PDA

View Full Version : Two short tour assignments in a row

Shadowless
04-22-2013, 12:48 AM
I am considering doing two short assignments in a row and I was wondering, would I get to pick a follow on assignment after doing back to back short tours? For example, if I was to serve in Korea for a year, could I complete a second short tour to Turkey and get a chance at a follow on assignment afterwards?

Tak
04-22-2013, 01:24 AM
I am considering doing two short assignments in a row and I was wondering, would I get to pick a follow on assignment after doing back to back short tours? For example, if I was to serve in Korea for a year, could I complete a second short tour to Turkey and get a chance at a follow on assignment afterwards?

why not do an extended korea for extra money

FLAPS
04-22-2013, 01:26 AM

Turkey pays hostile fire pay and cola

JD2780
04-22-2013, 01:32 AM
Turkey pays hostile fire pay and cola

HFP in turkey is a joke. You're though, more money is always better.

JD2780
04-22-2013, 01:33 AM
I raked in the bucks during my 15 mths there!

A good financial move.

Shadowless
04-22-2013, 01:34 AM

I was told that I would have to move to a different base or assignment to receive another follow on, if I extended I wouldn't get a follow on.

FLAPS
04-22-2013, 01:34 AM
HFP in turkey is a joke. You're though, more money is always better.

JD2780
04-22-2013, 01:35 AM

A good financial move.

Tak
04-22-2013, 01:40 AM
http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-formally-announces-extended-korea-tours-1.92175
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/militarypay/a/afkoreatour.htm

FLAPS
04-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Is a measly 3,600 per year really worth the extra time served in Korea?

JD2780
04-22-2013, 01:56 AM
Is a measly 3,600 per year really worth the extra time served in Korea?

If you're single it sure is.

imported_AFKILO7
04-22-2013, 02:11 AM
I went from Kunsan, to Lajes, with a follow on to Iceland. Iceland closed so I retrained and went K9, then got my number 2 assignment to Hurlburt. So yes you do get a follow on.

CrustySMSgt
04-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Your chances will be the same out of a remote assignment, whether it is the same location or a different one.

FLAPS
04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
If you're single it sure is.

Ah...the things people will do for chump change.

Option #1- quit/reduce bad habits

Carton of smokes and a case of beer per week= approx $70

Annual cost of habit = $3,640

Option #2 (if married)- stay in the states and have wife get a real job vs Osan bowling alley cashier.

Option #3- Buy/sell crap on eBay- I made over $1,000 in the past 7 months. Not too bad.

If I really thought that $3,600 would make much of a difference, then I have better ideas than to live my life in a shithole.

JD2780
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Ah...the things people will do for chump change.

Option #1- quit/reduce bad habits

Carton of smokes and a case of beer per week= approx $70

Annual cost of habit = $3,640

Option #2 (if married)- stay in the states and have wife get a real job vs Osan bowling alley cashier.

Option #3- Buy/sell crap on eBay- I made over $1,000 in the past 7 months. Not too bad.

If I really thought that $3,600 would make much of a difference, then I have better ideas than to live my life in a shithole.

Have wife get a real job? Like what a secretary? It's tough for spouses to have a real career when you move constantly. In 11 years our family has moved 3 times.

3600 bucks is chump change to you, it's money that covers 3 house payments for others. I know my family and I could use an extra 3600.

I was saying if I was single, I'd take up Korea get my follow on and go back again. I know a few guys that were basically rotating in and out of Korea.

I wouldn't bring my family there. Heck there are places inside the US I wouldn't want to bring my family. El Paso, Ft Polk, Ft Irwin. That is just to start.

3600 just isn't chump change and find a true job is harder than you think. Especially if the spouse doesn't have a degree. Unless you want you wife doing landscaping, or trash pick up. There are other. Jobs in the restaurant industry opening. Cook, bar tender. Those come with crazy hours.

FLAPS
04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Have wife get a real job? Like what a secretary? It's tough for spouses to have a real career when you move constantly. In 11 years our family has moved 3 times.

3600 bucks is chump change to you, it's money that covers 3 house payments for others. I know my family and I could use an extra 3600.

I was saying if I was single, I'd take up Korea get my follow on and go back again. I know a few guys that were basically rotating in and out of Korea.

I wouldn't bring my family there. Heck there are places inside the US I wouldn't want to bring my family. El Paso, Ft Polk, Ft Irwin. That is just to start.

3600 just isn't chump change and find a true job is harder than you think. Especially if the spouse doesn't have a degree. Unless you want you wife doing landscaping, or trash pick up. There are other. Jobs in the restaurant industry opening. Cook, bar tender. Those come with crazy hours.

I was being a tad bit insensitive, so I apologize to those who need that money. I also agree it's hard to have a career when you're moving around, but for some finding a good paying job is not always that challenging. I'm talking job vs career.

That said, if the spouse doesn't have the degree or skill to give them at least a fighting chance of finding decent work, then I'd challenge that spouse to do something about it. Plenty of couples CHOOSE babies and bills over/before education and skills. I have little sympathy for their financial plight.

sandsjames
04-22-2013, 03:47 PM
I was being a tad bit insensitive, so I apologize to those who need that money. I also agree it's hard to have a career when you're moving around, but for some finding a good paying job is not always that challenging. I'm talking job vs career.

That said, if the spouse doesn't have the degree or skill to give them at least a fighting chance of finding decent work, then I'd challenge that spouse to do something about it. Plenty of couples CHOOSE babies and bills over/before education and skills. I have little sympathy for their financial plight.

I'm married. Spouse hasn't worked in almost 15 years. We have no financial plight. We pay our bills while also covering the mortgage on a house we don't live in (which currently provides zero income because there is no renter). We live very comfortably on TSgt pay. I'm not sure how families can struggle for money in the military, especially if the spouse is making ANY sort of income.

And, BTW, education and skills are highly overrated, especially if that's not what the spouse chooses to do. I always laugh when people say "make her get a job". If a person is more worried about the money than the happiness of the spouse then I have little sympathy for their pending divorce.

Thunderhorse19
04-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Being at Osan for 2 years would not be too bad. We called it "Little America" when I was there. My boss brought his family and their Mercedes with them. It was tough duty going to Yongsong and Pusan in a Mercedes on the weekends. I know that $200 million was spent updating the facilities at Osan after I left. I hope they tore down the old hooch I lived in for 12 months.

imported_blacksheep1208
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Being at Osan for 2 years would not be too bad. We called it "Little America" when I was there. My boss brought his family and their Mercedes with them. It was tough duty going to Yongsong and Pusan in a Mercedes on the weekends. I know that $200 million was spent updating the facilities at Osan after I left. I hope they tore down the old hooch I lived in for 12 months.

What was the building number? They've torn down a lot of buildings over on the airman's side since I got here last August. They're also building a huge SNCO dorm that is currently 6 floors high. So much for living off base like a king for future Osan SNCO's.

Shadowless
04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Your chances will be the same out of a remote assignment, whether it is the same location or a different one.

My apologies, but what do you mean my chances will be the same whether it is the same location or a different one? Do you mean to say if I am at Osan, and I pick Osan again off the equal overseas list I will get a follow on assignment?