PDA

View Full Version : Airmen slathering themselves in hemorrhoid cream

Absinthe Anecdote
04-06-2013, 05:24 PM
There are some classic quotes in this article!

I’ll post a link to the story but I’m not sure it will work for everyone.

Some of my favorite lines:

“I see these people who look like a bratwurst in their uniform, and it makes me furious…”

“He rode the wave of medical profiles for years because of a damaged toe on his right foot…”

“At 6-foot-4 and weighing in at 280 pounds, he's a big dude, which is not a bad thing for a security forces airman.”

“Who do you want to see at your gate representing and protecting you,” he asked. “You'll think twice before you do something against me versus someone skinny.”

“He was tired — physically from lack of sleep and cutting calories and mentally from playing what he considered a game.”

“I'm not going to say I wasn't unhealthy, because I was,” he said. “But I was doing my best to get better. I was taking responsibility for it and not wanting to be one of those people who rides the system and look where I'm at now. I lost my career because I didn't want to play the game.”

“The whole time I was PT testing, I cried,” she said. “You see a lot of people doing that here.”

“They're making me do remedial PT,” she said. “It doesn't matter if I'm injured. I couldn't handle it anymore.”

“They want people to be frail,” she said. “If we go to war and I get shot, a frail person isn't going to be able to carry me. I've seen people who have no body fat, who are bodybuilders, fail. If they exceed the tape measurement, they get kicked out.”

It’s a pretty good article and the author tries to cover the story in a sympathetic manner but some of those quotes are prime examples of whining!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sppZDfBqSgwJ:www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130402/CAREERS/304020018/Airmen-share-tales-drastic-dieting-lost-careers+Airmen+share+tales+of+drastic+dieting+and+ lost+careers&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Steve-OK
04-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force James Cody has made looking into the make-or-break waist measure one of the top priorities.

“If we can't fix this thing in six months, we need to come to terms with the fact that it just may be too hard to fix, or it's not worth where we're putting all our energy to try to get rid of it,” Cody said in a Feb. 21 interview with Air Force Times.

Here's an easy fix...GET RID OF IT. A waist measurement that doesn't take height or age into consideration proves nothing!
A PT test should be a measurement of your physical abilities!!

Absinthe Anecdote
04-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force James Cody has made looking into the make-or-break waist measure one of the top priorities.

“If we can't fix this thing in six months, we need to come to terms with the fact that it just may be too hard to fix, or it's not worth where we're putting all our energy to try to get rid of it,” Cody said in a Feb. 21 interview with Air Force Times.

Here's an easy fix...GET RID OF IT. A waist measurement that doesn't take height or age into consideration proves nothing!A PT test should be a measurement of your physical abilities!!

I don’t know, even though I am not active duty anymore, I kind of like having the waist measurement around.

Seriously, a 40 inch waist is fat and unacceptable in my opinion.

I don’t care how tall or old you are; a 40 inch abdominal circumference is totally out of control.

Hell, 38 inches is bad enough but 40? That’s fat!

I can see people complaining about inconsistent measurements or inconsistent application of disciplinary measures. That’s a whole different issue if you ask me.

Bottom line is that if you let yourself get above a 36 measurement and someone starts pressuring you to trim down, they are doing you a huge favor!

KellyinAvon
04-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Big Blue was obsessed with anorexics since the days of the fat-boy program. The difference now is it's not the occasional Sq Section commander with the MCM (Manual for Court-Martial, Bob) on his desk or the ex-college basketball player Sq/CC, the entire system is geared towards this kind of insanity.

This crap started when Doc was USAF/CV, he was behind the new fitness standards. Bike test was ridiculous, I was glad to see it go. When I saw waist measurement had more impact on passing than push ups/sit ups I knew Doc was behind it, sure as sh!t wasn't Jumper.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Big Blue was obsessed with anorexics since the days of the fat-boy program. The difference now is it's not the occasional Sq Section commander with the MCM (Manual for Court-Martial, Bob) on his desk or the ex-college basketball player Sq/CC, the entire system is geared towards this kind of insanity.

