PDA

View Full Version : 1957 chevy truck (once navy owned)

mama's girl
03-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Hello,

I would like to ask if any one would like to help me get some information on a 57 chevy truck that was once owned by the navy department, my son is trying to restore it and needs some help, I am hoping to get a story started or some kind of media, to take an interest in saving this truck, it could be a rarity, my son has had it for 20 years and had taken it to a body shop and was scammed for over $5,000. (a long story) if any one has some info it would be appreciated, thank you. mama's girl

Greg
03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't know what kind of information you would require from the US Navy, on a truck over fifty years old, other than mileage, and maintenance, but here's a link for a website for some folks who have always had a very good reputation publishing repair manuals:

http://repair.chiltondiy.com/Pub/DIY/Static/Truck_Repair.aspx

mama's girl
04-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Hey thanks for all your answers (or not) to my question, still I was thinking ....some navy news or magazine might help my son and maybe do a story on this truck , it could be a very RARE ITEM, could be famous, loading ships in the time of viet nam war era, or be nice and help restore it. really do appreciate your input, thanks again to you. mama's girl

USMC0341
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Hey thanks for all your answers (or not) to my question, still I was thinking ....some navy news or magazine might help my son and maybe do a story on this truck , it could be a very RARE ITEM, could be famous, loading ships in the time of viet nam war era, or be nice and help restore it. really do appreciate your input, thanks again to you. mama's girl

OR; could be you just want someone else to foot the bill and or restore this truck for your son. This isn't Chop-Cut-Rebuild, this is a military website and you are coming off as looking for a handout.

ExChief
04-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Why spend the time and money trying to restore a piece of junk? :deadhorse
Every Navy owned vehicle I have driven has been a total piece of shit!:rip
At one command we had a ??year Plymouth station wagon...Navy grey...no power (or badly needed a brake job) brakes.
On a cold morning, you had to rev the engine for 5 minutes after you started the car, or else it would stall.
Then there was the "mystery year" Dodge crew cab pickup...You could be in the left turn lane, and could not make a normal turn on to a street without backing up. The truck had a very unsafe turning radius. The lack of power brakes and a manual 3 speed column shift were also a plus. :rapture These vehicles had equipment I have never seen...or ever want to see installed on a vehicle. The mechanics at the base garage could work miracles with chicken wire and duct tape.

Pullinteeth
04-12-2013, 12:54 PM
I would like to see pictures... If the OP was REALLY looking for info, she would have provided some information... VIN, where it was bought, why she THINKS is was once full of semen.....:car

mama's girl
05-16-2013, 04:49 AM
HELLO, I am so sorry that I have hit a nerve with a lot of you, some of you have made fun of me and given answers that are really not helping, I wonder if you really needed help and had a NAVY owned truck that ment a lot to you, if I read your story, and could help you I would, so have a good night. mama's girl once I find out how to post picts. I will

forcedj
05-11-2014, 03:47 AM
Not quite sure what you're looking for here. Verbiage on what this type of truck might have been used for? What Navy command may have had possession of the truck? Raising money for the restoration? Or where to get parts for the restoration? If you're looking for info...this might be the right place. But if you're looking for anything else you're probably striking out. To any of us that have driven military vehicles...they're just a car/truck/etc with a different paint job. So my advice to you (your son) is to restore it mechanically to the factory specs just like any restorer would do for any old car, and the paint job to however the Navy was doing it at that time. Not really any reason for any of us to be overly interested in the project. Good luck.

Dan

Max Power
05-11-2014, 04:23 PM
http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/picture.php?albumid=10015&pictureid=91041

TJMAC77SP
05-11-2014, 08:39 PM

HaHa.....another necro-thread. Never noticed it

Absinthe Anecdote
05-12-2014, 04:57 PM
HELLO, I am so sorry that I have hit a nerve with a lot of you, some of you have made fun of me and given answers that are really not helping, I wonder if you really needed help and had a NAVY owned truck that ment a lot to you, if I read your story, and could help you I would, so have a good night. mama's girl once I find out how to post picts. I will

Necro post or not, I got a good laugh at her haughty response.

She thinks that truck might be worth more because it was owned by the Navy, not likely.

Rusty Jones
05-12-2014, 05:16 PM
If anything, it should be worth LESS. On the base where I work, there are quite a few Chevy Silverados that are of the 2007 to 2013 model years... they're all painted in a matte grey color, and when you look at the interior... they've all been gutted out and replaced with a shitty interior. They clearly have some sort of "operational" purpose, though I don't know what it is. These trucks likely belong to the riverine squadron commands.

I've driven "govies" (as "duty driver") before, but they were vehicles with the original paint job and interior left in tact.

I'm guessing this Chevy truck isn't the latter case, as she'd be less likely to know that it was even owned by the Navy.

forcedj
05-12-2014, 09:03 PM

OK, blame me. I didn't look at the date the thread was started, nor the date of its last post. But for crap sake why are there such old theads on the first page? They were all from 2013. Why weren't there any 2014 threads there?

Dan