PDA

View Full Version : Every Dollar Counts Initiative...another program

VFFTSGT
04-17-2013, 04:48 AM
So, we are spending money to save money.

We already have the IDEA program and had the AFSO 21 and I believe a couple others.

But, we are making another...

In the wake of sequestration, the initiative marks a cultural shift that empowers Airmen to find and recommend areas for savings that may be used to support readiness needs, said Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Larry Spencer.

NEWS FLASH: We have been screaming for years on wasteful spending...

Beginning May 1, Airmen can submit their cost-reducing ideas via the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites while at home, the office or on their smartphone. Links to those sites will be released soon.

Why not just use social media? This forum is full of cost cutting ideas. Why do we need to create another program that cost money itself? :frusty

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123344097

VCO
04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
We could start by getting rid of the entitled, negative folks that whine on MTF all day at work.

KellyinAvon
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Glad we have a Finance guy as VCSAF, we would never have known that every dollar counts otherwise. I am curious: which dollars counted before?

Absinthe Anecdote
04-17-2013, 01:18 PM

We already have the IDEA program and had the AFSO 21 and I believe a couple others.

In the wake of sequestration, the initiative marks a cultural shift that empowers Airmen to find and recommend areas for savings that may be used to support readiness needs, said Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Larry Spencer.

NEWS FLASH: We have been screaming for years on wasteful spending...

Beginning May 1, Airmen can submit their cost-reducing ideas via the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites while at home, the office or on their smartphone. Links to those sites will be released soon.

Why not just use social media? This forum is full of cost cutting ideas. Why do we need to create another program that cost money itself? :frusty

Why are you criticizing the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites?

You are just trash talking about something you know very little about!

The Airmen Powered by Innovation websites are a marketplace of great ideas that offer a very effective “reach back” capability for Airmen all over the globe.

For example, my unit in Southern Europe was getting ready to deploy to Southwest Asia and was trying to figure out a cost effective way to palletize some very sophisticated electronics.

Well, I didn’t know anything about that but I did know the Top 3 was going to have a hard time raising enough money to buy plaques and morale coins for the next six months.

What did I do?

I went to the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites and downloaded these killer cupcake designs.

I brought a batch of them over to the aircraft hangar where they were trying to palletize our gear and I made sure the Chief and the CC saw me directing a couple of Airmen to set them up on a table. I even went the extra mile and had one of my SSgts borrow a big coffee urn from the Services Squadron.

Do you know what happened the next time my EPR came due?

Senior Rater Endorsement!

Plus, I even had a bullet in there about how I supported an innovative new method for palletizing sensitive multi-million electronics.

So stop the trash talking and go do something for your unit.

http://cakesdecor.com/assets/pictures/cakes/66081-438x.jpg

Dickie
04-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Why are you criticizing the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites?

You are just trash talking about something you know very little about!

The Airmen Powered by Innovation websites are a marketplace of great ideas that offer a very effective “reach back” capability for Airmen all over the globe.

For example, my unit in Southern Europe was getting ready to deploy to Southwest Asia and was trying to figure out a cost effective way to palletize some very sophisticated electronics.

Well, I didn’t know anything about that but I did know the Top 3 was going to have a hard time raising enough money to buy plaques and morale coins for the next six months.

What did I do?

I went to the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites and downloaded these killer cupcake designs.

I brought a batch of them over to the aircraft hangar where they were trying to palletize our gear and I made sure the Chief and the CC saw me directing a couple of Airmen to set them up on a table. I even went the extra mile and had one of my SSgts borrow a big coffee urn from the Services Squadron.

Do you know what happened the next time my EPR came due?

Senior Rater Endorsement!

Plus, I even had a bullet in there about how I supported an innovative new method for palletizing sensitive multi-million electronics.

So stop the trash talking and go do something for your unit.

http://cakesdecor.com/assets/pictures/cakes/66081-438x.jpg

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little! Yeah, unfortunately you are dead on about folks like this.

VFFTSGT is right though. Every few years a new initiative to layer on top of the many other initiatives we have already been made to comply with. AFSO 21 and the IDEA program are already in place and I am wondering why the hell we arn't using them much more. Hell AFSO 21 is just Big Blue for 6 Sigma with blue cool aid added. But the programs are sound. I realy wish we as a whole would just effing stop inventing shit just to do it.

Bumble78
04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

How are Generals supposed to substaniate their existance and get OPR bullets if they do not make new programs? It is like Hollywood, you don't expect them to come up with new ideas, they just rehash the work of those that have come before them and put a new name on it. Imagine if we paid generals to come up with ideas on their own, we would need to increase their staff size.

