PDA

View Full Version : Retirement aka the reason you're in.

Tak
05-21-2013, 07:02 PM

BISSBOSS
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
I get 2.5 hours of ADDITIONAL sleep EVERY work day!

-BB-

ttribe
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I feel free from the tyranny that was maintaining my waistline, and my 1.5 mile speed. I didn't mind PT, but say what you will, it is hard for a 40 something family man to maintain. Staying in shape and passing PT tests consumed me, and caused a huge amount of stress on me. More than the stress of leaving AD and having to find my first job after 26 years. I've added 15 pounds to my retirment weight the first year I was out, and have been at that without trying ever since. Those 15 pounds would have cost me had I had them while I was in.

BISSBOSS
05-21-2013, 08:28 PM
I also have had to get accustomed to the people in my office actually taking what I offer as advice based on experience even though many of them have degrees!

Weird...

-BB-

20+Years
05-21-2013, 08:31 PM
So, when you retire... do you still get the guilty feeling whn the day is over and you know you didn't acomplish anything?

Measure Man
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I retired to a job as a contractor.

The only real downside is I don't feel the job security I did when active duty...can be cut at any time, especially when the contract re-competes. It's a bit nerve-wracking.

Inspections are more pressure, too.

Everything else is much better...especially being on an AF base and you still get emails for all the silliness the GIs have to put up with.

KellyinAvon
05-21-2013, 10:54 PM
I retired to a job as a contractor.

The only real downside is I don't feel the job security I did when active duty...can be cut at any time, especially when the contract re-competes. It's a bit nerve-wracking.

Inspections are more pressure, too.

Everything else is much better...especially being on an AF base and you still get emails for all the silliness the GIs have to put up with.

I miss the people (ok, most of the people). I don't miss the silliness.

KellyinAvon
05-21-2013, 11:36 PM
You miss people or camaraderie or both? Do you have many friends outside military?

I miss the people. I remember the camaraderie at Taegu and Rockville, Iceland and know I'll never see that again.

I've stayed in touch with a few friends from my AF days (tomorrow makes 6 years since I wore the uniform), but I've only been on an AF Base twice in that time. I have friends from work and friends from here in the neighborhood. It's different because all blue-suiters have a lot in common, not so much in this world.

Capt Alfredo
05-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Tip #7

Eat w/o PT worries

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/198536_1949465464665_4375609_n.jpg

OK, now this picture made me smile and laugh.

BOSS302
05-22-2013, 03:05 AM
My grandfather retired from the Air Force as a Staff Sergeant in the early 70s. His training and experience landed him a good job at Brown & Williamson (tobacco company), where he worked for another twenty years before retiring from there as well.

He bought a nice house (cash) on several acres of land that came complete with fields, pine tree woods, and even a creek. He owned a nice boat, two cars (one for grandma), a tractor, and all the toys/gadgets he desired. He was an extremely proud man and always spoke fondly of the Air Force and the military in general. When I joined, he told me that, so long as I enjoyed the service, I should stay until retirement...that the benefits of retirement were the greatest gift he got from putting his time in.

He spent the last thirty-odd years of his life in absolute enjoyment, comfort, and financial stability.

I wonder today how easy that will come for my generation and the generations after.

RobotChicken
05-22-2013, 03:45 AM
:popcorn 'Costa Rico' for me! No standing military,great health care, AND always GREAT Fishing, AND ALWAYS 1700 hrs!! :lol:cheer2:fish2:party:yo:cool::welcome

TSgt"M"
05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I have friends who have no retirement plans or savings at all. They have worked all their life at factories. I feel very forturnate for my AF and soon to be michigan teaching retirement.

JD2780
05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Tip #8

Get retirement home

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427076_4381504784128_764206663_n.jpg

Nice, and I like the elevated hydrant, only have to dig it out 3 feet instead of 9

TSgt"M"
05-22-2013, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Tak;627195]Michigan...tough economics there hugh?
Knew a guy who left here for there, he came back.
I've visited Detroit, lansing and alpena.
When r u out?

South west MI. Near Kalamazoo. Actually there are jobs to be had,
just shitty ones with low pay and little to no benefits.

JD2780
05-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Helps my insurance rate, when asked if theres a hydrant on my street,
I tell them I can piss on it from my porch.

Note: on top of the hydrant theres a red and white stick that reaches 9 ft :-)

Yea, that thing is no joke. Not your porch or junk, but the hydrant.

