PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet

VFFTSGT
05-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Maybe if we worried about handling our own weapons instead of some civilians we wouldn't be having nuke mishap after nuke mishap...

The world's first 3D-printed handgun, The Liberator, has had its liberty taken away by the government.

More than 100,000 copies of the plans were downloaded before the federal government took the files.

“[Defense Distributed's] files are being removed from public access at the request of the U.S. Department of Defense Trade Controls," read a banner atop the website. "Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”

Freedom at its finest. :ohwell

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/dod-forces-3d-gun-printer-defense-distributed-to-pull-weapon-specs-off-website/

Golther
05-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I wonder what they are going to do with the people that already have these plans? Remember once it is on the internet it will not go away.

VFFTSGT
05-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I wonder what they are going to do with the people that already have these plans? Remember once it is on the internet it will not go away.

Right...maybe there will be a rash of "accidents" soon.

Using the file, anyone with access to a 3D printer could theoretically print the gun with no serial number, background check or other regulatory hurdles.

Oh, the agony.

U.S. Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns

If the point of having it is not being detected...what good is a ban going to do?

He said the Liberator project was intended to highlight how technology can render laws and governments all but irrelevant.

:rockon

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-10-2013, 04:54 PM
OMG, the government might not have total control over law abiding citizens anymore...oh the humanity.

Zxc
05-10-2013, 05:37 PM
100k copies already downloaded? What's the point of even taking it down, it will still be in easy circulation

MrMiracle
05-10-2013, 05:40 PM
State Dept. Not the Pentagon.

TheReg pointed out a couple of amusing things about this case. A printer large enough to produce the parts costs $8000. The plastic used to produce it costs $1000, assuming you can get it printed correctly on the first try. You can buy a real, and much more reusable gun, for a lot less.

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-10-2013, 06:17 PM
State Dept. Not the Pentagon.

TheReg pointed out a couple of amusing things about this case. A printer large enough to produce the parts costs $8000. The plastic used to produce it costs $1000, assuming you can get it printed correctly on the first try. You can buy a real, and much more reusable gun, for a lot less.

You cant print multiple copies on one sheet of plastic?

Its not the cost that the government is worried about, its the fact that better, stronger guns may be produced later and they wont be able to know who has the ability stand up to a tyranical government if the need ever arose.

CYBERFX1024
05-10-2013, 06:42 PM
You both are correct. Why take it down now if so many had already got out? All it is going to do is be recirculated around different forums. Right now the most rounds a 3D printed weapon has been able to shot is 6. After that it falls apart. I do believe someone will come along and design a firearm that will overcome that in the near future.
I also believe that the only reason the Feds don't want people to have it is so that people can't just start printing guns to fight them with. I know some people will call me crazy and that's ok I don't care. But the rash of "accidents" happening to pro-gun advocates is pretty alarming to say the least. So something definitively is going on right now.

SomeRandomGuy
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
You both are correct. Why take it down now if so many had already got out? All it is going to do is be recirculated around different forums. Right now the most rounds a 3D printed weapon has been able to shot is 6. After that it falls apart. I do believe someone will come along and design a firearm that will overcome that in the near future.
I also believe that the only reason the Feds don't want people to have it is so that people can't just start printing guns to fight them with. I know some people will call me crazy and that's ok I don't care. But the rash of "accidents" happening to pro-gun advocates is pretty alarming to say the least. So something definitively going on right now.

All I have to say is that it sure seems strange that the NRA did not step up and block this. Actually wait a minute no it doesn't. The NRA is funded by gun manufacturers who depend on being the only source of producing guns.

WeaponsTSGT
05-10-2013, 07:20 PM
All I have to say is that it sure seems strange that the NRA did not step up and block this. Actually wait a minute no it doesn't. The NRA is funded by gun manufacturers who depend on being the only source of producing guns.

Does it take effort for you to come accross as an idiot or is it natural?

SomeRandomGuy
05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Does it take effort for you to come accross as an idiot or is it natural?

Quite a bit of effort. Most of my skill though has been learned from interactions with people like yourself. Right here on the internet.

Banned
05-10-2013, 09:16 PM
"Pro-gun adovcates having accidents"... I'm not familiar with this particular conspiracy theory. Someone have a link?

efmbman
05-10-2013, 10:04 PM
He said the Liberator project was intended to highlight how technology can render laws and governments all but irrelevant.

Mission accomplished.

PickYourBattles
05-12-2013, 03:40 AM
How long before one of our brilliant politicians proposes a law to ban 3D printers?

efmbman
05-12-2013, 11:50 AM
How long before one of our brilliant politicians proposes a law to ban 3D printers?

Probably not long. Once they spend millions to investigate all possible items that can be printed by way of this new technology. I doubt they have considered the ramifications to the transportation industry, but that will stir them up as well as the lobbyists.

Golther
05-12-2013, 01:56 PM
You wouldn't download a car would you?

Tak
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM

They're probably figuring how to tax it.

VFFTSGT
05-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Maybe we could print a Congress...

efmbman
05-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Perhaps maybe parts..? I bet there are ways to sell files that would allow a 1 time only printing job. You pay for the file that enables the print job and you can print the part on demand at your location. Once completed, the file is no longer usable and you would need to buy another turn at use. Much the same way an organization can purchase 1 copy of the media for Microsoft Office and 1000 site licenses.

So instead of paying to ship 1000 widgets, a company can instead distribute the one time use printer file which is transmitted over the internet, not an 18-wheeler.

