PDA

View Full Version : Advice to the military spouse

Shaken1976
05-07-2013, 03:38 PM
What advice would you give a military spouse?
What things really irritate you at work?

Things like...Don't call 50 times. Be polite when you call. Don't sit in the parking lot all day like a psycho. Don't wear a dress that doesn't fit to an official function.

cope0181
05-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Don't get drunk at the holiday party and salute the CC. My ex actually did this.

SomeRandomGuy
05-07-2013, 03:45 PM

Things like...Don't call 50 times. Be polite when you call. Don't sit in the parking lot all day like a psycho. Don't wear a dress that doesn't fit to an official function.

It is NOT your paycheck it is HIS/HER paycheck. I understand that you may be the person who handles the budget at home but that does not mean you are allowed to come in to finance and TRY to make pay adjustments. Have you ever heard of a WAL-MART spouse dropping by payroll to make changes? No? Didn't think so! Now move out of the way so I can help someone who actually works for the DoD.

PortDawg2T2
05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Don't call me and tell me that it's unfair that I made your husband work on the weekend. It's none of your damned business. Regardless if he's scheduled to work or not I'll make up a story about how he took leave to meet with friends. The ensuing argument will almost always prevent the spouse in question from overstepping her boundaries again.

poindexter
05-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Don't sleep with someone in the squadron while your spouse is deployed and don't tape the incident either. Also, don't call your spouse every hour on the hour.

drc100882
05-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Don't hang up when I answer your spouse's phone line in the office. I know your number... I know its you. Also, don't call back right away after you hang up on me. Again... I know its you.

Don't come to an office potluck and sit at your spouse's desk while eating. We invited you because we like you. If you didn't want to talk to us, you should have stayed home.

Don't be scared to talk to my husband. You can even make eye contact with him. I won't hate you for talking to him. Really - it's ok.

If I see you offbase and I'm out of uniform, it's ok if you don't remember who I am. My leadership hardly recognizes me when I'm not in uniform (some even still look at my nametag when I'm in uniform). I'll remind you of my name and how you know me. I don't mind. But ignoring me is rude, even though you keep making eye contact with me and smile at me.

I'm not flirting with your husband. I have my own husband to flirt with. If we're laughing about something that happened at work, we're not flirting - we're laughing about something that happened at work.

ConfusedAirman
05-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't lie to defend your spouse being court-martialed for sexual assault simply to save his retirement benefits for your personal gain.

technomage1
05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Don't use your husband's subordinate as a dance pole at the squadron holiday party, even if it is during a dance contest. This happened a few years back. The husband stood like stone while his wife gyrated all over his subordiante, who was plainly uncomfortable with whole situation.

In that vein...you reflect your spouse & he or she will get into trouble if you screw around on base (or off base overseas). If you screw up and they don't get promoted you don't get that higher check, either. If you work to support your spouse it increases their chances for promotion.

Don't cheat on your spouse while they are deployed. If you want to leave them, fine, wait until they return.

Don't expect me to give your spouse time off so the both of you can take a child to a routine appointment. One or the other of you can take little Jimmy or Susie to the dentist.

Don't call me complaining your spouse is on night shift for the ORE. I don't care. He or she was selected due to work related reasons, not due to your problems.

Also don't call me complaining I picked your spouse for deployment. See the above.

Please DO call me if you need support while your spouse is deployed. I can't help if you don't let me know you need it.

sandsjames
05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Stay as far away from the military as possible. Don't get involved in spouses clubs. Don't go to squadron functions. Don't ask for a tour of your husband's/wife's work center. You don't want to know. All you'll see during these times is the Commander/shop lead/etc kissing ass and trying to look as good as possible in front of the spouses. The best way to get involved with people from the shop is away from work.

coloringoutsidethelines
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Never ever forever try to use your spouse's rank

drc100882
05-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Stay as far away from the military as possible. Don't get involved in spouses clubs. Don't go to squadron functions. Don't ask for a tour of your husband's/wife's work center. You don't want to know. All you'll see during these times is the Commander/shop lead/etc kissing ass and trying to look as good as possible in front of the spouses. The best way to get involved with people from the shop is away from work.

:usa2

My new first sergeant came from my husband's squadron and upon hearing about my separation, asked if I was joining key spouses. I said no sir, I'm staying as far away as possible from everything military. He was dumbfounded. I've since gotten 3 emails from him, forwarded from the key spouses mailing list. :frusty

ttribe
05-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Please DO call me if you need support while your spouse is deployed. I can't help if you don't let me know you need it.

It's amazing how many spouses will play martyr when the husband is out of town. "The squadron/AirForce sucks..He was gone and no one would help me"

WeaponsTSGT
05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
It's amazing how many spouses will play martyr when the husband is out of town. "The squadron/AirForce sucks..He was gone and no one would help me"

I couldn't disagree more, it's not called playing a martyr, it's called playing grown up. What you can't mow your lawn or shovel your own snow? For far too long we have created a culture of dependantcy, be responsible for your own shit.

USAF-Controller
05-07-2013, 04:59 PM
His /her rank is just that HIS/HERS. YOU as a spouse HAVE NO RANK, nor does HIS/HER rank entitle you to anything. Most important: YOU DO NOT OUTRANK OTHER SPOUSES.

Kicker47
05-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Don't wear your old prom dress to an ALS graduation, promotion ceremony, CCAF graduation, etc. Go to Walmart or Target and drop $25 on some simple nice-looking clothes. Nobody is going to be checking out the brand of your purse or shoes.

If your baby starts crying during ceremonies such as these, please quietly stand and exit the room with your baby until he or she stops crying.

Please don't gripe about "how much you hate it here" or "how upset you were when you PCS'd to this base". Yes, it sucks to have to plug in your block heater every night. We know.

