PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Bob was right....

VFFTSGT
05-29-2013, 06:54 AM
In all my years, I have been taught TWO SPACES after a sentence. Robert F. Dorr has railed on us for improper sentence spacing and I dished it right back...lol

In reviewing MLA, 2009 requirements for a college paper, I found that Bob was right...

Leave only one space after periods or other punctuation marks (unless otherwise instructed by your instructor).
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

I have a life time of hitting the space key twice after a sentence. How will i ever adapt?! :omfg:

More importantly, how was Bob right? :wink-new:

loggie94
05-29-2013, 06:59 AM
I don't care if it's written in black and white. I was taught two spaces, so that must be right.

Must not back down...

Monkey
05-29-2013, 07:07 AM
In all my years, I have been taught TWO SPACES after a sentence. Bob has railed on us for improper sentence spacing and I dished it right back...lol

In reviewing MLA, 2009 requirements for a college paper, I found that Bob was right...

I have a life time of hitting the space key twice after a sentence. How will i ever adapt?! :omfg:

Don't do it. Change is stupid.

RobotChicken
05-29-2013, 07:11 AM
:buttkick: 'RFD' was your age once; and you have not been his, respect your elders or else....:wizard:

CJSmith
05-29-2013, 07:24 AM
I too thought it was two spaces until I was docked a handful of points on a paper I submitted. It's been one space ever since then.

TREYSLEDGE
05-29-2013, 07:55 AM
On my master's thesis last year I used two spaces as directed by the school's writing style guide. I think some schools follow different guidlines. Just know what the guidlines are for your program. Dorr may be correct on single spacing for journalistic products, but that is not a universal rule.

VFFTSGT
05-29-2013, 07:55 AM
I too thought it was two spaces until I was docked a handful of points on a paper I submitted. It's been one space ever since then.

It's funny because I had a 99 in my ENG 101 class a few years ago. I used 2 spaces then...not sure if MLA changed or what, but it will be a struggle. lol

VFFTSGT
05-29-2013, 08:12 AM
On my master's thesis last year I used two spaces as directed by the school's writing style guide. I think some schools follow different guidlines. Just know what the guidlines are for your program. Dorr may be correct on single spacing for journalistic products, but that is not a universal rule.

Interesting. You joined the forum in 2007 and have since made 32 posts (well, minus the ones deleted by the upgrade a couple years ago, but still a low post count...

And this post catches your interests...nothing wrong with it, just curious. lol

TREYSLEDGE
05-29-2013, 08:21 AM
I joined in 2007 when I was a staff weenie and had time during the day to scan the forum and post. Then I was back at a squadron. Last year I moved back to a staff weenie position with free time to post. Most of my 32 posts have been made in the last 6 months.

Also, I don't normally get involved in the political and religous posts. I scan the forum and laugh and shake my head sometimes. Every once in a while I get the urge to respond. Mostly, this place helps me kill the time in this boring job. I've got over a year left here and have been actively looking forward next summer and the posibilities.

imported_Sgt HULK
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Really? I've never put 2 spaces after a period i thought it was only an air force thing.

RobotChicken
05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
I joined in 2007 when I was a staff weenie and had time during the day to scan the forum and post. Then I was back at a squadron. Last year I moved back to a staff weenie position with free time to post. Most of my 32 posts have been made in the last 6 months.

Also, I don't normally get involved in the political and religous posts. I scan the forum and laugh and shake my head sometimes. Every once in a while I get the urge to respond. Mostly, this place helps me kill the time in this boring job. I've got over a year left here and have been actively looking forward next summer and the posibilities.
:rambo: We don't either....just the :umbrella::lame::fest30: post....:brick

Greg
05-29-2013, 12:18 PM

Agreed, Bob Dorr is not grading my assignments.

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2013, 12:22 PM
I think some schools follow different guidlines. Just know what the guidlines are for your program.

That sums it up... all the classes I took used APA, which directs 2 spaces; then the LAST class had to go & be different and require MLA, requiring 1.

See, the AF (DoD) doesn't corner the market on rediculous made up nonsense for the sake of making someone feel important or getting promoted. WTF is the point of having APA & MLA (and don't forget: AAA ASA CSE Chicago & Turabian)?!? they are generally the same, with minor nuances such as the number of stupid spaces. :irked:

sandsjames
05-29-2013, 03:12 PM
In all my years, I have been taught TWO SPACES after a sentence. Robert F. Dorr has railed on us for improper sentence spacing and I dished it right back...lol

It all depends what you're writing. Generally, academia requires a single space, as does most journalism. However, there is no hard rule. It's actually still a preference of whoever is "in charge" of what's being written. For general banter (like forums) two spaces is perfectly fine and not at all incorrect.

imported_chipotleboy
05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
When I took typing class in high school (early 80s), I was taught two spaces. That was because typewriters had fixed font space. Now that word processors and laser printers can do proportional space fonts, only one space is needed.

