PDA

View Full Version : North Korea's threats

CommunityEditor
03-28-2013, 10:57 PM
N. Korea puts forces at top combat posture

By Hyung-Jin Kim - The Associated Press
Posted : Tuesday Mar 26, 2013 8:02:49 EDT

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea’s military warned Tuesday that its artillery and rocket forces are at their highest-level combat posture in the latest in a string of bellicose threats aimed at South Korea and the United States.

The announcement came as South Koreans marked the third anniversary of the sinking of a warship in which 46 South Korean sailors died. Seoul says the ship was hit by a North Korean torpedo, while the North denies involvement.

Read the full story here: http://www.navytimes.com/news/2013/03/ap-nkorea-puts-artillery-forces-at-top-combat-posture-032613/

Q: Are North Korea's threats to its southern neighbor and U.S. military bases in the region all talk or should the Navy do more to prepare?

Igloowhite
03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
The North is looking for another handout of food and aid....the North's leadership knows that once they actually lash out then it's over for them....regardless of China's sponsorship.

BURAWSKI
03-29-2013, 12:03 AM
It seems a little different this time. They are yelling louder and acting more and more reckless. Also, this younger fellow is weak. And he knows it. The army is advising him to take a stand and prove himself worthy. He's clearly living in a delusion edged on by their fanatical military machine. Their people don't want a war; shoot most of them are being starved and living in concentration camps or a state of eternal fear from all the lies their government feeds them (no pun intended). It's possible that his government might implode. Could make for a very dangerous, unstable future.

RobotChicken
03-29-2013, 12:10 AM
:spy SNAFU,FUBAR, and just a punk of a 'loser' in charge; sounds like Hati. :clock

KellyinAvon
03-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Here's Kim the Latest's, latest:

North Korea's leader says he is preparing his rocket forces to "settle accounts with the U.S." after the U.S. deployed B-2 stealth bombers to South Korea
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/28/us-deploys-b-2-stealth-bombers-over-south-korea/

Settle accounts? Who is this guy? Michael Corleone?

RobotChicken
03-29-2013, 12:24 AM

North Korea's leader says he is preparing his rocket forces to "settle accounts with the U.S." after the U.S. deployed B-2 stealth bombers to South Korea
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/28/us-deploys-b-2-stealth-bombers-over-south-korea/

:spy Then Generals in S Korea better put that guy on a curfew like he did with our guys and a time out corner to boot. Can they spank him,bread and water for a week? Bomb him with watermelons for good measure? :kiss

SeaLawyer
03-29-2013, 03:52 PM
It truly is ironic how history repeats itself. Although slightly different, it's a repeat of the Korean War of the 50's--Communists supporting North Korea and Democracy defending South Korea. Much like how Hitler started WWII, this, too, seems to be "unfinished" business of a previous, unresolved war.

SeaLawyer
03-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Let's "make him an offer he can't refuse" !!! Does anyone have a spare horse head laying around?

KellyinAvon
03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Let's "make him an offer he can't refuse" !!! Does anyone have a spare horse head laying around?

None in nk, they ate 'em!

Steve45213
03-29-2013, 05:03 PM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I have long considered it most useful to imaging the DPRK regime as essentially an organized crime family with the accoutrements of state power (e.g., an army, a navy, etc.). Everything it does, like a mob organization, is done with the best interests of the leadership at the forefront. Why else would they try to develope nukes while half the population or more starves?

My two cents: If the DPRK overtly attacks the ROK or the US, the PRC will shore up their eastern border with the DPRK and offer almost no aid. The main combat will be over in 30-60 days and will devolve into guerilla fighting in the mountains which will end once an amnesty deal is struck for all but the most senior leaders (and maybe even a few of them). The PRC will support a unified Korean peninsula under ROK control so long as US forces don't stray too far north of the 38th parallel.

garhkal
04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
The North is looking for another handout of food and aid....the North's leadership knows that once they actually lash out then it's over for them....regardless of China's sponsorship.

Perhaps if we (and the other nations) didn't always cave into them, they would finally learn that doing this saber rattling is meaingless.

KellyinAvon
04-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Perhaps if we (and the other nations) didn't always cave into them, they would finally learn that doing this saber rattling is meaingless.

Roger that Garhkal. The trouble is there has been money in saber rattling. A line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid keeps coming into my mind here, "If he'd pay me what it's costing him to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him!" That doesn't apply here; Kim ain't left for Bolivia and he's still saber rattling north of the 38th parallel just like the Kims who came before. Why? Because it pays to do so.

BURAWSKI
04-01-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm reminded of the movie Back to School scene with Rodney Dangerfield as the student and Sam Kenison as the history teacher:

Professor Terguson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455630/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): You remember that thing we had about 30 years ago called the Korean conflict? And how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn't cross the 38th parallel and push those rice-eaters back to the Great Wall of China?
Professor Terguson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455630/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): [rips a desk apart] Then take the f**ing wall apart

[shouts]
Professor Terguson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455630/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): brick by brick and nuke them back into the f**ing stone age forever? Tell me why! How come? Say it! Say it!

