PDA

View Full Version : Odds of making OTS

Gotrek
05-16-2013, 02:44 AM
I would like a realistic assessment on my odds of making OTS. Unfortunately I chose this path too late and am not a part of ROTC.

I am studying for a BS in electrical engineering with a 3.15 GPA. I have a decent amount of community service and am a varsity athlete. I participate in several engineering clubs that do community service projects. I would consider my prior work experience to be strong. I will be applying for a non rated but technical position.

I got my AFOQT scores back a few days ago and received the following:
Pilot: 95 Navigator: 87 Academic Aptitude: 98 Verbal: 88 Quantitative: 97

From searching online I have seen a lot of mixed results about how competitive OTS is, ranging from 6% acceptance rates upwards to over 50%. Do the acceptance rates vary that much or am I very misinformed?

Any thoughts or questions are more than welcome!

-Gotrek

RobotChicken
05-16-2013, 02:48 AM
:spy Saw they were looking for 'a few good missile silo officers' ready to snap to attention and nuke a billion people at the drop of a hat......:behindsofa

Gotrek
05-16-2013, 02:49 AM
I don't see myself wanting a family in the foreseeable future. I also think that the military can provide me with a lot of things that I am looking for such as (hopefully) interesting work, self discipline, and the ability to travel around the world, among other things.

Gotrek
05-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Haha I heard about that debacle.

Tak
05-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Appears like your a decent candidate, but why not stay civilian, get a good job where you want to raise a family.

Gotrek
05-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Seems like I accidentally posted twice. Sorry, new here.

Gotrek
05-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Haha I heard about that debacle.

RobotChicken
05-16-2013, 03:10 AM
:spy 'BUFF' that 'SILO'.......:lol

Tak
05-16-2013, 03:15 AM
Seems like I accidentally posted twice. Sorry, new here.

travel?

In 20 years Ive been to 3 bases.

BOSS302
05-16-2013, 03:17 AM
I would like a realistic assessment on my odds of making OTS. Unfortunately I chose this path too late and am not a part of ROTC.

I am studying for a BS in electrical engineering with a 3.15 GPA. I have a decent amount of community service and am a varsity athlete. I participate in several engineering clubs that do community service projects. I would consider my prior work experience to be strong. I will be applying for a non rated but technical position.

From searching online I have seen a lot of mixed results about how competitive OTS is, ranging from 6% acceptance rates upwards to over 50%. Do the acceptance rates vary that much or am I very misinformed?

-Gotrek

Pros: Your degree program is a highly-desired one in the USAF at the moment. You have community service and prior work experience under your belt. Your AFOQT scores far exceed the "minimum" required.

Cons: Your GPA is not competitive in regards to who else will be applying. You are attempting to get into OTS during a historically-low acceptance rate (in fact, weren't OTS boards for this year suspended?).

A friend of mine (Senior Airman) had a 4.0 GPA from her university in the field of biochemical engineering. Not only was she extremely involved in extra-curricular activities during her time in college (to include overseas charity projects during the summer) but she was also the poster-child of the "Whole Person Concept" once she joined the AF. She won a MAJCOM-level award, receieved a glowing recommendation from the Wing/CC, and she somehow managed to get her Senator to write her a letter of recommendation.

She applied twice, did not make it twice.

At least she gave it a go and it hasn't kept her down or dampened her spirits. She is now being sought after by the Army and the Navy (I had no idea the services head-hunted each other...?).

Just apply and see what happens. Best of luck.

Bunch
05-16-2013, 04:19 AM

-Gotrek

Sounds to me like you be a really good candidate. The low GPA can be addressed head on during your application interview, essay and with reference letter from a professor or dean, also where you go to school is important. For example, in Health Profession a student who graduated with Nursing degree from John Hopkins with a 3.1 GPA will be considered a better candidate than a 4.0 GPA student from Chamberlain College of Nursing. Is it right? Well that's debatable but the reality is that school bias exist not only in the AF but everywhere. The fact that you manage to score so well in the AFOQT leads me to believe that you were in a very strong program.

Also check the Health Professions side, I think in the Biomedical Sciences they also have need for EE's. As far as application goes make sure you apply for the first board of FY14, the reason being is that officer program need to make goal early in the fiscal year and they will select the majority of people in the first board that way they can close the programs early.

imported_Sgt HULK
05-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Pros: Your degree program is a highly-desired one in the USAF at the moment. You have community service and prior work experience under your belt. Your AFOQT scores far exceed the "minimum" required.

Cons: Your GPA is not competitive in regards to who else will be applying. You are attempting to get into OTS during a historically-low acceptance rate (in fact, weren't OTS boards for this year suspended?).

