PDA

View Full Version : Reserved parking spots

KMD86
04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
good morning,

quick question. I've seen this topic discussed on here before but I can't find it. Every base has reserved parking for Chiefs and 06's and what not. Has anyone dealt with "decal parking"? I am a tenant unit at the AMC base I work at and we share a building with another squadron that already has parking for their squadron leadership. Well our wing has "decal parking" for our Gs-13's and up. I thought reserved parking was only a numbered amount of spaces per lot and for leadership? The building custodian here is talking about issuing tickets to people that park in the decal parking spots without a decal on their car. 1, can he do that, 2 the lot we park in services 4 different buildings so who knows who is parking there "illegally". I tried googling the AF instruction on reserved parking but can't find it. any help would be great. thanks.

Pullinteeth
04-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Check AFI 31-204

Tak
04-26-2013, 01:14 PM
CES handle that

TREYSLEDGE
04-26-2013, 01:48 PM
When not addressed by MAJCOMs, installation commanders determine reserved parking policy for their installations. These are included in the bases' 31-204 or a supplement to a MAJCOM plan. So it varies base to base. At my last base the 31-204 says this:

Each base facility will be allowed reserved parking for the following users:
4.8.2.1. Wing and vice wing commander (Certain buildings only.)
4.8.2.2. One reserved space for each group commander and each deputy group commander permanently occupying a facility
4.8.2.3. One reserved space for each squadron commander and each deputy squadron commander (or appropriate equivalent) permanently occupying a facility
4.8.2.4. One reserved space for each squadron first sergeant permanently occupying a facility
4.8.2.5. Disabled parking based on the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines

It also said that the CE squadron had to approve all reserved parking spot and sign requests, since CE usually makes the signs and must follow the AFIs on authorized facility management (yes, parking lots are considered facilities and have their own numbers and category codes in the real estate records). That being said there were a ton more reserved parking signs than just was is above and none of them were approved by CE. Guess the worst offender... that's right SFS. They had reserved parking for almost everyone down to E-6 and it's their instruction.

So check your base's 31-204 and see what it says about authorized reserved parking. If these decal parking spots are listed then yes, you can be ticketed, but I'm sure it has to be a SFS member who issues the ticket. I don't think building managers have that authority (unless it is given in the 31-204).

CEMSgt
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
SFS and CE have a hand in that. Technically there are only a handful of "legal" parking spots on a base. Handicapped, CEM's and CC's. Just because you are a Chief or Col, does not mean you get a spot, unless you hold the CEM/CC position. Every base has local OI's that can change this. Being from the CE side of this, we did not approve many parking spot requests, but if it was routed through SFS first, and they ok'd it, we would make the sign.

Bottom line is though, unless it is a handicapped spot, your not going to get in trouble for parking in the "decal" spot. The fac manager placing tickets isn't going to do anything either. I'm sure the decal's were purchased by the unit, or some friend of a CE guy had a bunch made up at one time, there would be no legal binding to a sticker for parking.

When I would get a call from a fac manager about this type of stuff, normally I would have the guys go out and remove these types of unauthorized parking spots. Its all fine to have them until I get a call from someone bitching.

Park wherever you want....

TREYSLEDGE
04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
My personnal opinion is that we should limit reserved parking to the very minimal (commanders, first sergeants, command chief's). Costs of making and maintaining signs does add up. Besides most of the time I see a lot of reserved parking spots they are in large parking lots. So the base doesn't have a parking problem it has a walking problem (aka lazy people).

Tak
04-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Should only have retired spots on base

poindexter
04-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Geez, over in the compund over here, no one can park anywhere close to the bulding due to all the reserve parking (directors, visitors, admin folks) and handicap spots, even in the huge parking lots 1/3 of the spots are handicapp spots and FPCON designated handicapp spots.

Tak
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Good chance to tell a story...

At minot, lots of new airman, fpcon ramped up as i
Headed to lunch. Asked them to cover wg cc, etc
Parking signs with trash bags. Two hours later,
Pull in parking lot and they had put clear trash bags
To cover signs, not understanding point was to
Blockout names...

cope0181
04-26-2013, 04:48 PM
HQ AF ISR Agency has about 8 rows of reserved parking. Directors, Chiefs, Shirt, Carpoolers, and the large amount of handicapped spaces (Almost every civilian has Disabled Veteran plates).

JD2780
04-26-2013, 05:12 PM
W had a disabled vet with a handicap placard in my last unit. Retire Army SF ( special forces, not a cop)E-7.He made it a point to park a decent distance away and ask some folks why they fought and raced for parking spots when there was a bunch in the back. It was quite comical. Even as a retiree, was a great taste of fresh air for us E's. Since for us E's it was our first true Air Force unit on an AF base, we enjoyed having a bit of army back.

CrustySMSgt
04-27-2013, 05:00 AM
All right tak... here's some Chief bashing fodder for you... all I can do is SMH :noidea

(on topic part is in "3)" )

http://www.travis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123345941

imported_blacksheep1208
04-27-2013, 08:25 AM
All right tak... here's some Chief bashing fodder for you... all I can do is SMH :noidea

Well...thanks for providing a link that shows what's wrong with the Air Force. Why am I still in?

Pueblo
04-27-2013, 09:15 AM
W had a disabled vet with a handicap placard in my last unit. Retire Army SF ( special forces, not a cop)E-7.He made it a point to park a decent distance away and ask some folks why they fought and raced for parking spots when there was a bunch in the back. It was quite comical. Even as a retiree, was a great taste of fresh air for us E's. Since for us E's it was our first true Air Force unit on an AF base, we enjoyed having a bit of army back.

Love it. I can't understand why there's such an effort placed on not walking.

Mcjohn1118
04-27-2013, 12:08 PM

At first, I thought "This comment must be tongue-in-cheek." Then I was like, "If this dude is serious about his wife, what a fool." But then I thought it would be hilarious to see the following:
His wife parks in the slot and here comes this retired Chief (I'll call him Bru*), pull up to that slot and block Mrs. Command Chief in. Bru* unrolls his window and shouts, "Hey, what are you doing? That's reserved for Chiefs! I', Retired Chief Bru* and I am also GS-11 Bru* and those slots are for me and my ilk! Mrs. Command Chief retorts, "Well, thank you MR. Bru (emphasis on the MR., since she knows it really tweaks all retirees) for your service, but as you pointed out, you are retired. And what's the point of your GS-11 status...aren't you on furlough or something? I am the Command Chief's WIFE, therefore I hold his rank which outranks your retired status. So, I am authorized to park here. You can wait if you'd like." This really gets Bru* angry so he climbs out of his gold Buick Regal wearing his retiree hat with 50 pieces of flair, BCGs and satin jacket from Korea yelling, "BUT all I need to do is get my free coffee, some coffee cake and pay for my item with a check!" All the while, the rest of the world is dealing with real strife like who will be drafted next in the NFL draft.

Seriously, reserved parking is ridiculous with the exception of Handicapped Parking.
*Any reference to other Forum people is strictly coincidental.

Mcjohn1118
04-27-2013, 12:11 PM

At first, I thought "This comment must be tongue-in-cheek." Then I was like, "If this dude is serious about his wife, what a fool." But then I thought it would be hilarious to see the following:
His wife parks in the slot and here comes this retired Chief (I'll call him Bru*), pull up to that slot and block Mrs. Command Chief in. Bru* unrolls his window and shouts, "Hey, what are you doing? That's reserved for Chiefs! I', Retired Chief Bru* and I am also GS-11 Bru* and those slots are for me and my ilk! Mrs. Command Chief retorts, "Well, thank you MR. Bru (emphasis on the MR., since she knows it really tweaks all retirees) for your service, but as you pointed out, you are retired. And what's the point of your GS-11 status...aren't you on furlough or something? I am the Command Chief's WIFE, therefore I hold his rank which outranks your retired status. So, I am authorized to park here. You can wait if you'd like." This really gets Bru* angry so he climbs out of his gold Buick Regal wearing his retiree hat with 50 pieces of flair, BCGs and satin jacket from Korea yelling, "BUT all I need to do is get my free coffee, some coffee cake and pay for my item with a check!" All the while, the rest of the world is dealing with real strife like who will be drafted next in the NFL draft.

Seriously, reserved parking is ridiculous with the exception of Handicapped Parking.

Tak
04-27-2013, 12:37 PM

We had a sra photographer, married to an officer missileer,
She parked in his New LT spot at minot club. My boss lit her
Up...maybe chief didn't learn that yet riding so fast.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
04-27-2013, 03:47 PM
I can't understand why there's such an effort placed on not walking.

Same here.

Folks are constantly whining about the parking at MacDill. CSM Farris at HQ USSOCOM responded to it by telling people there wasn't a parking problem at MacDill, there was a walking problem, and people need to suck it up. He hurt some people feelings with that, but I found it pretty amusing.

