PDA

View Full Version : Daughter passed tech school

jarhead dad
03-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Proud dad today, she will be Colorado bound next month. Newest space cadet!!

RFScott
03-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Congrats! What will she be doing exactly?

jarhead dad
03-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Congrats! What will she be doing exactly?

She will be SBIRS at buckley

BRUWIN
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Awesome. Glad to hear she got through that injury.

jarhead dad
03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Forgot about that, she stayed a week extra at lack land for that, she's fine still able to pass the AF pt test!! :-)

Nickymaz
03-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Forgot about that, she stayed a week extra at lack land for that, she's fine still able to pass the AF pt test!! :-)

And that's what really matters in today's AF!

Robert F. Dorr
03-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Good news. But what's SIRBS?

CrustySMSgt
03-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Congrats! My daughter is 2.5 week in to basic!

And sorry, I've had no luck tracking down a patch for you. :(

http://www.losangeles.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=5514

I don't know why I still bother to take 8 seconds out of my life to Google things for you... you'd think I'd have given up by now...

Drackore
03-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Because no matter how hard you try to be Crusty...you're still a leader that helps first, regrets later. :)

And Jarhead Dad - congrats to you and your kid. We might all sit here and bitch, whine, and complain (because it's a good place to vent frustrations without being known) but overall, if we hated the AF as much as we bitch about it - we wouldn't be in the AF. It's a great job at the end of the day.

I don't know why I still bother to take 8 seconds out of my life to Google things for you... you'd think I'd have given up by now...

technomage1
03-29-2013, 06:19 AM
Awesome. Glad she was able to overcome her injury. Best wishes on her future success!

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 07:52 AM

Missile warning satellite stuff, it's top secret, if I knew I would tell you!! :-)

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 07:54 AM
And that's what really matters in today's AF!

I know that's why I put that in here had to get the mandatory bitching about pt, and the required pt post in every post!! :-)

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 07:57 AM
You do it because the original writer was too lazy to convey his meaning. Even after looking at the link, I don't know what the term means. I'm really glad the daughter has overcome challenges and is moving smartly forward in life. I would be proud of her, too. And if I were telling others, I would want to be sure they understand my meaning. Oh, and please don't tell me this is a term in general use that everyone else understands, because it isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-Based_Infrared_System

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Congrats! My daughter is 2.5 week in to basic!

And sorry, I've had no luck tracking down a patch for you. :(

Glad to here that your daughter is now in the club,, hope all is going well for her in BMT and the MTI's are being very kind to her!! :-) no worries about the patch, I'll find one at some point. Thanks for looking again. Btw are you back in the land of the big BX yet?

CrustySMSgt
03-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Glad to here that your daughter is now in the club,, hope all is going well for her in BMT and the MTI's are being very kind to her!! :-) no worries about the patch, I'll find one at some point. Thanks for looking again. Btw are you back in the land of the big BX yet?

Not yet. I come home in may on R&R for her graduation and then come back over for 2 months and then I'm done in Aug!

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Not yet. I come home in may on R&R for her graduation and then come back over for 2 months and then I'm done in Aug!

Well hope all is well in sand land, and I bet you are looking forward to graduation, your turn to be the proud pappa!!

CrustySMSgt
03-29-2013, 08:24 AM
You do it because the original writer was too lazy to convey his meaning. Even after looking at the link, I don't know what the term means. I'm really glad the daughter has overcome challenges and is moving smartly forward in life. I would be proud of her, too. And if I were telling others, I would want to be sure they understand my meaning. Oh, and please don't tell me this is a term in general use that everyone else understands, because it isn't.
I knew what it meant because I'm a Space Command guy. Do I know what it does, no, but if I cared I'd go look. I don't expect the OP to write a 12 page thesis explaining what it is. I know I'm :deadhorse and my behavior meets the definition of insanity, but I'll say it again... the posts here aren't journalistic endeavors. Those posting aren't required to cite sources, spell everything out and dumb it down to the lowest common denominator. It is incumbent on the reader to make the decision if they care enough to get the back story or do the research. Do you have a vested interest in knowing what job his daughter is going to be doing? If so, then the information is out there; if not, then move on to the next post/thread.

Robert F. Dorr
03-29-2013, 08:30 AM

I'm going to try this again. Here goes.

You can Google away until you're blue in the face but Google cannot tell you what the writer intends.

The item you came up with tells me nothing about the writer or what was on his mind when he elected to use a little-known abbreviation rather than writing in plain English.

It's exciting to learn of the daughter's success. Most people who post here do not mention family members. I do not, with the exception of my Labrador retriever, Autumn. If I did want to tell the world about a family member's successes, I would do so proudly and would choose words that others can understand. If a reader has to guess my meaning, with or without help from Google, then I haven't succeeded.

Try to grasp this. Google can't tell you, or me, the writer's intent. Google doesn't know that.

KellyinAvon
03-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Congrats Jarhead Dad/Jarhead Dad's daughter.

CrustySMSgt
03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm going to try this again. Here goes.

You can Google away until you're blue in the face but Google cannot tell you what the writer intends.

The item you came up with tells me nothing about the writer or what was on his mind when he elected to use a little-known abbreviation rather than writing in plain English.

It's exciting to learn of the daughter's success. Most people who post here do not mention family members. I do not, with the exception of my Labrador retriever, Autumn. If I did want to tell the world about a family member's successes, I would do so proudly and would choose words that others can understand. If a reader has to guess my meaning, with or without help from Google, then I haven't succeeded.

