PDA

View Full Version : The law passed...is TA back yet?

VFFTSGT
03-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Or is the DOD/AF going to drag it's feet on it?

Pullinteeth
03-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Of course they are going to drag their feet... Why? Because the bill allows them to.

VFFTSGT
03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Of course they are going to drag their feet... Why? Because the bill allows them to.

Are you serious? I haven't read the text...

Looking at taking some classes, guess I might just pay for them myself.

SomeRandomGuy
03-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Or is the DOD/AF going to drag it's feet on it?

Congress passed a law to continue TA but they did not allocate funding for it. So basically they said, "You want a pony son? Sure! you can have a pony" Then when you asked about the pony mom and dad said, "Well, son we are still working on how we are going to pay for it but we promise we will get you a pony someday"

Pullinteeth
03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Here is what it says;

Sec. 8129. (a) Requirement To Continue Provision of Tuition Assistance for Members of the Armed Forces- The Secretaries of the military departments shall carry out tuition assistance programs for members of the Armed Forces during the remainder of fiscal year 2013 using amounts specified in subsection (b).

(b) Amounts- The minimum amount used by the Secretary of a military department for tuition assistance for members of an Armed Force under the jurisdiction of that Secretary pursuant to subsection (a) shall be not less than--

(1) the amount appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act for tuition assistance programs for members of that Armed Force, minus

(2) an amount that is not more than the percentage of the reduction required to the Operation and Maintenance account for that Armed Force for fiscal year 2013 by the budget sequester required by section 251A of the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr933/text

Robert F. Dorr
03-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Did it ever really go away? Was any real person actually denied real tuition assistance?

imported_AFKILO7
03-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Did it ever really go away? Was any real person actually denied real tuition assistance?

Yes Bob anyone who attempts or attempted to apply after it was cut was denied.

RobotChicken
03-29-2013, 11:15 PM
:plane Has the F-35a,b,c been delivered combat ready? :deadhorse

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
03-30-2013, 01:46 AM
All I know is that this issue is bigger than the furlough or flying hours.

CrustySMSgt
03-30-2013, 05:48 AM
got a "heads up" email today... it should be back sometime in April. As I said before, the money will have to come from somewhere, so they're still working on what to cut to pull the funds back in to the program.

VFFTSGT
03-30-2013, 07:12 AM
got a "heads up" email today... it should be back sometime in April. As I said before, the money will have to come from somewhere, so they're still working on what to cut to pull the funds back in to the program.

Cut the cable off at all the bases would be a start.

Robert F. Dorr
03-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Yes Bob anyone who attempts or attempted to apply after it was cut was denied.

Would bet the fix will be retroactive.

imported_KnuckleDragger
03-30-2013, 12:09 PM

I'll take that bet.

How about a wager of 50 internetz?

CrustySMSgt
03-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Here's $2.1M that could have been kicked in to the kitty. Like we need to show them we'd kick their ass.

I do gotta say a 75 hour flight is pretty impressive though!

Air Force says B-2 mission over South Korea cost $2.1M
By RICHARD LARDNER
The Associated Press Tweet

Published: March 29, 2013
WASHINGTON — The Air Force says it cost $2.1 million to send two nuclear-capable B-2 bombers on a training exercise over South Korea that was widely viewed as a show of force in response to weeks of threats from North Korea.

The service's Global Strike Command said Friday in a statement that the total flight time for the B-2s was 75 hours. The aircraft made the more than 6,500-mile round trip from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri to a South Korean island range on Thursday.

North Korea has threatened nuclear strikes on Washington and Seoul.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the decision to send the B-2s for drills with South Korea was part of normal military exercises with a close ally and not intended to provoke a reaction from North Korea.

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-says-b-2-mission-over-south-korea-cost-2-1m-1.214315

grimreaper
03-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Here's $2.1M that could have been kicked in to the kitty. Like we need to show them we'd kick their ass.

Yup, we have already demonstrated many times that our bombers can fly from CONUS to hit targets in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I talked to a couple of B-2 pilots who did some missions into Afghanistan back at the start of OEF. They said that by the time their bombs hit the ground and the Taliban realized they were being attacked, they were 27 miles away.

