PDA

View Full Version : Military drivers

JD2780
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Why does it seem that many military folks seem to think its ok to drive like complete assholes? More often than not when I see a clown driving like a maniac I see some AF or army schwag plastered all over their car? Please for sanity's sake please taken your flare off of your car before you decide to drive like its a 3 ticket ride at the county fair.

Your common access card isn't a free pass to drive like an idiot.

BENDER56
04-05-2013, 01:22 PM
The contributing factor to asshole-like driving is more likely to be youth, a characteristic highly represented in the military. So it might not be military drivers per se.

Sergeant eNYgma
04-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Very true and unfortunately that just goes with the territory around here...I've seen all sorts of crazy since being here. It'll never change. We ain't seen nothing yet, wait til summer if you havent experienced it...

BENDER56
04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
The contributing factor to asshole-like driving is more likely to be youth, a characteristic highly represented in the military. So it might not be military drivers per se.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 01:54 PM
In retrospect its probably more noticeable because of the flare plastered all over the vehicles. Same thing with clowns on bikes. Don't do wheelies when wearing your reflective vests. When driving your POV with that much flare act like your driving a gov since you're basically a rolling billboard. I remember the panhandle well during the summer. Morons are everywhere. Not as bad as Vegas but still complete idiots.

The majority are probably youth, but I see plenty of oak leaves and some heavy sleeves driving like they own the road. Once they cross that threshold at the gate, they're just an asshole with bad uniform. They need unscrew themselves.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Changing lanes with out signaling and almost taking people out. Riding people's bumpers when they're already going 10-15 over with no place to get out of the way. These people aren't doing just on clear sunny days with light traffic. Heavy commuter traffic, majority of the time its at night not bad weather usually. Not only drive within your ability but you need to consider the inability of the other drivers. The newly licensed teens old folks, possible drunks.

SomeRandomGuy
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Why does it seem that many military folks seem to think its ok to drive like complete assholes? More often than not when I see a clown driving like a maniac I see some AF or army schwag plastered all over their car? Please for sanity's sake please taken your flare off of your car before you decide to drive like its a 3 ticket ride at the county fair.

What exactly do you mean by asshole drivers? I often drive a little bit aggressive. What I am doing though is not dangerous and I have never been in an accident where I was at fault. I once got a speeding ticket driving 106 in a 70 zone. It was saturday morning around 10 am. The weather was clear and the pavement was dry. It was on a divided highway and there were honestly no cars in sight. When I tell people about that ticket I get a lot of looks from people who would call me an asshole driver. The thing is though that I am driving within my ability. I am much more scared of people who drive 5-10 mph under the speed limit. They actually cause more accidents than people speeding. I wish there was some sort of special license for people who prove they are capable of driving at speeds higher than the limit.

When I moved to Ohio I transferred my license and ended up having to take both the written and driving tests. Instead of parallel parking Ohio has a different sort of test. They have cones set up in sort of an hour glass shape. You start from one side drive through the center to the opposite diagonal. Stop your car as if you were parking in a parking spot and then reverse back through the course to where you started. Most of the people taking this test borrowed the smallest car they could find from a friend. I used my 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with a 7 foot bed. People looked at me like I was crazy but I actually did better than any of the people in small vehicles. I am a big believer that if you cannot properly park a vehicle you should not be driving it.

Banned
04-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Also the illusion of being a "bad ass".

JD2780
04-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Changing lanes with out signaling and almost taking people out. Riding people's bumpers when they're already going 10-15 over with no place to get out of the way. These people aren't doing just on clear sunny days with light traffic. Heavy commuter traffic, majority of the time its at night not bad weather usually. Not only drive within your ability but you need to consider the inability of the other drivers. The newly licensed teens old folks, possible drunks.

JB you're in Cali. Everybody I Cali drives like maniacs so I'll take as you just fitting in. I still love going to SoCal I just know what I'm getting into when I go.

SomeRandomGuy
04-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Ok I understand the type you are talking about. The only one I disagree with is changing lanes without signaling. Anytime I change lanes I always make sure I leave adequate space. Unless I absolutely have to I do not cut people off. So let me ask a question. Why does it matter if I signal my lane change? If I am driving in heavy traffic (4 lines on each side of a divided highway) I will signal my lane changes but if we are talking about a simple two lanes I do not really feel the need to use my blinker. I think every person should drive defensively and worry about their own vehicle. As long as I do not cut right in front of you it should honestly make no difference to you whether or not I use my blinker to change lanes.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Ok I understand the type you are talking about. The only one I disagree with is changing lanes without signaling. Anytime I change lanes I always make sure I leave adequate space. Unless I absolutely have to I do not cut people off. So let me ask a question. Why does it matter if I signal my lane change? If I am driving in heavy traffic (4 lines on each side of a divided highway) I will signal my lane changes but if we are talking about a simple two lanes I do not really feel the need to use my blinker. I think every person should drive defensively and worry about their own vehicle. As long as I do not cut right in front of you it should honestly make no difference to you whether or not I use my blinker to change lanes.

