PDA

View Full Version : Teal Ribbons

Absinthe Anecdote
05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.afisr.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/120402-F-UV300-033copy.jpg

Col. Michael Harasimowicz, 70th ISR Wing vice commander, ties the first teal ribbon to be displayed in front of building 9805, April 3, at Fort George G. Meade, Md., to promote Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The color teal and the teal ribbon is the nationally recognized symbol of sexual assault awareness. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Samuel Daub)

This is an excellent idea!

I think putting teal colored ribbons around trees will do a lot to promote sexual assault awareness.

Does anyone know where I can get a few cases of these ribbons?

Tak
05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.afisr.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/120402-F-UV300-033copy.jpg

Col. Michael Harasimowicz, 70th ISR Wing vice commander, ties the first teal ribbon to be displayed in front of building 9805, April 3, at Fort George G. Meade, Md., to promote Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The color teal and the teal ribbon is the nationally recognized symbol of sexual assault awareness. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Samuel Daub)

This is an excellent idea!

I think putting teal colored ribbons around trees will do a lot to promote sexual assault awareness.

Does anyone know where I can get a few cases of these ribbons?

Maybe tie them on "junk."

imported_DannyJ
05-05-2013, 06:46 PM
AF dollars at work ladies and gentlemen. Bet all the ribbons could have paid to keep an airman...

efmbman
05-05-2013, 06:59 PM
This strikes me as odd considering that sexual assault is such a huge problem in the military, affecting readiness, morale, and threatens the camaraderie that the military service is based upon. Plus, it is just wrong wrong wrong. I do not disagree with any of that - I do feel it is wrong.Why does anyone think that a ribbon (regardless of color) is the way solve this problem? Until the services take a disciplinary stand (instead of just talking about it) and truly show to the force that this will not be tolerated by anyone of any rank, this problem is here to stay.

Golther
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
This strikes me as odd considering that sexual assault is such a huge problem in the military, affecting readiness, morale, and threatens the camaraderie that the military service is based upon. Plus, it is just wrong wrong wrong. I do not disagree with any of that - I do feel it is wrong.Why does anyone think that a ribbon (regardless of color) is the way solve this problem? Until the services take a disciplinary stand (instead of just talking about it) and truly show to the force that this will not be tolerated by anyone of any rank, this problem is here to stay.

Because it raises awareness, because we as military members have no idea that sexual assault exists.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I like the idea for several reasons:

1) It promotes sexual assault awareness

2) The color teal looks great alongside the ABU and sage green boots

3) Tying these ribbons around trees will provide airmen with a great EPR bullet and a chance to serve the military community

4) Raising money to buy more ribbons will provide SNCOs a great opportunity to showcase their leadership skills

I’m going to suggest that we go overboard and create a multitude of ribbon colors to champion every imaginable cause.

We can just invent new fancy color names if we start running low on colors, like the Crayola Crayon Company did, Circus Peanut Orange for military spouse awareness month, that sort of thing.
Just think of all the elaborate ribbon tying ceremonies you can plan and put in your EPRs! There are too many good leadership opportunities to count.

OtisRNeedleman
05-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I like the idea for several reasons:

1) It promotes sexual assault awareness

2) The color teal looks great alongside the ABU and sage green boots

3) Tying these ribbons around trees will provide airmen with a great EPR bullet and a chance to serve the military community

4) Raising money to buy more ribbons will provide SNCOs a great opportunity to showcase their leadership skills

I’m going to suggest that we go overboard and create a multitude of ribbon colors to champion every imaginable cause.

We can just invent new fancy color names if we start running low on colors, like the Crayola Crayon Company did, Circus Peanut Orange for military spouse awareness month, that sort of thing.
Just think of all the elaborate ribbon tying ceremonies you can plan and put in your EPRs! There are too many good leadership opportunities to count.

I'm sure you're just shitting us.

I realize I'm geezing again, but during my time on active duty wasn't aware of a major sexual assault issue in the AF. Never heard of any. None of my troops, at least the ones I supervised, committed any that I knew of.

Tying ribbons on trees is eyewash and politically-correct bullshit. EVERY month needs to be Sexual Assault Awareness month. However, there certainly is no need to categorize every male airman as a potential rapist. Just get this real simple message out...EVERYONE BEHAVE AS PROFESSIONALS. Those who do not will be in trouble and will be dealt with accordingly. And if I were CSAF I wouldn't want my commanders or JAGs at any level to go on witch hunts. Investigate every accusation thoroughly and professionally. Treat all victims and suspects professionally. Don't court-martial if the evidence isn't there. Don't go for Article 15s if the evidence isn't there. While accusations backed up by solid evidence need to be prosecuted, false accusations would also be prosecuted.