This crap started when Doc was USAF/CV, he was behind the new fitness standards. Bike test was ridiculous, I was glad to see it go. When I saw waist measurement had more impact on passing than push ups/sit ups I knew Doc was behind it, sure as sh!t wasn't Jumper.

You don’t think Doc looked good in a flight suit?

With his Vulcan haircut, trim and fit profile, I think he cut an impressive figure.

Are you more of a Fogleman fan?

RobotChicken
04-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Should have joined 'Starfleet' then....wrinkle free uniform, but noooo salutes, just Chiefs and officers.

Airborne
04-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Seemed like most in the article were reservists and were testing abdominal only with some sort of surgical issue. Not the ideal data pool.

imported_AFKILO7
04-07-2013, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=Absinthe Anecdote;617461]There are some classic quotes in this article!

“At 6-foot-4 and weighing in at 280 pounds, he's a big dude, which is not a bad thing for a security forces airman.”

“Who do you want to see at your gate representing and protecting you,” he asked. “You'll think twice before you do something against me versus someone skinny.”

I read the article and the Security Forces Airmen is a fat ass. The picture of the guy was NOT flattering and besides if I wasn't a Security Forces guy I wouldn't want that guy at my gate. As a Security Forces guy I really don't want you there you make us look like a group of fat asses.

RobotChicken
04-07-2013, 01:38 AM
:hat Works on eyelids though, cougars that is, not the :car type....

JD2780
04-07-2013, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE=Absinthe Anecdote;617461]There are some classic quotes in this article!

I read the article and the Security Forces Airmen is a fat ass. The picture of the guy was NOT flattering and besides if I wasn't a Security Forces guy I wouldn't want that guy at my gate. As a Security Forces guy I really don't want you there you make us look like a group of fat asses.

Plus he probably couldnt chase kids off of the playground equipement without getting winded.

RobotChicken
04-07-2013, 01:48 AM
:hat 'Equipment' that he had should have 'tasered' them and saved his breath.

KellyinAvon
04-07-2013, 01:54 AM
You don’t think Doc looked good in a flight suit?

With his Vulcan haircut, trim and fit profile, I think he cut an impressive figure.

Are you more of a Fogleman fan?

Doc was the only individual in the USAF more despised than Skeletor McPeak for a reason. Did you miss the mid-2000s when AFN was the All Foglesong Network? Most meth addicts have a similar profile.

General Fogleman was a leader, Doc was a narcissist who surrounded himself with yes-men/women and ruled through fear.

Outback 1982
04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Dont expect it to go away. They just Canned a WG/CC and have far too much invested, our WG/CCC can not tie two words together without mentioning PT.

MACHINE666
04-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Doc was the only individual in the USAF more despised than Skeletor McPeak for a reason. Did you miss the mid-2000s when AFN was the All Foglesong Network? Most meth addicts have a similar profile.

General Fogleman was a leader, Doc was a narcissist who surrounded himself with yes-men/women and ruled through fear.

*LOL* All Fogelsong Network.

You know, I would see those stupid Combat Proud commercials back in 2004/05 time frame when I was in the Kunsan gym at 0530 in the morning? I was like "WTF are we doing, seeing USAFE commercials all the way over here in PACAF????" Alas, now I know why.

Perhaps when old "Doc" finally kicks the bucket, we can reanimate his corpse into a zombie and have him recreate those awful AFN spots? Too funny!

:D :D :D :D :D

Absinthe Anecdote
04-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Zombie Doc? Would anyone be able to tell the difference?
I only the saw the mandatory Doc every 45 minutes propaganda when I was at the Deid in 05. He was the only one who ever had a good camera angle. Tell me that wasn't on purpose!

I was at Osan shortly after his stint as 51 FW/CC or 7th AF/CC?

People seemed very happy to see him go. I think his wife had something to do with blocking or censoring R-rated movies on AFN programming for a short time. Anyone remember that?

Anyway, hemorrhoid cream is probably more interesting to talk about.

KellyinAvon
04-07-2013, 09:49 PM
*LOL* All Fogelsong Network.

You know, I would see those stupid Combat Proud commercials back in 2004/05 time frame when I was in the Kunsan gym at 0530 in the morning? I was like "WTF are we doing, seeing USAFE commercials all the way over here in PACAF????" Alas, now I know why.