The only time I don't use my signal is when I'm the only person on the rd. You should always use your signal because somebody might be trying to come into the same lane you're coming into. You can't live in a bubble and worry about your own car. You need to worry about your surrounding.

SomeRandomGuy
04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
The only time I don't use my signal is when I'm the only person on the rd. You should always use your signal because somebody might be trying to come into the same lane you're coming into. You can't live in a bubble and worry about your own car. You need to worry about your surrounding.

Part of driving defensively is maintaining proper spacing around your vehicle. That includes making sure you always have an out in case you need to avoid someone or something. Unless you are in heavy traffic there is no good reason to worry about what other vehicles are doing. All that is necessary is maintaing a proper speed and spacing. If everyone drove this way there would never be a reason to worry about anyone else. Even when I am driving in heavy traffic it makes no difference to me if someone else changes lanes and whether or not they signal. The only kind of asshole drivers I ever worry about are those people that tailgate or cut in front of me without leaving proper distance. When I encounter those drivers I either speed up or slow down to get away from them. Problem solved and I simply continue to worry about my own vehicle.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Part of driving defensively is maintaining proper spacing around your vehicle. That includes making sure you always have an out in case you need to avoid someone or something. Unless you are in heavy traffic there is no good reason to worry about what other vehicles are doing. All that is necessary is maintaing a proper speed and spacing. If everyone drove this way there would never be a reason to worry about anyone else. Even when I am driving in heavy traffic it makes no difference to me if someone else changes lanes and whether or not they signal. The only kind of asshole drivers I ever worry about are those people that tailgate or cut in front of me without leaving proper distance. When I encounter those drivers I either speed up or slow down to get away from them. Problem solved and I simply continue to worry about my own vehicle.

I hope it continue to work out for you.

js7799
04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
JD, when I was stationed at Nellis I thought the drivers there were the worst I've ever encountered (in CONUS that is). Now that I'm at Robins, I have had to change my thinking. Georgia drivers are TERRIBLE.

USMC0341
04-05-2013, 04:04 PM

people driving around you should not have to "guess" what you are thinking when it comes to switching lanes, which is why you should use a turn signal. Turn signals are not there for your convenience, they are there to alert others; Maybe a guy in the other lane is just about to step on it and low and behold here comes somerandomguy swerving over. I despise people who are too freaking lazy to push a damn lever up or down 2 inches.

Pullinteeth
04-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Please for sanity's sake please taken your flare off of your car before you decide to drive like its a 3 ticket ride at the county fair.

In retrospect its probably more noticeable because of the flare plastered all over the vehicles. Same thing with clowns on bikes. Don't do wheelies when wearing your reflective vests. When driving your POV with that much flare act like your driving a gov since you're basically a rolling billboard.

I get it that it is probably the TACP in you but it is hillarious that you use the word flare when you mean flair....

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
04-05-2013, 04:08 PM

Pretty much agree with everything you've said in the entire thread. It all tends to bug me way more on base than off base, but it's all highly annoying either way.

SomeRandomGuy
04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
people driving around you should not have to "guess" what you are thinking when it comes to switching lanes, which is why you should use a turn signal. Turn signals are not there for your convenience, they are there to alert others; Maybe a guy in the other lane is just about to step on it and low and behold here comes somerandomguy swerving over. I despise people who are too freaking lazy to push a damn lever up or down 2 inches.

In my experience I have found that using my blinker actually has the opposite effect of what I intend. There have been plenty of times in traffic where I flipped my blinker on to make a lane change and then some asshole speeds up to block me from making the lane change. If I had simply made the change without signaling I could have already made the lane change and then sped up to allow ample spacing. If I was driving a semi truck or pulling a trailer I would use my blinker. When I am just driving my little car I see no reason to use my blinker as I already know where every vehicle is around me and as far as I am concerned it makes no difference to other drivers what I do. The reason I say this is because I am normally in the fast lane. If there are more than 3 lanes I always look across the other lanes to make sure no one else is getting ready to change into the lane I am about to take. It is not really that hard to tell when someone is about to make a lane change. If a car is driving slightly faster than the car in front of them it is likely they will make a lane change to pass that person. They do not need to signal this to me because I already know they will either slow down or change lanes.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
JD, when I was stationed at Nellis I thought the drivers there were the worst I've ever encountered (in CONUS that is). Now that I'm at Robins, I have had to change my thinking. Georgia drivers are TERRIBLE.

