PDA

View Full Version : Family remembers pilot killed in F-16 crash

FLAPS
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
This isn't meant to be disrespectful to the Steel family, but just a hunch that the family of the Private, Corporal, A1C, etc (son or daughter of a retired MSgt) probably won't convince Air Force Times to dedicate an entire page of their print edition to memorialize the life of their lost child.

Rank of the parent and the fallen's prestigious job title really do make the story...just like the loss of a celebrity.

Tak
04-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Kinda funny, on one hand AF acts as if rank doesnt matter and every single
Airman is absolutely critical to the mission, on the other rank permeates in
Every single aspect of AF.

BlueScourge
04-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Well it came across as very disrespectful and in poor taste.

I worked with Capt Steel for several years and called him a friend, I can tell you that he is every bit the person that the article highlighted. He was respected and liked by everyone I know, from the lowest ranking Airmen to the Wing Commander. He was always respectful to the enlisted as well, I always saw him go out of the way to make sure that he listened to them and respected them. As the Mobility guy he took care of people and did his best to make sure that his people (MX included) got the best possible deal. When he got a shit job he just smiled and attacked it with enthusiasm that we should all hope to have. He was a good guy, a good leader, and his death is no less or no more tragic than anyone else who has laid their life down in defense of this nation.

You gripe about the Air Force Times putting an article out about Capt Steel, but I have seen articles on here when other pilots, TACP's, combat controllers, Security Forces, or other Airmen are killed. We as the Air Force are relatively fortunate that we haven't suffered a lot of KIA compared to the Army and Marines, when an Airmen is killed it tends to be a bigger deal. Frankly this post just came across as bitter.

FLAPS
04-16-2013, 01:43 AM

I worked with Capt Steel for several years and called him a friend, I can tell you that he is every bit the person that the article highlighted. He was respected and liked by everyone I know, from the lowest ranking Airmen to the Wing Commander. He was always respectful to the enlisted as well, I always saw him go out of the way to make sure that he listened to them and respected them. As the Mobility guy he took care of people and did his best to make sure that his people (MX included) got the best possible deal. When he got a shit job he just smiled and attacked it with enthusiasm that we should all hope to have. He was a good guy, a good leader, and his death is no less or no more tragic than anyone else who has laid their life down in defense of this nation.

You gripe about the Air Force Times putting an article out about Capt Steel, but I have seen articles on here when other pilots, TACP's, combat controllers, Security Forces, or other Airmen are killed. We as the Air Force are relatively fortunate that we haven't suffered a lot of KIA compared to the Army and Marines, when an Airmen is killed it tends to be a bigger deal. Frankly this post just came across as bitter.

Whatever dude. I have no doubt Capt Steel deserved this story, but that was not the focus of my thread. Not one bit. Also, what makes you think I'm bitter?

BlueScourge
04-16-2013, 02:07 AM
First, sorry about the bitter comment, I was a bit ticked about the thread.

Second, it may not have been the focus but I thought it needed to be said about a good guy. As for your actual purpose I think the AFT has done a decent job of honoring fallen Airmen of all ranks. So I disagree with your statement about his parents/rank being the only reason he got a write up. It has also been the only write up about him outside of the initial report on AFT, so I don't see where he has gotten undue attention as opposed to prior fallen Airmen. Do I think rank has its privelages in the Air Force? Absolutely. Do I think the AFT wrote an article about Capt Steel simply because of his rank/family? No.

Robert F. Dorr
04-16-2013, 02:15 AM
This isn't meant to be disrespectful to the Steel family, but just a hunch that the family of the Private, Corporal, A1C, etc (son or daughter of a retired MSgt) probably won't convince Air Force Times to dedicate an entire page of their print edition to memorialize the life of their lost child.

Rank of the parent and the fallen's prestigious job title really do make the story...just like the loss of a celebrity.

I don't speak on behalf of Air Force Times in any way -- only for myself -- but I believe you're mistaken. I recall other stories of similar length about lost airmen who did not have these kinds of connections.

JD2780
04-16-2013, 02:36 AM

Show me the front page for Jacob Frazier, Raymond Losano, Brad Smith, Mark Forester and Danny Sanchez. I can post more. These are just ones I knew. I don't know the cops, eod, LRS troops that have been killed, but I don't think they got anywhere near the pub as this guy. Yes, he was probably a well respected guy and officer. The names I listed were well liked, well respected and kicked ass at their jobs as well. They didnt however, get the pub the good Capt did. I'm not taking anything away from the capt, but it appears your dad does still influence much when you're the son of a general.