skip a mortgage payment but on the same weekend blow $1000 at the strip club.

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 03:41 PM

Some places have weird laws on cabs. I am sure the company probably provides that information when you lease the vehicle though. I was in Vegas a few months ago and learned that cab drivers cannot pick up people who flag them down on the roads. They are only allowed to pick people up at authorized locations which are mostly hotel or business entrances. It actually makes a lot of sense anyways though because it keeps the flow of traffic going if you do not have randoms cabs stopping to get people.

VFFTSGT
05-30-2013, 04:00 PM
As a general rule, the vehicles are not purchased, they are under a long term lease through GSA and when they hit a certian milage threshold, GSA cycles them out automatically. It is possible to reduce your fleet size but it isn't something you can do overnight....

Long term? not hardly

The mileage threshold? very low from what I've always seen

And I do believe there are actual GOV's still aren't there? Or they all been replaced by GSA?

But the point was right...replacing 2011 vehicles with 2013 vehicles is the type of frivolous spending that has helped create this mess. And it's not just AF, it's all government agencies.

The other day they try to "tech refresh" the computers in my office...with new computers that had the same exact technical specifications as the ones that had already been there for a couple years.

Rainmaker
05-30-2013, 04:11 PM
The problem is not so much the amount of money avaliable it is the flexibility to move the money around. In the finance world it is referred to as the "color of money" (don't even get me started on that phrase). The problem that every base has is that they are being forced to cut O&M (operations and maintenance) funds. O&M is the largest pot of money most bases get. Basically it would be like if you were retired and now working as a civilian. Since you get two seperate paychecks you use the civilian paycheck for your bills and the retirement check you waste on frivelous shit just because you can. Suddenly, they decide to furlough you and you are taking a 20% cut from your bills check. Any logical person would borrow money from the "fun money" but that is not the way the government works. Instead if the government were this person they would skip a mortgage payment but on the same weekend blow $1000 at the strip club.

so, what you're telling us is that the government operates pretty much the same way as most of it's citizens?

Rainmaker
05-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Dis exactly what Rainmaker been tryin to tell his Baby Mommas for years

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 04:22 PM
The other day they try to "tech refresh" the computers in my office...with new computers that had the same exact technical specifications as the ones that had already been there for a couple years.

The same thing happened in my office a few months back. We were scheduled to recieve new computers. From what I was told the specifications are very similar. The reason we replaced the old computers was because they went out of warranty. My thoughts on this are why did we negotiate such a short warranty and also wouldn't it be cheaper to simply use our own computers people to make replacements as opposed to buying a warranty?

Also one other thing to note. I was joking with the computer guys about what happened to the old perfectly serviceable computer. They said they are required to destroy the hard drive but the rest of the computer goes to salvage. Why couldn't the computer have been re-used somewhere else in DoD or even donated to an inner city school?

Pullinteeth
05-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Also one other thing to note. I was joking with the computer guys about what happened to the old perfectly serviceable computer. They said they are required to destroy the hard drive but the rest of the computer goes to salvage. Why couldn't the computer have been re-used somewhere else in DoD or even donated to an inner city school?

Believe it or not...they sell 'em....you can buy CRATES of used laptops...

http://www.govliquidation.com/

VFFTSGT
05-30-2013, 06:19 PM
The same thing happened in my office a few months back. We were scheduled to recieve new computers. From what I was told the specifications are very similar. The reason we replaced the old computers was because they went out of warranty. My thoughts on this are why did we negotiate such a short warranty and also wouldn't it be cheaper to simply use our own computers people to make replacements as opposed to buying a warranty?

Yeah, the whole warranty thing is essentially a scam....just like buying extended warranties at sears or walmart for a drill or something. If the item is going to break from defect it's typically going to happen within the standard warranty period.

But, if we are spending so much money on keeping only computers that are warranty...then why don't we get rid of the entire 3D1X1 career field? Also, why don't spend the same kind of money on keeping on jets that are under warranty? Maybe then we wouldn't have 2 types multi-billion dollar fancy paper weights? (known as the F-22 and F-35)

Believe it or not...they sell 'em....you can buy CRATES of used laptops...

http://www.govliquidation.com/

IME, typically the hard drives are gone and someone raped the memory.