Well they have an excuse. They can't read.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I get it that it is probably the TACP in you but it is hillarious that you use the word flare when you mean flair....

Indoctrinated happens. Make that a t-shirt. Yes exactly and I did it numerous times.

71Fish
04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
In my experience I have found that using my blinker actually has the opposite effect of what I intend. There have been plenty of times in traffic where I flipped my blinker on to make a lane change and then some asshole speeds up to block me from making the lane change. If I had simply made the change without signaling I could have already made the lane change and then sped up to allow ample spacing. If I was driving a semi truck or pulling a trailer I would use my blinker. When I am just driving my little car I see no reason to use my blinker as I already know where every vehicle is around me and as far as I am concerned it makes no difference to other drivers what I do. The reason I say this is because I am normally in the fast lane. If there are more than 3 lanes I always look across the other lanes to make sure no one else is getting ready to change into the lane I am about to take. It is not really that hard to tell when someone is about to make a lane change. If a car is driving slightly faster than the car in front of them it is likely they will make a lane change to pass that person. They do not need to signal this to me because I already know they will either slow down or change lanes.

Sounds like Utah. The UTards here are famous for closing the gap.

crwchf16
04-05-2013, 05:36 PM

This must be a southeast US thing. The drivers in South Carolina are all just as bad if not worse. First it seems like a large percentage of them have their cell phones sugically attached to their heads while driving. Second, IMO the slow movers become a far greater road hazard than the fast ones because they create a moving obstacle, usually in the passing lane.

sandsjames
04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
People who don't use blinkers are just lazy. Lazy drivers cause accidents. I always use mine more out of habit then anything. If I always use it, I never forget.

Also, with newer vehicles having "black boxes", I tend to want to have proof that any accident was not my fault. I have yet to be in an accident, and drive like an old lady, but I've found that on my trip to work the difference between driving 50MPH and 60MPH is about one and a half minutes. I drive the speed limit and have no issues.

SRG, I have a question. If the speed limit was 120MPH, would you feel the need to do 130? Is there ever a point where you would drive the limit or do you like to exceed just for the sake of it?

Banned
04-05-2013, 05:53 PM

Call me sexist - but it seems like female drivers are the worst offenders for "closing the gap". I always see these obnoxious little blondes driving around their jarhead boyfriend's giant truck, and cutting people off on the road like its cool.

LogDog
04-05-2013, 05:56 PM

In the San Diego area you can tell who is connected with the military by their base decals and/or Navy/Marine decals on their back windows. Worst offenders, IMO, are motorcyclists who weave in and out of traffic or are splitting lanes (legal in California at low speeds) while going 50 mph. You know they're military because they're in uniform while they're doing this. Civilians who work on the bases are probably the next worst drivers because all they're concerned about is getting to or from work. They don't know what turn signals are for, what the speed limits are, or how far behind the car in front of them they should be.

BENDER56
04-05-2013, 06:02 PM
This must be a southeast US thing. The drivers in South Carolina are all just as bad if not worse. First it seems like a large percentage of them have their cell phones sugically attached to their heads while driving. Second, IMO the slow movers become a far greater road hazard than the fast ones because they create a moving obstacle, usually in the passing lane.

How can anyone with even a modicum of life experience not understand what's really happening with this phenomenon; the reason why people from (fill in your state name here) are all lousy drivers is because lousy drivers are pretty much equally represented in all of the 50 states. Lousy, inconsiderate, aggressive, unsafe drivers are everywhere. No, they're not worse in (fill in your state name here). They're everywhere. I've lived in enough places to know. OK, some regions might have their own special variant of the lousy driver -- Massachusetts drivers can be challengingly aggressive and Florida drivers might be more clueless and lost, but overall I think it's a wash. Except for Doha, Qatar -- now there's some crazy-shit driving.

SomeRandomGuy
04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
SRG, I have a question. If the speed limit was 120MPH, would you feel the need to do 130? Is there ever a point where you would drive the limit or do you like to exceed just for the sake of it?

Honestly, I drive whatever speed feels safe. If it were not for speed limits you would probably see me driving about 80 on most interstates that have visibility for over a mile. I think I saw a study one time that said most speed limits are set with the idea that roughly 85% of drivers will follow it. I agree with the idea of having a "standard" that roughly 85% of the people are following. That allows for some predictability when driving. I just think that certain speed limits (65 on the interstate in Ohio) are ridiculous. I would like for speed limits to be set at 75 on all interstates. The difference between 65 and 75 is not much in a daily commute but an extra 10 miles per hour adds up on a long trip. The only problem with that is cops would lose one of their main revenue generators.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 06:18 PM
How can anyone with even a modicum of life experience not understand what's really happening with this phenomenon; the reason why people from (fill in your state name here) are all lousy drivers is because lousy drivers are pretty much equally represented in all of the 50 states. Lousy, inconsiderate, aggressive, unsafe drivers are everywhere. No, they're not worse in (fill in your state name here). They're everywhere. I've lived in enough places to know. OK, some regions might have their own special variant of the lousy driver -- Massachusetts drivers can be challengingly aggressive and Florida drivers might be more clueless and lost, but overall I think it's a wash. Except for Doha, Qatar -- now there's some crazy-shit driving.

