PDA

View Full Version : Business Class

BOSS302
04-03-2013, 05:56 AM
I'm currently taking an upper-level "Business Communications" course and it is quite enlightening. What is most curious is that from what we are being taught from both the instructor and the course text, the Air Force has got it almost completely wrong in regards to communication and messages.

Jargon. Buzzwords. Cliche's. How often in both the common course of the duty day and in messages from top AF leadership do people encounter these?

Plain language and simplicity are extremely emphasized in this course; that is something I personally believe would fit in well with the military style of communication.

Just my thoughts...

RobotChicken
04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
:welcome It took awhile but fire/rescue/police started to 'talk in the clear' and did away with that 10-4 crap,maybe if the military didn't have all these 2k words that meant 'jeep'.....'vehicle'.."What? it's a :censored 6 by"!!!! (some A$$CLOWN must of made 0-6 come'in up with HMMWV) :doh:smash

giggawatt
04-03-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm currently taking an upper-level "Business Communications" course and it is quite enlightening. What is most curious is that from what we are being taught from both the instructor and the course text, the Air Force has got it almost completely wrong in regards to communication and messages.

Jargon. Buzzwords. Cliche's. How often in both the common course of the duty day and in messages from top AF leadership do people encounter these?

Plain language and simplicity are extremely emphasized in this course; that is something I personally believe would fit in well with the military style of communication. Just my thoughts...

In my military education experience, that is exactly what is taught. Many just don't follow those guidelines. I suppose it depends on your line of work and your position on the food chain.

imported_Renazance
04-03-2013, 07:07 AM
No one in the AF wants to use plain language because they want to sound smart and impress their audience (especially their boss) with fancy words. Officers are notorious for this.

BOSS302
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
In my military education experience, that is exactly what is taught. Many just don't follow those guidelines. I suppose it depends on your line of work and your position on the food chain.

Yes, it is taught. I just do not see it practiced too often. I believe the biggest offender was the "5MT" email from many moons ago. Lately, I've seen a lot of "BLUF" emails in which the "bottom line" that is "up front" makes no sense. Maybe "BLUF" is the new "synergy".

Robert F. Dorr
04-03-2013, 08:38 AM
The essay "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell, which is accessible on line, should be required reading.

TREYSLEDGE
04-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Yes, it is taught. I just do not see it practiced too often. I believe the biggest offender was the "5MT" email from many moons ago. Lately, I've seen a lot of "BLUF" emails in which the "bottom line" that is "up front" makes no sense. Maybe "BLUF" is the new "synergy".

Military jargon is in our culture and although it changes with the times, I think it will conitue long into the future. I also think the Blackberry has had a negative effect on simple, straight forward writing. I've had bosses in the past that said if they had to scroll on their blackberry then the message is too long. That may be why the BLUF has grown in popularity.

Robert F. Dorr
04-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Plain language and simplicity are extremely emphasized in this course; that is something I personally believe would fit in well with the military style of communication.

Just my thoughts...

The problem is not unique to the Air Force or to these Forums. It is a problem in all institutions. It's worse today because education and literacy have declined so sharply and inside-baseball jargon is always a handy crutch. I doubt very many people will follow policy of trying never to use jargon or abbreviations.

BOSS302
04-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Military jargon is in our culture and although it changes with the times, I think it will conitue long into the future. I also think the Blackberry has had a negative effect on simple, straight forward writing. I've had bosses in the past that said if they had to scroll on their blackberry then the message is too long. That may be why the BLUF has grown in popularity.

Yes, the point was made that jargon, when accepted and known by the audience, is a useful communication tool. The military, with its uniqueness, is jargon-friendly (to a point).

I'm just very enlightened by this course because it has not only unveiled weaknesses in my own communication methods but has also shown just how stuck in the times the U.S. Air Force is. The communication methods/models have changed but it seems Air Force methods/models are still lingering in the late 90s/early 2000 dot.com heyday.

BOSS302
04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
The essay "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell, which is accessible on line, should be required reading.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/books-and-arts/politics-and-the-english-language#

FLAPS
04-03-2013, 10:21 AM

I HATE BLUF, especially when people use it two or more sentences into their message. If it's not the very first "F"ing sentence I read, then it's not BLUF. Same goes with people who state "bottom line," but it's not actually the bottom line of the message. If they just put "Almost bottom line," then I'd be ok with it.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
:welcome It took awhile but fire/rescue/police started to 'talk in the clear' and did away with that 10-4 crap,maybe if the military didn't have all these 2k words that meant 'jeep'.....'vehicle'.."What? it's a :censored 6 by"!!!! (some A$$CLOWN must of made 0-6 come'in up with HMMWV) :doh:smash

Since TACPs are simpletons we always used plain language. It's better for high stress moments like dropping bombs while the enemy is attempting to shoot you. Keep it simple.