Please don't threaten to "report FWA" for every little thing that the AF makes you or your husband/wife do.

Let's see how simple I can make this: Cell Phone while driving on Base = NO.

And, for God's sake, if you and your husband/wife are going to argue about the kind of canned beans you are going to buy at the Commisary, please don't do it very loudly in the middle of the aisle while other shoppers are trying to get around you.

Mcjohn1118
05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Never ever forever try to use your spouse's rank
Or say, "Do you know who my spouse is?" Because 1) If you don't know who your spouse is, how am I supposed to know? and 2)I don't care.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Don’t watch daytime television and eat Orange Circus Peanuts.

http://pics.livejournal.com/stoney321/pic/000qyase.jpg

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Don’t forget to bring your challenge coin.
http://www.usveteransmagazine.com/sites/default/files/military-spouses.jpg

cope0181
05-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Don't do anything that will get your face on the OSMW fb page or get you called a dependapotamus

meatbringer
05-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Stop bringing up your husband's rank during every conversation.

Being an officer's wife does not mean gate guards are supposed to salute you.

If your husband is a Colonel, that does not mean you are entitled to the Colonel parking spots at the BX.

Lose some f*cking weight.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tRX27XNhsz4/T61xQFjUeAI/AAAAAAAAAeM/_h_kvtdk3-E/s640/Champagne.bmp

Golther
05-07-2013, 06:03 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tRX27XNhsz4/T61xQFjUeAI/AAAAAAAAAeM/_h_kvtdk3-E/s640/Champagne.bmp

That is one scary sight.

JD2780
05-07-2013, 06:17 PM

My wife did call after she was in a nasty car wreck and couldnt mow the lawn. The yard nazi came by and hassled her to mow but she couldnt he said he didnt care who does, it just has to get done. She called my Sq because mine was usually way more helpful than hers since mine are smaller much like my balls. Nope nobody helped, and he sq said they couldnt. The AF can suck much of the time. However, that is one instance. Usually its pretty squared away.

I'm now a spouse, and dont get involved in SHIT with her unit. I want to punch most of the nerds in the neck.

I know you guys arent making this stuff up, we arent that original. I can just say I'll never do any of that crap.

Kicker47
05-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Big Girls need lovin' too. Besides, I bet she rocked that dude's world... Good for him, congrats to the happy couple!

:biggrin

SomeRandomGuy
05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm now a spouse, and dont get involved in SHIT with her unit. I want to punch most of the nerds in the neck.

I know you guys arent making this stuff up, we arent that original. I can just say I'll never do any of that crap.

Most of the things mentioned are things that military wives do. We have not really covered military husbands yet. I will start things off for you. Please do not make your wife send the kids to daycare so you can stay up late at night and then play videos games and drink beer all day. It would be best if you got a job but if not you should at least watch the kids. (not making this scenario up I saw it all the time with broke females)

Measure Man
05-07-2013, 06:35 PM
If your husband is a Colonel, that does not mean you are entitled to the Colonel parking spots at the BX.

Yeah, actually it does. :-)

meatbringer
05-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, actually it does. :-)

I'm actually not sure what the rules regarding this are, if there are any at all. But I did witness a Colonel chewing out his wife for doing this. Apparently she took the parking spot and got into an altercation about it with someone at the Commissary. It was pretty cool when he scolded her in front of everyone telling her that he is the Colonel, not her. It was the second time in my career that I actually respected the person behind the officer rank.

JD2780
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Most of the things mentioned are things that military wives do. We have not really covered military husbands yet. I will start things off for you. Please do not make your wife send the kids to daycare so you can stay up late at night and then play videos games and drink beer all day. It would be best if you got a job but if not you should at least watch the kids. (not making this scenario up I saw it all the time with broke females)

I get my son ready for school, get his lunch made, get him dressed and out the door. I watch my daughter all day then I go to the fire academy at night. I very seldom drink and play video games. My time is pretty much studying, family time, and academy days.

I've seen what your speaking about though. Glad I never really had to deal with this crap. For some reason, my guys wives and girl friends seemed to act like grown ups mostly. I only know of one that would call and yell at our NCOIC. He just hung up on her when she started yelling all the time.

meatbringer
05-07-2013, 06:51 PM
We had this psycho wife at my last base who would storm into the flight chief's office yelling about nothing. One time, she showed up with their baby and handed it to the military husband and said "You deal with her!", and stormed out and drove off. She would threaten to hurt herself if he ever deployed or got sent TDY, so the dude never got hit up for deployments. The shit was unbelievable...The real sad part was that our spineless flight chiefs just took it like chumps and bent to her will. She ran our flight. Naturally, they sent him to a cushy job that everyone wanted just to get rid of his wife. Typical Air Force.

Kicker47
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Most of the things mentioned are things that military wives do. We have not really covered military husbands yet.

If your wife is "the hot girl" in the shop, don't come to events and ceremonies looking like K-Fed on a bender. It just makes the young, horny airmen think they have a shot with your wife because you are a tool.

Tak
05-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Had a DO whose wife ran the spouse sq club, he called me a lot about issues they brought
Up to his wife...he must have known it was bs, but had to support her needs.

Big pain in the aSs. Ya think its more of a spouse bitching club, you'd be right.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2013, 07:00 PM
My first flight chief was about 5’6” inches tall and weighed maybe 130 pounds; his wife was over 300 pounds.

They got into a fight in base-housing and she blacked his eye and shoved him into a closet and barricaded the door.

The neighbors called the cops and they story was all over the squadron in a matter of minutes because he was also a cop in the same squadron.

He did get a divorce and less than a year later a new 300 pound girlfriend.

ConfusedAirman
05-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Don't give BJs to your husband's co-workers in the back of the van while he is driving everyone to a party but watching everything in the rearview mirror. (True story. 1977. Both were pigs.)