TSgt"M"
05-22-2013, 02:30 PM
No, Career Trade Ed, (Auto Shop) didn't need a teaching cert just ASE Auto Certs in the areas that I teach. Can draw a check from MI at 15 years and age 55, I'll finish this school year with 14 years and I'm be 53 this fall so I'm getting close to another retirement. Its a fun job, (summers off) so I'll keep going as long as its fun. Live on a river, fish, drink beer, and ride my pontoon all summer.

BENDER56
05-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Tip #4

Enjoy pets

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/601058_10200470874042731_300220210_n.jpg

Is that a cairn terrier? (No ... the other one.)

Chief_KO
05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Tak, our Shih Tzu looks just like yours! Ours (Maddie) rules the home. Tip #4 is awesome!!! (as are the rest). Life is too short, enjoy!!!

JD2780
05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
hydrant not as close as it looked

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/13866_1266708876177_3507448_n.jpg

200ft is close enough!!

JD2780
05-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Some folks just felt a disturbance in the force.

Slyoldawg
05-23-2013, 08:53 PM
So, when you retire... do you still get the guilty feeling whn the day is over and you know you didn't acomplish anything?

During the early part of my AF career I mostly worked in Transient Alert because as a recip mechanic the AF didn't have much use for us until Vietnam, so we were always stashed in Transient Alert on most bases. In that job we had very little supervision. A transient aircraft landed, we led it to a parking spot. we refueled and service the aircraft and then launched it. A MSgt was in charge of TA and he sat in the office and worked 9 to 5. The worker bees worked 24 on and 48 off. I was always bone tired when my shift was over and never had a guilty thought about the days work that I did. We came to work, did our jobs and went home. Later in my career I became a Flight Engineer on first the C-124, then the C-130, later to the C-141 and last of my 26 years were spent on the C-5. I did not know what other enlisted career fields were doing. I was too busy performing what was expected of me I flew my scheduled missions and waited in crew rest until the next scheduled trip. The people I worked with in both career fields simply did their jobs with no muss and no fuss. I don't recall ever having any conversations about retiring during long over water flights. I flew with both regular and reserve flight crews and if they didn't mention which one they were in you couldn't tell. Reading this forum has been an eye opening experiance to me because from all the posts I read I can see it is not the same AF in which I spent my 26 year career. Better or worse? I don't know, but I doubt if I'd do 26 years in the present day AF from what I read here. I didn't think of retirement as the end of my working life. When I did take off the uniform at age 43 it was to start college, then on to the airlines for a brand new career. The thought of not working after retirement just never entered my mind. It was simply a new day and a new way to get a paycheck

OtisRNeedleman
05-24-2013, 12:46 AM

No. First, I have found most civilian jobs to be mundane at best compared to the things I did on active duty. If I were single I wouldn't have even bothered to look for a job after retiring from the AF. Too many neat things to do in life besides work. As a single person the pension would have been enough because I try to live simply. Secondly, I accomplished a lot on active duty. But the two best things I accomplished on active duty were my kids, especially taking care of them for a number of years as a single dad.

imported_chipotleboy
05-24-2013, 02:21 AM

It took a week or two to spin down the Type A personality to where I could handle not being needed to solve the next crisis. But when I found myself sitting on the couch with my wife watching "The View", I knew it was time to go out and get another job.

RobotChicken
05-24-2013, 02:32 AM
:smokin Now that is a different 'view' there 'chip'....:yo

eman_osan
05-24-2013, 03:40 AM
When I first retired, I planned not to even look for a job for a least one year. After two weeks, the wife kicks me out of the house because I was driving her crazy. With nothing to do, me and best friend who had just separated would open up a bar every morning at 0800 and drink to the comissary opened and then have a BBQ. We had our own version of The Breakfast Club down in the alley. After four months of drinking soju everyday, it was time to do something constructive and give my liver a break. It was hard work but somebody had to do it.

RobotChicken
05-24-2013, 03:47 AM
:party Should have opened up a bar!! (worked for me$$$$$$$):smokin

eman_osan
05-24-2013, 05:21 AM
I had the opportunity to own a bar. My job is in the hospitality business and the last thing I wanted was to get off of work and then have to deal with drunks for the rest of the evening. The money would have been nice, but putting up with the BS (especially drunk KNs) would have probably cost me more in the long run after throwing an A-hole through a window.

:party Should have opened up a bar!! (worked for me$$$$$$$):smokin

Luvnlife
05-30-2013, 07:58 PM
I've been gone for awhile, what happened to Tak?

RobotChicken
05-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I've been gone for awhile, what happened to Tak?

:beerchug: He is still lurking around...:haha::wizard: