PDA

View Full Version : Wish I would have packed/prepared _________ on my last deployement

Zxc
05-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Packing again, time to review even small regrets:

Freshly purchased running shoes
An extra hard drive with all my music, not just whatever 40gb was already on my player
A better laptop rather than the one I packed (maybe something w/ more than 30 seconds of battery life)
Good headphones
Books I've always meant to read
Photographs and video in violation of GO1
Nice insoles for shoes/boots
Ankle, knee, and wrist wraps
Good quality shower shoes and shower/travel container
Carabiners... more Carabiners
Whatever chapstick astronauts use

What have you forgotten or fell short with in the past? :doh

Tak
05-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Sorry, never deployed

technomage1
05-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Running shoes: Road Runner Sports can't be beat for selection, shipping speed, and return policy. They ship to APO addresses too, no problem.

technomage1
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I hear ya'...20 years in CE and never did the desert (other than Kuwait for 90 days) and never did Korea. Almost unheard of.

I didn't purposely avoid these things, just the way my assignments worked out. Some people think I should feel guilty about it but I don't. Not even a little bit.

Yeah, I've never heard of that in CE. I've got 16 years in and deployed 9 times and a Korea assignment. Not knocking you, just picking my jaw up off the floor.

What did you do, back to back short tours, instructor duty, etc?

Airborne
05-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Considering that the deployed AAFES/NEX somehow manages to have better stuff than my homestation and that amazon delivers to APO/FPO Ive never left wanting.

sandsjames
05-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Sorry, never deployed

I hear ya'...20 years in CE and never did the desert (other than Kuwait for 90 days) and never did Korea. Almost unheard of.

I didn't purposely avoid these things, just the way my assignments worked out. Some people think I should feel guilty about it but I don't. Not even a little bit.

Tak
05-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Holloman
Minot
Peterson
Minot

Retirement

sandsjames
05-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of that in CE. I've got 16 years in and deployed 9 times and a Korea assignment. Not knocking you, just picking my jaw up off the floor.

What did you do, back to back short tours, instructor duty, etc?

First assignment was Combat Comm, we went to South America (94-96). Then I went to Guam, short tour. After that I was at Travis for 2 years and the unit I was in (AMOS) didn't deploy. From there I went to Mildenhall (99-03). We weren't part of the AEF, was humanitarian missions only, so went to Cameroon. Then I was an instructor from 03-07. Went back to Mildenhall. Was supposed to deploy twice but both got cancelled. Did Kuwait for 90 days backfilling a guard slot. Then I came to Beale. Part of an Intel Group that is "deployed in place". So just the way the assignments fell.

Tak
05-10-2013, 04:03 PM
First assignment was Combat Comm, we went to South America (94-96). Then I went to Guam, short tour. After that I was at Travis for 2 years and the unit I was in (AMOS) didn't deploy. From there I went to Mildenhall (99-03). We weren't part of the AEF, was humanitarian missions only, so went to Cameroon. Then I was an instructor from 03-07. Went back to Mildenhall. Was supposed to deploy twice but both got cancelled. Did Kuwait for 90 days backfilling a guard slot. Then I came to Beale. Part of an Intel Group that is "deployed in place". So just the way the assignments fell.

Around 95 I was on call for Iraq when they ammassed troops on border. 02 they didn't take us with bombers to England deployment.
Soon after soft tasked to afghan. Then in 06 went to missile wing. Whole career worldwide deployable.

JD2780
05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Deployed 3 times in a 4 year period. Wish I hads were more medicated powder, fresh chew, extra laptop chargers, more double A batteries.

KellyinAvon
05-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Definitely extras running shoes. Unless you wear a Shaq size 16 or anything EEEE it's tough to find.
Extra travel mugs (cheap, plastic types). I don't want to pay $15 for a stainless steel thing I'm gonna lose in 2 weeks anyway.

sandsjames
05-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Around 95 I was on call for Iraq when they ammassed troops on border. 02 they didn't take us with bombers to England deployment.
Soon after soft tasked to afghan. Then in 06 went to missile wing. Whole career worldwide deployable.

In '02 in England we ended up going down to RAF Fairford from Mildenhall in order to stand "guard" around those bombers. We had an SP at the nose, two people on the wings and one on the tail. Then we had the SP's with dogs inside the fence line. Then we had the British cops outside the fenceline. To back that up , we had the Ghurka's patrolling the area. All of this because some freakin' protester hopped the fence and was found sitting underneath one of the bombers. Thanks for ruining 3 weeks of my life.

Tak
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
In '02 in England we ended up going down to RAF Fairford from Mildenhall in order to stand "guard" around those bombers. We had an SP at the nose, two people on the wings and one on the tail. Then we had the SP's with dogs inside the fence line. Then we had the British cops outside the fenceline. To back that up , we had the Ghurka's patrolling the area. All of this because some freakin' protester hopped the fence and was found sitting underneath one of the bombers. Thanks for ruining 3 weeks of my life.

That was a pivotal moment of awakening. I drove on base, all planes were gone and I/we weren't,
Right then and there I knew it was all BS and I was base support not playing role in mission.

Zxc
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm a bit behind the curve and averages for CE for number of deployments but nothing major, I expect many more in the upcoming years.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
05-10-2013, 08:41 PM
I covered my bases pretty well, so I didn't feel like I had to do without anything I really needed. Now I will say that my microfiber towels saved me some space in my duffle bag, and I don't regret purchasing them at all.

drc100882
05-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Packing again, time to review even small regrets:

Freshly purchased running shoes
An extra hard drive with all my music, not just whatever 40gb was already on my player
A better laptop rather than the one I packed (maybe something w/ more than 30 seconds of battery life)
Good headphones
Books I've always meant to read
Photographs and video in violation of GO1
Nice insoles for shoes/boots
Ankle, knee, and wrist wraps
Good quality shower shoes and shower/travel container
Carabiners... more Carabiners
Whatever chapstick astronauts use

What have you forgotten or fell short with in the past? :doh

Captain Morgan
Jack Daniels
Chocolate
Lime Tostitos

Drackore
05-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Better laptop and my Xbox. Saw so many Xboxes at a FOB I damn near shit my pants. Bought my second Xbox at a BX about a week after I got there, last guy left the TV. I was set.

JD2780
05-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Captain Morgan
Jack Daniels
Chocolate
Lime Tostitos

Ship the JD in your conex if your unit has one going.

BOSS302
05-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Ship the JD in your conex if your unit has one going.

Every unit needs their own JD2780. Does a JD2780 come with a T.O.?

JD2780
05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Every unit needs their own JD2780. Does a JD2780 come with a T.O.?

Not a T.O. Never used one, don't need one. Never seen one. I have done the byob, been told to GTFO as well as told others to GFY. I might actually be taking a job over in that region though. Would one fun to be a civilian there.

RobotChicken
05-14-2013, 06:05 AM
That was a pivotal moment of awakening. I drove on base, all planes were gone and I/we weren't,
Right then and there I knew it was all BS and I was base support not playing role in mission.
:becky I thought all air force planes were at the 'boneyard'; Navy had all the REAL planes and PILOTS! :clap2

giggawatt
05-14-2013, 07:11 AM

It is pretty odd for our career field to avoid, for lack of a better term, any TDY to the desert. Not AS unheard of to "avoid" a Korea assignment. I have 3 deployments to the sand box and haven't been to Korea yet. In fact, I have never been to PACAF. Got another desert TDY coming up because I am SSSSSSSSMOKING hot for a deployment.

Zxc
05-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Good call on those microfiber towels, picked up a set and already love them!

Tak
05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
That was you 985th post.

Do you think you’ll come up with one soon that doesn’t have a stupid emoticon in it?

No need to disparage an emoticon peace prize winner.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
:becky I thought all air force planes were at the 'boneyard'; Navy had all the REAL planes and PILOTS! :clap2

That was you 985th post.

Do you think you’ll come up with one soon that doesn’t have a stupid emoticon in it?

Tak
05-14-2013, 05:54 PM
That was you 985th post.

No need to disparage an emoticon peace prize winner.