PDA

View Full Version : All 7 Continents & Greenland -- Who Else?

Endzone
05-29-2013, 12:56 AM
I would like to know who on the forum can claim the same or perhaps even more world wide travel. Maybe you have been to all 7 continents and Greenland and the North Pole and the South Pole or something like that?

I worked on U.S. merchant tankers ships between 1996 and 2005, and that is how I traveled around. We went to many military bases delivering fuel, and we also went some places that weren't military.

Antarctica - We took the annual supply of JP4, JP5 & Diesel Fuel Arctic to McMurdo Base.

Asia - Yokusa Japan, Sasebo Japan, Okinawa, Singapore, Limal Philippines & Santan Kalimantan.

Africa - Djibouti & Zaire

North America - My favorite port was Savannah, GA

South America - Cartagena Columbia, Buesnos Aires Aregentina, Mollendo Peru, & La Libertard Ecuador. Been through Panama Canal about 20 times.

Europe - Calagari Sardenia, Valetta Malta, & St. Nazzaire France

Australia - Melbourne

Greenland - Thule air base, we took the annual supply of fuel

What is your favorite place that you've been to? My top 3 places would be Melbourne, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina & Savannah, Georgia.

Place I disliked the most: Yenbu, Saudi Arabia

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/Endzone2/Craigpicturepassport.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/Endzone2/PassportDiegoGarcia.jpg

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
05-29-2013, 01:15 AM
I would like to know who on the forum can claim the same or perhaps even more world wide travel. Maybe you have been to all 7 continents and Greenland and the North Pole and the South Pole or something like that?

I worked on U.S. merchant tankers ships between 1996 and 2005, and that is how I traveled around. We went to many military bases delivering fuel, and we also went some places that weren't military.

Antarctica - We took the annual supply of JP4, JP5 & Diesel Fuel Arctic to McMurdo Base.

Asia - Yokusa Japan, Sasebo Japan, Okinawa, Singapore, Limal Philippines & Santan Kalimantan.

Africa - Djibouti & Zaire

North America - My favorite port was Savannah, GA

South America - Cartagena Columbia, Buesnos Aires Aregentina, Mollendo Peru, & La Libertard Ecuador. Been through Panama Canal about 20 times.

Europe - Calagari Sardenia, Valetta Malta, & St. Nazzaire France

Australia - Melbourne

Greenland - Thule air base, we took the annual supply of fuel

What is your favorite place that you've been to? My top 3 places would be Melbourne, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina & Savannah, Georgia.

Place I disliked the most: Yenbu, Saudi Arabia

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/Endzone2/Craigpicturepassport.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/Endzone2/PassportDiegoGarcia.jpg

Did you bag any of the local girls? Did they listen to Rod Stewart? I bet they digged your hairy chest.

Rusty Jones
05-29-2013, 01:17 AM
I'd love to engage in this conversation; but it's probably spam.

Greg
05-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Does seeing a continental mass through the "big eyes" of forward look-out count?

Were you a documented AB?

Endzone
05-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Did you bag any of the local girls? Did they listen to Rod Stewart? I bet they digged your hairy chest.

That was a habit of mine from a young age. I did it for comfort. I still wear only button-downs to this day and have that top button open. If I was doing it for show I would of had a gold chain to go with it.

Yes, but I'm sorry to say they were all hookers.

- - - Updated - - -

Does seeing a continental mass through the "big eyes" of forward look-out count?

Were you a documented AB?

No, I was a radio operator.

RFScott
05-29-2013, 02:26 AM
When did you make your run into McMurdo? I did a six month tour there during the last austral summer....good times. I have only made it to 4 continents so far, but maybe I'll be able to round out my world tour in the next several years.

Asia: Osan AB, ROK, Qatar, Afghanistan
Europe: Hahn AB, Germany & Shannon, Ireland.
North America: Mexico, Belize
Antarctica: McMurdo Station

Spent several days in Christchurch, New Zealand traveling to and from the ice....love the Kiwis!

Endzone
05-29-2013, 04:31 AM
testing 123. Sorry I tried to post, but I got a message about it only being available to a moderator. I posted a youtube link--maybe that was the problem. Anyway, I wonder if you are going back to McMurdo? I was there in 1988. I also visited the Kiwi base there. It was an industrial green color. They had a good radio telex link between the Kiwi base there and New Zealand. Was it called Scott Base? I can't remember. I have a 10 minute video of the trip. My Youtube user name is T5radioop.

Maybe you can try South America next.

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Can't make that claim... best I've got is riding my motorcycle through the lower 48, stopping in Mexico for shits & giggles, through Canada to Hyder, Alaska... 10,300 miles, in 9.5 days!

Endzone
05-29-2013, 04:38 AM
When did you make your run into McMurdo? I did a six month tour there during the last austral summer....good times. I have only made it to 4 continents so far, but maybe I'll be able to round out my world tour in the next several years.