Try to grasp this. Google can't tell you, or me, the writer's intent. Google doesn't know that.

you crack me up... this has GOT to be a bit, because no one could possibly be this thick headed or unwilling to embrace all the resources available to them. He said his daughter is going to SBIRS; I posted the AF Fact Sheet on the Directorate that runs the program, how many satellites the system has and what they do. If that doesn't clearly tell you what SIBRS is, I can't help you. If you'd read his posts before, you'd know his daughter is a 1C6X1, Space System Operator. Seems a bit over the top for everyone to have to post footnotes to every post, refering the (turning your words back to you) LAZY reader to every historical post linked to the current post/conversation.

I don't know why I keep trying... I guess I'm a sucker, because we've had this discussion numerous times, with teh end result being me :frusty .

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Ok guys no fighting now, I just figured for the few that was following along in the journey of my daughter would know what was going on, and what she will be doing for the AF. SBIRS is a particular job in the 1C6 category of space systems operations. Other than that I don't know anything about it because its classified. Other than what can be found on the web by typing in "SBIRS"

Robert F. Dorr
03-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Ok guys no fighting now, I just figured for the few that was following along in the journey of my daughter would know what was going on, and what she will be doing for the AF. SBIRS is a particular job in the 1C6 category of space systems operations. Other than that I don't know anything about it because its classified. Other than what can be found on the web by typing in "SBIRS"

No fighting? This is the Air Force. I wish her success and feel good about the pride you have in her. But this latest message tells me you used a term whose meaning you don't know. Nothing wrong with that but you might have expressed it clearly. Good luck to her and to you.

Robert F. Dorr
03-29-2013, 10:04 AM
you crack me up... this has GOT to be a bit, because no one could possibly be this thick headed or unwilling to embrace all the resources available to them. He said his daughter is going to SBIRS; I posted the AF Fact Sheet on the Directorate that runs the program, how many satellites the system has and what they do. If that doesn't clearly tell you what SIBRS is, I can't help you. If you'd read his posts before, you'd know his daughter is a 1C6X1, Space System Operator. Seems a bit over the top for everyone to have to post footnotes to every post, refering the (turning your words back to you) LAZY reader to every historical post linked to the current post/conversation.

I don't know why I keep trying... I guess I'm a sucker, because we've had this discussion numerous times, with teh end result being me :frusty .

You refuse to understand. The question isn't what you or Google thinks the term means. The question is what the writer intended to convey. Communicating in simple, clear English does not mean having "to post footnotes to every post."

Drackore
03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Someone PLEASE post a picture of a hot well-busty Asian girl up here ASAP to dilute this Crusty vs crusty argument!

CrustySMSgt
03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Someone PLEASE post a picture of a hot well-busty Asian girl up here ASAP to dilute this Crusty vs crusty argument!

lol... all good on my end, I walked away shaking my head... :tape

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 12:50 PM

How about a replay of a couple airmen with kids hanging off of their mammary glands!! :-)

BRUWIN
03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
What is SIBRS?

imnohero
03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
What is SIBRS?

It's SBIRS...got a couple letters mixed up, It stands for Space Based Infra Red Surveillance

You know, one of those satellite imaging thingies.

Disclaimer: I have no intent. If I have an intent, you will never know what it is, because I won't tell, google won't tell, and you can't read minds. Ha Ha!

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
I posted it correctly and somewhere along the way the letters got mixed up, I think it was Dorr.

If you know what it is you can't tell anyone without having to kill them afterwards.

BENDER56
03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Congrats to your daughter and to you. Even with many of the changes that have occurred in the AF in the past decade, I'd still encourage people to join.

So when's she gonna get a log-in for this forum so she can learn to become jaded and cynical ahead of her peers?

Rainmaker
03-29-2013, 02:15 PM
What is SIBRS?

Rainmaker not sure either. But, word on the skreet is Phylicia got it. If you know her you Prolly should go visit a doctor.

sandsjames
03-29-2013, 02:33 PM
No fighting? This is the Air Force. I wish her success and feel good about the pride you have in her. But this latest message tells me you used a term whose meaning you don't know. Nothing wrong with that but you might have expressed it clearly. Good luck to her and to you.

I've come to realize that having a conversation, in writing, with you can be compared to watching a movie with a filmmaker. He's going to point at all of the flaws that aren't relevant to me actually enjoying the film.

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Congrats to your daughter and to you. Even with many of the changes that have occurred in the AF in the past decade, I'd still encourage people to join.

So when's she gonna get a log-in for this forum so she can learn to become jaded and cynical ahead of her peers?

She's had a log in since nov 2011, she posted a couple times while in DEP ( that's delayed entry program, Robert), she's been a little busy lately, I'm sure she will pick up the negative waves shortly!! :-) (that's a Kelly's Heros reference Robert)

jarhead dad
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Rainmaker not sure either. But, word on the skreet is Phylicia got it. If you know her you Prolly should go visit a doctor.

Is this what it means:
SBIRS= sypilis based irritating rash syndrome

Slyoldawg
04-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Hell, I retired so long ago I don't understand many things that are written in this forum. I do know that if I continue reading the thread that somewhere along the way someone (not naming any names) will bitch about using words he does not understand and some Crusty old guy will come along, pat him on the head and lead him by the hand through the explanation. So, with a little patience us older retirees will get the subject of the thread while avoiding any heartburn.:croc

GoatDriver57
09-14-2013, 03:51 PM
And God knows too SlyOldDog, there is plenty of 'heartburn' around, right Rusty?