Perhaps when old "Doc" finally kicks the bucket, we can reanimate his corpse into a zombie and have him recreate those awful AFN spots? Too funny!

Zombie Doc? Would anyone be able to tell the difference?
I only the saw the mandatory Doc every 45 minutes propaganda when I was at the Deid in 05. He was the only one who ever had a good camera angle. Tell me that wasn't on purpose!

OtisRNeedleman
04-07-2013, 10:41 PM

General Fogleman was indeed a leader, a much-needed breath of fresh air after McPeak.

Hearing about the All Fogelsong Network reminded me of being in basic intel officer school at Lowry AFB in 81-82. At that time the commander was a two-star named Titus Hall. When you looked at the Lowry base paper Titus' likeness was all over it. I thought of the base paper as The Titusville Herald.

Robert F. Dorr
04-07-2013, 11:14 PM
So tell me more about Doc.

Don't pull any punches.

BTW (Google it), Absinthe Anecdote wins the award for the best title for a thread.

KellyinAvon
04-07-2013, 11:37 PM
So tell me more about Doc.

Don't pull any punches.

BTW (Google it), Absinthe Anecdote wins the award for the best title for a thread.

Hey Bob, just saw you on the Military Channel, Top Secret Weapons Revealed. You were commenting on US Navy power in the 80s around the time of the Korean airliner shootdown.
Secret Nazi Weapons are next, any comments on the ME-262? I'll have to watch and see.

PickYourBattles
04-08-2013, 08:20 AM

Fogleman was awesome. I can't think of any CoS since him that has impressed me.

technomage1
04-08-2013, 11:15 AM
When Fogelong was canned as president of missisippi state, I saw 30 year foreign civil servants cheer.

I'm not sure who wrote his Wikipedia article, but they danced masterfully around the fact he was almost universally hated.

imported_AFKILO7
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Doc was a piece of monkey shit and I hope he catches the most severe case of STD and lives in pain for the rest of his miserable life.

wxjumper
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=Absinthe Anecdote;617461]

Really? Your first priority on picking who should work the front gate is somebody who looks sharp in a uniform and not somebody who provides the best ability to protect the base? This right here is a perfect microcosm of what is wrong with the current mindset in the Air Force today.

imported_CLSE
04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I was at Osan shortly after his stint as 51 FW/CC or 7th AF/CC?

People seemed very happy to see him go. I think his wife had something to do with blocking or censoring R-rated movies on AFN programming for a short time. Anyone remember that?

Anyway, hemorrhoid cream is probably more interesting to talk about.

Yeah, he was 51FW CC. and the story was that his wife caught their kids watching the Star Channel (Taiwan) skin flicks at 2 in the morning.

Instead of punishing their kids like responsible parents do and reminding his wife that not everybody on that base had their families with them, he decided to cut the whole base off.

Filterbing
04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I just read his wikipedia entry and found he put combat proud in place at mississippi state." He also oversaw a significant improvement to the school's facilitites and grounds saving long standing traditional landscaping during a severe drought [13] including daffodil bulbs from donated plants which had been on the campus for decades." Hilarious!

JD2780
04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=AFKILO7;617519]

Really? Your first priority on picking who should work the front gate is somebody who looks sharp in a uniform and not somebody who provides the best ability to protect the base? This right here is a perfect microcosm of what is wrong with the current mindset in the Air Force today.
How about we don't pick the fat ass or the skinny twig. Instead we pick somebody that is in good shape over all. Won't die in the first 50 feet of a sprint and when he/she does catch up to them has enough strength and stamina to do the job.

wxjumper
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=
JD2780;617699]
How about we don't pick the fat ass or the skinny twig. Instead we pick somebody that is in good shape over all. Won't die in the first 50 feet of a sprint and when he/she does catch up to them has enough strength and stamina to do the job. The most important question though, does he look dapper in a uniform? Because I guarantee you that all those kids I lapped in the 1.5 mile run look better in uniform then a barrel chested guy like myself.

jerseyfla
04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I wish they would've asked someone who failed recently like me.

