PDA

View Full Version : No Purple Hearts for Fort Hood Victims, Pentagon Says

MACHINE666
04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
http://gma.yahoo.com/no-purple-hearts-fort-hood-victims-pentagon-says-152503982--abc-news-topstories.html

Fucking bullshit.

Banned
04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Why is it "bullshit"? While tragic, this didn't happen in combat theater. If we awarded the victims here, then that would set a precedent.

Should I get a bronze star for applying CPR to a car accident victim? Should I get a combat action badge for getting shot at in a driveby outside my house? Should I get a purple heart for getting hit by a semi in an intersection?

This in no way demeans the victims... its just a matter of fact that this wasn't in a combat zone... this was workplace violence in the states.

MACHINE666
04-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Why is it "bullshit"? While tragic, this didn't happen in combat theater. If we awarded the victims here, then that would set a precedent.

Should I get a bronze star for applying CPR to a car accident victim? Should I get a combat action badge for getting shot at in a driveby outside my house? Should I get a purple heart for getting hit by a semi in an intersection?

Joe, for once cut the liberal shit. You know just as well as anyone else that this is plain WRONG. Use some common sense for once man.

RobotChicken
04-01-2013, 07:14 PM
:spy "affect the outcome of a fair trial"....I'll give him a 'FAIR TRAIL'.....:target

Banned
04-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Joe, for once cut the liberal shit. You know just as well as anyone else that this is plain WRONG. Use some common sense for once man.

Why is this "plain wrong"? Over a hundred Marines die in non-combat related incidents every year. Should they all get purple hearts?

This isn't about liberals or conservatives - yes that probably sounds really weird coming from me... but the DOD categorized this as workplace violence... hence why there's no purple hearts. Now maybe if it could be proven that the shooter was under the control of a foreign terrorist organization, it might maybe be a different story. But to my knowledge the current consensus is he acted alone.

MACHINE666
04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Why is this "plain wrong"? Over a hundred Marines die in non-combat related incidents every year. Should they all get purple hearts?

This isn't about liberals or conservatives - yes that probably sounds really weird coming from me... but the DOD categorized this as workplace violence... hence why there's no purple hearts. Now maybe if it could be proven that the shooter was under the control of a foreign terrorist organization, it might maybe be a different story. But to my knowledge the current consensus is he acted alone.

Dude, if you seriously believe this, then you're beyond help at this point. The GWOT has no definitive borders, or have you forgotten that?

*Shaking My Damn Head*

MACHINE666
04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Despite extensive evidence that Hasan was in communication with al Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki prior to the attack, the military has denied the victims a Purple Heart and has treated the incident as "workplace violence" instead of "combat related" or terrorism.

So this direct quote from the article does nothing for you, Joe?

RobotChicken
04-01-2013, 07:25 PM

This in no way demeans the victims... its just a matter of fact that this wasn't in a combat zone... this was workplace violence in the states.

:spy I presume 9/11 was a result of work place violence on a 'postal' scale? How about the 'war on drugs'? Where is that 'combat zone'? :clock

Banned
04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Dude, if you seriously believe this, then you're beyond help at this point. The GWOT has no definitive borders, or have you forgotten that?

*Shaking My Damn Head*

The point is - as long as this is classified as workplace violence - and not a terrorist attack - the victims will remain ineligible for the purple heart. If we gave them purple hearts - then that would open the door to give a purple heart to every service member who got hurt or killed by violence while in garrison.

:spy I presume 9/11 was a result of work place violence on a 'postal' scale? How about the 'war on drugs'? Where is that 'combat zone'? :clock

According to the article - the 9/11 Pentagon attack victims are eligible for a Purple Heart. Which makes sense, because 9/11 was a coordinated attack against us by a foreign organization... like Pearl Harbor.

Pullinteeth
04-01-2013, 07:29 PM

Damn you JOE!! I have to agree with you yet again... A lone nutjob does not an opposing armed force make...

The Purple Heart is awarded for wounds or death as result of an act of any opposing armed force, as a result of an international terrorist attack or as a result of military operations while serving as part of a peacekeeping force.

MACHINE666
04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
The point is - as long as this is classified as workplace violence - and not a terrorist attack - the victims will remain ineligible for the purple heart. If we gave them purple hearts - then that would open the door to give a purple heart to every service member who got hurt or killed by violence while in garrison.