VFFTSGT
05-12-2013, 05:00 PM

If we can have a 3D printer for plastics what would be impossible about a 3D printer for steel or other metal?

It could be a multi-function printer like today - instead of color cartridges, we would have steel, plastic, etc cartridges.

CYBERFX1024
05-12-2013, 06:03 PM
"Pro-gun adovcates having accidents"... I'm not familiar with this particular conspiracy theory. Someone have a link?

http://www.vice.com/read/good-news-americas-pro-gun-campaigners-are-getting-even-more-paranoid

http://www.therightperspective.org/2013/01/10/gun-advocate-murders-spark-theories/#sthash.a1iYsEer.dpbs

CYBERFX1024
05-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Hey Joe here you go.

http://www.therightperspective.org/2013/01/10/gun-advocate-murders-spark-theories/#sthash.a1iYsEer.dpbs

http://www.vice.com/read/good-news-americas-pro-gun-campaigners-are-getting-even-more-paranoid

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/01/13/ga-gun-dealer-outspoken-assault-weapon-advocate-found-murdered/

Golther
05-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Perhaps maybe parts..? I bet there are ways to sell files that would allow a 1 time only printing job. You pay for the file that enables the print job and you can print the part on demand at your location. Once completed, the file is no longer usable and you would need to buy another turn at use. Much the same way an organization can purchase 1 copy of the media for Microsoft Office and 1000 site licenses.

So instead of paying to ship 1000 widgets, a company can instead distribute the one time use printer file which is transmitted over the internet, not an 18-wheeler.

Have you seen the effort that has been put into pirating games? I highly doubt even if there was a DRM to limit a print to one use, which would be a bad idea in the first place. it would easily be cracked and widely available for free like many other pieces of software out there.

Banned
05-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Hey Joe here you go.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/01/13/ga-gun-dealer-outspoken-assault-weapon-advocate-found-murdered/

Okay so ONE gun advocate was murdered... not exactly a crime wave. If it is a government hit squad... it must be a really lazy one.

Though I do find it slightly ironic that a pro-gun advocate was himself murdered with a gun. I thought criminals were supposed to announce themselves and wear cheesy "bad guy" clothes, giving you plenty of time to pull your gun - just like in the NRA commercials.

Robert F. Dorr
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Was the U.S. government involved in creating this information? Does the U.S. government have some proprietary connection to this information? I've never before heard the government claim to own information in the way it's quoted as doing here. What's going on? How is this possible?

Tak
05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Was the U.S. government involved in creating this information? Does the U.S. government have some proprietary connection to this information? I've never before heard the government claim to own information in the way it's quoted as doing here. What's going on? How is this possible?

Duh Bob, it involves National Security!

efmbman
05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Have you seen the effort that has been put into pirating games? I highly doubt even if there was a DRM to limit a print to one use, which would be a bad idea in the first place. it would easily be cracked and widely available for free like many other pieces of software out there.

That may be... I certainly cannot dispute that. I was merely illustrating a possible use for the technology.

JD2780
05-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Okay so ONE gun advocate was murdered... not exactly a crime wave. If it is a government hit squad... it must be a really lazy one.

Though I do find it slightly ironic that a pro-gun advocate was himself murdered with a gun. I thought criminals were supposed to announce themselves and wear cheesy "bad guy" clothes, giving you plenty of time to pull your gun - just like in the NRA commercials.

That's a shocker, somebody from the government being lazy?

OtisRNeedleman
05-14-2013, 01:10 AM
If we can have a 3D printer for plastics what would be impossible about a 3D printer for steel or other metal?

It could be a multi-function printer like today - instead of color cartridges, we would have steel, plastic, etc cartridges.

We'll get there, sooner than most think. People are endlessly inventive. Most politicians are endlessly reactionary and have little clue as to what the people are doing or what they can do.

Comrade
05-14-2013, 02:59 AM
3D printing is already possible for metal, it's just not down to the price level that printers using plastic are today.

http://gyges3d.com/video/10467/3D-Systems-SLS-Selective-Laser-Sintering-overview

RobotChicken
05-14-2013, 03:53 AM
:spy HEY RFD....you worked 4 those jokers, you tell us!!!:eyebrows

BadBender
05-18-2013, 05:14 AM
I originally heard about this guy and his project a few months ago on The Blaze tv channel. I went to the site a downloaded the files for a complete AR-15 and 1911. You can find them on torrent sites so shutting down his website is a day late and a dollar short. Eventually the prices of these 3D printers and materials required will come down, as do all products eventually. There are a few YouTube videos where he shows off various components working fine.
The guys point is the government can pass all the laws they want but it won’t stop folks from acquiring these kinds of weapons. The Gov can ban everything and people will just come up with some other way to get their hands on a weapon. It isn’t about the tool being used, it’s about the person using the tool.

VFFTSGT
05-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Of all the stuff that we could try to create with a 3d printer... of course a gun would be at the top of the list.

I am pretty sure a gun was not the first thing created with a 3D printer.

I bet it wasn't even on the top of the list of things to make when the inventors of the 3D printer made it.

Way to marginalize the entire population into one guy's idea and innovation.

Banned
05-18-2013, 06:09 AM

I bet it wasn't even on the top of the list of things to make when the inventors of the 3D printer made it.

The point. You have missed it.

Banned
05-18-2013, 06:09 AM

The point. You have missed it.

Banned
05-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Of all the stuff that we could try to create with a 3d printer... of course a gun would be at the top of the list.

VFFTSGT
05-18-2013, 06:12 AM