PDA

View Full Version : Custodian Sues School Over English-Only Signs

drc100882
05-10-2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/hispanic-worker-hurt-sues-employer-because-signs-at-work-are-english-only

"The employees’ beef? That signs on the campus are in English only. This circumstance has created a particular hardship for custodian Bertha Ribota, who claims she was injured at work because she couldn’t read a warning sign that was in English."

Can we assume that none of these non-English speaking employees drive a vehicle to and from work? I'd love to have that question answered.

Banned
05-10-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm kind of in the middle on this one. I think if a business or public institution is going to hire Spanish-only employees, then they should also ensure the signs are bilingual.

However, I'm raising an eyebrow about the story because warning signs are designed so they can be understood by anyone, regardless of literacy. But what exactly was the sign in question, and how did the injury occur? The image linked in the article is a "slippery when wet", but there is nothing in the article itself that states that the employee slipped on a wet floor. What happened?

Greg
05-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Can we assume that none of these non-English speaking employees drive a vehicle to and from work? I'd love to have that question answered.

The non-english speaking, when taking a "english only" written drivers exam do not necessarily read as much as they recognize what is on the exam.

In other words, they sit with a interpreter, and drill what is on the expected exam.

garhkal
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Personally i feel we spend to much time catering to the speaking/reading requirements of everyone else. You work for a US company, speak English.

JD2780
05-12-2013, 12:27 AM
How about they learn English. That simple.

CYBERFX1024
05-12-2013, 02:43 AM
I am with Joe on this one. I know it is hard to believe. But I find it hard to believe as well. Almost all signs nowadays when printed are in both Spanish and English. Also it is pretty hard to miss one of those signs unless someone was being negligent and/or just ignoring them. Plus most of these signs have that little stick figure guy which makes it hard to miss what it is doing.

CYBERFX1024
05-12-2013, 02:49 AM
I would love for it to be English only. But I know that's not the case in the real world.

Banned
05-12-2013, 06:06 AM
Personally i feel we spend to much time catering to the speaking/reading requirements of everyone else. You work for a US company, speak English.

Just out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind this? Many countries have multiple languages - why not us? Is it because we're one of the very few countries on Earth too lazy to learn a second language?

garhkal
05-12-2013, 06:11 AM
That they do.. Heck when i grew up in england you had to take 3 years of at least one foreign language.. BUT back then you also had to speak/read/write the language of the country you wanted citizenship in.. These days we seem to cater to those who speak everything else.

Banned
05-12-2013, 06:13 AM
That they do.. Heck when i grew up in england you had to take 3 years of at least one foreign language.. BUT back then you also had to speak/read/write the language of the country you wanted citizenship in.. These days we seem to cater to those who speak everything else.

So why is this exclusively an American problem? What are we doing wrong that other bi-lingual countries are doing right?

CYBERFX1024
05-12-2013, 06:39 AM
So why is this exclusively an American problem? What are we doing wrong that other bi-lingual countries are doing right?

We are not promoting English at all in this country anymore. Every time they bring up a amendment or a law promoting English, it is thrown back as being racist or going against Immigrants. But the majority of the Legal Immigrants of this country actually try and take the time to learn English. Even if it is pretty bad they at least TRY and learn American English. I say American English because some people speak English in other countries that have literally left me scratching my head thinking "wtf did they say". The Scots are really bad about that.

Every country I have been to that uses multiple languages in it always has signs in English and the main language of that country. I think the only countries that I have been to that don't do this are the Europeans. But I have been all over the Middle East and SE Asia. Signs in the Middle East are almost always in English and Arabic. The UAE for example has people from everywhere speaking numerous different languages. Signs there are in English and Arabic. Because English is the unifying language.
Just like in India as well. The two main languages are Hindi and English. They have over a 1500 languages there. Sometimes you can go from one village to another and it's a different language. The government wants to use only Hindi, but the non-hindi speaking people consider it a type of domination and control. When I worked in Afghanistan, I knew some Indians that spoke different languages and only conversed to one another in English
The Philippines has over 200 languages. But the two main languages are English and Filipino. While basic signs in the Philippines are in English. But more complex signs are in Filipino and English. Singapore is one of the few countries I have been to where everything is in English because it is literally a melting pot of people and cultures.

CYBERFX1024
05-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind this? Many countries have multiple languages - why not us? Is it because we're one of the very few countries on Earth too lazy to learn a second language?

Yes, Americans are really lazy about trying to learn a language. Where ever I go I try and learn some words of the local language. Due to the fact that it really does help alittle bit in coming across as not being a "Stupid American". I may get the pronunciation wrong, but people get the meaning and are grateful for the effort.

My wife is from the Philippines and can speak four languages fluently. She is from a area in the Philippines where growing up they have learn 3 languages growing up. She grew up with her native language of Cebuano. But then they are bombarded with Filipino/Tagalog on tv and in school. Then they also have to learn English as well. Most people have a basic understand of English. It is encouraged to learn more English so that people can go abroad to work and help support the family.

The only bad thing is that they don't understand sarcasm AT ALL. If you say it as being sarcastic, they take it as you being literal and get offended. I had to teach my wife about that, and she is getting very good with sarcasm now.

106PADDOCK
05-12-2013, 07:20 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/hispanic-worker-hurt-sues-employer-because-signs-at-work-are-english-only

"The employees’ beef? That signs on the campus are in English only. This circumstance has created a particular hardship for custodian Bertha Ribota, who claims she was injured at work because she couldn’t read a warning sign that was in English."

What language did these people complete their employment application in? I will guess that it was English.

106PADDOCK
05-12-2013, 07:20 AM

I enjoyed nothing more than speaking German to the locals when I was in the small "burgs" away from garrison towns. I think they were both surprised and entertained by a large Black man speaking their language while my White wife of German descent couldn't speak a word of German especially the Polezi!

garhkal
05-12-2013, 09:10 PM

No national language (well official at least). And when i grew up there, most if not all forms to get assistance were in English not in other languages.. unlike these days.
heck when i was stationed in London back in 02-05 you could apply for state aid (their version of welfare) in over 3 dozen languages.. NO need to write them in english.. similar to how we in the US are going.

JD2780
05-12-2013, 09:47 PM
When in Germany is learned to speak several key phrases within a few weeks. Within a few years my buddies can speak German fluently. Yes, the US is horrible at being bilingual. So is this guy that isn't speaking English while in America.