DWWSWWD
05-07-2013, 07:20 PM
It was pretty cool when he scolded her in front of everyone telling her that he is the Colonel, not her. It was the second time in my career that I actually respected the person behind the officer rank. Huh. Quickest way to lose respect in my book. I can't imagine demeaning my wife in front of anyone. And yes, she parks in our parking spot at the commissary.

Measure Man
05-07-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm actually not sure what the rules regarding this are, if there are any at all.

The courtesy spot is for the member and spouse.

But I did witness a Colonel chewing out his wife for doing this. Apparently she took the parking spot and got into an altercation about it with someone at the Commissary. It was pretty cool when he scolded her in front of everyone telling her that he is the Colonel, not her. It was the second time in my career that I actually respected the person behind the officer rank.

How embarassing for both of them.

fufu
05-07-2013, 07:38 PM
1. Get a job.

2. Understand their is life after the AF.

3. Get a job.

4. Don't bitch b/c your spouse has to do military things like: participate in exercises, go Tdy or deploy.

5. Get a job.

6. Don't be a fat sloppy dependopotamus.

7. Get a job.

LogDog
05-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Don't tell anyone you're Mrs. Col So-and-So because you're not. You are either Mrs. So-and-So or Col So-and-So's wife.

Regardless of the rank of your spouse, you don't have any authority to pull your husband's troops to help with your Spouse Club event or pet projects.

drc100882
05-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Don't push an empty stroller around the shoppette allowing your little one to run around shoeless with chocolate on their hands. Because when you do allow them to run around they run full force into my crotch because I can't see them coming from around the corner of the shelf. They also get chocolate on my uniform.

I'd say that's all, but the day isn't over yet and I have to go to the MPF.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't push an empty stroller around the shoppette allowing your little one to run around shoeless with chocolate on their hands. Because when you do allow them to run around they run full force into my crotch because I can't see them coming from around the corner of the shelf. They also get chocolate on my uniform.

I'd say that's all, but the day isn't over yet and I have to go to the MPF.

What is that a video of?

Venus
05-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Don't be this guy or bride!!!
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReu1lkui8TYUIHbPOqc-71MdSkSctAv_0EWqJOG9VIQUJAQb42hw

Venus
05-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Also make love and kiss him or her if it is like the last time because it could be.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/Cheeriotown/funeral.jpg

ttribe
05-07-2013, 08:07 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReu1lkui8TYUIHbPOqc-71MdSkSctAv_0EWqJOG9VIQUJAQb42hw

When I saw the other pic I remembered this one too. Thanks for posting.
You gotta smile though, she does look really happy.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2013, 08:09 PM

The bride is a guy in drag, right?

ttribe
05-07-2013, 08:18 PM

When I saw the other pic I remembered this one too. Thanks for posting.
You gotta smile though, she does look really happy.

Tak
05-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Also make love and kiss him or her if it is like the last time because it could be.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/Cheeriotown/funeral.jpg

Buzzkill...

Drackore
05-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Advice to the military spouse?

Go

Away!

Measure Man
05-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Don't use your husband's subordinate as a dance pole at the squadron holiday party, even if it is during a dance contest. This happened a few years back. The husband stood like stone while his wife gyrated all over his subordiante, who was plainly uncomfortable with whole situation..

Don't give BJs to your husband's co-workers in the back of the van while he is driving everyone to a party but watching everything in the rearview mirror. (True story. 1977. Both were pigs.)

God bless'em

BOSS302
05-07-2013, 11:44 PM
If your wife is "the hot girl" in the shop, don't come to events and ceremonies looking like K-Fed on a bender. It just makes the young, horny airmen think they have a shot with your wife because you are a tool.

This and the other anectode about the wife using a subordinate as a dancing pole...incredibly awkward and far too common at my previous bases. The squadron Non-Specific Winter Seasonal Celebratory Gathering was the worst.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-08-2013, 12:01 AM

LOL!

What does that make you?

Venus
05-08-2013, 03:18 AM
I think I seen her at the commissary.
http://terminallance.com/comics/2010-08-06-Strip_56_Dependapotamus_web.gif

Bunch
05-08-2013, 04:08 AM
A spouse can be a great asset to a military member. Is up to us to make sure we educate them in what aspect of our career they can be an asset not only to us but to the entire mission. Through my wife I have learned some of the following:
- Marriage problems of my troops not previously disclosed
- Abusive relationships
- Who are the psycho wives/husbands
- Financial hardship on troops
- Psycho troops
- Other spouses that can be an asset to the unit

The reality is that if a wife is clueless about simple customs, courtesies, decorum and the military life overall its probably the fault of the member. I have seen so many times how spouses don't understand some of the most basic stuff that we do on a daily basis.

My wife has been a great asset to my career, she gets involved because she really cares about the well being of others and thanks to her I have been able to deal with situations before they become a bigger issue.

Tak
05-08-2013, 04:20 AM
if your husband deploys:
1) speak english
2) have drivers license
3) dont sleep around

imported_Sgt HULK
05-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Jesus fuck. In 10 yrs I've never seen nor heard any of these stories you guys are telling. No wonder you all hate the service

ConfusedAirman
05-08-2013, 09:04 AM
LOL!

What does that make you?

I wasn't in the van - already at the party. But when the van got there the four guys from the back of the van all shared the same story. Three were in the back with the wife, two took advantage, and one was riding shotgun with the husband. The husband was offering up his wife after the party to the guy riding shotgun. Not sure if I would have believed it if not for the husband corroborating the entire thing while one of the guys who did partake was telling me. The husband ended up being kicked out for drug possession. She actually wasn't bad-looking but the entire idea gave this then innocent 18y/o the heebee jeebees.