Then on top of that, have you seen how DRMO personnel treat equipment turned in there?

One, computers should stay in service longer.

Two, there is nothing important on NIPR hard drives. Run the wipe program and donate them to schools or other people in need. It would be a better use than where they go now.

Salty Old Dog
06-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Don't feel bad, Sperry. I was on leave when they came out with the letters here (on the 30th, even though they were dated the 28th). Got a call from my flight chief, very informally telling me that they had received the letters that day.

When I got back to work this week, I waited 2 days to get a copy of the letter, and finally had to ask for it. In the block where the employee is supposed to sign for receipt, it says, "Employee was on leave, notified by phone".

So the command here figured that a THREE PAGE letter, outlining the action and our choices for replying to it, didn't need to be shared with me, because I got a 1 minute phone call, telling me ONLY that they had received the letters?? Yeah, I'm sure that would hold up in court, if I were to challenge it! :rolleyes:

Sperry1989
06-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Don't feel bad, Sperry. I was on leave when they came out with the letters here (on the 30th, even though they were dated the 28th). Got a call from my flight chief, very informally telling me that they had received the letters that day.

When I got back to work this week, I waited 2 days to get a copy of the letter, and finally had to ask for it. In the block where the employee is supposed to sign for receipt, it says, "Employee was on leave, notified by phone".

So the command here figured that a THREE PAGE letter, outlining the action and our choices for replying to it, didn't need to be shared with me, because I got a 1 minute phone call, telling me ONLY that they had received the letters?? Yeah, I'm sure that would hold up in court, if I were to challenge it! :rolleyes:

Not only are we facing a furlough at Maxwell, but RIF notices are supposed to go out on 24 Jun 13 with final action on 24 Aug 13. Things are about to get stressful for us young civilian employees at RIF locations.

LFAWes
06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Not only are we facing a furlough at Maxwell, but RIF notices are supposed to go out on 24 Jun 13 with final action on 24 Aug 13. Things are about to get stressful for us young civilian employees at RIF locations.

Did they happen to offer VERA/VSIP for the older employees? I understand they need to cut back on people. But they need to atleast offer VERA for the guys a few years short of retirement. And cant leave because of the FERS penalty.

raustin0017
06-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Prayers go out to all those who volunteered to serve and are facing a tough road.

Measure Man
06-14-2013, 02:11 PM

That was great.

Sperry1989
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Did they happen to offer VERA/VSIP for the older employees? I understand they need to cut back on people. But they need to atleast offer VERA for the guys a few years short of retirement. And cant leave because of the FERS penalty.

LFAWes,

Yes VERA/VSIP has been offered; however, no one that I know that applied for it has been approved.

Salty Old Dog
06-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Seeing as I bought my Navy time into my Civil Service retirement, and just went over 30 years last November, I would LOVE it if they did......but I haven't seen or heard any such offer here. I continue to tell them to "make me an offer I can't refuse", but they're not buying it.

Meanwhile, I have 5 years until my minimum retirement age, which I believe I might actually take advantage of, if they don't offer an out sooner. With my Navy background, I can easily find a job in a career field that pays well (better than this, with less BS), work it for 10-12 years, continue socking money away in my TSP (and likely some IRA or Roth IRA action too), THEN take a real retirement, and enjoy life. The way Social Security is going, I don't figure it will be worth much more than beer money, by the time I get it.

Vrake
06-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I like the way NAS Oceana mod line is getting around it. Furloughs on Fridays the turn around and offer as much overtime as their people want on Satudays and Sundays.

No matter the color of the money if we keep spending it like drunken Squids at their first port call we will be broke almost as fast as them.

LFAWes
06-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Yes VERA/VSIP has been offered; however, no one that I know that applied for it has been approved.

That makes perfect Federal Goverment sense. Dont approve VERA/VSIP. But RIF people who dont want to leave.