PDA

View Full Version : "I love me" wall

SomeRandomGuy
04-05-2013, 05:35 PM
So i have been bouncing this idea off a few people and I am considering doint it. We all know someone who has a massive "I love me" wall in their office. This is the place where they keep all of their awards and coins from their career. This is especially common in customer service positions. I have had several supervisors who had a massive amount of awards and they just loved it when customers asked about their awards.

I have an interesting new take on the "I love me" wall. I want to login to ADLS and print out my completion certificates from all the various CBTs I have completed. I then want to frame them all and completely cover my wall. When people stop by and comment on them I plan to brag about how I completed Information Assurance in under 10 minutes AND scored a perfect score on the quiz at the end. The only problem might be finding a wall big enough for all of my CBTs. I hate to brag too much but I have completed quite a few in my day.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Do it!!!!!!!!

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
04-05-2013, 06:02 PM
I so wish you would.

The coins are the ones that really kill me, considering how often those get tossed out like candy at a parade.

Luvnlife
04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
My shadow box that I got when I retired was sitting in my closet for the longest time until we moved and there was a spot that needed to be filled. Voila!

The only thing that really means anything to me that I got while I was in is the Cold War certificate that they authorized for us. Then again, that's sitting on a shelf in my garage. :ohwell

Measure Man
04-05-2013, 06:13 PM
So i have been bouncing this idea off a few people and I am considering doint it. We all know someone who has a massive "I love me" wall in their office. This is the place where they keep all of their awards and coins from their career. This is especially common in customer service positions. I have had several supervisors who had a massive amount of awards and they just loved it when customers asked about their awards.

I have an interesting new take on the "I love me" wall. I want to login to ADLS and print out my completion certificates from all the various CBTs I have completed. I then want to frame them all and completely cover my wall. When people stop by and comment on them I plan to brag about how I completed Information Assurance in under 10 minutes AND scored a perfect score on the quiz at the end. The only problem might be finding a wall big enough for all of my CBTs. I hate to brag too much but I have completed quite a few in my day.

My favorite of all time was once when I was at the Dental Clinic...the tech had his 'Certificate of Completion--Anger Management' hanging on the wall.

ConfusedAirman
04-05-2013, 06:21 PM
How about hanging photoshoppped pictures of you receiving diplomas and awards from important people?

sandsjames
04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Awesome idea. The best part about the coins is the people who display the ones they bought.

Pullinteeth
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
My favorite of all time was once when I was at the Dental Clinic...the tech had his 'Certificate of Completion--Anger Management' hanging on the wall.

Were you in my chair? Oh wait...was it for SUCCESSFUL completion? If so, it wasn't me.:censored

technomage1
04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
One of our guys deployed short notice and I took over his job and desk. Seriously, he has 5 diplomas (3 CCAFs and 2 Associates) on the cube wall, and filled up the cabinets with hardware that was apparently all over this shelf above the desk before. Ands he's a TSgt. It's no even like he's been in 30 years. He had stuff from when he was an Amn in there.

I'm not mad about the fact I don't even have space for a coffee cup...much..but I just can't believe how much stuff he has.

Robert F. Dorr
04-05-2013, 11:31 PM
My certificates, plaques, awards and crap from a civilian career and from a writing career all go straight into the trash, along with coins. (Sorry, to those who gave them but there is only so much room). If I had done anything important in the military I might frame that and hang it on the wall, but maybe not. If I had a shadowbox devoted solely to my military experience, it would contain three items -- chevrons, enlisted aircrew wings, and a Good Conduct Medal. That doesn't sound very impressive even if you add stuff for which I became eligible long after being discharged, such as the Korea campaign thing.

At one time I had two file cabinet drawers full of performance ratings from a government civilian career -- those covering my performance and the couple of hundred I wrote on the performance of others. (My experience with performance ratings goes back to 1964; it was about 1970 when they banned all references to outside activity that was not work-related and all references to spouses). It occurred to me fairly soon after leaving the job that this was of no value to anyone so I chucked it all out.

On the wall in my home office are nicely framed large color, air-to-air photos that I took of, and from various aircraft including B-52 Stratofortress, F-4 Phantom II and F-15E Strike Eagle. I have a few model airplanes that were given to me. Oh, and a photo of a B-17 Flying Fortress crew from "MISSION TO BERLIN" with a legend that appears on a sign at the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial: "TIME WILL NOT DIM THE GLORY OF THEIR DEEDS."

I do love me, though.

Robert F. Dorr
04-05-2013, 11:50 PM
My shadow box that I got when I retired was sitting in my closet for the longest time until we moved and there was a spot that needed to be filled. Voila!

The only thing that really means anything to me that I got while I was in is the Cold War certificate that they authorized for us. Then again, that's sitting on a shelf in my garage. :ohwell

I'd forgotten about the Cold War Certificate, a gift from the guy who sought to defeat Hillary Clinton for the Senate in New York. I'm eligible for that. But what would I do with it? How would having it change my life? Why did the Army's personnel system (which handled it for all five service branches) get strapped with the administrative costs of handkling the requests from a tiny percentage of those eligible? Who sees it in your garage?

OtisRNeedleman
04-06-2013, 12:42 AM
I have one framed, matted set of pictures of various moments in my career hanging up in my house. My favorite pictures of that matted set are the ones of the last promotion pin-on, where our division chief, a Navy captain, pins on one oak leaf and my then ten-year-old daughter pins on the other oak leaf, then there is a picture with me, my kids, and the Navy captain. I was a single father of two at that time.

Everything else (medals, citations, coins) is on shelves or in boxes, gathering dust.

I love me, but I love my children more than I love me.

CJSmith
04-06-2013, 01:33 PM
We have a rather young Chief and he is pretty proud of that fact. Curious one day we counted how many Chief stripes are displayed in his office. It was around 27 or so. He had a chief mug, chief coins, chief coin rack, chief clock, chief nameplate, chief line number stripe, chief wood carving, and on and on. We call his office the chief gift shop.

Deploy Me Please
04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
After 20 years, I now have an office I can hang shit in. I opened my boxes of stuff and had to air it out. Everything was musty and smelled like mold. After several months of bare walls, I hung everything up...including my CDC score of the month plaque from back in '93. When I retire, I will pick a couple of things to put in a shadow box, take photos of the rest, then burn most of it. My favorite stuff is a few deployment & range photos & photos of good friends along the way. I had an uncle who was a WWII tank commander. He had an office with a couple of cool mementos hung on the wall. He cherished that stuff and it was cool to talk with him about it. Because of that, I will probably keep a couple of things as conversation pieces, but not much.

FLAPS
04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
For my first several years commissioned I thought getting trinkets was pretty cool, but after about 6-8 years of it I ran out of space to put the shit. Now I just have too much crap in boxes to move, when in the end I think all I really want to display is my shadow box. The plaques and other stupid "sq cgo of qtr" junk can be burned in the fireplace. Anyone know what temps are required to melt glass?

70gto
04-06-2013, 05:49 PM
We found a couple of old quarterly awards from 2005 in one of our desks. Me and the SNCOs promptly displayed them proudly with our names written on a sticky notes covering the old names!!! People walk into our cubicles and immediately crack up.. WE also created fake name plates with some off the wall duty titles i.e. Assistant Director to the Deputy Chief Undersecretary of Lunch Affairs Division. Good times....

Mr. Happy
04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
For my first several years commissioned I thought getting trinkets was pretty cool, but after about 6-8 years of it I ran out of space to put the shit. Now I just have too much crap in boxes to move, when in the end I think all I really want to display is my shadow box. The plaques and other stupid "sq cgo of qtr" junk can be burned in the fireplace. Anyone know what temps are required to melt glass?

I think in light of current budget realities, units across the Air Force need to change the mentality of purchasing momentoes for quarterly awards. I have a few myself, and they really don't mean as much as time goes by. Some of them are quite nice too, so they weren't cheap. Most people would be happy with simply being recognized on stage with a nice certificate and a 1 or 3 day pass; plus they still get a nice "bullet" for the EPR or annual award package. The savings across the Air Force would be significant if all units started eliminating the practice of buying hardware for quarterly awards.

Mr. Happy
04-07-2013, 03:48 PM

I have tons of stuff accumulated from over the years, but I only display select items in my office. Just so it's not bland. Also have family pictures, a Magic 8-Ball, NASCAR & airplane diecasts and other aircraft paintings. Not too much "I love me" stuff though.

Once I retire, it will all go into the attic. Some stuff is too nice to toss out, but don't really want to hang a glass paned plaque from my Korea tour in 1993 either. Maybe if Pawn Stars is around the year 2099, some of my stuff like the military coins will be worth something to somebody.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I have tons of stuff accumulated from over the years, but I only display select items in my office. Just so it's not bland. Also have family pictures, a Magic 8-Ball, NASCAR & airplane diecasts and other aircraft paintings. Not too much "I love me" stuff though.

Once I retire, it will all go into the attic. Some stuff is too nice to toss out, but don't really want to hang a glass paned plaque from my Korea tour in 1993 either. Maybe if Pawn Stars is around the year 2099, some of my stuff like the military coins will be worth something to somebody.

I’m pretty sure a few dozen magic 8 balls were purged a few months ago during that campaign to rid the workplace of offensive and questionable material.

You’d better get that thing out of your office before it offends someone. I think the reason those things are questionable is because they get their magic from an obtuse demonic spirit that lives inside them.

If that thing gets a crack in it the spirit could escape and start prompting an officer in your unit to sexually harass people.

El Kabong
04-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I’m pretty sure a few dozen magic 8 balls were purged a few months ago during that campaign to rid the workplace of offensive and questionable material.

You’d better get that thing out of your office before it offends someone. I think the reason those things are questionable is because they get their magic from an obtuse demonic spirit that lives inside them.

If that thing gets a crack in it the spirit could escape and start prompting an officer in your unit to sexually harass people.

my magic 8 ball told me to grope a co-worker? i think the judge would throw his gavel at you if you tried that as a defense.

MACHINE666
04-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I have a "happy shirt" that I used before going to bed at night. Doesn't take too long either...2 minutes or less! Does that count any??

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Robert F. Dorr
04-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Just attended Richard's 90th birthday party. Flew P-38 Lightnings in World War II, H-5s in the Korean War and H-43s just before Vietnam. Numerous other achievements. Has an entire museum in the basement of his house devoted to his life. It's in excellent taste and is kept pristine. The displays are mostly about planes and about stuff, not about him. This is more than just a wall but he earned it.

RobotChicken
04-08-2013, 01:11 AM
:hat Now that is a 'REAL WAR WARRIOR WALL'! Bet his 'Salad Bar' doesn't look like 'today's Strawberry short cake' for doing 'bake sales'! :usa2

Robert F. Dorr
04-08-2013, 01:24 AM
:hat Now that is a 'REAL WAR WARRIOR WALL'! Bet his 'Salad Bar' doesn't look like 'today's Strawberry short cake' for doing 'bake sales'! :usa2

Exactly right about the salad bar.

RobotChicken
04-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Exactly right about the salad bar.
Ought to see CDR O'Briens warrior wall! :hail (and flies one on weekends)

Rusty Jones
04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Yesterday afternoon as I was driving home from my second job, there was a car in front of me with tags that caught my attention.

Many states have flags for certain military decorations, and in this case, this guy had a Purple Heart tag and his plate number was "BLED4U"

What really bothered me about his vanity tag, is that this guy seems to be suggesting that everyone owes him something, and should have to kiss his ass. Pfft...

FLAPS
04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Yesterday afternoon as I was driving home from my second job, there was a car in front of me with tags that caught my attention.

Many states have flags for certain military decorations, and in this case, this guy had a Purple Heart tag and his plate number was "BLED4U"

What really bothered me about his vanity tag, is that this guy seems to be suggesting that everyone owes him something, and should have to kiss his ass. Pfft...

And maybe he got the PH because he did something stupid?

VFFTSGT
04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
I think in light of current budget realities, units across the Air Force need to change the mentality of purchasing momentoes for quarterly awards. I have a few myself, and they really don't mean as much as time goes by. Some of them are quite nice too, so they weren't cheap. Most people would be happy with simply being recognized on stage with a nice certificate and a 1 or 3 day pass; plus they still get a nice "bullet" for the EPR or annual award package. The savings across the Air Force would be significant if all units started eliminating the practice of buying hardware for quarterly awards.

My unit has been denying people cold weather gear becuase there is no money, but we just spent $1,000 on awards/plaques.

SomeRandomGuy
04-09-2013, 07:58 PM
My unit has been denying people cold weather gear becuase there is no money, but we just spent $1,000 on awards/plaques.

I know you have posted this info before but are you at a cold location and also have a job that requires duties to be performed outside? While the scenario above is ridiculous so is the old practice of issuing cold weather gear to anyone and everyone. The Air Force issues everyone a field jacket in basic training and most of the gear required for most locations. For every other location and for bases requiring cold weather gear I have a solution. These items should be issue items which should be turned back in after use. Look at the amount of chem gear that every base has on hand. If we would have treated cold weather gear the same way in the past can you imagine how much would be on hand? We need to stop the practice of giving away free uniform items. When ABUs came out I actually bought my first set from a cop who was deploying. He had already deployed and was issued four sets. He was about to deploy again and they were issuing him 4 new sets. He asked me what size I wanted and once he recieved them he sold them to me. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it. Most units have no idea what gear they gave to who and never get any of the cold weather items back.

VFFTSGT
04-09-2013, 09:29 PM
I know you have posted this info before but are you at a cold location and also have a job that requires duties to be performed outside? While the scenario above is ridiculous so is the old practice of issuing cold weather gear to anyone and everyone. The Air Force issues everyone a field jacket in basic training and most of the gear required for most locations. For every other location and for bases requiring cold weather gear I have a solution. These items should be issue items which should be turned back in after use. Look at the amount of chem gear that every base has on hand. If we would have treated cold weather gear the same way in the past can you imagine how much would be on hand? We need to stop the practice of giving away free uniform items. When ABUs came out I actually bought my first set from a cop who was deploying. He had already deployed and was issued four sets. He was about to deploy again and they were issuing him 4 new sets. He asked me what size I wanted and once he recieved them he sold them to me. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it. Most units have no idea what gear they gave to who and never get any of the cold weather items back.

It wouldn't be a problem if we weren't...

Robert F. Dorr
04-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Let's see whether I can post a link to my "I love me wall." It's the place everybody here wants me to go to:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&qe=Um9iZXJ0IEYuIA&qesig=hZRb1GXKq9dbsHOqw4RRYg&pkc=AFgZ2tn1A2pRRGEJJPOVdI6VEZ_mZ32ZdxJY3dKDyzvFee EK86sDxUV4t1bRmGVTZit2-7ne8JEsrVpcNITuxh_LX3avB3pfsQ&cp=10&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=Robert+F.+Dorr&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Robert+F.+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44442042,d.eWU&fp=e35a4559c61b8ce0&biw=1164&bih=1058

Somehow, I have a feeling this is not going to show up on this thread.

Robert F. Dorr
04-10-2013, 02:03 AM

That would be my reaction precisely, including the kiss-my-ass part. It also explains why I don't like being thanked for my service and don't thank others for theirs.

Robert F. Dorr
04-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Let's see whether I can post a link to my "I love me wall." It's the place everybody here wants me to go to:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&qe=Um9iZXJ0IEYuIA&qesig=hZRb1GXKq9dbsHOqw4RRYg&pkc=AFgZ2tn1A2pRRGEJJPOVdI6VEZ_mZ32ZdxJY3dKDyzvFee EK86sDxUV4t1bRmGVTZit2-7ne8JEsrVpcNITuxh_LX3avB3pfsQ&cp=10&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=Robert+F.+Dorr&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Robert+F.+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44442042,d.eWU&fp=e35a4559c61b8ce0&biw=1164&bih=1058

WillsPowers
04-10-2013, 02:58 AM
What you need is a plaque that say's "We Hate Each Other But We Hate YOU Even More!"

sandsjames
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Amazing. You've got all those hits for your name on Google yet you still can't figure out how to search for acronyms.

WeaponsTSGT
04-10-2013, 06:15 PM

I think one from ADAPT would trump this.

Pullinteeth
04-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I think one from ADAPT would trump this.

Successful completion? I escaped ADAPT but didn't successfully complete it...drank the whole time. It was annoying to hear them yammer 2x a week through my alcohol fueled haze...then had to go back and clean some more teeth....

Pullinteeth
04-10-2013, 08:46 PM

That was pretty funny....

Robert F. Dorr
04-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Amazing. You've got all those hits for your name on Google yet you still can't figure out how to search for acronyms.

Searching for an acronym will not tell me the writer's intent.

sandsjames
04-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Searching for an acronym will not tell me the writer's intent.

As a writer I'm sure you know about targeting your audience with the content. Since most of the posts are in the AIR FORCE thread I think it's pretty fair to say that the posts should target Air Force members. Since the acronyms used almost always relate to the Air Force it is, in my mind, perfectly okay to assume the members reading the posts will understand the meaning.

What you are suggesting is something that is plaguing our education system as a whole (something I know you feel very strongly about). We are dumbing things down. Shooting for the lowest common denominator. I really hope that isn't what you feel we should be doing.