Sergeant eNYgma
05-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Doesn't fit? As in tight? I've seen some some tight dresses...I've approved everytime...now the other extreme I haven't seen thankfully...

Sergeant eNYgma
05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Also let me add as advice don't ever utter this line from a meme on facebook I saw a couple weeks ago. It went something like...

"Congrats on the promotion honey, what rank are we now"?

^^^^^ ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tak
05-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Doesn't fit? As in tight? I've seen some some tight dresses...I've approved everytime...now the other extreme I haven't seen thankfully...

Doesnt fit, like back of a Volkswagen.

Shaken1976
05-08-2013, 01:46 PM

We had a wife about 5'6 and about 250 wearing a dress that her ass and boobs spilled out of. I swear it was like a size 2 on someone who needed a 16.

sandsjames
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
A spouse can be a great asset to a military member. Is up to us to make sure we educate them in what aspect of our career they can be an asset not only to us but to the entire mission. Through my wife I have learned some of the following:
- Abusive relationships
- Psycho troops

The reality is that if a wife is clueless about simple customs, courtesies, decorum and the military life overall its probably the fault of the member. I have seen so many times how spouses don't understand some of the most basic stuff that we do on a daily basis.

My wife has been a great asset to my career, she gets involved because she really cares about the well being of others and thanks to her I have been able to deal with situations before they become a bigger issue.

This sounds like a spouse who will become extremely involved in shit he/she doesn't need to. There's only 1 custom/courtesy my wife needs to be aware of...stop when retreat sounds. Other than that, she doesn't need to know anything. She needs to know as much about the military as the average civilian spouse needs to know about the company/people his/her spouse works for. Can you imagine, at a company, if a wife tried to get involved at all? The husband would get fired in a heartbeat. The military should be no different.

sandsjames
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
We had a wife about 5'6 and about 250 wearing a dress that her ass and boobs spilled out of. I swear it was like a size 2 on someone who needed a 16.

Fat chicks need love too...plus they are much more grateful and try a lot harder to please. Just don't want to take them out in public.

CYBERFX1024
05-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Don't start listening to bitch next door about shit. Believe it or not you can't just go up and tell my CO that you don't like that I had to work late or have duty.
What works at one command doesn't necessarily work at another one.

Don't call your spouse's work all the time trying to see if I am there or not. My fellow Marines will start getting pissed off and just hang up on you.

SENDBILLMONEY
05-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Don't do the stuff I saw recently from the wife of an Air Force member:

1. Referring to oneself as "a superior's wife."
2. Telling a military member "should have watched what you said to their superiors, especially their wives."
3. Asking a military member for his or her rank in social media, followed rapidly by "never mind I got it."
4. Making any pronouncements or veiled threats about the UCMJ that aren't based on personal reading and comprehension of the material in question. Example: Parroting one's military husband's boneheaded claim that an Air Force member can be prosecuted under Article 134 for "failure to control dependents" because other civilian spouses are saying bad things about you.

Punchline: The person who did the above is married to a staff sergeant.

Bonus:
5. Unless you hold your own military status, don't take the term "military spouse" as anything more than shorthand for "spouse of someone in the military."
6. Unless you hold your own military status, you are a civilian. Don't refer to others as "civilians" in a manner implying that you're not. Military status is not a venereally transmitted condition.
7. Unless you hold your own military status, you have no military rank and thus cannot "outrank" anyone. You might hold a civilian position giving you authority over military members, but you hold no military rank. "Dependent" is not a position giving you authority. If you're wearing clothing or have bumper stickers with phrases like "don't confuse your rank with my authority" or "Army wife Army wife coming on through, if you're in the Army I OUTRANK YOU" we're all going to laugh at you.
8. It's okay to ask if a business extends military discounts to dependents. It's not okay to throw a fit if the answer is "no" or if it's only on certain days other than the one you're there. Accept "no" or the business's other restrictions with good grace.
9. Anyone, military, veteran, or dependent carrying a military "brag bag" purse made of ACU material with grade insignia, name and service branch tape deserves open and sustained mockery. Actually, nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

FuelShopTech
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Don't wear stretch pants everywhere.

Don't go to the on-base gym and then spend the entire time sitting on equipment and talking on your cell phone.

Don't crap out more kids than you can afford to pay for.

DO NOT volunteer to provide the entertainment at squadron functions. You suck way worse than you think you do.

Sergeant eNYgma
05-08-2013, 02:51 PM

O...God...lol...

FuelShopTech
05-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Oh, and don't go on the base Facebook page and trash the Wing King.

Your husband can and will be punched in the pee-pee for that.

SENDBILLMONEY
05-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Every mornin' at the Starbucks you could see her arrive
She stood five foot six and weighed 245
Kinda broad in the shoulders and wide at the hip
And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big Dawn ...

coloringoutsidethelines
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
My Spouse was a military brat and I think it really helped her be more grounded and not an idiot

She is a member of the spouse's Facebook page at my base here and that thing is out of control. there are spouses breaking every rule you folks are mentioning on there. She doesn't post much because they even drive her crazy.

FuelShopTech
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Every mornin' at the Starbucks you could see her arrive
She stood five foot six and weighed 245
Kinda broad in the shoulders and wide at the hip
And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big Dawn ...

:spit

That's going to be stuck in my head all day.

Rusty Jones
05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
If your spouse does not like the military wants to get out, shut your fucking trap and let him or her get out. You like the money and the benefits? Then why don't YOU take your ass to the recruiter's office, and YOU sign up.

Tak
05-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Love when disgruntled women call first sergeant.