The fucking Pentagon will always find ways to rob the average soldier, sailor or airman of any awards earned for bravery, combat, or injury in the line of duty. There is a big difference between stubbing your toe during your annual PT test, and catching a bullet for Uncle Scam. It's been confirmed that Major Hasan was in league with Al Qaida!!! What more evidence do you need?!?!?!?

I just hope that some day this shit never happens to you, and then some smarmy douche with the same mentality you have gives you the same speech. I seriously hope you have a change of heart and bitch-slap him with your robotic wheelchair.

RobotChicken
04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
:spy Allah's War has no boundaries....Embassies,garrison's,computer,or military installations!! So all these 'suicide attacks' are not 'coordinated attacks' unless it is a 'Bonzai charge'? :noidea

Pullinteeth
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
:spy Allah's War has no boundaries....Embassies,garrison's,computer,or military installations!! So all these 'suicide attacks' are not 'coordinated attacks' unless it is a 'Bonzai charge'? :noidea

Last time I checked, the dude that went postal is still alive....

Quixotic
04-01-2013, 10:57 PM
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Joe B on this one. Just because he had a chat or two with Awlaki doesn't make him an Al-Qaeda terrorist operative.

"Hasan now awaits a military trial on charges of premeditated murder and attempted murder." Dare I say it, guess whose not being held as a POW? Guantanamo anybody?

The other thing I don't like is this: "The Fort Hood Families Benefits Protection Act would award both military and civilian casualties of the Fort Hood attack combatant status." How is that justified? Seriously, is there a precedence of awarding civilians combat status? Of awarding civilians Purple Hearts? I'm genuinely curious on that account.

Now for sarcasm: if Hassan is a terrorist, why isn't Staff Sergeant Robert Bales charged as a terrorist?

tiredretiredE7
04-02-2013, 12:20 AM
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Joe B on this one. Just because he had a chat or two with Awlaki doesn't make him an Al-Qaeda terrorist operative.

"Hasan now awaits a military trial on charges of premeditated murder and attempted murder." Dare I say it, guess whose not being held as a POW? Guantanamo anybody?

The other thing I don't like is this: "The Fort Hood Families Benefits Protection Act would award both military and civilian casualties of the Fort Hood attack combatant status." How is that justified? Seriously, is there a precedence of awarding civilians combat status? Of awarding civilians Purple Hearts? I'm genuinely curious on that account.

Now for sarcasm: if Hassan is a terrorist, why isn't Staff Sergeant Robert Bales charged as a terrorist?

So I am guessing you and Joe believe there is some ritual or rite of passage to become a terrorist? Anyone who yells "Allah Akbar" and starts shooting anyone is a terrorist. Any communications with a terrorist group is just additional evidence. So you and Joe agree with this administration that the attack was just work place violence?

SSgt Bales was not charged as a terrorist because he did not have communications with any terrorist groups and there isn't any indication he yelled "Allah Akbar".

raider8169
04-02-2013, 12:38 AM
I have to agree with Joe. If they changed the wording on the purple heart than maybe I could see it. Until than they should not get it. If they do change the wording or requirements than we will have a lot more people that should get it as well.

JD2780
04-02-2013, 12:55 AM
I agree with Joe as well. It's a bad situation. What about the troops killed by the army douche in Kuwait back in 03? He attacked us troops in a deployed location and was a Muslim. Granted not in direct contact with AQ. Not an easy situation to deal with.

Quixotic
04-02-2013, 12:56 AM
So I am guessing you and Joe believe there is some ritual or rite of passage to become a terrorist?

I wouldn't call it a ritual, or rite of passage, but there is a big difference between talking with a group and actually joining it. Duuuuu.

Anyone who yells "Allah Akbar" and starts shooting anyone is a terrorist.

Dead wrong, but of course you know that.

Any communications with a terrorist group is just additional evidence.

Dead wrong again.

So you and Joe agree with this administration that the attack was just work place violence?

Uh, yea.

SSgt Bales was not charged as a terrorist because he did not have communications with any terrorist groups and there isn't any indication he yelled "Allah Akbar".

Not my point, think on it some more.

Mr. Squid
04-02-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm picking a side too, the side that the Fort Hood tragedy does not warrant a Purple Heart for anyone involved. Even if myself or a loved one had fallen victim, I still would oppose the Purple Heart. It just doesn't fit.

RobotChicken
04-02-2013, 04:43 AM
I'm picking a side too, the side that the Fort Hood tragedy does not warrant a Purple Heart for anyone involved. Even if myself or a loved one had fallen victim, I still would oppose the Purple Heart. It just doesn't fit.