RobotChicken
03-30-2013, 07:00 PM

:clock Just 'pecking around' with numbers, B-2's need lots of maintenance right? If my numbers are off any please correct me for I have no 'RFD' sources for this but rely on general articles on them. Cost per hour to operate-$135,000X75hrs=$10,250,000....Maintenance=1 hr aloft X 55 ground hrs = 4,125 man hrs X $0.00 ? I think that $2.1 million was for a piper cub! :closed_2 Oh..forgot tanker support under the same situation as above for a real total cost including all them 'FINE' box lunches they took with them. :frusty

Pullinteeth
03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
I'll take that bet.

How about a wager of 50 internetz?

I would also take that bet. It would actually cost MORE to make it retroactive (in addition to the actual cost of the tuition). The main barrier is that you are currently required to be approved for TA prior to enrolling in your class.

My question is that the legislation says that they can't spend any more OR any less than they did last year. What happens if they don't spend as much on TA as they did last year?

VFFTSGT
03-30-2013, 11:02 PM

Yeah, that was just a small waste of money.

akruse
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah, that was just a small waste of money.

How so?????

VFFTSGT
03-30-2013, 11:57 PM
How so?????

What practical purpose did it serve? None.

akruse
03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
What practical purpose did it serve? None.

Training. Plain and simple. The B-2 mission was exactly what it was designed for (other than not dropping the big one) and exercised a whole range of other support functions along with it. You can't cut/slash/burn everything. Stick to your cable rants.

VFFTSGT
03-31-2013, 12:18 AM
Training. Plain and simple.

Which needed to be such a long flight? In a time when we are cancelling every other exercise, training, and inspection...

akruse
03-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Which needed to be such a long flight? In a time when we are cancelling every other exercise, training, and inspection...

Unless we plan on dropping 82 JDAMS on Chicago or something, the long distance flight is needed to exercise its mission set.

efmbman
03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Unless we plan on dropping 82 JDAMS on Chicago or something, the long distance flight is needed to exercise its mission set.

I mostly agree with exercising correctly... train as you fight and all that. But for the official statement to claim this action was not to provoke North Korea was just BS. To even make the claim is provacative in my opinion. Just call it what it is.

Airborne
03-31-2013, 12:39 AM

So why didnt they fly to Australia?

akruse
03-31-2013, 12:41 AM
So why didnt they fly to Australia?

Maybe next time?

Pullinteeth
04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Back in mid-April...100%...

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2013/03/air-force-tuition-033013/

It does also say that they are looking at restricting who can use it and when though....

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
04-02-2013, 02:23 AM
It does also say that they are looking at restricting who can use it and when though....

I can't wait to see the logic they use there, and the bitching that will follow.

CrustySMSgt
04-02-2013, 06:06 AM
If you're enlisted and close to finishing your Masters, I'd knock out as much as you can between now & Oct! Same goes for lower degrees; I can't see them funding it to 100%, so the more classes you knock out between now & the end of the FY, the more money you'll save!

Pullinteeth
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
I can't wait to see the logic they use there, and the bitching that will follow.

Officers only....after all, they are more smarterer and would make better use of it...

VFFTSGT
04-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Any word out there yet? Mid-April is essentially here...

CrustySMSgt
04-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Haven't heard anything other than they are trying to figure out where to pull the money from, that it should come back as is was for the rest of the FY and expect changes in FY14.

BOSS302
04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
I just recently stumbled through the FAFSA process for student aid. What a mess that process is.

VFFTSGT
04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
It's back.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123343915

VFFTSGT
04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
It's back.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123343915

Pullinteeth
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand....bet lost (at least as far as reservists are concerned);

"On 10 April 13, the Services restarted Military Tuition Assistance (TA) IAW the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act of 2013. For the remainder of FY13, we will process Reserve TA (ResTA) requests using the same policies and procedures in place prior to the suspension of ResTA with the following exception: retroactive TA requests for courses taken during the suspension period and for which students used any other funding source will not be considered. ResTA requests in the system prior to suspension and subsequently approved will be honored"