Tak
04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I worked at Peterson, four floors had elevator, joke was
Only af used it.

JD2780
04-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Same here.

Folks are constantly whining about the parking at MacDill. CSM Farris at HQ USSOCOM responded to it by telling people there wasn't a parking problem at MacDill, there was a walking problem, and people need to suck it up. He hurt some people feelings with that, but I found it pretty amusing.

Hahaha that's awesome!!

Chief_KO
04-28-2013, 02:59 AM
During the DDD (dark days of doc) at Osan we had a burger burn at the front gate. Doc's policy was that the booth had to be taken down and cleaned up at curfew, not left up till later the next day. One of our Airmen parked the unit pick up in the general's parking spot at the main gate shopette as we were doing clean up. The SPs ticketed the vehicle (guess Doc might have come by to use the ATM) rather than using some common sense and telling us to move the vehicle.

Regarding Mrs Chief parking in the Chief's slot...When I put on Chief, I told my wife that the sign said "CMSgt", not "Mrs CMSgt". There are few things worse than a military spouse trying to wear the rank of their sponsor. At Davis-Monthan there are so many retired Chiefs that they have "Chief" and "AD Chief" parking slots.

BOSS302
04-28-2013, 03:49 AM
During the DDD (dark days of doc) at Osan we had a burger burn at the front gate. Doc's policy was that the booth had to be taken down and cleaned up at curfew, not left up till later the next day. One of our Airmen parked the unit pick up in the general's parking spot at the main gate shopette as we were doing clean up. The SPs ticketed the vehicle (guess Doc might have come by to use the ATM) rather than using some common sense and telling us to move the vehicle.

Regarding Mrs Chief parking in the Chief's slot...When I put on Chief, I told my wife that the sign said "CMSgt", not "Mrs CMSgt". There are few things worse than a military spouse trying to wear the rank of their sponsor. At Davis-Monthan there are so many retired Chiefs that they have "Chief" and "AD Chief" parking slots.

This thread and that story brings back a fond memory of my newbie days...

We were in the process of working on a 332 project at the SFS main building at my first base. Our crew lead had parked the TMT in an SFS Gov parking spot temporarily so we could unload a few ladders, all the parts, and the tools, as opposed to parking all the way back in the main parking area and hauling everything to the building in the thousand degree, 100% humidity deep South summer day.

An SFS SMSgt walks over to us and starts lighting us up for parking there; the NCO crew lead comes over and attempts to explain what is going on. The SMSgt basically says, "I don't care, this is an SFS spot, move your shit." To add to the fire, an SFS patrol car had pulled up beside us. The NCO lead just smiles, apologizes, and tells us to pack everything up, we are done here.

Unknown to the SFS Senior, we were there as part of a multi-shop 332 to renovate their kitchen/break room area. As a new, young Airman, I was not completely privvy to all of the details, but I understand that this incident went to our Ops Flt/CC level, who told all of the shop leads to close themselves out on the 332 and to not do any renovation work on the SFS kitchen/break room area.

I was there for three years and not a single craft ever renovated that kitchen and break room. About two weeks after the incident, a group of SFS SNCOs came to the shop and had a closed-door meeting with our NCOIC and the Flt Super. I'm sure it was about the 332. Whatever was said, it did not get their 332 done.

Classic little pissing contest. That Senior won that silly battle of the parking spot, but it cost his squadron a renovated kitchen. Hope it was worth it.

CrustySMSgt
04-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Before my wife (SMSgt) retired last year, she wouldn't even park in the parking spot if I was riding int he car with her and told her to... lol I tried pulling rank, but you can guess how far that got me! :sad

He isn't even the command chief (not that it would matter if he was)

That was pretty damn funny! :)

Tak
04-28-2013, 06:29 AM
Crusty sum bytch

hgarmorer
04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
good morning,

quick question. I've seen this topic discussed on here before but I can't find it. Every base has reserved parking for Chiefs and 06's and what not. Has anyone dealt with "decal parking"? I am a tenant unit at the AMC base I work at and we share a building with another squadron that already has parking for their squadron leadership. Well our wing has "decal parking" for our Gs-13's and up. I thought reserved parking was only a numbered amount of spaces per lot and for leadership? The building custodian here is talking about issuing tickets to people that park in the decal parking spots without a decal on their car. 1, can he do that, 2 the lot we park in services 4 different buildings so who knows who is parking there "illegally". I tried googling the AF instruction on reserved parking but can't find it. any help would be great. thanks.

TRANSCOM/SDDC?