Massholes. I'm from there. I know how aggressive they are. Massholes. In Doha they're racing to get their virgins.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Massholes. I'm from there. I know how aggressive they are. Massholes. In Doha they're racing to get their virgins.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 06:35 PM
So if it's an Asian female military member you've got the trifecta.

An old Asian female married to a retiree. Rolling catastrophe.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 06:35 PM

An old Asian female married to a retiree. Rolling catastrophe.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 06:41 PM
In the San Diego area you can tell who is connected with the military by their base decals and/or Navy/Marine decals on their back windows. Worst offenders, IMO, are motorcyclists who weave in and out of traffic or are splitting lanes (legal in California at low speeds) while going 50 mph. You know they're military because they're in uniform while they're doing this. Civilians who work on the bases are probably the next worst drivers because all they're concerned about is getting to or from work. They don't know what turn signals are for, what the speed limits are, or how far behind the car in front of them they should be.

I never rode my Harley in uniform. I couldn't lane split on my bike, not that I would. People don't see big ass cars never mind a bike.

Pullinteeth
04-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Call me sexist - but it seems like female drivers are the worst offenders for "closing the gap". I always see these obnoxious little blondes driving around their jarhead boyfriend's giant truck, and cutting people off on the road like its cool.

That does bring up an interesting point...just because someone has "flair" on their vehicle doesn't mean they are actually in or have ever been in the military....stickers aren't all that expensive and are often free and just because you are a military member doesn't mean you have a sticker OR that you are the only person that drives your vehicle...

JD2780
04-05-2013, 06:45 PM
That does bring up an interesting point...just because someone has "flair" on their vehicle doesn't mean they are actually in or have ever been in the military....stickers aren't all that expensive and are often free and just because you are a military member doesn't mean you have a sticker OR that you are the only person that drives your vehicle...

Very true.

sandsjames
04-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Pullinteeth
04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Texting while adjusting her makeup in the rearview mirror while smoking...drunk

JD2780
04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
You forgot one of my biggest peeves.. Pushing your way into traffic from off ramps/turns by literally putting your car so close to mine i have no choice but to let you in or break something.
But i find more people in civy street doing all the above than i do mil folk..

SRG.. Its imo people feeling like you "why the he(( should i use them; screw you all; i do not feel the need to" that i feel more cops SHOULD pull people for making illegal lane shifts (which is what it is when you change lanes without using your blinkers).
And might i remind you it was part of your written test, where it mentions you are required to use them before shifting... NOT while, Not after.. but before!

J

If more people followed the damn laws, people would not need worry about having to drive defensive.

Of 2 Motorcycle related accidents i have witnessed, one was caused by one moterist getting sick and tid of cyclists zooming by him (8 cars ahead of me, and 1 lane to my left) in 5mph rush hour coming out of san diego back in 95. He already had his wing mirror cliped like 8 times and just before the 9th guy came alone side, he kicked his passenger door open in front of him.. the biker was going just a tad under 50 i guess, as he flew overhead a good 10ft.

So you feel only 85% of people should be required to follow the law?

True.. Stickers alone to me mean shi) in whether someone is or is not mil.. Do they have base decals though is another matter.

Base decals are no longer required on AF installations. On the reverse side of the merging thing. People not moving to the other lane to allow folks to merge, obviously only when there is room to move to the other lane. It's merging not blocking, the folks coming in to the road way need to get up to speed to merge correctly. They can't do that when somebody is blocking them, and they need to come to a stop and screws up traffic behind them. Who cares though, the traffic is screwed up behind them and they're only worried about themselves.

LogDog
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Of 2 Motorcycle related accidents i have witnessed, one was caused by one moterist getting sick and tid of cyclists zooming by him (8 cars ahead of me, and 1 lane to my left) in 5mph rush hour coming out of san diego back in 95. He already had his wing mirror cliped like 8 times and just before the 9th guy came alone side, he kicked his passenger door open in front of him.. the biker was going just a tad under 50 i guess, as he flew overhead a good 10ft.
I'm not saying that all motorcyclists are at fault; just the ones who do this. I agree that many motorists don't see or care about motorcyclists and some go out of their way to mess with them. Like motorists, motorcyclists need to remember they share the road with cars and trucks and they need to obey the rules of the road. Last Monday I saw a motorcyclist (in a Navy uniform) speed past cars on I-5 South in the emergency lane because traffic had slowed approaching Highway 54.

