PDA

View Full Version : The Washington Redtails!!!

ttribe
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/fox-sports-networks/story/NFL-ready-for-Cowboys-vs-Redtails-?blockID=898057&feedID=3742&ocid=ansfox11

Aaaand GO>:boink

JD2780
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
This is stupid.

drc100882
05-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Heh... wonder what the mascot will be.

Measure Man
05-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm a lifelong 'Skins fan...but, I have to admit I don't hate the proposed new name.

sandsjames
05-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Don't hate the new name. Just hate the reason for changing it.

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Since this guy is not a Native American, where is the outcry from liberals for this guy using an ethnic issue to futher his own agenda?

But if its ok to go outside my group to stand up for unfounded derogatory nicknames for teams, I want to stand up for Wiccans against the Magic and Wizards. Also, lets change the Partiots name because they were terrorist against the crown. Or change the oppressive nickname of the Royals. How about we get rid of all the animal nicknames too? Lets not forget about the Cowboys, or 49s.

RGIII is spot on when he tweeted about "In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness".

sandsjames
05-01-2013, 03:56 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm offended by "Redtails". The Redtails were very brave men who fought for a country that oppressed them. To compare football players to heroes is an outrage. If I was a black pilot I'd be bitching up a storm.

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-01-2013, 03:57 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm offended by "Redtails". The Redtails were very brave men who fought for a country that oppressed them. To compare football players to heroes is an outrage. If I was a black pilot I'd be bitching up a storm.

Not to mention how badly that movie sucked. Would any football player want to be on a team that bombed so bad at the theaters with such and awesome cast of actors?

technomage1
05-01-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't mind the name change - Redskins does sound pretty dated and kinda racist to me - but Redtails? Honestly, it just doesn't have a ring to it and doesn't fit in well with the attempt to honor the warriors of the Native Americans (which I'm guessing was the intent of the name Redskins). Maybe the Code Talkers? Or maybe we should ask the American Indian Warrior Association their opinion?

I have to admit I wouldn't care for it if a team in Africa or China was called the Honkies or the Whiteskins, so I do see the point of Native groups on this one.

sandsjames
05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't mind the name change - Redskins does sound pretty dated and kinda racist to me - but Redtails? Honestly, it just doesn't have a ring to it and doesn't fit in well with the attempt to honor the warriors of the Native Americans (which I'm guessing was the intent of the name Redskins). Maybe the Code Talkers? Or maybe we should ask the American Indian Warrior Association their opinion?

I have to admit I wouldn't care for it if a team in Africa or China was called the Honkies or the Whiteskins, so I do see the point of Native groups on this one.

I'd love it if there was an "Iowa Crackers" or "Kentucky Rednecks". They'd never have a team called the Whiteskins, though, because that would be offensive to minorities.

technomage1
05-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I'd love it if there was an "Iowa Crackers" or "Kentucky Rednecks". They'd never have a team called the Whiteskins, though, because that would be offensive to minorities.

It'd be even worse if it was a group that beat us. The "Hanoi Honkies" would get people's shorts twisted for sure.

Measure Man
05-01-2013, 04:42 PM

There is the Ozark High School Hillbillies!

http://ozarkhillbillies.org/

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I don't mind the name change - Redskins does sound pretty dated and kinda racist to me - but Redtails? Honestly, it just doesn't have a ring to it and doesn't fit in well with the attempt to honor the warriors of the Native Americans (which I'm guessing was the intent of the name Redskins). Maybe the Code Talkers? Or maybe we should ask the American Indian Warrior Association their opinion? Arent those names just a swap of one race specific nickname for another? And the native americans already gave their blessings for the name a while ago. Not to mention the Redskins came to the team in honor of their head coach at the time.

I have to admit I wouldn't care for it if a team in Africa or China was called the Honkies or the Whiteskins, so I do see the point of Native groups on this one.And this councilman should have other things on his mind then the name of a private sports team name. Is DC so perfect that he has nothing else to do? Its not Native groups bringing this up. Its David Grosso.

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Should be Florida Crackers, but whatevs. Cracker should actually be very derogatory towards blacks because it references the whites cracking the whip.

technomage1
05-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Should be Florida Crackers, but whatevs. Cracker should actually be very derogatory towards blacks because it references the whites cracking the whip.

Is that where it came from? In that case Cracker should be derogatory towards humanity in general.

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-01-2013, 05:47 PM
BTW, this guy is doing it for his own political gain.

Indeed, a recent SI poll (charts, above) suggests that although Native American activists are virtually united in opposition to the use of Indian nicknames and mascots, the Native American population sees the issue far differently. Asked if high school and college teams should stop using Indian nicknames, 81% of Native American respondents said no. As for pro sports, 83% of Native American respondents said teams should not stop using Indian nicknames, mascots, characters and symbols. Opinion is far more divided on reservations, yet a majority (67%) there said the usage by pro teams should not cease, while 32% said it should.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025046/

imported_WILDJOKER5
05-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Does anyone find the name he wants to change it to offensive? Redtails? It was a government instituted segrigation wing of the military. Might as well call the team "The Jim Crows".

MrMiracle
05-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Why don't they keep the name, but just change the logo to a potato?

Who doesn't like those?