PDA

View Full Version : The newest battlefield in the agenda of market logic

Banned
04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
While the UN and NGOs across the world struggle to bring free, clean water to populations living in poverty... the corporate sector has another idea... put a price tag on it.

Watch this video from the CEO of Nestle... it really sounds like something from some dystopian novel.

http://americanlivewire.com/nestle-ceo-says-water-is-food-that-should-be-privatized-not-a-human-right/

sandsjames
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
While the UN and NGOs across the world struggle to bring free, clean water to populations living in poverty... the corporate sector has another idea... put a price tag on it.

Watch this video from the CEO of Nestle... it really sounds like something from some dystopian novel.

http://americanlivewire.com/nestle-ceo-says-water-is-food-that-should-be-privatized-not-a-human-right/

Always love it when you use your fancy words. You almost sound educated.

Banned
04-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Always love it when you use your fancy words. You almost sound educated.

What "fancy words" did I use that confused you? I actually don't see any fancy words in my post.

oldgrndr@
04-20-2013, 05:05 PM

Because bureaucracy is so cheap and efficient to not put a price tag on it? Have you looked at your taxes lately (Obamacare)? While that video is weird to say the least your belief that reliance on a Nanny state is a better way is just as dystopian.

Greg
04-20-2013, 05:33 PM

Yes, the CEO of Nestle carries much influence.

Banned
04-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Yes, the CEO of Nestle carries much influence.

One of the largest corporations in the world. And if this CEO is thinking this, then odds are, his buddies he goes to cocktail parties with are also thinking it.

Because bureaucracy is so cheap and efficient to not put a price tag on it? Have you looked at your taxes lately (Obamacare)? While that video is weird to say the least your belief that reliance on a Nanny state is a better way is just as dystopian.

I'm not sure how this is even remotely related to what I said. We're talking about water distribution to poverty-stricken populations across the world. Try to focus.

Greg
04-20-2013, 07:25 PM
One of the largest corporations in the world. And if this CEO is thinking this, then odds are, his buddies he goes to cocktail parties with are also thinking it.

Your odds are wrong. What makes one an effective CEO does not necessary translate to outside the boardroom world.

Banned
04-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Your odds are wrong. What makes one an effective CEO does not necessary translate to outside the boardroom world.

Well that's great that you declared me wrong. On what basis do you make that declaration? The world has been getting increasingly privatized over the last hundred years or so.

Water will probably only grow increasingly important over the next century (also dependent upon climate change) - the major corporations know this. This is another way to control people and wring more money out of them.

Greg
04-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Well that's great that you declared me wrong. On what basis do you make that declaration? The world has been getting increasingly privatized over the last hundred years or so.

Water will probably only grow increasingly important over the next century (also dependent upon climate change) - the major corporations know this. This is another way to control people and wring more money out of them.

I've posted my bona fides: Middle management in a Fortune 500 solid-waste hauling company, and family affiliation with the AFL-CIO. I have been privy to such "cocktail parties."

As far as the next century, I practice water conservation now.

AJBIGJ
04-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Slightly misleading title here, a significantly more accurate term would be "corporate logic". You're welcome

sandsjames
04-20-2013, 11:01 PM

Yep, don't want corporations controlling us. Much better to have the government controlling us, right? Their intentions are good.

Banned
04-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Slightly misleading title here, a significantly more accurate term would be "corporate logic". You're welcome

You make a solid point.

I've posted my bona fides: Middle management in a Fortune 500 solid-waste hauling company, and family affiliation with the AFL-CIO. I have been privy to such "cocktail parties."

As far as the next century, I practice water conservation now.

Fair enough - but I have yet to see any evidence that these companies have any other motive except maximum profit.

Greg
04-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Fair enough - but I have yet to see any evidence that these companies have any other motive except maximum profit.

Yes they are, and that is why the citizens of the community should stay involved:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Gov. John Kasich's office is ready to push a new proposal regulating water withdrawal from Lake Erie, four months after he stunned some of his fellow Republicans in vetoing a controversial earlier measure.

The new proposal sharply restricts the amount of water businesses can siphon from the lake before triggering tighter regulatory rules, requires state officials to closely monitor the lake's ecosystem, and better protects "high quality" streams and tributaries that flow into the lake.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2011/11/ohio_gov_kasich_to_propose_new.html

Banned
04-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Yes they are, and that is why the citizens of the community should stay involved:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Gov. John Kasich's office is ready to push a new proposal regulating water withdrawal from Lake Erie, four months after he stunned some of his fellow Republicans in vetoing a controversial earlier measure.

The new proposal sharply restricts the amount of water businesses can siphon from the lake before triggering tighter regulatory rules, requires state officials to closely monitor the lake's ecosystem, and better protects "high quality" streams and tributaries that flow into the lake.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2011/11/ohio_gov_kasich_to_propose_new.html

I guess corporations don't *self regulate* very well!

Greg
04-22-2013, 02:06 AM
I guess corporations don't *self regulate* very well!

If a corporation does not *self-regulate* very well, they're out of business. If the government does not *self-regulate* very well, they raise taxes.

oldgrndr@
05-16-2013, 03:29 PM

I'm not sure how this is even remotely related to what I said. We're talking about water distribution to poverty-stricken populations across the world. Try to focus.

Do you see it yet? You pretty clearly stated that big brother can do things for free as opposed to the big bad corporation. While the poverty stricken might not pay for it somebody else sure does. And you’re railing against a corporation that wants to be paid for the expense (something you can choose to not pay BTW) vice the government taxing you to pay for it (something you cannot choose to not pay). Who needs focus?