PDA

View Full Version : Please Note

BRUWIN
04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
I am a GS-11...I am the equivelant rank of a Capt. Please be courteous in your responses to me. Thank you.

RobotChicken
04-02-2013, 08:25 PM
:scared "Aye.Aye, Cap'n Bligh....SIR!" :welcome

efmbman
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I think what BRUWIN was referring to was protocol. In fact, if memory serves, GS-11 is above O3 but below O4 in the rankings according to the DoDI.

imported_DannyJ
04-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I am a GS-11...I am the equivelant rank of a Capt. Please be courteous in your responses to me. Thank you.

Pfft. Civilians.

In other words, that's your pay grade. Civilians don't have rank.

efmbman
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
I think what BRUWIN was referring to was protocol. In fact, if memory serves, GS-11 is above O3 but below O4 in the rankings according to the DoDI.

DocBones
04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Aye aye, Cap'n Bligh!

FLAPS
04-02-2013, 11:54 PM

I saw that ranking chart one time. It stated this:

GS15 = O-6
GS14 = O-5
GS13 = O-4
GS12 = O-3
GS11 = E-4

BRUWIN
04-03-2013, 12:06 AM
I saw that ranking chart one time. It stated this:

GS15 = O-6
GS14 = O-5
GS13 = O-4
GS12 = O-3
GS11 = E-4

See...now that's disrespectful right there. The fact of the matter is that if I peed on the floor and told a MSgt to lap it up then he would have to lap it up. I offered this scenerio to the Civilian Personnel Office this afternoon and they dug through the regs and they indeed confirmed the MSgt would have to lap it up.

BRUWIN
04-03-2013, 12:21 AM
You didn't go to an HQ, eh? Some of them hand out GS-12s like candy. I'm confident you can do better, but if you chose the route you did in the pursuit of happiness, I respect that.

No HQ...I'm in the trenches plotting tactical warfighting strategies.

BRUWIN
04-03-2013, 12:22 AM
You didn't go to an HQ, eh? Some of them hand out GS-12s like candy. I'm confident you can do better, but if you chose the route you did in the pursuit of happiness, I respect that.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
04-03-2013, 12:42 AM

BRUWIN
04-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Pfft. Civilians.

In other words, that's your pay grade. Civilians don't have rank.

I would so LOC your ass if you were at my home station.

RobotChicken
04-03-2013, 01:07 AM
:fish2 "Here's your Boat..'Skipper'. Civilian airman, sailor (wanna be). :phone

KellyinAvon
04-03-2013, 01:33 AM

I know you're not talking about AFMC, you'd have said GS-13.:biggrin

RobotChicken
04-03-2013, 01:55 AM
:nono "in the trenches plotting war....."Your Suppose to be out there leading YOUR troops, SIR! Leave that 'planning Chicken$hit' to your superior officers! :lock1

BOSS302
04-03-2013, 02:29 AM

At least now as a GS-11, you are free to carry whatever style umbrella you want with whatever GS-11 Uniform of the Day you are wearing.

imported_DannyJ
04-03-2013, 02:46 AM
I would so LOC your ass if you were at my home station.

Pfft. LOC.

imnohero
04-03-2013, 02:49 AM

Like the famous gerbil once said, "Bite Me!" (http://joecartoon.org/joecartoon-gerbiljokes/gerbil-in-a-microwave/)

imnohero
04-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Awww, we're back to moderated links again.

so I'll make it short and sweet, "GS-11..pht...bite me." How's that for respect? :flame

CrustySMSgt
04-03-2013, 06:28 AM
We've got a GS12 here; there was going to be some lodging moves and he wanted to know why we were considering housing him "with the enlisted" because he was a "Major-equivilant." <SMFH>

Jamethon
04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Now wait a second, I got counseled once because a GS-6 was the equivalent of a captain.. I always hear rumors about these conversion charts but I have yet to see one.

Also, there are plenty of Captains that need mentoring because they are kind of like the SrA's of the enlisted. I heard of one not too long ago that was peeing on the hallway floors...

FLAPS
04-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Now wait a second, I got counseled once because a GS-6 was the equivalent of a captain.. I always hear rumors about these conversion charts but I have yet to see one.