Thornton Melon (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001098/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): [incensed] All right. I'll say it. 'Cause Truman was too much of a *pussy wimp* to let MacArthur go in there
[shouts]
Thornton Melon (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001098/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): and blow out those Commie bastards!
Professor Terguson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455630/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Good answer. Good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you.
Thornton Melon (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001098/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): [chuckling to his classmates] Good teacher. He really seems to care. About what I have no idea.

We really should have taken care of this back in 1953. So many of their people have died and suffered; that's a crime in and of itself. I think the reason everyone caves into this guy is because the possibility does exist that this guy could use nukes to start a war. It wouldn't take much of a border clash or some other minor incident to balloon it into a war. The guy is delusional and quickly proving himself to be a nutcase. The NK military is behind all of this. He's just being steered into the direction the military wants him to go because he's so naive and weak.

RobotChicken
04-01-2013, 02:07 AM
:blah Nothing will happen now in these Pussy PC Political Posturing Pandering Pricks for leaders we got. Happy Easter! :panda

Banned
04-01-2013, 05:21 AM
:blah Nothing will happen now in these Pussy PC Political Posturing Pandering Pricks for leaders we got. Happy Easter! :panda

Are you saying something SHOULD happen? Just clarifying.

RobotChicken
04-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Are you saying something SHOULD happen? Just clarifying.

YEA, cut 'em off from the rest of the world. Naval blockade his $ss and go in and get the Pueblo back for starters.

Chief Bosun
04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
North Korea has gone down this road before. The problem here is reliable intelligence is so difficult to get with regard to what they are really doing you almost have to assume they are going to cry wolf until they feel we are simply dismissing their actions as more bluster and bombast.

Yeah, we could mop the deck with them. However, there could be a pretty steep toll in lives as they have had more than enough time to establish their fifth column in South Korea to make life interesting behind the lines, and this time we know they have weapons of mass destruction available, unlike the situation with Iraq.

At least in this case it appears their only major friends, the Red Chinese, are getting tired of their antics.

RobotChicken, we had our chance to recover the Pueblo when it was moved from one location to another via international waters. For that matter, we had our chance to not even let them take it to begin with and for reasons that will probably remain unknown stood by and let them take it and the crew.

Pullinteeth
04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
I know this is a bit odd but bear with me for a minute here.. What would happen if we just packed our shit and went home? Do you REALLY think China would back NK in a war against SK if we weren't involved? Do you REALLY think NK would win? Why do we really care one way or another? NV beat the hell out of SV when we left there and we are still butthurt about that one-I kind of get that one because they were beating US when we left but NK? I just don't see them having the ability to DO anything....nor do I see why it is OUR problem if they do...

AJBIGJ
04-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I know this is a bit odd but bear with me for a minute here.. What would happen if we just packed our shit and went home? Do you REALLY think China would back NK in a war against SK if we weren't involved? Do you REALLY think NK would win? Why do we really care one way or another? NV beat the hell out of SV when we left there and we are still butthurt about that one-I kind of get that one because they were beating US when we left but NK? I just don't see them having the ability to DO anything....nor do I see why it is OUR problem if they do...

I think there's merit to the approach honestly. I think a lot of China/US mutual antagonism stems from our continued presence there, maybe not so much as say our investments in Taiwan but I do think China and NK make uneasy bedfellows at the very best of times. Take away the US element, South Korea poses no threat to China by itself, and China is interested in stability in the Korean peninsula at the very least (not to mention within its own borders).

garhkal
04-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Roger that Garhkal. The trouble is there has been money in saber rattling. A line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid keeps coming into my mind here, "If he'd pay me what it's costing him to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him!" That doesn't apply here; Kim ain't left for Bolivia and he's still saber rattling north of the 38th parallel just like the Kims who came before. Why? Because it pays to do so.

Exactly.. if we didn't keep paying up, maybe they would learn to Stop doing it.

Honestly i have spend dream afte dream of thinking up ways to take care of NK totally.. From finding some potent as heck telekinetic to cause a localized mass earthquake, to erecting impenetrable force field around the entire NK border that goes 50ft above the ground (10 above buildings).. not evn air gets in..and just choking the entire country into extinction.

Chief Bosun
04-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Some of this goes back to the Cold War policy of containment - OK, the Reds got their territory, now we stop them from getting more. In South Korea it's worked; in Vietnam it didn't.

Part of it involves face - we pretty much established we were paper tigers at the end of Vietnam due to a lot of the political male bovine droppings going on at the time. Since then we have been working on showing the world that while we are once again a superpower, we have not yet shown the fortitude to get behind a cause and bear the deprivations needed to support it - haven't done that since WWII. We want both "guns and butter" and forgotten that you can't necessarily have both.

As to the ability of North Korea to cause some damage, I think they can. Their military equipment may be antiquated, but they do have a large motivated standing military. They also have done a good job of working out the logistics of getting folks behind the lines to be in a position to cause some mayhem.

Will they get their tails kicked? Yes. Can they give us a lot of dings and scrapes in the process? Yes. Will the Red Chinese get involved? Yes, if it is in their national interest. After all, they share a border with North Korea and have a stake in maintaining some stability in that area - the don't want a bunch of refugees fleeing over the border into Red China.

Will the Iranians get involved? Probably, but not in a case of direct action against the US - rather, again using their covert assets to hit at soft targets both inside and outside the US to cause some turmoil.

And the beat goes on ....