Pullinteeth
04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I HATE BLUF, especially when people use it two or more sentences into their message. If it's not the very first "F"ing sentence I read, then it's not BLUF. Same goes with people who state "bottom line," but it's not actually the bottom line of the message. If they just put "Almost bottom line," then I'd be ok with it.

You are of course aware that "bottom line" has more meanings that just the literal one correct? It also means the deciding or crucial factor so it does NOT have to be at the bottom...

BLUF...I couldn't possibly agree with you any more on that one. It is retarded to start with and when used incorrectly, is EXTREMELY annoying. I have seen it in the middle of an email, the last line of an email, more than one scattered throughout an email....bleeech.... Maybe if you didn't ramble for three pages and just kept it brief, you wouldn't NEED a BLUF...

BRUWIN
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Just my thoughts...

Good post. This issue was a 5MT for me when I was in. I would vector my troops into proper and simple use of the english language.

SomeRandomGuy
04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I have to say I was highly disappointed when I opened this thread and learned it was about some stupid college class. I thought this was going to be a discussion about flying in business class versus economy.

sandsjames
04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
I have to say I was highly disappointed when I opened this thread and learned it was about some stupid college class. I thought this was going to be a discussion about flying in business class versus economy.

Me too. Thought there'd be some tips on how to get free upgrades or something.

Rainmaker
04-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Just my thoughts...

What some pin head Academic Bidness skool Teacher knows anyway? They don't know about Military Bidness! Killing is the Military's bidness Ladies and bidness is good!!... BLUF...Those who can't do teach!

BOSS302
04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Due to budget cuts, E1-E9 and O1-O5 must be packed into kennels and flown in the cargo hold for all PCS and TDY travel flights.

GS-11s get first-class seating, priority boarding/de-boarding, and a round of spontaneous applause from strangers as they enter the terminal from their arrival gate.

sandsjames
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Me too. Thought there'd be some tips on how to get free upgrades or something.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Due to budget cuts, E1-E9 and O1-O5 must be packed into kennels and flown in the cargo hold for all PCS and TDY travel flights.

GS-11s get first-class seating, priority boarding/de-boarding, and a round of spontaneous applause from strangers as they enter the terminal from their arrival gate.

I thought it was more packing them on fishing boats and and sailing across. For land travel its cattle cars or trains.

BENDER56
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Speaking of poor communication, your contraction of the phrase "cliché is" in your original post kept me wondering, "Cliché is what?".

(Since when did this site get spell-check and autocorrect? I may be a pretentious pedant, but even so I would never spell cliché with an accent.)

BENDER56
04-03-2013, 04:25 PM
... also, your thread title caused me to anticipate a thread about airline seating. I hope you pay attention in this class.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Smart phone corrections?

Nope rainmaker is proving a point.

RS6405
04-03-2013, 06:48 PM
What some pin head Academic Bidness skool Teacher knows anyway? They don't know about Military Bidness! Killing is the Military's bidness Ladies and bidness is good!!... BLUF...Those who can't do teach!

Smart phone corrections?

Rainmaker
04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Nope rainmaker is proving a point.

Rainmaker proving point like a 9-line. But, you know Officers ROMAD ...making simple shit hard since 1775!

Rainmaker
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
The problem is not unique to the Air Force or to these Forums. It is a problem in all institutions. It's worse today because education and literacy have declined so sharply and inside-baseball jargon is always a handy crutch. I doubt very many people will follow policy of trying never to use jargon or abbreviations.

Rainmaker go 2 PS 15 Bronx NY.. Got very good libhurll arts edgucation. He got 6.98762 waited GPA on 9.0 scale and not fish scale kid next to him wiff gold teef be slinging NomSayin?? Well-rounded just mean you suck at errything. Thank You Great Society!

LogDog
04-03-2013, 10:08 PM

Just my thoughts...
What I was taught about business communication is to think of your audience as not being very knowledgeable in your business or terminology so keep the sentences and ideas simple. Spell out the acronyms and if you wish put their abbreviations in parenthesis for reference when you use the abbreviation later.

Basic rule in writing is if the person in your organization with the least knowledge of what you're writing about can understand it then it should be okay. If they can't then simplify it until they can.

RobotChicken
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
:cry 'KISS-101' :lock1

Banned
04-03-2013, 10:41 PM

By far one of his best essays... it also made me look at George Bernard Shaw's work in a completely different context (and not a good one).

You see it today - when some people get blown up by a bomb in a warzone... mountains of text are written analyzing the incident... every word written a way to divert attention from the fact that actual living people were just killed.

JD2780
04-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Rainmaker proving point like a 9-line. But, you know Officers ROMAD ...making simple shit hard since 1775!

Like an ALO!!!