PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Corpsman "C" Schools manning level?

HospitalCorpsman
05-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Any Hospital Corpsman expert around here? I have a burning question.

So far, I have the understanding that "C" school is not guaranteed for everyone. On my contract, I'm only guaranteed "A" school as an HM. However, I do desire to specialize in either surgical technologist or cardiovascular technician.

My question is: what is the availability of these "C" school specialties? In other words, are these specialties under or over manned? Can you please provide me with a reputable source that confirms this?

Let's assume I ace "A" school and get my druthers.

JD2780
05-04-2013, 12:03 AM
So it's safe to assume you aren't even a corpsman yet?

Greg
05-04-2013, 12:44 AM

So far, I have the understanding that "C" school is not guaranteed for everyone. On my contract, I'm only guaranteed "A" school as an HM. However, I do desire to specialize in either surgical technologist or cardiovascular technician.

My question is: what is the availability of these "C" school specialties? In other words, are these specialties under or over manned? Can you please provide me with a reputable source that confirms this?

He's probably DEP. I suggest that he concentrates on graduating boot camp.

JD2780
05-04-2013, 01:46 AM

That's what I was getting at. Step A) get to boot camp. Step B) graduated boot camp.

Greg
05-04-2013, 02:01 AM
That's what I was getting at. Step A) get to boot camp. Step B) graduated boot camp.

I don't know what the wash-out rate of their "A" school was, when I was in, but most every "doc" that I met was first rate.

JD2780
05-04-2013, 02:04 AM
I don't know what the wash-out rate of their "A" school was, when I was in, but most every "doc" that I met was first rate.

Yea I've never ran across a bad corpsman.

DocBones
05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
The wash out rate for the Corps school, back when I attended it, was 50%. Add on the wash out rate for basic training.

That is the reason that the only thing that can be promised is a TRY at becoming a Corpsman, after, if you are good enough to make it through basic.

If it's still the way it was, IF you have completed basic AND you have completed Corps school. you will be given a chance to either go attend field med school, or you might stay on the Navy side.

Field med training is to prepare one for serving with the Marines.

After you have finished with the basic Corps school, when it is time to reenlist near the end of your contract is when it is time to get into a new field within the Hospital Corps.

You have things to prove to the Navy before it is going to let you into an allied health field.

I hope that this helps.

CaliMC
05-06-2013, 10:28 PM

Generally speaking, "C" school opportunities vary due to pre-requisite test scores, quota availability, fleet demand and fiscal year funding. My recommendation is for you to contact the HM C school detailer directly, who can give you the latest info on application process and availability. The HM C School Detailer can be reached at 901-874-3808 or 901-874-3322

CaliMC
05-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Yea I've never ran across a bad corpsman.

I've run across "bad" corpsmen, but very few. Junior HM's go to hospitals for their initial tour, where the bad apples are identified and removed. Some less than stellar performers still make it to the fleet, but overall they do a good job of thinning the herd when necessary.

DocBones
05-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I would suggest that you get a shot of penicillin. Very soon, when you think, that burning sensation will disappear quickly.

Greg
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
I would suggest that you get a shot of penicillin. Very soon, when you think, that burning sensation will disappear quickly.

But I'm allergic to penicillin, that's why I wore a third (red) tag.

DocBones
05-12-2013, 05:36 PM
HospitalCorpsman,

Are you still here? We give all of this great advice, and you should say "Thanks for the info!"

Just saying.

HospitalCorpsman
05-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Hi everyone, I just want to make my deepest apology for my delayed response. Please forgive me. I truly appreciate all of your advice. Thank you so much.

So it's safe to assume you aren't even a corpsman yet?

Yes, you are correct. I'm not a hospital corpsman, yet. :)

You are correct. You are right and I am concentrating on graduating boot camp. I've been studying the START guide as well as going to the gym to get my body physically fit. Thank you for the advice. :) The reason I ask about A and C school is that I also want to prepare for that. I don't ship off until November. I have months to prepare. I hope you understand.

Good advice.

The wash out rate for the Corps school, back when I attended it, was 50%. Add on the wash out rate for basic training.

That is the reason that the only thing that can be promised is a TRY at becoming a Corpsman, after, if you are good enough to make it through basic.

If it's still the way it was, IF you have completed basic AND you have completed Corps school. you will be given a chance to either go attend field med school, or you might stay on the Navy side.

Field med training is to prepare one for serving with the Marines.

After you have finished with the basic Corps school, when it is time to reenlist near the end of your contract is when it is time to get into a new field within the Hospital Corps.

You have things to prove to the Navy before it is going to let you into an allied health field.

I hope that this helps.

What exactly is "wash-out rate" means?

I have nothing against the Marines and I don't look down to corpsman helping the Marines, but, I personally prefer to work within a hospital/clinic setting.

Generally speaking, "C" school opportunities vary due to pre-requisite test scores, quota availability, fleet demand and fiscal year funding. My recommendation is for you to contact the HM C school detailer directly, who can give you the latest info on application process and availability. The HM C School Detailer can be reached at 901-874-3808 or 901-874-3322

Oh my goodness. You are amazing. How did you get that detailer contact number? Are those the only two? Oh, and I try to call both numbers and each time it's straight to voice mail. I think I should leave a voice mail, huh? I visited this link

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/detailing/medical/Pages/default2.aspx

I click detailer contact and it says restricted access. :/

HospitalCorpsman,

Are you still here? We give all of this great advice, and you should say "Thanks for the info!"

Just saying.

Yes, I am still here. I am so sorry for the late replay. I THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.

Truly

RobotChicken
05-14-2013, 05:15 AM
:spy God help us..............:help

DocBones
05-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Wash out rate in bootcamp means those that are discharged from bootcamp, to the civilian world.

Wash out from the Corp school means that before I came to the school, there were 50% that couldn't hack the school, and were sent back to the regular Navy, for training in whatever field the Navy was short on people in.

In my class, there was 100% graduating. I was the class adjutant, which comes down to being the classes company commander, kind of sort of. I kept all of the students that were about to fail and wash out, after class, for 2 hours, to go over and over and over those things that they were failing at, until they not only how to answer the test questions, but also how to apply their learning once they had graduated.

Also, being adjutant, I got to wear the adjutants aguilette. It was a black and white 'rope,' worn on the shoulder. It made me look really spiffy!

Well, it did! Kind of.

I hope that the above answers your questions.