USN - Retired
05-08-2013, 03:42 PM
9. Anyone, military, veteran, or dependent carrying a military "brag bag" purse made of ACU material with grade insignia, name and service branch tape deserves open and sustained mockery. Actually, nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/397894_350034181692253_1260036090_n.jpg

WeaponsTSGT
05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
- Abusive relationships
- Psycho troops

For whatever reason you're confused. It's not the wives that are unaware and clueless that are the problem, it's the others, the ones that know AFI's, the rank structure, and customs and courtesies. I have been married for 19 years, almost 2 when I enlisted, I have been on 2 remotes and several deployments and my wife thinks it's cool that I have one stripe up top even though she forgets the name of my rank from time to time. More trouble has been caused by wives that are "involved" than those that know no more than where the BX is and the phone number to your desk. If you need someone to let you know who's having marriage/finance problems then sounds like you're having trust issues with subordinates.

MACHINE666
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
LOSE WEIGHT!!!!

And keep your damn kids outta my way!

:D :D :D :D :D

MACHINE666
05-08-2013, 05:33 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/397894_350034181692253_1260036090_n.jpg

Heh.

I wonder if her call-sign is "Meat"?

:D :D :D :D :D

Bunch
05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
This sounds like a spouse who will become extremely involved in shit he/she doesn't need to. There's only 1 custom/courtesy my wife needs to be aware of...stop when retreat sounds. Other than that, she doesn't need to know anything. She needs to know as much about the military as the average civilian spouse needs to know about the company/people his/her spouse works for. Can you imagine, at a company, if a wife tried to get involved at all? The husband would get fired in a heartbeat. The military should be no different.

I have to disagree fully with you. Talking specifically about the spouses who usually give the most trouble I can say without a doubt that are those who are less educated/aware about what we do and usually those tend to be the younger spouses. The fault for that rest on the member. If a spouse wants to be involved or not that their prerogative, I don't go and tell my wife to go get involved in organizations that provide social good thats her decision and I will not preclude her for doing so, and if during those interactions she can identify problems that are affecting our airmen then I'm glad that she is there to provide sound advice to these young airmen and mainly spouses who sometimes don't know where to go for help.

Your problem in trying to compare the Air Force to a private company is the WE ARE NOT A PRIVATE COMPANY...and it's about time that people like you and many of our leaders recognize that.

Bunch
05-08-2013, 08:12 PM
For whatever reason you're confused. It's not the wives that are unaware and clueless that are the problem, it's the others, the ones that know AFI's, the rank structure, and customs and courtesies. I have been married for 19 years, almost 2 when I enlisted, I have been on 2 remotes and several deployments and my wife thinks it's cool that I have one stripe up top even though she forgets the name of my rank from time to time. More trouble has been caused by wives that are "involved" than those that know no more than where the BX is and the phone number to your desk. If you need someone to let you know who's having marriage/finance problems then sounds like you're having trust issues with subordinates.

I'm not "confused" I'm talking from experience. I'm talking because I can see how almost every other week a situation that could have develop into something serious was addressed at the lowest level. People hear about the crazy story that makes the paper...the suicides, the airmen that attack a spouse, the kid that die because one parent was deployed and the spouse went crazy...what people don't hear is about those cases that are detected early and are identified and resolved before they reach that level, before it makes the papers. Usually is because someone felt confident to speaking to another person and is during some of these spouse support groups or other social groups that many of these issues are ID.

Now I wont sit here and say there are no crazy spouses, sure they are, like I said earlier I truly beleive the majority of them tend to be young, unaware and uneducated about what is it that their spouse commitment to the military means. Also there would be the ones that think "they know it all" who really are as equally uneducated and all they do is to create trouble, this type usually are more of an annoyance than anything. The real sad stuff is usually seen in the younger demographics.

My bigger point is that is up to us to make sure that we communicate to our younger troops about this. There is no reason why a military spouse should ask you why we have to work on a Saturday, on Christmas or whatever. It says more about us that we have spouses that dont know how to conduct themselves than what it says about them.

So yeah...the joke is on US!!

sandsjames
05-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I have to disagree fully with you. Talking specifically about the spouses who usually give the most trouble I can say without a doubt that are those who are less educated/aware about what we do and usually those tend to be the younger spouses. The fault for that rest on the member. If a spouse wants to be involved or not that their prerogative, I don't go and tell my wife to go get involved in organizations that provide social good thats her decision and I will not preclude her for doing so, and if during those interactions she can identify problems that are affecting our airmen then I'm glad that she is there to provide sound advice to these young airmen and mainly spouses who sometimes don't know where to go for help.

Your problem in trying to compare the Air Force to a private company is the WE ARE NOT A PRIVATE COMPANY...and it's about time that people like you and many of our leaders recognize that.

My wife never calls the shop. She has never come by the office. She hangs out with people where we live, not where I work. There have been ZERO drama issues with coworkers. My wife has no concern about problems affecting our airmen. It's none of her business. There is no advice she needs to offer.

Then we've got the spouse who calls daily, stops by regularly, gets involved in everyone's business and talks like she knows the job. She offers advice all the time and it makes it very awkward with her husband because we all want to tell her to STFU and punch her in the mouth.

Bunch
05-08-2013, 09:57 PM
My wife never calls the shop. She has never come by the office. She hangs out with people where we live, not where I work. There have been ZERO drama issues with coworkers. My wife has no concern about problems affecting our airmen. It's none of her business. There is no advice she needs to offer.

Then we've got the spouse who calls daily, stops by regularly, gets involved in everyone's business and talks like she knows the job. She offers advice all the time and it makes it very awkward with her husband because we all want to tell her to STFU and punch her in the mouth.

Well thats one incident like many others presented here, thats more of an annoyance than anything, should it be corrected by the spouse?...YES!!! Should we throw a blanket statement that ALL SPOUSES that get involved in military life, causes and issues do that?...NO, because there are a lot of others spouses that do great job for the military community.

I think that you are getting confused with what I mean by "getting involved". I use the term "getting involved" not in the daily drama of our workplace, issues like: why someone has to work a certain day or certain amount of hours, or excersises and such things. Those are items that you can say a spouse has no business in and I agree with that. What I mean by "getting involved" is being part of any type of social group that can provide support or/and assistance to others.

RobotChicken
05-09-2013, 01:00 AM
:hat Somebody needs to write up her husband for her hands in her pockets...:attention

OtisRNeedleman
05-09-2013, 01:17 AM
If you are married to a missile launch officer on his/her first assignment to Minot don't expect to see your spouse stay in the AF after the assignment.

Tak
05-09-2013, 01:29 AM
If you are married to a missile launch officer on his/her first assignment to Minot don't expect to see your spouse stay in the AF after the assignment.

Dont leave out missile chefs, I lost track of how many got kicked out, rolled back or seperated.
Seen a few facility managers get out. One I helped step to TSgt, he's out now.

Your average chef and fm works in field 180 days a year, for sometimes 4+ years,
That's 2 Years deployed out of 4, but its not called deployed,
No special pay, tour credit, follow on, etc...no deployment credit,
Cuz your only hours away from home behind a fence with armed guards.

Due to manning instead of 72 hr tours I saw as many as
10 day tours done by fms.

I ended with over 400 days in field, many as a MSgt sq supr.
And was sq impact card purchaser with 14 additional duties.

RobotChicken
05-09-2013, 04:32 AM
:dance Major in pole dancing,live off what 'machine666' and I pay you...:lock1

Drackore
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
But...but...what about our Key Spouses!!! They serve important roles in our units!!!! They must be saluted and praised and asskissed!!!! OMG how dare you marginalize their importance to the success of the unit mission or the defense of our nation!!!

TJMAC77SP
05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I couldn't disagree more, it's not called playing a martyr, it's called playing grown up. What you can't mow your lawn or shovel your own snow? For far too long we have created a culture of dependantcy, be responsible for your own shit.

I think the other poster's comments referred to spouses who need real help with real problems and don't reach out to the unit for help (but then bash the unit and military for not helping). The military is NOT civilian life and we ARE SUPPOSED to help our members AND their families. I do see your point about some who think they should be hand-held all the time.

TJMAC77SP
05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Don't lie to defend your spouse being court-martialed for sexual assault simply to save his retirement benefits for your personal gain.

I am sure there is a good story there.

TJMAC77SP
05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
The courtesy spot is for the member and spouse.

How embarassing for both of them.

You are right. The decal is what makes it legal. On the other hand I have defended many a troop for not saluting an officer's wife and especially teenaged kid when the gate guard positively identified them and the sponsor was not in the vehicle. Most senior leadership will stop short of insisting you salute their spouses and kids (at least out loud).

TJMAC77SP
05-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Is that kid in an ROTC uniform

TJMAC77SP
05-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Truthfully its not the bag that bothers me but the rank. There is only one reason that I can think of to include that and it is douchebaggery at its worst.

(sorry for the post bombs....I just caught up on this 9 page thread)

ConfusedAirman
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
I am sure there is a good story there.

Aviano IG.

Tak
05-09-2013, 01:42 PM
No such thing as a key spouse!!!

sandsjames
05-09-2013, 01:43 PM
They can't make you do that.

I didn't do it. They said we had to. The form had a box you could tick that said "I choose not to be contacted" and had to be signed by the spouse, but still had all the contact information. I never turned it in. I still get emails and tell them I'm working on it.

It's just their way of trying to have proof that they "care" if anything goes wrong.

sandsjames
05-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Well thats one incident like many others presented here, thats more of an annoyance than anything, should it be corrected by the spouse?...YES!!! Should we throw a blanket statement that ALL SPOUSES that get involved in military life, causes and issues do that?...NO, because there are a lot of others spouses that do great job for the military community.

I think that you are getting confused with what I mean by "getting involved". I use the term "getting involved" not in the daily drama of our workplace, issues like: why someone has to work a certain day or certain amount of hours, or excersises and such things. Those are items that you can say a spouse has no business in and I agree with that. What I mean by "getting involved" is being part of any type of social group that can provide support or/and assistance to others.

Screw that...I'm so tired of "key spouses" trying to reach my wife. Hell, we were even "required" by our commander to fill out a form with our spouses name, email address, etc, so they could give it to the key spouse (or as I like to call it, wife of the dude in the squadron nobody likes).

JD2780
05-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Screw that...I'm so tired of "key spouses" trying to reach my wife. Hell, we were even "required" by our commander to fill out a form with our spouses name, email address, etc, so they could give it to the key spouse (or as I like to call it, wife of the dude in the squadron nobody likes).

They can't make you do that.

Tak
05-09-2013, 01:48 PM

JD2780
05-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I didn't do it. They said we had to. The form had a box you could tick that said "I choose not to be contacted" and had to be signed by the spouse, but still had all the contact information. I never turned it in. I still get emails and tell them I'm working on it.

It's just their way of trying to have proof that they "care" if anything goes wrong.

All the information they need is on the recall roster.

JD2780
05-09-2013, 01:52 PM

All the information they need is on the recall roster.

Kicker47
05-09-2013, 01:56 PM

This chick looks like Vigo, the "Scourge of Carpathia"

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100418163248/villains/images/f/f7/Vigo.png

Measure Man
05-09-2013, 02:56 PM
You are right. The decal is what makes it legal.

We don't even use the decal anymore...pretty much just an honor system.

On the other hand I have defended many a troop for not saluting an officer's wife and especially teenaged kid when the gate guard positively identified them and the sponsor was not in the vehicle. Most senior leadership will stop short of insisting you salute their spouses and kids (at least out loud).

