PDA

View Full Version : So why no WWII Air Force Miniseries?

crwchf16
04-11-2013, 12:07 AM
I was watching The Pacific from HBO recently and it got me to thinking. Both it and Band of Brothers are absolutely superb war epics, told from the perspective of the guys on the ground. I take nothing away from veterans of either theater and have nothing but the deepest respect for them but as for HBO, I have a question for you. Why has there been no such dramatic series done to honor the Air Force's contribution in World War II? The whole war was a group effort and those heroes on the ground would never have even left their bases to go fight unless the Air Force had not knocked the German and Japanese air forces on their heels and severely hammered the ground defenses. They did this at a pretty severe cost to themselves too. Back me up on the numbers here Bob, but I believe the 8th Air Force lost more men in the skies over Europe than the entire USMC did in the Pacific theater. For that matter, the Marines' losses would have been far more devastating had the 509th Composite Group's atomic knock-out punch not destroyed the Japanese will to fight. I'm sure with a little digging the execs at HBO could piece together a good story that would honor our airmen forefathers.
OK, rant over. What do you guys think?

Robert F. Dorr
04-11-2013, 12:22 AM
I was watching The Pacific from HBO recently and it got me to thinking. Both it and Band of Brothers are absolutely superb war epics, told from the perspective of the guys on the ground. I take nothing away from veterans of either theater and have nothing but the deepest respect for them but as for HBO, I have a question for you. Why has there been no such dramatic series done to honor the Air Force's contribution in World War II? The whole war was a group effort and those heroes on the ground would never have even left their bases to go fight unless the Air Force had not knocked the German and Japanese air forces on their heels and severely hammered the ground defenses. They did this at a pretty severe cost to themselves too. Back me up on the numbers here Bob, but I believe the 8th Air Force lost more men in the skies over Europe than the entire USMC did in the Pacific theater. For that matter, the Marines' losses would have been far more devastating had the 509th Composite Group's atomic knock-out punch not destroyed the Japanese will to fight. I'm sure with a little digging the execs at HBO could piece together a good story that would honor our airmen forefathers.
OK, rant over. What do you guys think?

Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who produced the "Band of Brothers" television series, have bought the rights to "Masters of the Air" by Donald Miller (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr) to make a television series next year. Not precisely as you put it crwchf16 but the Army Air Forces lost more men in combat than the Marine Corps. Angelina Jolie (who purchased a copy of one of my books from me, face-to-face) is signed up to direct the movie based on "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr).

My opinion is that it was the B-29 Superfortress campaign, not the atomic bombs, that made it unnecessary to have amphibious landings at Kyushu in late 1945 and in Tokyo Bay in early 1946. One of my other current books, "Mission to Tokyo," also not optioned for film. covers that.

Being in a B-17 Flying Fortress in Europe was easily as hard or harder than being in the infantry, armor or artillery.

JD2780
04-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who produced the "Band of Brothers" television series, have bought the rights to "Masters of the Air" by Donald Miller (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr) to make a television series next year. Not precisely as you put it crwchf16 but the Army Air Forces lost more men in combat than the Marine Corps. Angelina Jolie (who purchased a copy of one of my books from me, face-to-face) is signed up to direct the movie based on "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr).

My opinion is that it was the B-29 Superfortress campaign, not the atomic bombs, that made it unnecessary to have amphibious landings at Kyushu in late 1945 and in Tokyo Bay in early 1946. One of my other current books, "Mission to Tokyo," also not optioned for film. covers that.

Being in a B-17 Flying Fortress in Europe was easily as hard or harder than being in the infantry, armor or artillery.

I read unbroken. Truly an amazing story. RFD I'll pick up msn to Berlin eventually but right now I'm concentrating on my educational books.

PortDawg2T2
04-11-2013, 01:26 AM
The simple answer is that the Air Force did not fight in WWII. :biggrin

Thunderhorse19
04-11-2013, 03:06 AM
I think the 315th Bomb Wing would be an ideal organization for a mini-series on the USAAF B-29s during WWII. They formed in Lincoln, Nebraska and flew their planes across country, and arrived on Guam in 1945, a few months before the end of the war. My father was assigned to the 315th and was the historian for many years. My father passed away in 2007. I've enclosed a link to the 315th: http://www.315bw.org/

raider8169
04-11-2013, 03:38 AM
If this were to happen which unit would you have the story be based around? There are not many that I could think of off hand that would make a good miniseries unless you include one where people go shot down and became POWs.