Asia: Osan AB, ROK, Qatar, Afghanistan
Europe: Hahn AB, Germany & Shannon, Ireland.
North America: Mexico, Belize
Antarctica: McMurdo Station

Spent several days in Christchurch, New Zealand traveling to and from the ice....love the Kiwis!

You did 6 months at McMurdo huh? Well I wonder if you liked it enough to go back? Now that you have visited Antarctica, the other continents should be easier to get to. I visited the NZ base while I was there. At the time it was all painted an industrial green color. They also had quite a high frequency telex radio link between the base there and NZ. I would love to go to Christchurch, but I think my young traveling days are over. No money now--haha.

Here's about 10 minutes of the trip to McMurdo in 1988. Back then it was all VHS tapes, so this is about 4th generation and then converted to digital video and then converted again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWodJqQdq-o

RFScott
05-29-2013, 04:42 AM
testing 123. Sorry I tried to post, but I got a message about it only being available to a moderator. I posted a youtube link--maybe that was the problem. Anyway, I wonder if you are going back to McMurdo? I was there in 1988. I also visited the Kiwi base there. It was an industrial green color. They had a good radio telex link between the Kiwi base there and New Zealand. Was it called Scott Base? I can't remember. I have a 10 minute video of the trip. My Youtube user name is T5radioop.

Maybe you can try South America next.

Yeah if you post a link to an external website it usually has to go through a Moderator for approval. I should be heading there for another 5-6 months this coming August...we'll see how things go, plans are constantly being shifted around and reworked due to sequestration. You are right about the Kiwi station, it is that industrial green color and it is called Scott Base. That must have been pretty cool though to show up on a ship for station refueling, I remember ship offload being a crazy time, I also recall the stigma that comes with the NAVCHAPS when they show up...all alcohol sales stop and the bars close down. I have a short YouTube video too...just me and a friend walking to the galley in Condition 2 weather.

Endzone
05-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Yeah if you post a link to an external website it usually has to go through a Moderator for approval. I should be heading there for another 5-6 months this coming August...we'll see how things go, plans are constantly being shifted around and reworked due to sequestration. You are right about the Kiwi station, it is that industrial green color and it is called Scott Base. That must have been pretty cool though to show up on a ship for station refueling, I remember ship offload being a crazy time, I also recall the stigma that comes with the NAVCHAPS when they show up...all alcohol sales stop and the bars close down. I have a short YouTube video too...just me and a friend walking to the galley in Condition 2 weather.

You must be pretty tough to winter over. Do you get any kind of satellite TV there? I know we lost the satellite when we tied up at the ice pier. The elevation of the satellite was like 5 degrees, and it was blocked by the hills there.

Endzone
05-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Here's how it looked from the ice pier in January 1988

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/Endzone2/ant1.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/Endzone2/ant2.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/Endzone2/ant3.jpg

Endzone
05-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Can't make that claim... best I've got is riding my motorcycle through the lower 48, stopping in Mexico for shits & giggles, through Canada to Hyder, Alaska... 10,300 miles, in 9.5 days!

So what is the best state?

raider8169
05-29-2013, 07:31 AM
I've done a lot of traveling but I did not stay in too many locations to get a good feel for the location.

States: All over but I would say I visited 30-35 different states. I should keep some sort of track of it. My favorite was NY but I am from there so I am biased. Otherwise I have enjoyed what little of Cali and Colorado I saw. Canada was cool but I only went to the Falls and around that area.

Europe I was in Germany for 3 years but I visited Austria, Belguim, Netherlands, Luxemberg, France, and Italy.

In Asia I was at Osan, Qatar, Singapore (only a day).

I was also at BIOT for a few months. That was kinda cool looking back but at the time I wasn't a huge fan.

It would be cool to be able to add to this list and being in Korea would be an easy way to travel. Only Im not with the wifey and I would like to travel together.

RFScott
05-29-2013, 12:16 PM
You must be pretty tough to winter over. Do you get any kind of satellite TV there? I know we lost the satellite when we tied up at the ice pier. The elevation of the satellite was like 5 degrees, and it was blocked by the hills there.

Oh I haven't wintered over yet. I went in on the second flight of WINFLY last year and stayed through the whole summer season. From the looks of your video Winter Quarters Bay has not changed at all. Although, we had a lot more ice hanging around this season...it finally started to blow out after a big storm we had there. We did get a few channels of TV while I was down there, namely some Kiwi and Aussie networks. We also had a few channels of AFN that we could watch too. All of our communications came from a facility on Black Island, so we were able to overcome the line-of-sight issues because of that. The station also has two (nearly) 24 hours movie channels as well.

JD2780
05-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Asia eurotrash and of course North America.

TACPs don't generally get to go to cool places.

It's a cool job just narrow in locations.

Monkey
05-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Good Lord! That's averaging a little under 1100 miles per day. That would mean you were on your bike for 18-19 hours each day. You're lucky you didn't get a blood clot to the brain.