:doh Good;it's settled now! Can we just put him in front of a firing squad and end this? :croc

Banned
04-02-2013, 04:51 AM
To be fair... yes - Hassan is a Muslim extremist. But getting attacked by an American Muslim extremist in 2012 doesn't merit a purple heart anymore than getting attacked by an American Nazi in 1944 merited a purple heart.

Just because a lone wacko happens to be a Nazi doesn't mean he is taking direction from the Third Reich... anymore than being a Muslim means someone is taking direction from an Islamic terrorist group.

CrustySMSgt
04-02-2013, 05:59 AM

Those who died or were injured on 9-11 got Purple Hearts. The precedent has been set. If this guy was your run of the mill nut job who got fired and shot the joint up, 100% agree! But his sole mission was to carry out a personal jihad as part of the greater radical Islamic war on the West, carried out on a military target. No brainer... they got this wrong!

Banned
04-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Those who died or were injured on 9-11 got Purple Hearts. The precedent has been set. If this guy was your run of the mill nut job who got fired and shot the joint up, 100% agree! But his sole mission was to carry out a personal jihad as part of the greater radical Islamic war on the West, carried out on a military target. No brainer... they got this wrong!

Yes, and I mentioned that in my earlier post - the 9/11 military victims were eligible for Purple Hearts because that was a planned attack against us by a foreign enemy. From all we've been told... Hassan was just a douchebag who acted alone.

garhkal
04-02-2013, 07:22 AM

While that is all true, the fact that they were still injured/killed BY a terrorist should still grant them the purple heart.. just like those lost and injured during 9/11 did.

Quixotic
04-02-2013, 09:19 AM
While that is all true, the fact that they were still injured/killed BY a terrorist should still grant them the purple heart.. just like those lost and injured during 9/11 did.

And exactly who decided he was a terrorist? And on what grounds?

The Cooler
04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
there's a lot of gray area as far as the purple hearts are concerned. but i'll say this.. if you think this was "workplace violence" you've lost your GD mind. he was a terrorist piece of sh*t and if you can't grasp that i've got nothing else to say to you.

Quixotic
04-02-2013, 01:02 PM
there's a lot of gray area as far as the purple hearts are concerned. but i'll say this.. if you think this was "workplace violence" you've lost your GD mind. he was a terrorist piece of sh*t and if you can't grasp that i've got nothing else to say to you.

Exactly who decided he was a terrorist? And on what grounds?

JD2780
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM

Because TC said so. You must've lost your GD mind.

I guess anybody that yells Allah Akbar and shoots people is a terrorist.

Quixotic
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Because TC said so. You must've lost your GD mind.

I guess anybody that yells Allah Akbar and shoots people is a terrorist.

You don't get to run around and arbitrarily label someone a terrorist.

Who decided he was a terrorist, and on what grounds? And please don't tell me Fox News either.

JD2780
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
You don't get to run around and arbitrarily label someone a terrorist.

Who decided he was a terrorist, and on what grounds? And please don't tell me Fox News either.

Keep your pants on. I was agreeing with you. Besides, all news sources are the same. So Fox News msnbc or CNN would do it and it be ok since they're all the same!!! Just ask JB.

Not trying jot start a cross thread battle, just a joke.

The Cooler
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
i encourage you guys to stop by killeen if you ever get the chance and explain workplace violence to these people. shameful.

Pullinteeth
04-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Except the criteria says international terrorist...like oh, I don't know, the 9/11 terrorists. A home-grown wacko doesn't qualify...

i encourage you guys to stop by killeen if you ever get the chance and explain workplace violence to these people. shameful.

They can pick you up on the way to OKC to show you what home-grown terrorism looks like...

JD2780
04-02-2013, 02:06 PM

I've got plenty of buddies stationed at hood that I talk to on a regular basis. Many of them already understand it.

garhkal
04-02-2013, 09:57 PM

Lets see.. That he was in communication with Alwalki, a known terrorist for one.

Quixotic
04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Lets see.. That he was in communication with Alwalki, a known terrorist for one.

Irrelevant, even the FBI has already weighted in on that.

Quixotic
04-02-2013, 10:11 PM

Sure, somebody needs too.

Mr. Squid
04-02-2013, 11:04 PM
:doh Good;it's settled now! Can we just put him in front of a firing squad and end this? :crocPut who in front of a firing squad?