I've seen the chart. I forget the specifics, but I do remember GS-0 through GS-11 was equivelent to Enlisted. GS-11s is equiv to E-4 through E-9. 2LTs-Capt were like GS-12s, then on up. Also, I've only met GS-9s, 12s on up, but never a GS-10 or GS-11. I heard they actually phased out GS-11s in the 70s, but Bruwin proved that's not true. He actually might be the only GS-11 in DoD.

efmbman
04-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Also, there are plenty of Captains that need mentoring because they are kind of like the SrA's of the enlisted. I heard of one not too long ago that was peeing on the hallway floors...

cant post links since update, bur google 'dod protocol precedence list'. scroll down to the one with 'tacomaworld' in the url. that will open a pdf file that is the army version. it is all based on dodi, so i doubt it would be different for other services.

of the 250 entries, o4 is 242 with gs12. gs11 is at 243. o3 is at 244.

sorry for the lack of capitalization. posting by phone makes this act weird.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I've seen the chart. I forget the specifics, but I do remember GS-0 through GS-11 was equivelent to Enlisted. GS-11s is equiv to E-4 through E-9. 2LTs-Capt were like GS-12s, then on up. Also, I've only met GS-9s, 12s on up, but never a GS-10 or GS-11. I heard they actually phased out GS-11s in the 70s, but Bruwin proved that's not true. He actually might be the only GS-11 in DoD.

GS anything are still civilians and they should remember that.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I'll never forget I'm Blue-ID Mafia/Civil Service. My days in uniform ended almost 6 years ago. It's someone else's turn to wear the blue, opposed to carrying the blue (ID).

Some GS employees usually ones up around the 13 area seem to think they're still o6s. We had one that would continually talk down to our sq sup in front of us. The guy wasnt impressive as human. He was smart but had to people skills. We always wondered how a retired O-6 weapons school instructor was in charge of such a small scale school. We think he burned quite a few bridges and couldn't get back into his community.

Had another one, the guy in charge of the civilian employees of the OG. He thought he deserved a parking spot although the AFI dictates how many individual spots you're allowed to have, and we already had that many. He would get mad if people parked in his unmarked spot. He didnt have bad people skills and was pretty smart but was just full himself.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
I'll never forget I'm Blue-ID Mafia/Civil Service. My days in uniform ended almost 6 years ago. It's someone else's turn to wear the blue, opposed to carrying the blue (ID).

Some GS employees usually ones up around the 13 area seem to think they're still o6s. We had one that would continually talk down to our sq sup in front of us. The guy wasnt impressive as human. He was smart but had to people skills. We always wondered how a retired O-6 weapons school instructor was in charge of such a small scale school. We think he burned quite a few bridges and couldn't get back into his community.

Had another one, the guy in charge of the civilian employees of the OG. He thought he deserved a parking spot although the AFI dictates how many individual spots you're allowed to have, and we already had that many. He would get mad if people parked in his unmarked spot. He didnt have bad people skills and was pretty smart but was just full himself.

KellyinAvon
04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
GS anything are still civilians and they should remember that.

Pullinteeth
04-03-2013, 01:07 PM

The O-3 Captain or the O-6 Captain?

Oh and it it all in DoDI 1000.1 Enclosure 3.

http://www.aschq.army.mil/supportingdocs/i10001.pdf

GS-10 and 11=O-3... What is odd is that a WG-12 through WG-15 is equal to a W-1 through O-3...

TJMAC77SP
04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Bruwin's stirring of the shit pot aside.................

Somebody please show me any official document that equates any GS PAY GRADE with a military rank.

The only thing which comes close that I have ever found was dealing with Geneva Convention Categories in the event a GS employee is held as a POW.

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread first.

Note the following from the cited document...."6.2. The rank equivalencies do not convey to civilian personnel rank or authority
over military personnel. It is not the intent of this Instruction to require the use of those grade relationships for any other purpose; however, the table was coordinated with similar tables for precedence, housing entitlement and other purposes to seek consistency to the extent possible."

Drackore
04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Every turd I flush is the equivalent of a GS-14....and that's about the extend of which I give a fuck about a GS.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Every turd I flush is the equivalent of a GS-14....and that's about the extend of which I give a fuck about a GS.

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!

SomeRandomGuy
04-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I out rank everybody. I'm a spouse. The hardest job in the AF.....so I'm reminded by every giant SUV in the box parking lot.

Sorry friend the Year of the AF Family is over. That was a one time deal. We are now back to not giving a shit at all about people's family.

BENDER56
04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Oh yeah? Well I'm an R-infinity (That's R for Retired, not R for Retarded -- everyone thinks he's a comedian.) and I outrank all y'all. This is why you have to wait in line behind me at the commissary while I count out exact change, realize I don't have it, and pull out my checkbook. But I don't care -- I've got nothing to do and all day to do it.

BENDER56
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
That's fine, I'll make up the time by cutting you off at the 'uniforms first' pharmacy line.

Oops. Sorry, sonny -- I didn't mean to "accidently" whack you in the Achilles tendon with my cane.

BENDER56
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
That's fine, I'll make up the time by cutting you off at the 'uniforms first' pharmacy line.

Oops. Sorry, sonny -- I didn't mean to "accidently" whack you in the Achilles tendon with my cane.