Personally, I don't care for motorcycles (they should be renamed Organ Donor Machines) and they scare the hell out of me on the road. If I have a motorcyclist in front of me I give them plenty of space between them and me because I fear they'll drop their bike and I won't be able to react quick enough to avoid hitting them.

LogDog
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm not saying that all motorcyclists are at fault; just the ones who do this. I agree that many motorists don't see or care about motorcyclists and some go out of their way to mess with them. Like motorists, motorcyclists need to remember they share the road with cars and trucks and they need to obey the rules of the road. Last Monday I saw a motorcyclist (in a Navy uniform) speed past cars on I-5 South in the emergency lane because traffic had slowed approaching Highway 54.

Personally, I don't care for motorcycles (they should be renamed Organ Donor Machines) and they scare the hell out of me on the road. If I have a motorcyclist in front of me I give them plenty of space between them and me because I fear they'll drop their bike and I won't be able to react quick enough to avoid hitting them.

garhkal
04-05-2013, 07:22 PM

You forgot one of my biggest peeves.. Pushing your way into traffic from off ramps/turns by literally putting your car so close to mine i have no choice but to let you in or break something.

SRG.. Its imo people feeling like you "why the he(( should i use them; screw you all; i do not feel the need to" that i feel more cops SHOULD pull people for making illegal lane shifts (which is what it is when you change lanes without using your blinkers).
And might i remind you it was part of your written test, where it mentions you are required to use them before shifting... NOT while, Not after.. but before!

Part of driving defensively is maintaining proper spacing around your vehicle.

If more people followed the damn laws, people would not need worry about having to drive defensive.

Worst offenders, IMO, are motorcyclists who weave in and out of traffic or are splitting lanes (legal in California at low speeds) while going 50 mph.

Honestly, I drive whatever speed feels safe. If it were not for speed limits you would probably see me driving about 80 on most interstates that have visibility for over a mile. I think I saw a study one time that said most speed limits are set with the idea that roughly 85% of drivers will follow it. I agree with the idea of having a "standard" that roughly 85% of the people are following. That allows for some predictability when driving. I just think that certain speed limits (65 on the interstate in Ohio) are ridiculous. I would like for speed limits to be set at 75 on all interstates. The difference between 65 and 75 is not much in a daily commute but an extra 10 miles per hour adds up on a long trip. The only problem with that is cops would lose one of their main revenue generators.

True.. Stickers alone to me mean shi) in whether someone is or is not mil.. Do they have base decals though is another matter.

JD2780
04-05-2013, 07:31 PM

J

Base decals are no longer required on AF installations. On the reverse side of the merging thing. People not moving to the other lane to allow folks to merge, obviously only when there is room to move to the other lane. It's merging not blocking, the folks coming in to the road way need to get up to speed to merge correctly. They can't do that when somebody is blocking them, and they need to come to a stop and screws up traffic behind them. Who cares though, the traffic is screwed up behind them and they're only worried about themselves.

Pullinteeth
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
I saw the following pasted in huge letters on the back of a truck the other day;

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS HONORABLY DISCHARGED
NEVER RETIRED
SEMPER FI

Seriously?

JD2780
04-25-2013, 05:38 PM
I saw the following pasted in huge letters on the back of a truck the other day;

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS HONORABLY DISCHARGED
NEVER RETIRED
SEMPER FI

Seriously?

Not surprised. Every service component has its silly retiree stickers.

Pullinteeth
04-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Not surprised. Every service component has its silly retiree stickers.

This was custom made in giant block letters the top line spanned the entire top of the rear window...

BTW, retirees aren't discharged, they are transfered to the Retired Reserve (or in the case of the Navy [to include the USMC] the Fleet Reserve and then the Retired Reserve).

garhkal
04-25-2013, 09:03 PM
What gets me is all the people calling them selves vets after only 2-4 years of service and getting out..

71Fish
04-25-2013, 09:14 PM
What gets me is all the people calling them selves vets after only 2-4 years of service and getting out..

How many years do you think should be required?

Measure Man
04-25-2013, 09:20 PM

They are vets.

20+Years
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I can't believe people do only 20 years and call themselves retirees...

JD2780
04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
This was custom made in giant block letters the top line spanned the entire top of the rear window...

BTW, retirees aren't discharged, they are transfered to the Retired Reserve (or in the case of the Navy [to include the USMC] the Fleet Reserve and then the Retired Reserve).

Whatever, nice way to try and hang on to something you're not anymore. The custom ones are for folks that truly let the service define who they are and are lost with out it.

sandsjames
04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm gonna make my own bumper sticker. It's going to say

"Retired AF. What are you doing to become a here?"

js7799
04-26-2013, 07:26 PM
To the point of shitty drivers. It would be nice if they implemented a system here in the states like they have in England. No license before 18 and extensive driver's training with a certified instructor to get your license. It's an expensive and long process, but overall it seems to work. British drivers tend to use their "indicator" and move back to the slow lane after passing. Not saying that England doesn't have its fair share of bad drivers, but I find myself a lot more frustrated here in Georgia than I ever did there.

garhkal
04-26-2013, 08:32 PM
How many years do you think should be required?

More than 1 stint in.. So someone who joined up for 3 years should have to reinlist at least once imo..

To the point of shitty drivers. It would be nice if they implemented a system here in the states like they have in England. No license before 18 and extensive driver's training with a certified instructor to get your license. It's an expensive and long process, but overall it seems to work. British drivers tend to use their "indicator" and move back to the slow lane after passing. Not saying that England doesn't have its fair share of bad drivers, but I find myself a lot more frustrated here in Georgia than I ever did there.

I would also like to see it go back to where you 'retest' every other time you renewed your license.. Not just a written one either... but a practical as well.

Measure Man
04-26-2013, 08:48 PM

I seem to remember something about the drivers of the Black Cabs in London had some unbelievable intensive training and testing...no only on driving but on every route and street in London, traffic changes, etc. I wanna say it was like over a year long preparation to drive the black cabs.

Ah, here it is...I stand corrected, an average of 34 months to pass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knowledge#The_Knowledge

JD2780
04-26-2013, 09:59 PM
More than 1 stint in.. So someone who joined up for 3 years should have to reinlist at least once imo..

I would also like to see it go back to where you 'retest' every other time you renewed your license.. Not just a written one either... but a practical as well.

So an Airman enlists for 6 yrs, spends almost 4 yrs of it in afghaniland, and shouldnt have veteran status? How many Army or Marine veterans did one stint in Nam, or WWII? I guess they arent veterans. Sorry, your idea is stupid.

Yes, license renewal should be a recertification.

sandsjames
04-26-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm gonna make my own bumper sticker. It's going to say

"Retired AF. What are you doing to become a here?"

Would have made more sense if I'd typed "hero" as I meant to.

garhkal
04-27-2013, 03:26 AM
So an Airman enlists for 6 yrs, spends almost 4 yrs of it in afghaniland, and shouldnt have veteran status? How many Army or Marine veterans did one stint in Nam, or WWII? I guess they arent veterans. Sorry, your idea is stupid.

Yes, license renewal should be a recertification.

On the time in, its more of a time requirement to me.. i know some who did barely a year and got BOOTED OUT, who still claim 'veteran status'.

JD2780
04-27-2013, 10:44 AM
On the time in, its more of a time requirement to me.. i know some who did barely a year and got BOOTED OUT, who still claim 'veteran status'.

You said they need to reenlist.

imported_AFKILO7
04-27-2013, 06:22 PM
When I worked the road I routinely issued tickets for improper lane change (no turn signal), driving while on a cellphone/reading a book/applying makeup etc. Then when the driver gets all pissy I laugh maniacally to myself in my car.

garhkal
04-27-2013, 07:22 PM
You said they need to reenlist.

That's WHY i feel they should re-up (or serve more than 3 years)..

JD2780
04-27-2013, 11:27 PM

I don't. I had airman lose a finger and part of his leg while in afghaniland. He was an A1C, not 3 yrs in. Got out. Guess he isn't a veteran.

BOSS302
04-28-2013, 02:39 AM

As luck would have it, the Air Force and the VA does not operate based upon your feelings. If they served, then they are veterans. End of discussion.

JD2780
05-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Once again, a moron in a big red F150 with an AF license plate was driving like a jack ass down 98. Most likely a retiree or veteran though as he looked to be mid to late 40s and had a goatee. Either way, I really wish folks would stop driving like crazy people. Your flair isn't a ticket to do what you want. The way I see it, which doesn't mean anything, having that flair on your vehicle you should hold yourself to a higher standard and drive safer.

The military is becoming an entitlement mindset. Expecting to be given breaks, discounts and not having to pay excess baggage. Drive safer, and stop expecting stuff. It's embarrassing.

SomeRandomGuy
05-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Once again, a moron in a big red F150 with an AF license plate was driving like a jack ass down 98. Most likely a retiree or veteran though as he looked to be mid to late 40s and had a goatee. Either way, I really wish folks would stop driving like crazy people. Your flair isn't a ticket to do what you want. The way I see it, which doesn't mean anything, having that flair on your vehicle you should hold yourself to a higher standard and drive safer.

The military is becoming an entitlement mindset. Expecting to be given breaks, discounts and not having to pay excess baggage. Drive safer, and stop expecting stuff. It's embarrassing.

We have a civilian in my office who is a retired Colonel. He not only drives like a madman but even brags about it. The other day he was talking about how he came through the gate in his sports car and someone in a Dodge Ram was following him trying to flag him down. He sped up and was going close to 60MPH between the gate and our building. The speed limit is 25 on that road and it runs right by the Child Development Center. When he pulled into the parking lot a Chief jumped out of the Dodge to confront him. He was bragging about how when the Chief tried to confront him he pulled out the "I'm a retired Colonel and now a GS 12" (I guess he took a demotion to "Civilian Airman Captain"). It was incredibly stupid for him to drive like that but honestly it was also really stupid for the Chief to chase him down at 60 mph.

RFScott
05-29-2013, 02:09 PM

You at Hurby JD? I was down there from 09-12, but I lived in Shalimar and avoided 98 like the plague. I hated driving in that area, never have I seen so much buffoonery on the roads in my life. A good chunk of the bad drivers, in my experience anyway, did have service related stuff on their cars....if it wasn't them it was the meth addicted rednecks going to and from Crestview on 85 who were driving like maniacs....

JD2780
05-29-2013, 02:18 PM
You at Hurby JD? I was down there from 09-12, but I lived in Shalimar and avoided 98 like the plague. I hated driving in that area, never have I seen so much buffoonery on the roads in my life. A good chunk of the bad drivers, in my experience anyway, did have service related stuff on their cars....if it wasn't them it was the meth addicted rednecks going to and from Crestview on 85 who were driving like maniacs....

I'm at Ft Livingroom in valp. I have to go to gulf breeze 3 times a week, two of which are during rush hour. Yea 85 is a speed way, and 98 is more a like a demo derby.

SRD I had a commander follow a SSgt all the way to his unit once jumped his shit, then walked him to his CCs office and delivered the turd there. This was at Nellis. For some reason it feels the military has more than its fair share of assholes.

71Fish
05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Once when stationed at Ellsworth we had to report in on a saturday for uniform inspections (don't ask). When we got to work, the 1st Sgt held one guy over because he was doing 85 in a 65. How did the 1st Sgt know this, because he paced him at 85. He gave him an LOR. I wish it was me.

garhkal
05-29-2013, 07:50 PM
We have a civilian in my office who is a retired Colonel. He not only drives like a madman but even brags about it. The other day he was talking about how he came through the gate in his sports car and someone in a Dodge Ram was following him trying to flag him down. He sped up and was going close to 60MPH between the gate and our building. The speed limit is 25 on that road and it runs right by the Child Development Center. When he pulled into the parking lot a Chief jumped out of the Dodge to confront him. He was bragging about how when the Chief tried to confront him he pulled out the "I'm a retired Colonel and now a GS 12" (I guess he took a demotion to "Civilian Airman Captain"). It was incredibly stupid for him to drive like that but honestly it was also really stupid for the Chief to chase him down at 60 mph.

That chief should have taken his plates down and given them to base security. Put in a suggestion letter to get speed camera's installed.

LogDog
05-29-2013, 09:31 PM
As long as they serve and received an honorable discharge then they are a veteran.

LogDog
05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
I was at Williams AFB during it's closure. While coming to work S. Power Road doing the speed limit, I think it was 55 mph, an AF vehicle passes me like I'm standing still. I took down his license plate when I got on base I reported it to the SPs. The SPs checked out the license plate and told me about an hour later that the vehicle belonged to a reserve unit at Luke AFB and they notify their commander. I heard nothing about this until about a year later, after Willams was closed and I was now in Germany, when a Maj called me and asked me about the incident. He said a friend of his asked him to call me to rescind my report because it was going to cause the SSgt to be kicked. I asked him is this getting him kicked out or is it just another incident that's getting him kicked out? The Maj thought for a moment and saw my point that my report wasn't the cause of his getting kicked out and agreed that I needn't rescind my report.

USMC0341
05-29-2013, 10:59 PM
I had a retired general who worked as a civilian at the five sides building, chase me down and follow me into a rest stop in Virginia. To be fair I was driving way too fast on 95, but he was quite cool about it (not that he could do anything regardless). Go showed me his retired ID and gave me his business card, which in hindsight was a bit weird. I guess that his way of showing he wasn't just a crazy old guy.

BOSS302
05-29-2013, 11:31 PM
which in hindsight was a bit weird.

At least in my view, what's weird are people playing "police" off-base. If one is not a law enforcement officer, they do not need to be waiving anyone down, following anyone, or anything else similar to that. I know some who would see that as a provocation or threat if someone followed them and confronted them at a rest stop or in a parking lot.

If one is that concerned with another's driving, they should call their license plate in to the police and let them deal with it. Just my opinion...

Break...

I was once an asshole driver and this was back in high school. I was a 17 year-old kid with a souped-up truck and a shitty attitude on the road. That all changed when I ran a stop sign one afternoon doing 60 miles per hour and t-boned a Trans Am. My truck did a 360* into a telephone comm box and the Trans Am was caved in to the center console. If there had been a passenger in that Trans Am, they would have died. Luckily, that driver only sustained a cut to his head when he hit it on the steering wheel.

As for me, I had not been wearing a seat belt. Apparently physics was taking a rest that day as I was launched UPWARDS instead of forward and cracked my head on the roof of my truck, giving me a nice bump and a gash but nothing else. Both vehicles were write-offs and the police on the scene commented that everyone was lucky to be walking away. My parents were later sued by the parents of the driver of the Trans Am (since I was a minor, they couldn't go after me) since they felt the insurance companies had not reached a favorable settlement. My parents also forbade me from driving or owning another vehicle, thus I did not get to drive until I joined the Air Force after high school.

That experience at a young age definitely settled my ass down. Even now with a 500+ horsepower V8 beast at my disposal, I save my Steve McQueen for the quarter mile tracks. On the roads, driving like an ass clown can get you and others killed.

JD2780
05-29-2013, 11:41 PM
At least in my view, what's weird are people playing "police" off-base. If one is not a law enforcement officer, they do not need to be waiving anyone down, following anyone, or anything else similar to that. I know some who would see that as a provocation or threat if someone followed them and confronted them at a rest stop or in a parking lot.

If one is that concerned with another's driving, they should call their license plate in to the police and let them deal with it. Just my opinion...

I'm guilty of trying to follow somebody. I've also called a few people in. One time I flipped off a guy in a truck, he started yelling at me then realized I was pulling on base and started telling me I should be careful who i flip off since I'm an ID card holder. I told him he should be careful who cuts off and should invest his officer money in some driving lessons, he then cut across two lanes of traffic to stay next to me in line to get our IDs checked. His line kept advancing while mine was sitting still, and he got hassled by the gate guards for holding up the line, I much like many immature males had to get the last word, and as he was pulling away, i told him "have a nice day buddy, and be careful on those rds" He got heated but drove away.

It could've turned out bad for me, but i find it funny now and silly then.

JD2780
05-29-2013, 11:50 PM
I had a retired general who worked as a civilian at the five sides building, chase me down and follow me into a rest stop in Virginia. To be fair I was driving way too fast on 95, but he was quite cool about it (not that he could do anything regardless). Go showed me his retired ID and gave me his business card, which in hindsight was a bit weird. I guess that his way of showing he wasn't just a crazy old guy.

That could get you shot by some folks.

SomeRandomGuy
05-30-2013, 12:03 AM
At least in my view, what's weird are people playing "police" off-base. If one is not a law enforcement officer, they do not need to be waiving anyone down, following anyone, or anything else similar to that. If one is that concerned with another's driving, they should call their license plate in to the police and let them deal with it. Just my opinion.

I wonder how many people realize they could also be in trouble by even trying this. Say for example I am racing down the interstate in my Boss mustang when another military member spots me. He speeds up to try and catch me as we both weave in and out of traffic. A few miles down the road we are both doing about 95 in a 70 and it appears we are drag racing as we fly by a cop. Now we are both in some huge shit and I seriously doubt the cop is going to buy the excuse that "I was only going 95 so I could catch him and tell him to slow down"

Absinthe Anecdote
05-30-2013, 12:16 AM
That could get you shot by some folks.

There is generally nothing positive to gain from road raging and flipping people off, much less following them to confront them out of their vehicles.

Pure insanity if you ask me.

That said, I was unfortunate enough to cut off an off duty cop and then flipped him off after yelled at me.

He walked up to my car at the next light and since I was sitting in a convertible he could have reached in and broken my neck. The guy was massively large and cut loose on a roid rage rant that scared the fuck out of me. When the light turned green he told me to beat it and walked back to his car.

Never again will I flip anyone off or even acknowledge them if they are yelling at me.

JD2780
05-30-2013, 12:17 AM
I wonder how many people realize they could also be in trouble by even trying this. Say for example I am racing down the interstate in my Boss mustang when another military member spots me. He speeds up to try and catch me as we both weave in and out of traffic. A few miles down the road we are both doing about 95 in a 70 and it appears we are drag racing as we fly by a cop. Now we are both in some huge shit and I seriously doubt the cop is going to buy the excuse that "I was only going 95 so I could catch him and tell him to slow down"

I've never pushed it more than 80 in a 60. Even then I get nervous.