Wasn't there a thread about that awhile ago...spouse wrote in to Commander's Action Line complaining that the gate guards don't salute her...and he wrote an awesome reply that she was not to be saluted?

SomeRandomGuy
05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Wasn't there a thread about that awhile ago...spouse wrote in to Commander's Action Line complaining that the gate guards don't salute her...and he wrote an awesome reply that she was not to be saluted?

At WPAFB they have a spot for Honor Guard members/Quarterly Award winners. Pretty much anyone could park there and say "I thought you meant squadron quarterly award winner" or "I used to be in Honor guard so I am good right?"

Measure Man
05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Ahhh...here it is:

Reminds me of this question in the base paper posed by a Navy Warrant Officer's wife at Naval Base Ventura County Point Mugu, California:

QUESTION

What is the deal with the gate guards not surrendering salutes to officer’s vehicles? I don’t think an admiral’s wife or your wife would appreciate that either. We’ve worked hard to get here and should be recognized. They learned to recognize your vehicles. On every base I’ve been on they have a sign WE RENDER SALUTES PROUDLY. Here they work on trying not to salute the vehicle if the active duty member is not present. Isn’t it by UCMJ code they are supposed to render a salute to an officer? The vehicle has a sticker so why do they not (salute) whether or not the active duty member is present or not?
Fill me in!! DO THEY NOT TRAIN THESE PEOPLE ANY MORE?? If not, I see more and more laxness going on in this military. A CWO wife.

Now, the base commander's response was hilarious and appropriate:

ANSWER

Wow. That’s quite a sense of entitlement you have. Are you sure a salute is sufficient? Perhaps a curtsy or a genuflect would be more appropriate? We could have one sentry prostrate himself before you while the other fetches some oats for that high horse you’re riding.

First, the irony of addressing what you perceive to be an issue of respect in such a disrespectful tone is not lost.

Secondly, since you specifically brought her into the dialogue, my wife thinks your question indicates a regrettably narrow perspective.

Third, yes, we have training which encompasses many things for which a post sentry is responsible and accountable, primarily focused on force protection, anti-terrorism, law enforcement, defense of critical assets and infrastructure, and the use of lethal force. But thanks for asking.

Fourth, if you consider standing a post 65-70 hours a week as “laxness,” then I invite you to put on your winter coat and go stand on the asphalt in front of your house for four hours holding your vacuum cleaner when the temperature reaches 85 degrees. That will give you some very small sense of what it is like to man a post, without of course the lethal responsibility.

Salutes are a custom between military members dating back as far as Roman times when soldiers approached each other in a manner to indicate they were not armed. The custom evolved over many centuries in many militaries, but it has always been a custom exclusively between military members. It is also important to understand that the salute is a custom of mutual respect, not subservience. That is why both members salute. It is customary (and required under Navy regulations) for the junior to render (not “surrender”) the salute first, but the senior member must return the salute promptly and in the same manner. This tangibly expresses the reciprocal respect among military members. NBVC sentries will render salutes to properly identified officers, active or retired, immediately upon identification. The salute was never intended as recognition of, or as a reward for, your “hard work to get here.” While I certainly value that hard work and your support of your husband’s military career, along with the sacrifice it entails, you ma’am are compensated in other ways for those achievements and accomplishments.

You rate many things other than a salute as a dedicated Navy wife, our gratitude, appreciation, and respect among them. I sincerely hope, expect, and require that you are always treated courteously and professionally on our bases. I would ask that you give the sentries their due as well rather than leaping to the most cynical of all conclusions when our execution is imperfect.

By Capt. Brad Conners, NBVC commanding officer

Tak
05-09-2013, 03:12 PM
True story, out at my missile alert facility, ccs wife had been out decorating and
Rearranging furniture, we changed it to the way we need it, next time cc comes
Out gets pissed, says momma won't be happy (he was from Texas) and I spoke
Up and said I did it, minute of uncomfortable silence, do cracked a joke, but cc was pissed.

Same guy later, we bought MLB package, I put sticker sign saying we had it, so cops
And others would know, he took it off, said don't put a sticker on my $600 stone coffee
Table.

Also had a female cc, I'd get her onsite, straight to women's bathroom and full report on its condition.

Sometimes facility of year decided by one dead fly In ceiling light fixture or magazine in john.
As a MSgt sq supr, I needed special permission to drive by myself in summer.
Gotta call before leaving, when you get there, when you leave and upon base return.
ORM nightmare in 91 og.

TJMAC77SP
05-09-2013, 03:16 PM

I don't remember the thread but it comes up every once in awhile. Kudos to the CC who has a firm grasp on reality.

Bunch
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM

First, no one can make you do that, like I said my wife volunteers out of her own accord so your wife can do also what she pleases and that's fine and no one should be recognized or made felt more important than the other by any unit, group, wing, command. But just because you don't find a use for social groups it doesn't mean that others don't and thats my point. I have heard all of you bitching about spouses and the type of annoying things they do, most of it is kind of fun to read, mostly because it reflect badly on us. But you should also think about those who benefit from our spouses.

I remember this young Army couple in our base, they were so young that they could almost be my son and daughter. She was pregnant and just out of courtesy my wife and another NCO's wife that were with us said congratulations and starting to share stories about pregnancies and all that. In just a simple involvement like that we come to find out:
-The young lady and member come from a broken families and had no family support
-She didn't knew some of the most simplest details about preparing for motherhood
-Husband is new to the Army that he is afraid to reach out for help through his CoC

They talk to her for almost an hour, she came and participated in groups activities, got set up with parenting classes, baby shower got set up, when she gave birth that place was packed with people that cared, no one was expecting a pat on the back or an award of any sort, just the joy that we took part of something special. The kid is growing healthy and has like 20 aunts and uncles around base many of whom where there for his first baseball game. Situations like that are the ones that could easily take a turn for the worst and make it to the newspapers and then we all be raising our fists in disgust asking questions like: why this wasn't caught earlier?, how the supervisor didn't knew?,how parents don't know how to be good parents?