A friend of mine (Senior Airman) had a 4.0 GPA from her university in the field of biochemical engineering. Not only was she extremely involved in extra-curricular activities during her time in college (to include overseas charity projects during the summer) but she was also the poster-child of the "Whole Person Concept" once she joined the AF. She won a MAJCOM-level award, receieved a glowing recommendation from the Wing/CC, and she somehow managed to get her Senator to write her a letter of recommendation.

She applied twice, did not make it twice.

At least she gave it a go and it hasn't kept her down or dampened her spirits. She is now being sought after by the Army and the Navy (I had no idea the services head-hunted each other...?).

Just apply and see what happens. Best of luck.

OTS boards were not cancelled the public release is next week for the recent non rated board. That chick didnt get it because you can only send in one letter of rec and it cannot be any higher than your commanders rater rater or some whacky shit which is usually the wing king

afoqt scores do not mean crap, ive seen dynamite ones like yours get non selected, ive seen crap low ones like mine get accepted ;) and even lower ones than mine get accepted.

It all comes down to you, and how you can prove leadership, desire etc. While your GPA may be low, if you have dominated your military career, shown leadership potential etc. It will carry you past the low GPC, rated boards are different than rated boards so I can only speak for the non rated ive seen heard and know about, the lasted rated board window is open good luck. it took me about 6 months to fine tune my package for submittal

Measure Man
05-16-2013, 04:46 AM
You have the right degree and good AFOQT scores...you have a decent shot.

imported_chipotleboy
05-16-2013, 08:50 PM

-Gotrek

The answer is...it depends.

First, are you prior enlisted or not? If so, your military record will be of significant interest to the board.

Second, don't discount ROTC. If you still have a year to go for graduation, they sometimes have an accelerated program for seniors in engineering. You can also start on your graduate degree while you complete your ROTC program. Best to see your local ROTC recruiter and see what options you have. We always need engineers, especially electrical engineers.

Third, a lot depends on what AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) you apply for. You can have the most "in demand" degree, but if there are a lot of BSEE grads applying for a 62E3E (electrical engineering) AFSC, you may be out of luck. Broaden your AFSC of interest to include the Cyber and Intel areas.

Fourth, a 3.15 GPA in EE is nothing to sneeze at. A score like that is still good enough to get into the AFIT MS in Electrical Engineering program. You'll find your GPA will probably improve when you get to graduate school. (After you complete an initial assignment)

Fifth, your AFOQT scores are outstanding.

Best of luck

OtisRNeedleman
05-16-2013, 10:28 PM
The answer is...it depends.

First, are you prior enlisted or not? If so, your military record will be of significant interest to the board.

Second, don't discount ROTC. If you still have a year to go for graduation, they sometimes have an accelerated program for seniors in engineering. You can also start on your graduate degree while you complete your ROTC program. Best to see your local ROTC recruiter and see what options you have. We always need engineers, especially electrical engineers.

Third, a lot depends on what AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) you apply for. You can have the most "in demand" degree, but if there are a lot of BSEE grads applying for a 62E3E (electrical engineering) AFSC, you may be out of luck. Broaden your AFSC of interest to include the Cyber and Intel areas.

Fourth, a 3.15 GPA in EE is nothing to sneeze at. A score like that is still good enough to get into the AFIT MS in Electrical Engineering program. You'll find your GPA will probably improve when you get to graduate school. (After you complete an initial assignment)

Fifth, your AFOQT scores are outstanding.

Best of luck

Yup, I joined ROTC with one year to go before graduation. Graduated then immediately started grad school. Before going on active duty as a butter-bar completed everything but the master's thesis.

Gotrek
05-17-2013, 03:26 AM
To clarify a few things, I am applying for the TDSP (technical degree sponsorship program) program and the application is due June 1st so there is no time for ROTC. Secondly, I am not prior enlisted, I am a civilian planning to come in straight after college. Because I am applying for the TDSP program, I do not know if I can change/broaden my AFSC.

Thank you all for your responses.

Gotrek
05-17-2013, 03:27 AM
To clarify a few things, I am applying for the TDSP (technical degree sponsorship program) program and the application is due June 1st so there is no time for ROTC. Secondly, I am not prior enlisted, I am a civilian planning to come in straight after college. Because I am applying for the TDSP program, I do not know if I can change/broaden my AFSC.

Thank you all for your responses.

JD2780
05-17-2013, 03:28 AM
travel?

In 20 years Ive been to 3 bases.

In 10 yrs I got to 4

RobotChicken
05-17-2013, 03:39 AM
:lol I've known folks that have spent 30 at 2 places...on the 'beach' and 'submerged'! :clap2:behindsofa:hat and a 'few' that are STILL on 'PATROL'!! :amen:closed_2