Tak
04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Generals have shitters in their offices,
They earned the right to not have to
Walk full of shit to a hallway bathroom
Only to find the shitter stalls full of
Enlisted pukes dropping dirty bombs.

sandsjames
04-17-2013, 03:49 PM
I can't wait 'til the first two week seminar with 100 people involved going over suggestions from the site. It'll be awesome. Then, a panel will be convened to apply AFSO 21 to the ideas listed to see how to best utilize them. It's gonna be awesome.

VFFTSGT
04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
We could start by getting rid of the entitled, negative folks that whine on MTF all day at work.

Who are you talking about?

I am not entitled nor am I at work. Negative? I guess that's perception; I am just pointing out what I see as more wasted money.

sandsjames
04-17-2013, 04:40 PM

This coming from a guy who's sceen name would imply his job is nothing more than the guy working behind the counter at a rental agency.

Bumble78
04-17-2013, 05:41 PM
I think we should add in an oversite commitee at every base. All spending would have to go through the oversite commitee regardless of cost. You need a pen, you need an approval. You need an aircraft part, you need an approval. You need a shot, you need an approval. That way some one can account for every penny. The head of the commitee would have to out rank the base commander so as not to have to answer to any Airmen/Airwomen on base, so it should be at least a one star. And you would need a staff big enough to deal with all the approvals, so 15 to 20 NCOs. Think of the money it would save.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
I think I just vomited in my mouth a little! Yeah, unfortunately you are dead on about folks like this.

VFFTSGT is right though. Every few years a new initiative to layer on top of the many other initiatives we have already been made to comply with. AFSO 21 and the IDEA program are already in place and I am wondering why the hell we arn't using them much more. Hell AFSO 21 is just Big Blue for 6 Sigma with blue cool aid added. But the programs are sound. I realy wish we as a whole would just effing stop inventing shit just to do it.

Did you even read the article?

This is a pretty good idea to solicit even more ideas! What could be wrong with that?

They aren’t trying to be redundant to the Air Force’s traditional idea and suggestion programs but are responding to a specific budget crisis.
Even if they are being redundant; that can be a good thing if you put the right spin on it. They are being redundant so they won’t let any good ideas fall through the cracks.

I think this shows that our leadership is being agile and “on the ball” when it comes to solving this budget dilemma brought on by the sequestration.
The fact that they are launching a version of the websites that are accessible to smart phones shows how in touch our leaders are with today’s dynamic airmen.

This has inspired me to go out and pressure my troops into making a massive batch of cupcakes to help advertise the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites.

We have a wing-level CC call coming up and I plan on selling the cupcakes at the CC call and perhaps standing up to regurgitate that article during the CC call. Since I’m getting my troops involved I’ll have to split the proceeds with the First Six but I can work that into a nice mentorship bullet.

I’ve got goose bumps!

Just think how important I’m going to sound talking about an AF-level program like that!

This is one of those golden opportunities to latch onto a high visibility program, get a lot of face time and not really have to produce anything tangible. I’m going to try to get ahold of our Command Chief this afternoon to see if I can be the point man for this program at our base.

I might even submit my Green Energy Life Cycle idea to the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites.

To quote General Spencer, "Innovation is what we're all about; this is our family and we're going to get through this because we've got great Airmen to help see us through this."

I feel so empowered! The possibilities are endless!

Tak
04-17-2013, 07:18 PM
When's the last time the AF innovated something?

not talking about bike test, abus or airmans creed...

TREYSLEDGE
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
I remember this program the first time when it was called the IDEA program. Way to reinvent the wheel.

FLAPS
04-24-2013, 12:58 PM
idea #1-- if you RIF a civilian, they lose their job. Do not spend thousands to retrain them over the first year they get PPP'd into a position they aren't fully qualified for.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-24-2013, 01:14 PM
I remember this program the first time when it was called the IDEA program. Way to reinvent the wheel.

They are not “reinventing the wheel” as you put it. They are enhancing the traditional idea and suggestion programs while responding to a very specific budget crisis.

They even have a version that you can access on your smart phone! That is very innovative if you ask me.

idea #1-- if you RIF a civilian, they lose their job. Do not spend thousands to retrain them over the first year they get PPP'd into a position they aren't fully qualified for.

Then get on over to the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites and participate in this wonderful program!
However, you might want to ditch the negative and sour tone when you make your suggestion.