LogDog
04-11-2013, 04:57 AM
I believe there was a TV series in the 1960 called "12 O'Clock High" about the Army-Air Forces stationed in England during WWII. It wasn't a miniseries but a weekly drama about the men who flew B17s over Germany.

Kicker47
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I recently watched a Direct-to-DVD movie called "Fortress that was about a B-17 crew in 1943. It was done by the same team that produces "Dogfights" on the History Channel. While the plot and characters are a little weak, the visuals are very well done. I found it on DVD in Walmart for $10, and I think it's on Netflix now. Worth watching if you have an interest in the topic and have 90 minutes to spare.

Would love to see a mini-series or movie based on Stephen Ambrose's The Wild Blue.

ttribe
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I always thought a Flying Tigers movie could be great. Part drama, with a good touch of comedy.

And, yes I know that they were not AAF of other US mil, but mercenary/contractors.

It looks like Hollywood has had a few starts and stops with the Tigers. http://www.warbirdforum.com/movies.htm I like the thought of a Harrison Ford as Chennault. Not sure who would play Pappy B.

garhkal
04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
What of giving the squids some lovin?

sandsjames
04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
I know these aren't miniseries' but you guys are forgetting Pearl Harbor and Red Tails, two of the most accurate depictions of air forces during the era.

MACHINE666
04-11-2013, 07:50 PM
There will never be an Air Force WWII movie because there was no PT standard back then, no smoking cessation, HAWC, MEO or SARC office available! How else can commanders hypnotize the masses into drinking the Blue Kool-Aid??

:D :D :D :D :D

Robert F. Dorr
04-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I think the 315th Bomb Wing would be an ideal organization for a mini-series on the USAAF B-29s during WWII. They formed in Lincoln, Nebraska and flew their planes across country, and arrived on Guam in 1945, a few months before the end of the war. My father was assigned to the 315th and was the historian for many years. My father passed away in 2007. I've enclosed a link to the 315th: http://www.315bw.org/

Covered in my latest book "MISSION TO TOKYO" which is available for option to the movies.

Robert F. Dorr
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I am old enough to remember WW II as it was happening and even reading newspaper accounts of actions of the time with war news. It is my personal belief that the politicians running the military during WW II gave credit to the bomber generals for winning the war. Similar to what Mr Dorr says about the B-29 bomb runs over Japan. That led to the bomber generals running the Air Force until Iraq. Then the fighter pilots took control of the Air Force and that's when the downhill slide of the Air Force began. All the changes the fighter pilots brought to the Air Force made it unrecognizable as the Air Force I served in for 26 years. I am not saying this is accurate, just stating my personal opinon. To stay true to the thread though I will add, "25 Seconds Over Tokyo" as another movie about the Air Force during WW II.

You just clipped five seconds off the title.

Pullinteeth
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM

USMC is part of the Navy so....no squid lovin!:bathbaby Course back then the AF was part of the Army so...:plane

BENDER56
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Below is a link to a horribly incomplete list, but here it is for what it's worth. (Both the movie and the TV show 12 O'clock High are missing from this list.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_Air_Force_in_films

The last TV show I can recall that featured the USAF was Call to Glory with Craig T. Nelson back in the '80s -- it's also absent from the above-linked list. Hell, the list doesn't even have Wings, the first movie to win a best-picture Oscar.

MrMiracle
04-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Wasn't there a WWII era show in the 80s about the pilots flying out of China called "Black Sheep Squadron"? I remember very little about it.

Stalwart
04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Wasn't there a WWII era show in the 80s about the pilots flying out of China called "Black Sheep Squadron"? I remember very little about it.

That was based on a Marine Corps squadron (VMA-214).

Robert F. Dorr
04-12-2013, 08:22 PM
That was based on a Marine Corps squadron (VMA-214).

That was their name later. At the time, they were VMF-214.

Stalwart
04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
That was their name later. At the time, they were VMF-214.

My mistake.

Tak
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Staring at the phone. It's not ringing. No call from The Coast.

Airpower takes on Nazi zombie sluts.

Ring ring

Robert F. Dorr
05-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Covered in my latest book "MISSION TO TOKYO" which is available for option to the movies.

Staring at the phone. It's not ringing. No call from The Coast.

KellyinAvon
05-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Airpower takes on Nazi zombie sluts.

Ring ring

That's not a miniseries, that's a summer big-screen blockbuster! It's got nazis, zombies AND sluts?? A little something for everyone.