FLAPS
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Oh yeah? Well I'm an R-infinity (That's R for Retired, not R for Retarded -- everyone thinks he's a comedian.) and I outrank all y'all. This is why you have to wait in line behind me at the commissary while I count out exact change, realize I don't have it, and pull out my checkbook. But I don't care -- I've got nothing to do and all day to do it.

I bet on Sat mornings after payday you like to park your shopping cart sideways in the depends aisle.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

I out rank everybody. I'm a spouse. The hardest job in the AF.....so I'm reminded by every giant SUV in the box parking lot.

Quixotic
04-03-2013, 03:52 PM

ConfusedAirman
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Years ago I was once a WG-10/SSgt Air Guard technician aircraft mechanic. Went TDY as a civilian and my orders showed both ranks because AF regulations stated that even as technicians we were lodged according to our military rank. I whited out the SSgt, made a copy, and showed that copy plus my civilian ID card when checking in to lodging. WG-10 equated to some officer rank so I was put in officer quarters where for two weeks I would be going to and from my room wearing my uniform with SSgt stripes.

JD2780
04-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Sorry friend the Year of the AF Family is over. That was a one time deal. We are now back to not giving a shit at all about people's family.

No no no, I'm a spouse I out rank all of you!!!

BRUWIN
04-03-2013, 10:00 PM

You wish...in the real world enlisted are scared of me.

Banned
04-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Whoever told you that was a liar. GS-5 and GS-6 are secretaries and phone-answerers in general.

RobotChicken
04-03-2013, 10:48 PM
:spy'During the Space Race'...NASA 'Engineers' (GS-11 type that I new in later years) spent $millions on development on a 'pen' that could write in space;(though didn't tell me of $2 million refills) that the 'Russians' had solved that 'little problem' years ago before their program even started'. Hint..grade school 101...the pencil....:welcome

RobotChicken
04-04-2013, 04:01 AM
test 987654321

BRUWIN
04-04-2013, 01:01 PM
test 987654321

Hey...no tests in my thread. That's like coming along and scribbling on a final EPR draft I just wrote to see if your pen works.

Pullinteeth
04-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Whoever told you that was a liar. GS-5 and GS-6 are secretaries and phone-answerers in general.

With a grade equivelent between E-6 and E-9....

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/100001p.pdf

Ace Airspeed
04-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Understood.

When I was still in uniform, I encountered some GS types that were really serious about the rank equivalency. They were universally shunned, hated, and reviled by the folks in uniform.

Ace Airspeed
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm retired AF and a GS-12 working for a Navy 0-6. This "equivalent rank" thing amuses me. My "rank" days are far behind me and I'll let the folks in uniform play that game.

We don't have any GS types in my office that push the rank equivalency. If we did, they would be hounded mercilessly. We're civilians - plain and simple.

Pullinteeth
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm retired AF and a GS-12 working for a Navy 0-6. This "equivalent rank" thing amuses me. My "rank" days are far behind me and I'll let the folks in uniform play that game.

We don't have any GS types in my office that push the rank equivalency. If we did, they would be hounded mercilessly. We're civilians - plain and simple.

It isn't REAL rank equivalency....if you look at the chart, it is for Geneva Conventions categorization and POW status....and teachers are on there too...

Ace Airspeed
04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Understood.

When I was still in uniform, I encountered some GS types that were really serious about the equivalent rank thing and ran around treating the GIs like garbage. They were hated, reviled, and avoided at all costs.

I respect the military folks I work with now and treat them well. We're all part of the same team and have our jobs to do.

BRUWIN
04-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Understood.

When I was still in uniform, I encountered some GS types that were really serious about the rank equivalency. They were universally shunned, hated, and reviled by the folks in uniform.

I jack up anybody that questions my civilian rank.

SomeRandomGuy
04-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Very strange. GS-5 is an entry level pay grade.

The GS system is a bit strange. As you said GS-5/6 is supposed to be an entry level position. Where things get interesting (if you are trying to compare to military rank) is GS-7 and above. If you go to USAJOBS.gov you will see that most GS-7 positions require a bachelor's degree or 1 year experience at GS-6 (or some combination). For entry into a GS-11 position you need either experience or a master's degree. So when comparing people entering the system how can you set rank equivalents? (you can't) The only ranks in the military that require a degree for entry are officer ranks. Technically, Bruwin could be selling himself a little short by only equating his rank to captain. For most GS11 positions you need a Masters degree or quite a bit of experience. In the military a Masters degree and experience would be a Major. Maybe a GS11 should actually be a Major.

EDIT: This new system upgrade is pretty sweet. I finally have a chance to use my psychic powers. According to the time stamp I wrote this entire post at 1:06. I also quoted Joe Bonham on something he had not even posted yet (1:08). Pretty cool right?