SomeRandomGuy
04-24-2013, 01:22 PM

idea #2 Stop paying for household goods storage for deployed people and then also paying them BAH. They should pay for their own storage with the BAH we are giving them.

idea #3 Stop allowing aircrew to override the meal statement on orders to recieve full per diem. The flight commander should keep a log of the meals which were truely missed.

idea #4 Stop issuing new uniforms for every deployment. Most Airmen will never leave the base when they deploy. The ABUs which they were issued or purchased (with their clothing allowance) should be just fine.

idea #5 When a unit purchases new equipment (furniture, computers, etc) the old equipment must be turned into DRMO. Before every new order each unit must check with DRMO to see if a sufficient similar item is already avaliable. Basically, lets use DRMo for its actual intended purpose.

TREYSLEDGE
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
AA - To be clear I applaud their efforts to reduce waste and save money, budget crises or not. But, instead of a new program which either makes the others obsolete or may confuse airmen of where they should submit their ideas, they should have just upgraded/enhanced the current IDEA program and made it easier to submit their ideas for specific hot issues.

If the IDEA program could not support these efforts than it should either be overhauled or scrapped.

JD2780
04-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Yes, then we can be surrounded by pussy yes men. That always fixes it.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
AA - To be clear I applaud their efforts to reduce waste and save money, budget crises or not. But, instead of a new program which either makes the others obsolete or may confuse airmen of where they should submit their ideas, they should have just upgraded/enhanced the current IDEA program and made it easier to submit their ideas for specific hot issues.

If the IDEA program could not support these efforts than it should either be overhauled or scrapped.
That’s a little bit better but I still detect a hint of negativity in your words. You really shouldn’t go around criticizing Air Force programs like that.

I’ve had the airmen in my section baking cupcakes to help advertise this program and we’ve been going all over the base to get the word out.

We had to get the personnel over in the readiness section to take on our work load while we are out doing this but since we hardly ever deploy at this base it wasn’t a big deal.

Plus, it is such an important program! You always have to be on the lookout for waste.

TREYSLEDGE
04-24-2013, 03:05 PM
That’s a little bit better but I still detect a hint of negativity in your words. You really shouldn’t go around criticizing Air Force programs like that.

I’ve had the airmen in my section baking cupcakes to help advertise this program and we’ve been going all over the base to get the word out.

We had to get the personnel over in the readiness section to take on our work load while we are out doing this but since we hardly ever deploy at this base it wasn’t a big deal.

Plus, it is such an important program! You always have to be on the lookout for waste.

It's not negativity, rather constructive criticism. My writing style may be emotional at times, but criticizing Air Force programs is how we can make changes where needed. Unconstructive critcism is being critical without providing ideas or solutions, so my first post could seem unconstructive. I guess you could say I was venting on the frustration of a seemingly reduntant program.

In fact the whole "Airmen Powered by Innovation" program asks airmen to be critical of Air Force programs in able to find savings and wasted resources.

FLAPS
04-24-2013, 03:08 PM
They are not “reinventing the wheel” as you put it. They are enhancing the traditional idea and suggestion programs while responding to a very specific budget crisis.

They even have a version that you can access on your smart phone! That is very innovative if you ask me.

Then get on over to the Airmen Powered by Innovation websites and participate in this wonderful program!
However, you might want to ditch the negative and sour tone when you make your suggestion.

I can't wait to participate. I just love it when the gov starts these "nibble at the edges" initiatives while blowing billions on failed programs like ECSS. The gov IS NOT serious about saving money, period.

SomeRandomGuy
04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I can't wait to participate. I just love it when the gov starts these "nibble at the edges" initiatives while blowing billions on failed programs like ECSS. The gov IS NOT serious about saving money, period.

Sounds like an article I read after the deal was signed to avert the "fiscal cliff" The democrats got their wish to raise taxes on the rich which raised an estimated $60 Billion in revenue. So what did they do with that new revenue?.........

Half of the new revenue was spent to award another year's extension of unemployment benefits. Loss of unemployment benefits is a severe concern in the lives of some Americans. The unemployment premium deducted from paychecks funds 26 weeks of benefits. Already many who lost jobs have received a year and a half of benefits free, and now the figure rises to two and a half years free. Most people would rather be working than receiving unemployment checks, but two and a half years of free pay is pretty generous. As the new book A Nation of Takers shows in great detail, social welfare policy treats middle America more generously than most pundits and activists claim. One key fact from the book: when John Kennedy was president, 28 percent of U.S. households drew federal benefits, while today 48 percent do.

The other $30 billion raised last week has already been spent to prevent a scheduled reduction of Medicare physician payments. TMQ pointed out last year that at the end of the Clinton administration, Congress mandated a reduction in Medicare physician payments -- then annually since has postponed the reduction. Last week's action marks the 13th consecutive year Congress postponed cuts in Medicare payments. The ObamaCare plan becomes an ocean of red ink without the assumption of $716 billion in unspecified future Medicare reductions. If the White House and both parties in Congress lack the will to cut Medicare by $30 billion today, how is a $716 billion future reduction magically supposed to happen? The claimed future Medicare cut appears pure make-believe. That means the looming national debt will be much higher than the White House is pretending.