However, two spaces is stuck in my muscle memory, and I'm not retraining myself to do one space. And don't get me started on "em dashes" and "en dashes".

Robert F. Dorr
05-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Two spaces was the standard for manuscripts prepared on a typewriter. One space has always been the standard for word processing on a computer.

link removed

The conglomerate that owns these forums and publishes many newspapers and magazines, like everyone else, uses one space.

sandsjames
05-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Two spaces was the standard for manuscripts prepared on a typewriter. One space has always been the standard for word processing on a computer.

link removed

The conglomerate that owns these forums and publishes many newspapers and magazines, like everyone else, uses one space.

Indeed...one space for media/journalism documents. However, two spaces is NOT incorrect. It has become the editor's preference. Nobody has been able to show anything that says two spaces is incorrect.

Bumble78
05-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I use three spaces. Then I adjust the font size of the spaces so that it is a little larger than it should be.

Measure Man
05-29-2013, 05:00 PM
However, two spaces is NOT incorrect.

Neither are double negatives.

sandsjames
05-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Neither are double negatives.

Double negatives are also NOT incorrect, as long as they are used in a situation which doesn't not call for them.

Chief_KO
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM
As a Chief I mandated 1 space before a period and 3 spaces after a period.:wink1:

ChiefB
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
As a Chief I mandated 1 space before a period and 3 spaces after a period.:wink1:
I always recommended Midol!

USMC0341
05-29-2013, 10:22 PM

How are you doing these days Chief?

Mr. Happy
05-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I like my two spaces.__Will the world implode because of this?

RobotChicken
05-29-2013, 11:24 PM
:rocketwhore: Maybe a 'certain writers' will!! :thoughtbubble:

ChiefB
05-30-2013, 12:36 AM
How are you doing these days Chief?

Pretty well, actually. Getting back to almost normal. Sleep well, work most all the day and am enjoying the great spring/summer weather.

Getting back on the forums gives me great pleasure. I've been reading them all along and bit by bit.. I'll be back.

My kids got a kick out of communication with all you while I was down for the count. They talk about you all by using screen names which is sometimes hilarious. They were impressed by you all... I wasn't surprised.

JD2780
05-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Welcome back ChiefB. Nice to see your sanity and reason around here while many of us run around like crazy people.

DocBones
05-30-2013, 01:09 AM
ChiefB! Boy howdy, it is GREAT to see that you are feeling up to coming back online, to this place of craziness!

Man, I have been missing you!

eman_osan
05-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Welcome Back Chief B!!!!

ChiefB
05-30-2013, 01:23 AM
In all my years, I have been taught TWO SPACES after a sentence. @Robert F. Dorr (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=75067) has railed on us for improper sentence spacing and I dished it right back...lol

Well, being that the "Dorr" is a prolific author and columnist and older than dirt... he better be right. I'm still takin' two spaces though.:evil

RobotChicken
05-30-2013, 01:39 AM
:spy Right 'Chief B', been typing since the '60's....hard to 'retrain' muscle memory! :drive:

imported_AFKILO7
05-30-2013, 03:21 AM
I've been working towards my Psychology degree for a couple of years and I have had to use APA, APA says two spaces.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/24/

imported_AFKILO7
05-30-2013, 03:21 AM
I've been working towards my psychology degree for the last two years I've had to utilize APA, APA says two spaces.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been working towards my psychology degree for the last two years I've had to utilize APA, APA says two spaces.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/24/

GoatDriver57
09-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Screw the rules. The question is, what does double spacing do for the reader or not to get the full point of the writing. For the reader, its easier to read by seeing there is a stop in the wording string from one sentence to another because many printer period dots are so small.

The spacing rule applies very well for journalism and understood, money and space taken, reader comfort is under the bus. Blogging, is of another color. Fast tracking, make the 1st read w/o back tracking to understand the point is goal for the reader, while many ones couldn't care less with punctuations, capitalization. So a word string with a double space is good.

ANOTHER NOTE; (Not to derail the topic). Troops, be on the watch of another growing scam, by using the word 'veterans' in their scope, description of their purpose, yes its, " Wreaths Across America " . This org is sucking monies that could have been donated/used toward benefiting orgs for our Veterans or remaining families by purchasing China junk wreaths by the thousands, plus other junk. The wreaths are placed by volunteers, requested by them to meet and place the wreaths at you nearest Nat Cemetery.
This org is playing on the heart strings of surviving ones of the dead veterans to purchase these expensive wreaths to lay on the ground for three weeks or so. Then they put out the notice for scout orgs and other local groups, its time to go over the the national cemetery and harvest their out-dated wreaths and put them in a dumpster to be hauled to a filling landfill somewhere.
This scam is taking legs just better than a month just after National Veterans Day recognition day, first of November. They have sucked Wal Mart into this scam and some local TV stations to float the buy request.
I would bet there isn't one dead vet in that stone garden would agree with the wasted funds, material, wasted volunteers efforts, wasted landfill space, knowing there are better directions to spend the funds and energies to reflect their reason of being a national veteran.
It seems if a slime-ball throws in the word 'veteran' to their org, it has thrown the door open for guaranteed feeders of their product. We and you are seeing this everyday. Don't get sucked up. Its getting bigger by the day. Ever my electric provider is "Veterans Energy", WTF.