I'm just tired of seeing "awareness" of things people should know not to do in the first place.

efmbman
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Because it raises awareness, because we as military members have no idea that sexual assault exists.I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic...

Absinthe Anecdote
05-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm sure you're just shitting us.

I realize I'm geezing again, but during my time on active duty wasn't aware of a major sexual assault issue in the AF. Never heard of any. None of my troops, at least the ones I supervised, committed any that I knew of.

Tying ribbons on trees is eyewash and politically-correct bullshit. EVERY month needs to be Sexual Assault Awareness month. However, there certainly is no need to categorize every male airman as a potential rapist. Just get this real simple message out...EVERYONE BEHAVE AS PROFESSIONALS. Those who do not will be in trouble and will be dealt with accordingly. And if I were CSAF I wouldn't want my commanders or JAGs at any level to go on witch hunts. Investigate every accusation thoroughly and professionally. Treat all victims and suspects professionally. Don't court-martial if the evidence isn't there. Don't go for Article 15s if the evidence isn't there. While accusations backed up by solid evidence need to be prosecuted, false accusations would also be prosecuted.

I'm just tired of seeing "awareness" of things people should know not to do in the first place.

Although you make perfect sense, I like the ribbon campaign better.

Your common sense approach misses the boat when it comes to providing a venue for me to plan elaborate ceremonies to make my airmen attend.

I can take one of these ribbon ceremonies and make it sound like something completely different and tremendously important in an EPR bullet.

What you call eyewash is what I call an opportunity to excel and what you call politically correct bullshit is what I call being caring and empathetic to the problems our airmen face.

Those ribbons are not mere tokens but are quantifiable actions a modern SNCO can use to stratify themselves against other SNCOs.

Otis my friend, we will have to agree to disagree on this.

However, to show my continued respect and admiration for you, I intend to launch a retiree awareness campaign and tie Faded Glory Silver ribbons all over the base next month.

Robert F. Dorr
05-05-2013, 10:48 PM
If anyone cares about stopping sex assaults (which is what they apparently mean when they say sexual assault), the solution is to throw a few people in the slammer. How often does that happen?

As for the picture and the ribbon, the lunatics are running the asylum. And why does that O-6 look like he's been out raking leaves?

OtisRNeedleman
05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
If anyone cares about stopping sex assaults (which is what they apparently mean when they say sexual assault), the solution is to throw a few people in the slammer. How often does that happen?

As for the picture and the ribbon, the lunatics are running the asylum. And why does that O-6 look like he's been out raking leaves?

And not only do you throw them in the slammer, the throwing gets widely publicized. Message gets around REAL fast.

KellyinAvon
05-05-2013, 10:58 PM

Roger that Bob, roger that.

FuelShopTech
05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm going to wear a teal ribbon to make people aware that if they try to sexually assault me, I'm going to crush their genitals.

Vrake
05-05-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm going to wear a teal ribbon to make people aware that if they try to sexually assault me, I'm going to crush their genitals.

^^^^ Golden!!

Well played.

Capt Alfredo
05-06-2013, 12:59 AM
9805 is within spitting distance of the scene of quite a few sexual assaults, of that I have no doubt. Don't miss that place!

SomeRandomGuy
05-06-2013, 01:19 AM

CMSgt/AB Gurney was thown into jail. If I remember correctly his charges were actually more about unprofessional relationships as opposed to sexual assualt. I am sure there are plenty of people who have been thrown into jail for sexual assualt though. I doubt that will really change anything. In my opinion most of the sexual assualts the DoD wants to prevent are caused by excessive alcohol consumption. My first few years in the military I went to plenty of dorm parties and squadron events. The alcohol was always flowing at these events. A lot of times people ended up hooking up at the end of the night. A few times rape charges resulted. The problem is that it always becomes he said/she said. The only way to stop these rapes is bystander intervention (the AF actually has a CBT on this). The key to intervention though is knowing the people you are out with. Normally if I was out with a group of friends I would try to pull my friend aside and make sure they were aware of what they were doing. If my friend/friends were too drunk I had no problem being a cockblock. If they seemed aware of what they were doing I just told them, " Don't be a fool wrap your tool or at least don't be a dummy and cum on her tummy instead"

Absinthe Anecdote
05-06-2013, 02:21 AM
9805 is within spitting distance of the scene of quite a few sexual assaults, of that I have no doubt. Don't miss that place!