RobotChicken
05-20-2013, 02:50 AM
:spy The same reason they don't make WW-I army air corp movies, no real 'actors'..! My mom's dad was there in France....:photo

Robert F. Dorr
05-29-2013, 12:52 AM
That's not a miniseries, that's a summer big-screen blockbuster! It's got nazis, zombies AND sluts?? A little something for everyone.

He forgot the vampires.

BURAWSKI
05-29-2013, 01:27 AM

We dont' need it!

Robert F. Dorr
05-29-2013, 01:55 AM
:spy The same reason they don't make WW-I army air corp movies, no real 'actors'..! My mom's dad was there in France....:photo

There was no Army Air Corps in the Great War. That didn't happen until July 2, 1926. However, I think a lot of people would like to hear about your grandfather. I know I would. Especially if you could disclose something without using those infantile images.

RobotChicken
05-29-2013, 07:50 AM
He forgot the vampires.
:brick The 'Brits' had 'Vampire jets'.....:omfg::damnit-sign2:

RobotChicken
05-29-2013, 07:57 AM
There was no Army Air Corps in the Great War. That didn't happen until July 2, 1926. However, I think a lot of people would like to hear about your grandfather. I know I would. Especially if you could disclose something without using those infantile images.
:plane "US Army Air Service; France, servicing US Army AIR SERVICE AIR CRAFT". :damnit-sign2:

Robert F. Dorr
05-29-2013, 02:29 PM
:brick The 'Brits' had 'Vampire jets'.....:omfg::damnit-sign2:

Oh, please, get rid of those childish pictograms. The "Vampires" are the 44th Fighter Squadron. Everybody knows that.

imported_chipotleboy
05-29-2013, 02:56 PM
I would like to see the 80s series "Call to Glory" rebooted from the 60s Air Force to today's Air Force:

Episode 1 -- Craig T. Nelson's character comes back from a long deployment and wants to wash down the trail dust at the club--to find that alcohol has been 'deglamorized', and is referred for counseling for drinking more than two beers
Episode 2 -- Sad about the events in episode 1, Craig T. Nelson's character goes off base to celebrate his fighter jock status, only to get beat up after trying to feel up a tranny
Episode 3 -- Craig T. Nelson's character is sent off to Creech AFB to lay low after his humiliation in Episode 2. He is further humiliated when he is switched from flying F-15s to UAVs. He sinks further into the bottle, until he finds Jesus.
Episode 4 -- Craig T Nelson's character gets into trouble for trying to make everybody else find Jesus.
Episode 5 -- After getting into so much trouble, the Air Force decides Craig T. Nelson's character must be doing something right, so he is promoted to Brigadier General and transferred to Wright-Patterson
Episode 6 -- Dayton Daily News does an expose on the Air Force's newest Brigadier General, discovering that when he was a Lieutenant Colonel at Wright-Patt some years earlier, he was arrested for soliciting prostitution. The case was quietly handled by Air Force military justice. The Air Force refuses to comment, citing the Privacy Act.
Episode 7 -- Craig T. Nelson's character is reassigned to the Air Force Academy to teach a course on ethics.
Episode 8 -- Craig T. Nelson's character is finally forced to quietly retire from the Air Force, and takes a lucrative executive job with a defense contractor. His son and daughter are both given slots at the Air Force Academy, where the staff makes sure their rampant misbehavior is kept quiet and unpunished.

RobotChicken
07-07-2013, 06:44 PM
" 'McHale's Navy' pretty much covered the Navy side of things. 'Stripes' nailed the USAFE in action; And our all time favorite...'Dr.Strangelove' could still be redone today the Exactly the same way with different actors."

omertalifestyle
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Any recent USAF or AAF movies always seem to center around the Tuskegee Airmen. Not saying they don't deserve the respect as they overcame a lot and kicked ass. The only time the Air Force seems to get featured in any capacity now is when there is some sort of unrealistic sci-fi flick, and it pretty much shows the Air Force getting owned by a giant robot or some sort of super villain. I think a good mini series that could be made would feature different eras of flight from the early balloon units to the wright brothers, to WWI air combat, WWII air combat...etc.

Rusty Jones
07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm not so sure that WWII is really a good war for an Air Force mini-series since, technically, the Army can lay claim for anything that the "Air Force" did in WWII.

One thing that might be difficult to get around is the fact that the first American general to die in WWII was Army Air Corps Brigadier General Nathan Beford Forrest III - the great-grandson of that famous Confederate General.

How about Korea; since that was the first war where the US Air Force was really able to shine?