I'm a dedicated distance runner, I run 3 miles 4-5 times a week and I do push ups and sit ups of 3 reps of 20 each every time before I run. I failed my waist by 1/2 an inch. I was 6'1" 213 lbs when I tested last month, which was 2 pounds less than 6 months before when I got a 37.5 inch waist measurement. How does losing 2 pounds but gaining 2 inches make sense? Now I'll admit my diet was the cause of that because honestly, I had the old school thought of well I exercised and I'm maintaining weight so I can't be doing too bad and I could give a rats behind about calories.

When I failed it was the first time in my 12 1/2 year career and I was devastated but it only got worse as my Squadron Superintendent is a PT fanatic and instead of me re-testing in 42 days (2 Weeks from today) she pushed for 90 days to make sure I pass, even though she knows I work out 4-5 times a week. I think walking out on the test after failing the waist had something to do with it. My frustration is subsided somewhat now but I keep telling myself and my peers "This is BS!" and the fact that I have to work out under the supervision of a PTL 5 days a week (No weekends) to be documented on a 1975 but my calories aren't asked to be logged is not synching right with me. I purely see my failure as a diet issue and after documenting 2 weeks of running 3 miles a day 5 days a week for cardio, my superintendent tells me "You're going to kill your knees and injure yourself. You don't want to be like me and go on profiles" I'm thinking to myself "Yea, I do that's how I keep my job and the VA will cover my disabilities afterwards". Well, I'm down 9 pounds (204) but I feel after failing that I get looked at by leadership differently with very few people including my flight superintendent being supportive to help myself recover and have this never happen again.

Oh and BTW I have never been on profile in my career. Most in the article were.

sandsjames
04-08-2013, 05:14 PM

I'm a dedicated distance runner, I run 3 miles 4-5 times a week and I do push ups and sit ups of 3 reps of 20 each every time before I run. I failed my waist by 1/2 an inch. I was 6'1" 213 lbs when I tested last month, which was 2 pounds less than 6 months before when I got a 37.5 inch waist measurement. How does losing 2 pounds but gaining 2 inches make sense? Now I'll admit my diet was the cause of that because honestly, I had the old school thought of well I exercised and I'm maintaining weight so I can't be doing too bad and I could give a rats behind about calories.

When I failed it was the first time in my 12 1/2 year career and I was devastated but it only got worse as my Superintendent is a PT fiend and instead of me re-testing in 42 days (2 Weeks from today) she pushed for 90 days to make sure I pass, even though she knows I work out 4-5 times a week. I think walking out on the test after failing the waist had something to do with it. My frustration is subsided somewhat now but I keep telling myself and my peers "This is BS!" and the fact that I have to work out under the supervision of a PTL 5 days a week (No weekends) to be documented on a 1975 but my calories aren't asked to be logged is not synching right with me. I purely see my failure as a diet issue and after documenting 2 weeks of running 3 miles a day 5 days a week for cardio, my superintendent tells me "You're going to kill your knees and injure yourself. You don't want to be like me and go on profiles" I'm thinking to myself "Yea, I do that's how I keep my job and the VA will cover my disabilities afterwards". Well, I'm down 9 pounds (204) but I feel after failing that I've been kinda ostracized at work and I get looked at by leadership differently with very few people being supportive to help myself recover and have this never happen again.

The mandatory 5 day a week has absolutely nothing to do with you getting in shape. It's all about people covering their asses. If they cared about us getting in shape they'd have PT workouts that actually do something useful.

Koa1121
04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
The waist measurement is ok. Being 6'7" tall I can tell you it is damn hard to be anything under 36.5" for myself, and I usually reside around 37" and still look skinny. Although that isn't failing, it puts me a a few point handicap off the bat. I can't see the science that says a 37" waist on someone 6'7" tall is just as "unhealthy" as a 37" waist on someone 5'1" tall. Doesn't make any sense. Height needs to be considered at least on a point scale.

Another pet peeve is- Why is the max waist if you're testing Waist only, 1.5" less? It would seem that if you're waist only, it's because you're unable to physically do the other components due to some sort of injury/medical condition which prevents you from exercising. And, if you can't exercise for something like a knee surgery, most likely you will put in a few lbs in the recovery process. Making the max smaller for those individuals seems very unfair.