Banned
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM
With a grade equivelent between E-6 and E-9....

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/100001p.pdf

Very strange. GS-5 is an entry level pay grade.

Rusty Jones
04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm a GS-9 and I get GS-11 in September. I'm Department of the Navy, but I don't work with or around military personnel - I'm in civilian HR.

If I was to be totally honest, I look at having an "equivalent rank" like this: while I was active duty, the greater benefit to getting promoted was not that I outranked more people, but that less people outranked me. I didn't revel in the fact that I get to boss more people around, but that less people got to boss me around.

So while I'd never use my equivalent rank as a civilian to gain privileges at someone else's expense or to make other people do things; you'd best believe that if you come at me with BS and your military paygrade is lower than my military equivalents, then I don't have to listen to you. And I won't.

That's the extent to which I would use my paygrade.

AMMO461
04-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Hey Bruwin. I'm a GLG20 so kiss my arse. And get a damn haircut if you want to be treated like el capitan.. lol...

That's the fact Jack........

Banned
04-04-2013, 09:30 PM
I look at having an "equivalent rank" like this: while I was active duty, the greater benefit to getting promoted was not that I outranked more people, but that less people outranked me. I didn't revel in the fact that I get to boss more people around, but that less people got to boss me around.

This is my philosophy exactly.

Nickymaz
04-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Where I work (WPAFB) we have a ton of civilians. In my unit for a civilian to be a flight chief (O-3 equivalent) they need to be 13's. We have civilian Squadron Directors who are 14's and there are 15's in some other leadership jobs. The base-level for civilian worker-bees is GS-11-13. Anyone below an 11 is either a new hire or a secretary.

RobotChicken
04-04-2013, 11:59 PM
The GS system is a bit strange. As you said GS-5/6 is supposed to be an entry level position. Where things get interesting (if you are trying to compare to military rank) is GS-7 and above. If you go to USAJOBS.gov you will see that most GS-7 positions require a bachelor's degree or 1 year experience at GS-6 (or some combination). For entry into a GS-11 position you need either experience or a master's degree. So when comparing people entering the system how can you set rank equivalents? (you can't) The only ranks in the military that require a degree for entry are officer ranks. Technically, Bruwin could be selling himself a little short by only equating his rank to captain. For most GS11 positions you need a Masters degree or quite a bit of experience. In the military a Masters degree and experience would be a Major. Maybe a GS11 should actually be a Major.

EDIT: This new system upgrade is pretty sweet. I finally have a chance to use my psychic powers. According to the time stamp I wrote this entire post at 1:06. I also quoted Joe Bonham on something he had not even posted yet (1:08). Pretty cool right?
:hat Okay then that settles it!! An 'GS-11 should be called an Civilian-Airman-Major-Warrior, retired of course!' Out :censored standing! :boom

BRUWIN
04-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Hey Bruwin. I'm a GLG20 so kiss my arse. And get a damn haircut if you want to be treated like el capitan.. lol...

That's the fact Jack........

I ain't getting no haircut. In fact...I've been shopping around for a new volumizer. Any recommendations?

RobotChicken
04-05-2013, 02:33 AM
:hat CVS pharmacy...$16.99, 10% off for 'civilian-airman-major-retired-warriors' so I heard!

VFFTSGT
04-05-2013, 04:26 AM

How does a retired Chief only qualify for a GS-11 job? Isn't that a demotion? :tongue1

sandsjames
04-05-2013, 03:01 PM
How does a retired Chief only qualify for a GS-11 job? Isn't that a demotion? :tongue1

Know a retired Chief where I am who took a GS9 slot. He said he was done with doing any job that required any real responsibility. Don't blame him.

BRUWIN
04-05-2013, 03:07 PM

GS-11s have a lot of power.

imported_DannyJ
04-05-2013, 03:37 PM
GS-11s have a lot of power.

Pfft. Inflated egos...

Luvnlife
04-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm a contractor, I'm the bottom of the ladder and I dont have to go to mandatory commander calls that GS/military have to go to or even meetings. I only assist a GS and its funny that I'm getting paid more than the GS. I have no additional duties and maybe once a month I'll see my supervisor when I pass him in the hall. It's really rough being a contractor.

AMMO461
04-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I ain't getting no haircut. In fact...I've been shopping around for a new volumizer. Any recommendations?

Well at your age your probably thinking Vidal Sassoon. Because if you don't look good, we don't look good. LMFAO.....

BRUWIN
04-07-2013, 01:21 AM
Well at your age your probably thinking Vidal Sassoon. Because if you don't look good, we don't look good. LMFAO.....

Thanks...it's now on my shopping list.

imported_DannyJ
04-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks...it's now on my shopping list.

Cameron Diaz recommends all natural hair gel.