TJMAC77SP
09-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Screw the rules. The question is, what does double spacing do for the reader or not to get the full point of the writing. For the reader, its easier to read by seeing there is a stop in the wording string from one sentence to another because many printer period dots are so small.

The spacing rule applies very well for journalism and understood, money and space taken, reader comfort is under the bus. Blogging, is of another color. Fast tracking, make the 1st read w/o back tracking to understand the point is goal for the reader, while many ones couldn't care less with punctuations, capitalization. So a word string with a double space is good.

ANOTHER NOTE; (Not to derail the topic). Troops, be on the watch of another growing scam, by using the word 'veterans' in their scope, description of their purpose, yes its, " Wreaths Across America " . This org is sucking monies that could have been donated/used toward benefiting orgs for our Veterans or remaining families by purchasing China junk wreaths by the thousands, plus other junk. The wreaths are placed by volunteers, requested by them to meet and place the wreaths at you nearest Nat Cemetery.
This org is playing on the heart strings of surviving ones of the dead veterans to purchase these expensive wreaths to lay on the ground for three weeks or so. Then they put out the notice for scout orgs and other local groups, its time to go over the the national cemetery and harvest their out-dated wreaths and put them in a dumpster to be hauled to a filling landfill somewhere.
This scam is taking legs just better than a month just after National Veterans Day recognition day, first of November. They have sucked Wal Mart into this scam and some local TV stations to float the buy request.
I would bet there isn't one dead vet in that stone garden would agree with the wasted funds, material, wasted volunteers efforts, wasted landfill space, knowing there are better directions to spend the funds and energies to reflect their reason of being a national veteran.
It seems if a slime-ball throws in the word 'veteran' to their org, it has thrown the door open for guaranteed feeders of their product. We and you are seeing this everyday. Don't get sucked up. Its getting bigger by the day. Ever my electric provider is "Veterans Energy", WTF.

I am a bit confused by your objection. Do you object to the mere fact of laying wreaths on the graves of fallen military members as a waste of resources that could be used elsewhere or do you object to the drive because you believe the wreaths are 'China junk'?

GoatDriver57
09-16-2013, 03:30 PM
I am a bit confused by your objection. Do you object to the mere fact of laying wreaths on the graves of fallen military members as a waste of resources that could be used elsewhere or do you object to the drive because you believe the wreaths are 'China junk'?

My apology for it being as clear as mud, WAA is a big waste of resources from top to bottom while there are a few great living-vet organizations that could/would put better, longer lasting use of those fat WAA donations. We all know, Christmas is a time when all, true and scamer 'veteran' support groups have their hands out for what little donation monies are still out there at year's nearing end and recent years WAA has slimed up to help drain the well.
Thx for pointing this to me, China made is another thread, nother day. I don't belong to any Veteran support gp but to, only a life member to the VFW. An older, kind lady brought the subject forward in one of the recent VFW meets and about the great deed WAA was pushing. I got reminded of this prick from last year this time, say what the hell is this shyt??

TJMAC77SP
09-16-2013, 04:56 PM
My apology for it being as clear as mud, WAA is a big waste of resources from top to bottom while there are a few great living-vet organizations that could/would put better, longer lasting use of those fat WAA donations. We all know, Christmas is a time when all, true and scamer 'veteran' support groups have their hands out for what little donation monies are still out there at year's nearing end and recent years WAA has slimed up to help drain the well.
Thx for pointing this to me, China thing is another thread, nother day. I don't belong to any Veteran support gp but to, only a life member to the VFW. An older kind lady brought this subject forward in one of the recent VFW meets and about the great deed WAA was pushing. I;ve got to Reminded me of the prick of last year this time, say what the hell is this shyt??

Ok, still not clear on everything you are saying but if I understand it...........you think laying wreaths on graves in national cemetaries is a waste when the money could go to programs that benefit live veterans (like Operation Homecoming, the Wounded Warrior Project, Fisher House etc).

I see your point but that is the age old question in charitable giving. What organization should I give my money to?

I don't however think that WWA is a scam. I fear there may be scammers who probably try to capitalize on the true WWA's reputation but that is not to say the original organization is a scam.

20+Years
09-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I would put at least two spaces betwee the wreaths too!

GoatDriver57
09-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I would put at least two spaces betwee the wreaths too!

The wreaths do get doubled space if the next vet's grave's relative didn't purchase a wreath for that year, maybe they had to use the money for beans. Dead vets do not care I've noticed, which sites don't receive wreaths. 20+, pass your suggestion to WAA, maybe that would make a wider, prettier post card.