WeaponsTSGT
04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
The waist measurement is ok. Being 6'7" tall I can tell you it is damn hard to be anything under 36.5" for myself, and I usually reside around 37" and still look skinny. Although that isn't failing, it puts me a a few point handicap off the bat. I can't see the science that says a 37" waist on someone 6'7" tall is just as "unhealthy" as a 37" waist on someone 5'1" tall. Doesn't make any sense. Height needs to be considered at least on a point scale.

Another pet peeve is- Why is the max waist if you're testing Waist only, 1.5" less? It would seem that if you're waist only, it's because you're unable to physically do the other components due to some sort of injury/medical condition which prevents you from exercising. And, if you can't exercise for something like a knee surgery, most likely you will put in a few lbs in the recovery process. Making the max smaller for those individuals seems very unfair.

I've had 5 back surgeries in the past 4 years, prior to that I was 6' 170lbs and a competitive triathlete training for the military triathlon, then came the back injuries. I am currently waist only and have gained 30 lbs, it is very tough to maintain my waist below 37.5, but routinely come in around 36" as long as I have two week to prep for it. But I agree how is it that 39" is okay until you go waist only.

imported_AFKILO7
04-09-2013, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=JD2780;617703]The most important question though, does he look dapper in a uniform? Because I guarantee you that all those kids I lapped in the 1.5 mile run look better in uniform then a barrel chested guy like myself.

The picture of the guy made it blatantly obvious he suffers from "dunlap disease". Secondly, if you are showing a beer gut in PT gear you are not lapping anyone...except at the chow hall. I'm 5'10" and have a 37-38 inch waist, but I can max out push-ups/sit-ups and my run is 11:20-11:40. You can be a big guy and not be the male version of a dependapotamus.

JD2780
04-09-2013, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=wxjumper;617705]

The picture of the guy made it blatantly obvious he suffers from "dunlap disease". Secondly, if you are showing a beer gut in PT gear you are not lapping anyone...except at the chow hall. I'm 5'10" and have a 37-38 inch waist, but I can max out push-ups/sit-ups and my run is 11:20-11:40. You can be a big guy and not be the male version of a dependapotamus.

You described me minus the run. 6'1" 225 ran a 10:30 had a 35.5 usually.

JD2780
04-09-2013, 01:40 AM
[QUOTE=wxjumper;617705]

You described me minus the run. 6'1" 225 ran a 10:30 had a 35.5 to a 37 depending who is taping.

imported_AFKILO7
04-09-2013, 02:01 AM
The upgrade to the forums isn't that good.

giggawatt
04-09-2013, 11:18 AM

When I failed it was the first time in my 12 1/2 year career and I was devastated but it only got worse as my Squadron Superintendent is a PT fanatic and instead of me re-testing in 42 days (2 Weeks from today) she pushed for 90 days to make sure I pass, even though she knows I work out 4-5 times a week. I think walking out on the test after failing the waist had something to do with it. My frustration is subsided somewhat now but I keep telling myself and my peers "This is BS!" and the fact that I have to work out under the supervision of a PTL 5 days a week (No weekends) to be documented on a 1975 but my calories aren't asked to be logged is not synching right with me. I purely see my failure as a diet issue and after documenting 2 weeks of running 3 miles a day 5 days a week for cardio, my superintendent tells me "You're going to kill your knees and injure yourself. You don't want to be like me and go on profiles" I'm thinking to myself "Yea, I do that's how I keep my job and the VA will cover my disabilities afterwards". Well, I'm down 9 pounds (204) but I feel after failing that I get looked at by leadership differently with very few people including my flight superintendent being supportive to help myself recover and have this never happen again.

Oh and BTW I have never been on profile in my career. Most in the article were.

You can't out train a bad diet.

jerseyfla
04-09-2013, 04:03 PM
You can't out train a bad diet.

Yep. Now I know. I've been getting "loosely" measured weekly and I'm at a 38" waist now but of course I have to wait another two months because of my Sq Sup.

MACHINE666
04-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Doc was a piece of monkey shit and I hope he catches the most severe case of STD and lives in pain for the rest of his miserable life.

What? Why would you wish such a horrible thing on an STD?