Last week's "fiscal discipline" decision included about $40 billion in new tax cuts to special-interest groups and campaign donors. Twelve billion more in tax credits for wind energy, extending what was sold, at enactment in 1990, as a short-term transitional plan. Two billion dollars in subsidies for biodiesel, a very costly alternative fuel at a time of cheap natural gas. A $225 million tax giveaway to rum producers. Tax giveaways to subsidize auto racing, a vital component of the economy. These and other pork-barrel expenditures buried in the fiscal-cliff deal were said to be paid for by new revenue from a change in tax treatment of IRAs. But that change, which essentially borrows tax revenue from the future and spends it now, makes the country's long-term fiscal picture worse.

To top off the fiasco, delaying the sequester by three months, as Congress and the White House just did, adds about $27 billion to the national debt. Don't worry, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Congress will make up that amount -- with unspecified future cuts at an unspecified time.

In sum, last week Congress and the White House pretended to agree to a deficit-cutting plan, then immediately increased the deficit. "Fiscal discipline" did not last till the end of the first day!

FLAPS
04-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Sounds like an article I read after the deal was signed to avert the "fiscal cliff" The democrats got their wish to raise taxes on the rich which raised an estimated $60 Billion in revenue. So what did they do with that new revenue?.........

Chump change. We borrow $3 billion PER DAY to pay the bills. 20 days later you got your measly $60 billion.

VFFTSGT
04-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Well, our entire economy is built on a bubble...a bubble of spending money we don't have...from the individual to the government.

The perceived cuts that are being implemented are nothing but a punishment of the people by the government intended to make the people suffer for advocating for reductions in spending. As you noted, the government is not interested in making cuts...that is why the only perceived cuts are of things that make the American suffer...it's a political game backed by big business.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
It's not negativity, rather constructive criticism. My writing style may be emotional at times, but criticizing Air Force programs is how we can make changes where needed. Unconstructive critcism is being critical without providing ideas or solutions, so my first post could seem unconstructive. I guess you could say I was venting on the frustration of a seemingly reduntant program.

In fact the whole "Airmen Powered by Innovation" program asks airmen to be critical of Air Force programs in able to find savings and wasted resources.

Sorry to disagree but you are not thinking strategically and are putting the cart before the horse.

It’s much better for everyone involved to just tout the program and not criticize any existing methodologies unless you have adequate top-cover to thoroughly bash someone else’s handling of Air Force resources.

The idea is to get some momentum going by letting everyone know about “airmen powered by innovation” first. Then I suppose you can go looking for ways to cut dollars in programs of any rival you might have.

Just remember to have your ducks in a row and sufficient top-cover in place before you suggest anything.

I think “airmen powered by innovation” has been a tremendous success thus far because my troops and I have reaped significant advantages in terms of EPR bullets just helping advertise it.

I expect by next quarter there will have been a few real dollar saving suggestions made and I’m already prepared to take partial credit for those in our EPRs, so I’d say it has been a real success thus far.

John Jameson
04-26-2013, 05:54 PM

My guess is that the existing programs have become so mired in red tape that they don't work very well any more. This is a direct avenue to the top. Again, just a guess on my part.

Pullinteeth
04-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Is this binary code for something?

1 Oct 2011/October 1st 2011/however people write dates....

Pullinteeth
04-26-2013, 06:43 PM
idea #4 Stop issuing new uniforms for every deployment. Most Airmen will never leave the base when they deploy. The ABUs which they were issued or purchased (with their clothing allowance) should be just fine.

A lot of units did just that effective 20111001... They took a CENTCOM policy to stop issuing them in the AOR and applied it to pre-deployment as well...

sandsjames
04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
A lot of units did just that effective 20111001... Is this binary code for something?

drc100882
04-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Great story in the AF Times this week about an IG complaint that Gen Wolfenbarger's husband is traveling.... without her.... to a few bases... no reason cited.

So my thoughts are: if we can't send our 2 star to the Senior Leaders Conference, why does her husband get to travel to bases on AF dollars?

I'm drafting my Every Dollar Counts Initiative submission.

BONUS: The Every Dollar Counts thing is headed up by Vice Chief of Staff Gen Larry Spencer........ who also signed the memo allowing spouses to travel WITH their AD person. I guess I fail to see why spouses are allowed to travel at all...