PDA

View Full Version : USS STENNIS Group Commander Reprimanded

BURAWSKI
03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.stripes.com/news/uss-stennis-group-commander-reprimanded-1.213921#.UVSHbgHrIq0.email

This occurred recently but I was surprised that the initial complaint originated from the Commanding Officer of the USS STENNIS. I don't understand why the CO couldn't have tried to resolve that without filing a formal complaint against his senior.

RobotChicken
03-28-2013, 07:08 PM
:spy O.M.G.......Now this 'PC' crap has us turning on each other then supporting each other...."Divide and Conquer" is the 'Marxism' way to go....and it appears to be working.....:fencing

Greg
03-28-2013, 07:26 PM
This article gives some detail:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/us/rear-admiral-charles-m-gaouette-is-disciplined-by-navy.html?_r=0

BURAWSKI
03-28-2013, 07:44 PM
This article gives some detail:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/us/rear-admiral-charles-m-gaouette-is-disciplined-by-navy.html?_r=0

That article is a lot clearer about the reasons. I still think it should have been resolved in a closed-door setting. It looks like both of them were stellar officers. All this did was garner unfavorable publicity.

Greg
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
That article is a lot clearer about the reasons. I still think it should have been resolved in a closed-door setting. It looks like both of them were stellar officers. All this did was garner unfavorable publicity.

As far as the Admiral calling in question the CO's ship driving abilities on the bridge, in front of the watch-standers, this may have lacked decorum, but the immediacy of the moment may have dictated the Admirals response at that time. The article does state the incident happened while the carrier was in congested traffic.

As far as the racially insensitive remarks at a roast, maybe the attendees should have Don "hockey puck" Rickles emcee their next event. I'm sure anything else that follows will seem tame.

Salty Old Dog
04-23-2013, 07:20 PM
After Admiral Gaouette had ordered the captain to slow down as the vessel was steaming through ship traffic in the Malacca Strait in excess of 20 knots,

:faint

The admiral, in my opinion, had every right to hold the captain accountable for driving his ship recklessly. The Malacca Straits are one of the most heavily traveled areas in the world, and challenging to ANY ship driver. Having a "king of the road" attitude, and driving a 100K ton ship through there like it's a Corvette, are invitations to a major incident!

Hopefully the Navy has plans to shelve this commander too. :rant

Vrake
04-24-2013, 02:50 AM
No one wins when it reaches this level of the press. Both of them will have this come up if they ever go on to bigger or more importantly nowadays political commands.

navyskcs
04-24-2013, 07:26 PM
:spy O.M.G.......Now this 'PC' crap has us turning on each other then supporting each other...."Divide and Conquer" is the 'Marxism' way to go....and it appears to be working.....:fencing

Let's see, a SWO admiral with 31 years of experience driving submarines and ships telling an aviator captain who has at most 4 years experience driving ships to slow down? Who do you really think should have won that argument.....

Navy Mustang
07-16-2013, 10:25 PM
As far as the Admiral calling in question the CO's ship driving abilities on the bridge, in front of the watch-standers, this may have lacked decorum, but the immediacy of the moment may have dictated the Admirals response at that time. The article does state the incident happened while the carrier was in congested traffic.

As far as the racially insensitive remarks at a roast, maybe the attendees should have Don "hockey puck" Rickles emcee their next event. I'm sure anything else that follows will seem tame.

Likely the skipper was PO'd about being called out on the bridge and may have sought some payback, but hey that ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile! I'm sure I've seen far more daring stuff aired on site TV in years passed, but nowadays we are subject to the PC police. Oh and I love the Hockey Puck! Insult genious!