I can understand that many of you have it good. Your spouses are perfect, they don't have issues and don't give you any. The mere thought that people might need some for of support disgust you because many of you here share the philosophy that people should be left to their own devises and whatever happens so be it. If its not that maybe then you just want to be blind to the fact that not everyone has it as good as you, that just because manage to have it good everyone should be able to replicate that also and if they can't is because they are lazy.

I think I have derailed enough from its orginal purpose as a last parting shot I will contribute with some of my own advice to spouses:
- If you are been mentally, physically or feel abused in any other way by the service member seek help
- If you have no knowledge about any kind of issues seek help
- Don't think that no one cares because there are always people that care

cope0181
05-09-2013, 04:15 PM

ISR Agency actually has a competetion to name a key spouse of the year.

fufu
05-10-2013, 01:19 AM
We might know some of the same peeps.

AF Comm Guy
05-10-2013, 02:21 AM

Aww, I kind of like these bags though maybe the rank should go. My former commander's wife made a bunch of these for the unit spouses before he retired. My daughter uses it as a school bag and loves it.

I must have the coolest wife on earth because the nightmares I'm reading about here have never happened. I've definitely known a few of the psycho spouses though and I never could figure out what the member was thinking when they got married. Usually it is wives but there have been a couple of dependent husbands who were also total douches.

TREYSLEDGE
05-10-2013, 07:21 AM
In a career field that its officer and many enlisted AFSCs are stressed due to deployments and undermanning, I've seen first hand when spouses who understand how the military works are very helpful to other spouses and families when the servicemember is deployed. Especially for the younger airmen.

Yes, we've all seen and heard of the few idiot spouses who either powertrip or are serious douchbags, but disparaging all spouses for wanting to help during squadron social functions and help out young spouses who are going through their first deployment and are far away from home (many with young children) marginalizes the good that spouses can do.

I've been in the Air Force longer than I'd like to admit and have been to several different types of bases. I guess I'm lucky that my career field does a good job of taking care of our "family." At my last squadron all the Key Spouses were wives of enlisted members, a civilian spouse and one officer's spouse. They made sure to explian to other spouses that their is no rank in the group that they are their for help and support if wanted. Those that did not want to be contacted were not contacted. These ladies helped babysit for spouses of deployed members so they could have a night out. They helped provide meals during times of hardship. They did not get involved in personal issues and left those to the Commander and First Sergeant. They kept their focus on helping people. A couple of the "do not contact" spouses later admitted that they saw the good they were doing and helped out themselves. Yes, I know this isn't always the case, but as mentioned by someone earlier the servicemember needs to educate their spouses on how the military works.

I've been to a missile base where the wing commander's wife told some spouses from the support group that missileers have it worse than any other career field. My wife asked how only being gone for one day at a time and only a few days a month (I know that SFS, chefs and facility managers go longer and more often), is harder than having your spouse gone for 6 months at a time. She said because of the job stress and training. She obviously was not educated on how the rest of the Air Force works. Needless to say, not many spouses liked her and many thought that all officer spouses were like that. It took some time after she left for them to realize it was HER personnality not that of all officer spouses.

So again, servicemembers need to educate thier spouses and make sure they know where they should and shouldn't be involved (especially officers wives so they don't assume the rank or authority of their spouse).

drc100882
05-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day everyone!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/05/09/presidential-proclamation-military-spouse-appreciation-day-2013

GoatDriver57
05-12-2013, 04:07 AM
First, no one can make you do that, like I said my wife volunteers out of her own accord so your wife can do also what she pleases and that's fine and no one should be recognized or made felt more important than the other by any unit, group, wing, command. But just because you don't find a use for social groups it doesn't mean that others don't and thats my point. I have heard all of you bitching about spouses and the type of annoying things they do, most of it is kind of fun to read, mostly because it reflect badly on us. But you should also think about those who benefit from our spouses.

I remember this young Army couple in our base, they were so young that they could almost be my son and daughter. She was pregnant and just out of courtesy my wife and another NCO's wife that were with us said congratulations and starting to share stories about pregnancies and all that. In just a simple involvement like that we come to find out:
-The young lady and member come from a broken families and had no family support
-She didn't knew some of the most simplest details about preparing for motherhood
-Husband is new to the Army that he is afraid to reach out for help through his CoC

They talk to her for almost an hour, she came and participated in groups activities, got set up with parenting classes, baby shower got set up, when she gave birth that place was packed with people that cared, no one was expecting a pat on the back or an award of any sort, just the joy that we took part of something special. The kid is growing healthy and has like 20 aunts and uncles around base many of whom where there for his first baseball game. Situations like that are the ones that could easily take a turn for the worst and make it to the newspapers and then we all be raising our fists in disgust asking questions like: why this wasn't caught earlier?, how the supervisor didn't knew?,how parents don't know how to be good parents?

I can understand that many of you have it good. Your spouses are perfect, they don't have issues and don't give you any. The mere thought that people might need some for of support disgust you because many of you here share the philosophy that people should be left to their own devises and whatever happens so be it. If its not that maybe then you just want to be blind to the fact that not everyone has it as good as you, that just because manage to have it good everyone should be able to replicate that also and if they can't is because they are lazy.

I think I have derailed enough from its orginal purpose as a last parting shot I will contribute with some of my own advice to spouses:
- If you are been mentally, physically or feel abused in any other way by the service member seek help
- If you have no knowledge about any kind of issues seek help
- Don't think that no one cares because there are always people that care

Very good post along with post 107.