Do you know who the wing CC is there now?

Hint: One of your old 22nd IS CCs...

Absinthe Anecdote
05-06-2013, 02:24 AM
CMSgt/AB Gurney was thown into jail. If I remember correctly his charges were actually more about unprofessional relationships as opposed to sexual assualt. I am sure there are plenty of people who have been thrown into jail for sexual assualt though. I doubt that will really change anything. In my opinion most of the sexual assualts the DoD wants to prevent are caused by excessive alcohol consumption. My first few years in the military I went to plenty of dorm parties and squadron events. The alcohol was always flowing at these events. A lot of times people ended up hooking up at the end of the night. A few times rape charges resulted. The problem is that it always becomes he said/she said. The only way to stop these rapes is bystander intervention (the AF actually has a CBT on this). The key to intervention though is knowing the people you are out with. Normally if I was out with a group of friends I would try to pull my friend aside and make sure they were aware of what they were doing. If my friend/friends were too drunk I had no problem being a cockblock. If they seemed aware of what they were doing I just told them, " Don't be a fool wrap your tool or at least don't be a dummy and cum on her tummy instead"

You were making sense until the last two sentences and then you turned into Tak for some reason.

Tak
05-06-2013, 03:21 AM
You were making sense until the last two sentences and then you turned into Tak for some reason.

Ha...got me...those were good sayings though...remember, sayings and memos save lives.

Golther
05-06-2013, 04:44 AM
I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic...

Of course I am being sarcastic.

Tak
05-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Of course I am being sarcastic.

He sincerely hoped you were sarcastic, that's sweet.
And by sweet I mean :preggers

Capt Alfredo
05-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Do you know who the wing CC is there now?

Hint: One of your old 22nd IS CCs...

I think I do know who the commander is, but only by name. Mr. Google tells me it's Col Mary O'Brien, but I don't know her. She was CC of the 22nd a few years after I left that squadron.

Edit: I just read her bio and I think it's pretty good. She's had a very SIGINT-heavy second last ten years, so I'm guessing she actually knows something :-)

http://www.afisr.af.mil/library/biographies/bio.asp?id=14767

OtisRNeedleman
05-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Neither do I, and it's been 18 years since I escaped.

drc100882
05-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Oh look, another OPR bullet for him. Surely he'll get his star now.

imported_SergeantJack
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Teal ribbons offend me and make me feel threatened. I'm going to sue the Air Force.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
I think I do know who the commander is, but only by name. Mr. Google tells me it's Col Mary O'Brien, but I don't know her. She was CC of the 22nd a few years after I left that squadron.

Edit: I just read her bio and I think it's pretty good. She's had a very SIGINT-heavy second last ten years, so I'm guessing she actually knows something :-)

http://www.afisr.af.mil/library/biographies/bio.asp?id=14767

She wasn’t one of my favorites but it’s good to see an Intel officer in command of that wing.

I used to get a kick out of some of the things that fighter pilots would do as CC of that wing.

We had one that rearranged the mission support group functions so it would look like the support group functions of a fighter wing on an org chart. His big selling point behind the change was that when someone from outside the Intel world looked at the unit they would understand what was going on.

We had a bomber pilot who turned the top half of 9805 into a SCIF and tried to create a watch center with no real mission other than preparing him a daily read file.

oregonbean
05-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I think the chief of the AF Sexual Assault and Prevention branch just blew teal ribbons out of the water and took sexual assault awareness to a whole new level. . . by being arrested for sexual battery.

Innocent until proven guilty, but his mug shot has "that's not what right looks like" written all over it.

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-sex-assault-prevention-chief-charged-in-sex-assault-1.219860

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I think the chief of the AF Sexual Assault and Prevention branch just blew teal ribbons out of the water and took sexual assault awareness to a whole new level. . . by being arrested for sexual battery.

Innocent until proven guilty, but his mug shot has "that's not what right looks like" written all over it.

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-sex-assault-prevention-chief-charged-in-sex-assault-1.219860

How sadly ironic that we were lampooning teal ribbons for being ineffective a few days before this story broke.

RobotChicken
05-09-2013, 04:44 AM
:hat That joker of a Col. is as fat as that :censored TREEE!!! :phone

Badger
05-09-2013, 08:01 PM
This is while I'll never make Wing Commander. I'd never be able to mask my contempt for empty symbolic bullshit like this.

Rainmaker
05-09-2013, 08:34 PM

In your case Rainmaker will bet on don't pass line and take the full odds.